daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » completed | under construction | proposed | demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 26th, 2014, 08:10 PM   #3021
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 1085

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
US attendance at pro/collegiate sports is very impressive.....
Indeed....

Selected NCAA FBS attendance from yesterday.

Penn State...Beaver Stadium, University Park, Pennsylvania Attendance: 107,895

Tennessee....Neyland Stadium, Knoxville, Tennessee Attendance: 102,455

LSU....Tiger Stadium, Baton Rouge, Louisiana Attendance: 102,321

Nebraska....Tom Osborne Field at Memorial Stadium, Lincoln, Nebraska Attendance: 91,088

Auburn...Jordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn, Alabama Attendance: 87,451

Wisconsin....Camp Randall Stadium, Madison, Wisconsin Attendance: 80,336

Clemson...Memorial Stadium, Clemson, South Carolina Attendance: 80,031

Michigan State...Spartan Stadium, East Lansing, Michigan Attendance: 76,331

Missouri....Memorial Stadium at Faurot Field, Columbia, Missouri Attendance: 65,264

Kentucky....Commonwealth Stadium, Lexington, Kentucky Attendance: 64,791

Washington...Husky Stadium, Seattle, Washington Attendance: 64,666

Virginia Tech...Lane Stadium/Worsham Field, Blacksburg, Virginia Attendance: 64,007

California....Levi's Stadium, Santa Clara, California Attendance: 55,575

Kansas State...Bill Snyder Family Stadium, Manhattan, Kansas Attendance: 52,879

Stanford....Stanford Stadium, Stanford, California Attendance: 48,401

Utah....Rice-Eccles Stadium, Salt Lake City, Utah Attendance: 47,619

TCU....Amon G. Carter Stadium, Fort Worth, Texas Attendance: 45,122

Pittsburgh....Heinz Field, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Attendance: 44,734

Illinois....Memorial Stadium, Champaign, Illinois Attendance: 44,437

I am what I am..

Big Daddy Popeye US Navy/retired

Lakeland liked this post
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 26th, 2014, 11:14 PM   #3022
Kerrybai
Erin go bragh

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
That's the best gauge of how well sports are supported by a population. According to that map it's Iceland (3.86%) leading the way followed by Scotland (3.81%), Cyprus (3.67%), the Netherlands (2.87%), England (2.85%), then Norway (2.63%).

Btw, is this based on what % of the population attended at least one pro football game in the calendar year?

This is a much better table done by sporting intelligience.

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/...ngland-020403/

'The total number of ‘match goers’ is essentially the total attendance for a fortnight’s games, or of every club playing once. This gives us a figure which is, by and large, the number of different individuals who watch games in that country.'

So basically every weekend 3.68% of the Scottish population attend a soccer match. To calculate for the MLS we would get the total number for a round of MLS, USL and whatever other leagues and do the same thing. Its worth noting that only the professional leagues are counted. For example Germany has many more leagues under their top 6 and the same goes for many of the other countries, but apparently the numbers wouldn't be that great to make a significant difference.

A couple of things annoy me about this though, for instance in the USA section he gave Montreal an attendance of 51k which isn't really fair.
Kerrybai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2014, 04:10 AM   #3023
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 584

We're still awaiting some final tallies but the folks on bigsoccer.com who continue to do an excellent job tracking MLS attendance figures project the final season average will end up somewhere between 19,100 and 19,200. All I can say is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd popeye View Post
Pittsburgh....Heinz Field, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Attendance: 44,734
You doing this for little ol' me?

Really sorry I couldn't make this game as Pittsburgh is a city I hope to someday see. And considering the outcome all the more disappointed I didn't get to go. Was hoping the game might garner something closer to 50k for the local s but c'est la vie.

Quote:
Illinois....Memorial Stadium, Champaign, Illinois Attendance: 44,437
Another one of my underperforming fan bases given the size of their alumni base. It's not like Illinois is without football history and their stadium appears quite nice. Even in the new western division it's not like their schedule will be devoid of appealing visitors to choose from: Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, local rival Northwestern...

bd popeye liked this post
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2014, 04:27 AM   #3024
weava
Construction Code Expert

Likes (Received): 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrybai View Post

'The total number of ‘match goers’ is essentially the total attendance for a fortnight’s games, or of every club playing once. This gives us a figure which is, by and large, the number of different individuals who watch games in that country.'

