daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old November 26th, 2005, 02:35 AM   #1
terryfied
^ Xbox GT: ^

Likes (Received): 66

George Best

I know he wasn't born a Manc, but this genius helped to put the City of Manchester on the world map.

Sorry guys I'm a bit drunk otm, but it's been a sad day for me.

Sponsored Links

Old November 26th, 2005, 02:54 AM   #2
tlhf
Student Scum

Likes (Received): 0

This'll no doubt be deleted for being ridiculously off-topic, but while it's here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Best
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered,"
Legend!
tlhf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2005, 03:06 AM   #3
Martin G
Compulsive : Obsessive

Likes (Received): 40

That very same picture was also immortalised on an album sleeve in 1986:

147 metres: so is this the height of Birmingham's ambitions? The city surely deserves better. Arena Central / Arena Square / V Building The incredible shrinking tower: 245m --> 187m --> 175m --> 152m --> 150m --> 147m --> 143m --> ???m
Martin G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2005, 03:14 AM   #4
terryfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin G
That very same picture was also immortalised on an album sleeve in 1986:
I know it was! Where do you think I got it from?!
Old November 26th, 2005, 06:40 AM   #5
ForeverSalfordRed
BANNED

Wonder where he will spend eternity?
ForeverSalfordRed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2005, 08:02 PM   #6
Martin G

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryfied
I know it was! Where do you think I got it from?!

Oh - so that bit of handwriting at the bottom was YOUR handiwork then?
147 metres: so is this the height of Birmingham's ambitions? The city surely deserves better. Arena Central / Arena Square / V Building The incredible shrinking tower: 245m --> 187m --> 175m --> 152m --> 150m --> 147m --> 143m --> ???m
Old November 26th, 2005, 09:48 PM   #7
Longsight M13

Rest in peace, Georgie.
Longsight M13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2005, 10:12 PM   #8
Dazza

Sad that some Leeds and Liverpool fans couldn't bring themselves to pay respect to George.
That's a great album btw Martin G. Saw TWP at Birmingham Hummingbird c1989. Amazing concert!
Dazza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 02:17 AM   #9
terryfied

Quote:
Oh - so that bit of handwriting at the bottom was YOUR handiwork then?
You cheeky git!

I downloaded a picture, and I edited it in photoshop by adding some appropriate text.

What's wrong with that?
Old November 27th, 2005, 02:36 AM   #10
Martin G

Nothing at all! I certainly wasn't discrediting you or anything!
Old November 27th, 2005, 03:06 AM   #11
terryfied

Quote:
Nothing at all! I certainly wasn't discrediting you or anything!
Fair enough.

I thought you were accusing me of being deceitful!?

I'm not like that!

Now if someone was to put the Manc Beetham in Stockport; now that's a different story!

Great pics. BTW.
Old November 27th, 2005, 03:15 AM   #12
HOI
Noel 'Dashing' Edmonds

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza
Sad that some Leeds and Liverpool fans couldn't bring themselves to pay respect to George.
That's a great album btw Martin G. Saw TWP at Birmingham Hummingbird c1989. Amazing concert!

Its funny how Leeds fans got called scum but the Liverpool fans didn't (Newspapers) ;o
HOI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 12:46 PM   #13
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2441

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOI
Its funny how Leeds fans got called scum but the Liverpool fans didn't (Newspapers) ;o
The Scousers were a disgrace!

Hypercrites!
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 01:09 PM   #14
doka..dan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverSalfordRed
Wonder where he will spend eternity?
On top of the Beetham tower looking over Greater Manchester!!!!!!!
doka..dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 01:21 PM   #15
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOI

Oh you mustn't know about the New Law forbidding anything bad being said about scousers or Liverpool in general in the national press or media. Your punishment for this crime is a circus like parade round Liverpool apologising and begging for forgiveness before being told to kindly not come back. Hurrah for free speech
rolybling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 01:33 PM   #16
birminghamculture
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

George was a Wolves fan as a boy and yesterday watching the the fans at molineux on TV brought goose bumps to my skin. what a fitting tribute.

English fans, players honor Best
Daily News Wire Services

English soccer fans and players paid tribute Saturday to legendary striker George Best, who died Friday in a London hospital following decades of alcohol abuse.

All four professional divisions held moments of silence before each match, but fans in Wolverhampton instead broke into spontaneous applause, and those in Portsmouth chanted, "There's only one George Best."

The tribute was quickly halted before the Manchester City-Liverpool game in Manchester when fans began jeering. Man City and Liverpool are bitter rivals of Manchester United, the club for which Best starred in the 1960s and early 1970s.
birminghamculture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 01:48 PM   #17
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 702

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolybling
Oh you mustn't know about the New Law forbidding anything bad being said about scousers or Liverpool in general in the national press or media. Your punishment for this crime is a circus like parade round Liverpool apologising and begging for forgiveness before being told to kindly not come back. Hurrah for free speech
Blunted as ever Rolybling.

It is perhaps interesting to note the the source of the Spectator's anti-Liverpool leading article the week after Ken Bigley was murdered has its roots in Boris Johnson attending a Fulham-Man Utd match the day after Bigley's beheading and hearing a minority of scumbag Man Utd fans jeering during the period of silence.

This set him thinking about whether such public outpouring of grief that our nowadays common nationally (witness the aftermath of the July 7 bombings, for example) are appropriate. A valid point for discussion, I think.

However, the problem was that he didn't write the editorial himself but asked the Spectator's Simon Heffer (a nasty, bigotted, ultra-right wing piece of work, who no doubt hates all gays like Roly as much as he does Scousers) to pen the article. Jenkins couldn't believe his luck in that Bigley was from Liverpool and extended the idea into a general ignorant and hate-filled attack in the population of Liverpool, who had little connection with Bigley, who had left the city decade previous and had in fact barely reacted to his death at all. Lovely.

Still, it's an amusing irony that the ultimate root cause of the Spectator's attack on Scousers was a bunch of Mancs acting like scum during a minute's silence.

In the spirit of the Spectator I will now blame the bad behaviour of a minority of Liverpool support during the minute's silence for George Best at the City match on Man Utd.

Last edited by Awayo; November 27th, 2005 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Simon [i]Heffer[/i], not Jenkins - doh.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 01:54 PM   #18
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

Oh its always someone elses fault..no doubt
Old November 27th, 2005, 01:58 PM   #19
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 702

No you're right Roly. It is Scousers' fault that Ken Bigley was murdered, that some Mancs jeered during the minute's silence and that the Spectator attacked the city afterwards, accusing Liverpool fans of causing the Hillsborough disaster, which of course they did.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 02:16 PM   #20
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awayo
No you're right Roly. It is Scousers' fault that Ken Bigley was murdered, that some Mancs jeered during the minute's silence and that the Spectator attacked the city afterwards, accusing Liverpool fans of causing the Hillsborough disaster, which of course they did.

come on now, don't put words in my mouth. I never said any of that. Its funny you blaming someone else for that whole thing, quite telling i'd say...

FROM BBC ONLINE
The article, in the issue dated 16 October, says people in Liverpool "cannot accept that they might have made any contribution to their misfortunes, but seek rather to blame someone else for it, thereby deepening their sense of shared tribal grievance about the rest of society".