daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum > Glasgow Metro Area

Glasgow Metro Area Architecture, Design and Urban Issues in Glasgow

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 57 votes, 5.00 average.
Old March 3rd, 2015, 08:04 AM   #401
Charlie_

Likes (Received): 2706

Great to see that area filling up, more people is really all it needs.
Charlie_ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 26th, 2015, 09:52 PM   #402
KJI

Likes (Received): 12

Does anyone know what is going on at Maryhill Locks?

I cycle by there on way to work and over the last two days someone has been setting up large marquees and pontoons on the canal complete with thumping sound system and 24 hour 'event security' in yella jaikets.

Quite surprised as there is a pair of nesting swans in one of the basins and having been involved in several projects on waterfronts with nesting swans the ecology reports usually exclude any works that can cause distress to wildlife.

Noticed a RedBull liveried hot rod car today as well so guessing they are filming something.
KJI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 10:15 PM   #403
Charlie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJI View Post
Does anyone know what is going on at Maryhill Locks?

I cycle by there on way to work and over the last two days someone has been setting up large marquees and pontoons on the canal complete with thumping sound system and 24 hour 'event security' in yella jaikets.

Quite surprised as there is a pair of nesting swans in one of the basins and having been involved in several projects on waterfronts with nesting swans the ecology reports usually exclude any works that can cause distress to wildlife.

Noticed a RedBull liveried hot rod car today as well so guessing they are filming something.
There's a swimming event, i believe....some crazy people are gonna swim up the canal and climb nets between the locks!
Old March 26th, 2015, 10:29 PM   #404
KJI

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_ View Post
There's a swimming event, i believe....some crazy people are gonna swim up the canal and climb nets between the locks!
F*** swimming in there! I know people are making a superb effort at keeping it a little bit tidier these days but it's still full of all manner of stuff I'd rather not swim with.

Found the info http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/lo...caught-5406627

I am away this weekend or I would gone along to watch.
KJI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015, 10:51 AM   #405
Steppish

Likes (Received): 222

Grumble, grumble, I posted it in the sport thread cause I wasn't sure it really counted as regeneration, grumble, grumble...

I think the hardest part of the event will be forcing yourself to keep going when you know every stroke brings you closer to the car crash, yellow brick shite, new builds at the top.
Steppish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015, 06:07 PM   #406
drjimmy

Likes (Received): 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppish View Post
Grumble, grumble, I posted it in the sport thread cause I wasn't sure it really counted as regeneration, grumble, grumble...

I think the hardest part of the event will be forcing yourself to keep going when you know every stroke brings you closer to the car crash, yellow brick shite, new builds at the top.
Have another grumble on me. At least there's to be a bike hub up there soon.
drjimmy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 01:26 PM   #407
RapidTaco

Likes (Received): 412

More good news for the northern cultural quarter...

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile...nd-.1427709604

National Theatre of Scotland to create first permanent HQ in former Glasgow cash and carry warehouse
Published on 30 March 2015

Phil Miller
It is billed as Scotland's national "theatre without walls" but now it finally has a permanent home.

The National Theatre of Scotland is to create its first permanent headquarters in a former cash and carry warehouse in the north of Glasgow in a nearly £6m project.

The home - not a theatre, but a base for rehearsal rooms, community drama work, technical, office and costume facilities - is the NTS's first permanent home in its nine year history and will include one of the largest rehearsal rooms in Scotland.

The building has been disused since 2002 and lies in the Speirs Wharf area of Glasgow close to other buildings operated by Scottish Opera, the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland and the cultural hub of the Whisky Bond.

The building will be redeveloped by one of Scotland's leading architect firms, Gareth Hoskins Architects of Glasgow.

The total estimated cost for the new building is £5,875,000, with £3,454,481 of that price already secured.

