daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Economy, Infrastructure and Transportation > Urban Transport

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 28th, 2017, 11:34 AM   #2781
Dynamoe

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by The E.N.D View Post

I'm unsure if it was the buses I took but the announcement was not always audible. A hive of loud conversations in the bus and the announcement got drowned out. This could be a problem for those relying on the voice to know where they are.
Welcome to public transport in South Africa. We are people that talk. And loudly at that. That is always the first thing that I notice when travelling on public transport overseas, everyone is SO quiet. I guess we are just a chatty bunch. At least the street preachers have not made their way on to the buses yet.

On that note, sometimes I would get into a train carriage in the morning and there would be a full blown religious Service going on with songs. Seats, walls and window frames become makeshift percussion instruments.

We South Africans are definitely unique.

Marsupalami, The E.N.D liked this post
Dynamoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2017, 02:24 PM   #2782
NicSA

Likes (Received): 4396

You should visit Japan - trains packed like sardines and completely silent
NicSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2017, 03:40 PM   #2783
Marsupalami

Likes (Received): 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamoe View Post
Welcome to public transport in South Africa. We are people that talk. And loudly at that. That is always the first thing that I notice when travelling on public transport overseas, everyone is SO quiet. I guess we are just a chatty bunch. At least the street preachers have not made their way on to the buses yet.

On that note, sometimes I would get into a train carriage in the morning and there would be a full blown religious Service going on with songs. Seats, walls and window frames become makeshift percussion instruments.

We South Africans are definitely unique.
Indeed! - one of my fondest memories! - took my missus from Europe on the train, and at one point, (typically ) I was sharing out sections of my Argus to randoms, and though I thought one tstotsie sat next to her was eyeing down her cleavage, he was actually trying to read her book alongside her lol
Marsupalami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 09:14 AM   #2784
Econ77

Likes (Received): 24

Just can't win

Quote:
Cashiers fired over R43m MyCiTi theft but fraud kingpins escape

Twenty-two cashiers have been fired amid an investigation into the theft of up to R43-million from Cape Town's MyCiTi bus service.

Many of them have admitted guilt but were "too intimidated" to reveal who was behind the syndicate, said Cape Town transport commissioner Melissa Whitehead.

Eight of the 22 have been charged with theft, according to City of Cape Town documents made public in the row that has sparked an investigation of officials and politicians.

Weaknesses of financial controls in the MyCiTi fare system were pointed out by auditors PwC in a December 2014 report to Whitehead, the documents say.

In a report to the council arguing why she should not be suspended pending an investigation into allegations of misconduct, Whitehead said she learnt of the thefts only in 2016.
https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/sou...ngpins-escape/
Econ77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 12:49 PM   #2785
Marsupalami

Likes (Received): 508

eish! - make a massive example of them, then shore up the system ASAP! - end of
Marsupalami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 07:22 AM   #2786
NicSA

Likes (Received): 4396

RAMPANT MYCITI SMART CARD THEFT EXPOSED IN LEGAL REPORT

The extent of rampant theft from the Cape Town's MyCiTi smart card system has been exposed in a confidential city legal report.

The city s embattled Transport Commissioner Melissa Whitehead is now in the firing line for not properly managing the contracts of two external service providers.

The report by Bowman Gilfillan has revealed that city officials overlooked internal forensic reports highlighting the losses dating as far back as 2014.

The losses have provisionally been estimated at R43 million.

Investigators from PriceWaterhouseCoopers say it’s been difficult to quantify the exact extent of the losses suffered as a result of contract workers manipulating the fare system.

http://ewn.co.za/2018/01/10/rampant-...n-legal-report
NicSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 09:50 AM   #2787
Dynamoe

Likes (Received): 274

Guys! What is going on with Melissa Whitehead?
Dynamoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 04:17 PM   #2788
annman
Annman

Likes (Received): 429

Me thinks this Melissa Whitehead needs to end up with Zuma in a tiny room. She sounds like she's been up to some shady sh*t. So so so much smoke, there must be at least a small veldfire going on.

GoClickr liked this post
annman no está en línea   Reply With Quote