So basically every weekend 3.68% of the Scottish population attend a soccer match. To calculate for the MLS we would get the total number for a round of MLS, USL and whatever other leagues and do the same thing. Its worth noting that only the professional leagues are counted. For example Germany has many more leagues under their top 6 and the same goes for many of the other countries, but apparently the numbers wouldn't be that great to make a significant difference.

A couple of things annoy me about this though, for instance in the USA section he gave Montreal an attendance of 51k which isn't really fair.
that counted the Canadian MLS teams as being in the US so those numbers aren't accurate. That will drop that 0.12% to 0.10% from my calculations.

To throw in the NFL for comparison, the NFL averages 68,937 for 32 teams, for 2,118,704 "home match goes". 0.68% ~Greece

for college football: FBS (45,192 ave*123 teams) + FCS (8,593 ave * 124 teams) = 5,558,616 + 1,065,532 = 6,624,148=> 2.12% ~Denmark

Kerrybai liked this post
weava no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 04:14 PM   #3025
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Final MLS attendance stats are in - 19,148! (According to one long-standing fan and pundit)

43,734 Seattle Sounders
22,086 Toronto FC
21,258 Los Angeles Galaxy
20,806 Portland Timbers
20,408 Vancouver Whitecaps
20,351 Real Salt Lake
20,117 Houston Dynamo
20,003 Sporting Kansas City
19,421 New York Red Bulls
17,631 Philadelphia Union
17,421 Montreal Impact
17,030 DC United
16,881 Columbus Crew
16,816 FC Dallas
16,681 NE Revolution
16,076 Chicago Fire
15,082 Colorado Rapids
14,947 San Jose Earthquakes
_7,063 Chivas USA

So next year there's a strong possibility that every team could finish above 15,000. MLS has six seasons with league averages below that mark, with the low mark being the 13,609 from 2000!

Also, arguably more important than a league-wide shot at the 20k mark will be seeing if the number of games with less than 10k can drop below the 2012 low of 1.9%. If we can move to that point where essentially every game is full and alive then it will go a long way in grooming a deeper and stronger fan base for the future. That will be big, not only for endearing more folks to the sport and league but also for the teams that they can establish that rapport with the fans and develop a stronger dedicated attendance for budgeting purposes. Plus the in-game sponsors will appreciate knowing they're reaching more real people.

Bori427, alexandru.mircea liked this post

Last edited by GunnerJacket; October 28th, 2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old October 28th, 2014, 04:15 PM   #3026
Bori427

Likes (Received): 710

That's just wrong for the Galaxy
Bori427 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 04:20 PM   #3027
bd popeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bori427 View Post
That's just wrong for the Galaxy
What make you state that? Just curious.

I am what I am..

Old October 28th, 2014, 04:34 PM   #3028
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

... and recalling our Wikipedia-provided averages of other outdoor pro leagues, here's how the new MLS season would stack up:

68,397 National Football League
43,502 Bundesliga
36,657 Premier League
33,461 Australian Football League
30,504 Major League Baseball
26,955 La Liga
27,005 Canadian Football League
25,518 Nippon Professional Baseball
23,385 Serie A
21,323 Liga MX
21,321 Primera División Argentina
21,155 Ligue 1
20,384 Super Rugby (Aus/NZ/SA)
19,557 Eredivisie
19,164 Big Bash League
19,148 Major League Soccer ('14)
18,594 Major League Soccer ('13)

Still behind the Aussie cricket league by a few folks, alas, but I suspect passing them is inevitable simply based on market size.

Am told the Chinese Super League might also break 19k this season and possibly surpass the MLS. We'll see, though their economics are more screwy - from what I understand it's all based on dirt cheap tickets.

bd popeye liked this post
Old October 28th, 2014, 04:38 PM   #3029
bd popeye

Attendance for the Eight week of the 2014 NFL season;

Detroit & Atlanta...Wembley Stadium, London UK. Weather: 59°, Overcast Attendance: 83,532

Dallas.....AT&T Stadium, Arlington, Texas Attendance: 87,055

New York Jets.....MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, New Jersey. Weather: 59°, Cloudy Attendance: 78,160

Denver...Sports Authority Field at Mile High, Denver, Colorado. Weather: 68°, Partly Cloudy Attendance: 76,907

Kansas City....Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, Missouri. Weather: 70°, Clear Attendance: 75,972

Carolina...Bank of America Stadium, Charlotte, North Carolina. Weather: 77°, Clear Attendance: 74,042

New Orleans....Mercedes-Benz Superdome, New Orleans, Louisiana Attendance: 73,146