This includes £2m from the Scottish Government, £500,000 from Glasgow City Council, nearly £470,000 from the Vacant and Derelict Land Fund and£400,000 The Robertson Trust

There has also been donations of £75,000 from The Wolfson Foundation and £10,000 from. The Binks Trust

In addition, the Scottish Government has agreed to provide a loan funding facility to enable the NTS start the project.

The NTS, which works with theatres across Scotland, will try and raise the additional money from trusts and foundations and will also launch an appeal for major gifts to reduce the need for loan financing.

Finding a permanent home for the NTS has proved something of a drama in itself - amid much publicity, initially the plan was for the company to be based in The Bridge centre in Easterhouse, but it was not big enough.

The company then took up temporary residence in an office in Hope Street, in Glasgow's city centre, before moving to a facility in Port Dundas on a lease after a hoped-for move to an old industrial shed in Govan fell through.

Last year a £1.5m bid for capital funding from Creative Scotland was not successful.

The new building, beside a canal and off the Craighall Road, contains 40,000 square foot of space over two floors.

The space will allow the NTS to have all its "back room" facilities and work under the one roof, avoiding the cost of commercial rentals.

It will also be the space where the company's plays are "devised, developed and rehearsed", and also where sets and costumes can be made and stored.

The new HQ will also have a Learning and Community suite.

It is due to open in the spring of 2016 and be home to a full time staff of 43, with ample space for freelance project workers, writers, and visiting artists.

The costume department will be able to store hundreds of costumes, a dyeing room, laundry and cutting room.

The facility will include three rehearsals rooms.

Laurie Sansom, artistic director of the NTS, said: "For the first time ever, we have the opportunity to create a space that brings together our company, our colleagues and all our communities.

"A place of imagination, learning and play.

"A space from which we can begin to fulfil our ambitions, not just for the National Theatre of Scotland but for the wider theatre community and the entire nation."

Chris Coleman-Smith, director of Gareth Hoskins Architects, said: "We are delighted to be working with the National Theatre of Scotland, and a wider team of very capable consultants, to create a place where functions currently housed in scattered, and in cases inadequate, accommodation can be brought together in an efficient new facility.

"We are excited by the ambition of the organisation to create theatre on a national and international scale that is contemporary, confident and forward-looking and ourselves look to deliver a building that reflects that ambition.

"The new facility is designed to meet both their immediate and long term requirements, facilitating the continued evolution, development and growth of the National Theatre of Scotland, and contributing to the sustainable regeneration of the area"

Fiona Hyslop, Scotland's culture secretary, said the base will be a "hub of innovation" in Scottish theatre.

She said: "Not only will the facility assist with new productions and work, by redeveloping a disused building the facility will help to regenerate the canal area at Speirs Wharf.

"It is important we support culture and heritage, protecting budgets and supporting the sector wherever possible."

Work is due to start on the site in July this year.
RapidTaco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 03:02 PM   #408
Charlie_

Sounds like that bridge over the canal just paid for itself already.

aunty liked this post
Old March 30th, 2015, 04:00 PM   #409
Roddy_

Likes (Received): 284

let me first of all say that the investment in facilities for an important cultural organisation is to be welcomed and welcomed unequivocally.

Where my dissenting inner voice pipes up - and what I take issue with is the way in which the Spiers Wharf 'masterplan' is developing.

What we have is The Whisky Bond , The Royal Conservatoire of Scotland , Scottish Opera and now The National Theatre of Scotland , all estimable and august organisations, setting up in reconfigured industrial buildings which ,even after refurbishment, offer very little in the way of responsive or sympathetic solutions to the wider area.

The opportunity identified in innumerable masterplans for this area was to create a network of streets that cascade down from the wharf knitting into Garscube Rd, Woodlands and the wider city. What these refurbishment jobs have done is to retain the majority of the bulk and, blank wall facades of their industrial predecessors, not to mention the car parks and service and storage yards and to retain their long , impermeable footprints.

This is not conducive to the creation of a lively quarter .

