daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation All about taking us higher

Closed Thread

Old June 29th, 2005, 04:26 AM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 6031

Canjet : Unpressurized Flight Upsets Passengers

Unpressurized CanJet flight upsets passengers
Last updated Jun 28 2005 04:57 PM ADT
CBC News

Video : http://www.cbc.ca/clips/rm-lo/paisley_wildride050628.rm

Passengers on a CanJet flight from Toronto to Halifax are angry they weren't told the cabin would be unpressurized.

The flight was also diverted to Moncton due to fog in Halifax following an uncomfortable ride at 10,000 feet with no cabin pressure.

"If I had any inkling that plane wasn't pressurized, and all they were doing was sitting there trying to get clearance to fly at a low level, I never would have got on it," said passenger Steven Swinamer. "But we weren't even told that."

Swinamer was one of nearly a hundred passengers on the flight.

CanJet eventually offered the passengers on Flight 162 a bus ride or taxi from Moncton to Halifax Tuesday morning.

Tristan Mills, a passenger on Flight 162, said they were told that it was decided in Toronto to fly to Halifax at that altitude unpressurized after the plane developed problems on its initial departure Monday night at 9:15.

"People were starting to complain there was a problem because people's ears were hurting, there were many kids screaming and crying," Mills said. "Then they came on and said they had to turn the plane around due to the fact that we have a mechanical malfunction and we cannot pressurize the cabin."

Mills said the pilots flew the plane back to Toronto, departing again four hours later, this time flying at the significantly lower altitude.

A landing was attempted at Halifax International Airport, but was aborted by the pilot, and the flight was diverted to Moncton.

Ken Rowe, the chair and CEO of IMP Group International Inc., CanJet's parent company, says the plane was never in danger and the plane was diverted from Halifax due to the fog.

"The aircraft is perfectly safe," said Rowe. He said it's not a safety issue to fly at 10,000 feet, otherwise the pilot wouldn't have done it.

He said it makes for a slightly longer trip but passengers in the cabin wouldn't notice anything.

Rowe also said his flight and many others could not land at Halifax International Airport because of fog and runway repairs.

Wayne Morrison, a spokesperson with CanJet, says the airline was waiting for the fog to lift in Halifax before continuing the flight. However, he says passengers will be compensated for the inconvenience.

"If it was a comfort issue, absolutely no doubt about it, we will compensate the passengers in question and we will be in touch with every one of them," he said. The company won't say what the compensation will be.

The aircraft finally flew to Halifax Tuesday afternoon.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg | Moscow | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Sydney | Hanoi | Bangkok | Prague

New York, London, Seoul, Taipei, Mumbai, Tokyo, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old June 29th, 2005, 03:53 PM   #2
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Likes (Received): 3

.... Hmm talk about a flashback to flying in the 40s, what a nightmare that must've been.

Does it mention anywhere what type of aircraft they were on?
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2005, 02:01 PM   #3
CharlieP

Likes (Received): 501

I used to fly at up to 10,000 feet in an unpressurised single-engine aircraft during flying training and never particularly noticed it (though of course it took me a lot longer to climb that high )
Old June 30th, 2005, 02:07 PM   #4
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm
.... Hmm talk about a flashback to flying in the 40s, what a nightmare that must've been.

Does it mention anywhere what type of aircraft they were on?
I've flown countless times at altitudes of 10,000 feet & much lower, i never really considered it to be a nightmare!! I think this is being blown out of proportion.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2005, 02:11 PM   #5
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 1145

I never experienced any unpressurized flight, what it feel like?

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea  

Closed Thread