Tennessee....LP Field, Nashville, Tennessee. Weather: 73°, Clear Attendance: 69,143

New England....Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, Massachusetts. Weather: 54°, Clear Attendance: 68,756

Cleveland....FirstEnergy Stadium, Cleveland, Ohio. Weather: 55°, Clear Attendance: 67,431

Jacksonville....EverBank Field, Jacksonville, Florida. Weather: 76°, Attendance: 65,633

Pittsburgh...Heinz Field, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Weather: 62°, Clear Attendance: 62,479

Arizona......University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, Arizona Attendance: 61,789

Tampa Bay...Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, Florida. Weather: 77°, Clear Attendance: 56,577

Cincinnati...Paul Brown Stadium, Cincinnati, Ohio. Weather: 62°, Clear Attendance: 55,711

I am what I am..

Old October 28th, 2014, 05:06 PM   #3030
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

What's up with Cincinnati fans? Their team is still favorite to win the division, they hosted a name opponent in Baltimore and it was a beautiful day? Hey Bengal fans, why you no fill up PB Stadium?!?!?
Old October 28th, 2014, 05:37 PM   #3031
bd popeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
What's up with Cincinnati fans? Their team is still favorite to win the division, they hosted a name opponent in Baltimore and it was a beautiful day? Hey Bengal fans, why you no fill up PB Stadium?!?!?
There a lot of hate directed at the clubs owners. This has been going on for a couple of seasons.

http://www.mikebrownsucks.com/

Discourse directed at the fans by the players

Bengals’ George Iloka: We don’t want bandwagon fans

Bengals send message to fans

And there's this! A description of Bengal Fan.

Uburn Dictionary : Cincinnati Bengals Fan

Quote:
Semi-pro Sports team in Cincinnati that holds onto its NFL franchise every year by the narrowest of margins. Riddled with misery, Bengal fans are to be considered the most dangerous in the world when operating machinery, walking, or even vegetating on a couch. Bengal fans are easy to spot, look for shoes on wrong feet, pants on head, or really anything so out of the ordinary that only a moron would make the mistake. If you spot a Bengal's fan, do not approach them, simply yell we-dey (you will probably be right) and run before they are able to engage you in conversation, thus robbing you of IQ points.

I went to the store but the entrance was blocked by a Cincinnati Bengals fan trying to push the revolving door clockwise while yelling, Who-dey.
I grew up in Cincinnati. I was never a Bengals fan. Was a Browns fan before the Bengals were ever established in 1968.

I am what I am..

Old October 29th, 2014, 02:10 AM   #3032
poguemahone

Likes (Received): 517

A-League

Week 3
Brisbane v Sydney FC -14,141
Melbourne Victory v Melbourne City - 43,729
Wellington v Newcastle - 7,802
Adelaide v Perth - 11,473
Western Sydney v Central Coast*

Week 3 Total: 77,145
Week 3 Average: 19,286

2014/15 Total: 273,240
2014/15 Average: 19,517
2013/14 Average: 13,056

2014/15 Average Attendance by Club:
Melbourne - 36,906 (2)
Sydney - 33,369 (2)
Adelaide - 22,300 (2)
City - 15,717 (1)
Brisbane - 15,168 (2)
Central Coast - 8,840 (2)
Perth - 8,789 (1)
Wellington - 7,785 (2)
Newcastle - N/A
Western Sydney - N/A

14 games played

*Rearranged for November due to Western Sydney playing in the Asian Champions League Final
poguemahone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 12:31 PM   #3033
Bori427

Likes (Received): 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd popeye View Post
What make you state that? Just curious.
I mean Galaxy needs to get their thing going...
Bori427 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:25 AM   #3034
poguemahone

Likes (Received): 517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrybai View Post

It is wrong for Australia too. We have one team from New Zealand in the competition so it adds an extra 4 Million people to the population and they also have the lowest attendance.

But also the table is 2 1/2 years old and our attendances have grown dramatically since then too. Average across the league has gone from 10,800 when the table was made to 13,000 last season and 19,500 so far this season (I expect this to drop to about 14,000)

Kerrybai liked this post
poguemahone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:05 AM   #3035
Kerrybai
Erin go bragh

Likes (Received): 169

Thanks for that. Yes the table is indeed a bit outdated. It was made by Sporting Intelligence which is a wonderful website. I think the table still gives a good estimation for most nations.
Kerrybai no está en línea   Reply With Quote