For example

http://goo.gl/maps/mgbBi

http://goo.gl/maps/Pzyom

http://goo.gl/maps/9bTGF

Even this latest intervention by Gareth Hoskins doesn't convince me that these squat , single storey buildings ( and the taller Bond) do anything to enhance the sense of place that the Wharf district should have in abundance.

Don't get me wrong - there is undoubtedly a place for this kind of redevelopment , it's just that it seems to me we are brandishing the canalside development as a paradigm of good urban design when , in fact , it isn't.

The stalled Stallan-Brand housing will undoubtedly help here. But we must avoid the mistakes that have already been made in this area . Stuff like this.

I have left a comment on this particular page which I'll not repeat here.

http://www.glasgowcanal.co.uk/regene...-business-park

indiekid, Charlie_, drjimmy, milton, gme liked this post

Last edited by Roddy_; March 30th, 2015 at 04:13 PM.
Roddy_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 04:19 PM   #410
Charlie_

Great post Roddy.
Old March 30th, 2015, 10:42 PM   #411
Roddy_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_ View Post
Great post Roddy.
Thanks Charlie.

Another thought strikes me.

Given the huge overlaps in production / rehearsal/ admin and studios between The Royal Conservatoire of Scotland , Scottish Opera and The National Theatre of Scotland. Could they not have pooled their resources and created a new shared artistic campus?

The idea of a real artistic quarter with a precinct of new buildings that could operate across these artistic disciplines certainly would get my vote .Something like the new Birmingham Library by Mecanoo or Manchester's Home by the same. Buildings which are multi-functional ,democratic ,house a diverse range of activities and spaces and which can be visited by the public. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to envisage this here.

We need something that hints at urbanism or is ,at the very least, a microcosm of the city, rather than a load of disconnected limbs with no body for them to function properly.

aunty liked this post
Old March 30th, 2015, 11:05 PM   #412
milton

Likes (Received): 823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddy_ View Post

I have left a comment on this particular page which I'll not repeat here.

http://www.glasgowcanal.co.uk/regene...-business-park
I hope you don't mind me referencing your other quote:

Quote:
Craighall Business Park

Roddy • 17 days ago
A soulless, windswept and barren place punctuated by lumpen monochrome
boxes whose form and disposition neither reinforce place or create place.

I feel sorry for anyone who has to commute and work there.
I mainly agree, but bear in mind that some of the people work for Clyde Property. Their daily commute could involve travelling through the 9 circles of Hell to a daily schedule of Devil-molestation and I still wouldn't feel sorry for them.
milton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 11:08 PM   #413
milton

Likes (Received): 823

RE what we're filling these sites with, I fully agree on the points Roddy raises. I was hoping we'd actually be rebuilding the area into, you know, something nice?

It would also have been a perfect strip to continue a Chinatown theme up to the junction with Possil Road.
milton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 07:11 PM   #414
Roddy_

[QUOTE=milton;122835335]I hope you don't mind me referencing your other quote:

No probs Milton....

This is a woeful piece of urban design in almost every respect. Any form of placemaking has , it seems, been entirely abandoned . The tremendous opportunities afforded by such a commanding site have been completely overlooked and the chance to re-densify the area spurned.

Depressing.

Worth a visit if only to mark how awful High Craighall Rd & Borron St are.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 07:22 PM   #415
RapidTaco

Likes (Received): 412

http://www.glasgowchamberofcommerce....asgow-s-canal/

Tall-masted ships return to Glasgow’s canal

The first tall-masted ship to sail the Glasgow branch of the Forth & Clyde Canal in more than a century has completed its inaugural voyage to the city's Speirs Wharf.

Marking the latest stage in the regeneration of both the canal and North Glasgow, the Dutch barge MV John Hume, is now moored up overlooking the city skyline and will soon be welcoming guests as one of Glasgow's most unusual holiday lets.

The 114-year-old vessel has been lovingly restored by Scottish Canals over the past year and now boasts a luxurious interior that's more black-tie than 'Black Pearl.' The barge joins the likes of loch-side lighthouses and converted canal workers' cottages on Scottish Canals' growing holiday home portfolio.

Named after Professor John Hume OBE, the vessel carried the canal champion, who was instrumental in the restoration of the nation's waterways at the turn of the Millennium, as well as Scottish Canals' chief executive Steve Dunlop and Bailie Liz Cameron, along the Forth & Clyde Canal to the barge's new home in Speirs Wharf. The event also coincided with the 225th anniversary of the construction of the waterway.

Once a common sight on the canal during its industrial heyday in the 18th and early 19th centuries, tall-masted ships were the workhorses that stoked the fires of the industrial revolution, carrying coal, sugar, tobacco and more to and from the commercial hub of Speirs Wharf.

Steve Dunlop, Chief Executive of Scottish Canals, said: "We're delighted to celebrate the return of tall-masted ships to the Forth & Clyde Canal after more than a century. This area was once the beating industrial heart of North Glasgow and, while the canal is now home to creative studios and cafes rather than coal scows and warehouses, the waterway continues to bring vibrancy and positive change to the communities along its banks today.

"The arrival of the MV John Hume at Speirs Wharf signals another step forward for the ongoing transformation of North Glasgow and allows us to honour one of the nation's true canal champions. John was instrumental in campaigning for the reopening of Scotland's waterways and the renaissance they're undergoing today is due in no small part to his dedication and that of the many men and women like him. Naming the barge after him seemed a fitting tribute.

"The last time a tall-masted ship sailed the waters of the Forth& Clyde Canal, Speirs Wharf was a bustling hub of industry. Today, 225 years after its construction, the canal is again thriving and playing a key role in the local community."

While Speirs Wharf was once a commercial hub featuring everything from bonded warehouses and distilleries to grain mills and glassworks, today the area is fast becoming a centre for culture and tourism, with the creation of a flourishing creative quarter featuring the likes of the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland; the improvement of links between North Glasgow and the city centre; the opening of Scotland's first urban watersports centre at Pinkston Basin; and the installation of a heritage trail allowing visitors and locals alike to unlock the rich history of Glasgow's canal. The area has had more than £5 million invested in its regeneration by Scottish Canals and its partners in recent years.

The barge, which has been fully interior-designed, boasts all the comforts of home within its century-old shell, as well as period touches such as historic canal signage and artefacts. With a fully-equipped kitchen, a power shower, double bedroom and even a wood burning stove, the John Hume is the perfect place for those looking for a quirky break in Glasgow.

A break on the water is also the ideal introduction for those wondering if canal boat life is for them. Scottish Canals' Living on Water scheme, which aims to encourage Scots across the country to swap cul-de-sacs and cottages for waterways and wide-beam barges, is now in its second phase and offers moorings everywhere from the shadow of The Kelpies to within the city centres of Glasgow and Edinburgh.

All revenue generated by the Living on Water initiative is being reinvested in safeguarding the heritage of the 200-year-old waterways and in projects that will help bring vibrancy, income and jobs to the communities that line their banks.
RapidTaco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 11:38 AM   #416
leftmidfielder

Likes (Received): 2

Looks like site work has started on the Homeless Persons unit at Rodney Street, and Heras Fencing/hoarding is going up around the site of the Spiers Lock student campus.

Charlie_ liked this post
leftmidfielder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2015, 05:54 PM   #417
leftmidfielder

Likes (Received): 2

Work continuing at Rodney Street. No sign of life at the student campus, but the Heras fencing in what would be the car park for the proposed new National Theatre of Scotland HQ at Spiers Wharf has been taken away, so potentially work to start there soon? Work is due to start this month.

I'll try and add pictures in the future, but it's surprisingly difficult to spam your way up to ten posts on here...
leftmidfielder no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: