daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Kenya > Projects, Construction and General Discussion > Transport and Infrastructure

Transport and Infrastructure Transport, infrastructure and other related discussions

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 18th, 2018, 08:35 PM   #541
Mwalimu
Formally Africanman

Likes (Received): 33

In my humble opinion, we have the wrong people running sports infrastructure and sports along with many other things.
I'll give you an example..I live in a small town in NJ and the highschool has a stadium, not a world class facility but one that can accommodate the needs of the community.
Their is nothing wrong with refurbishing Nyayo, that make sense but centralization has been our problem. Kisumu should have an international standard stadium, that does not mean a 60,000 sitter that would be a white elephant but sustainable 20,000 sitter stadiums in all the major cities and not run from Nairobi.
One suggestion was to build a new stadium in Nairobi, are we just that stupid. Mombasa, Nakuru, Eldoret, Machakos, Thika and Kisumu among other places should have stadiums capable of hosting international competitions.
Whenever I visit Kenya, I know it's a great country but so badly run. I remember Kisumu has a dumpsite next to what they want to be an international stadium and look at Meru, they had wrangles because Munya would not allow international teams to take over phase 2 and Mombasa where 001 refused stadium access to CHAN organizers.
It's good to point finders at the National government but they are just a larger version of many incompetent county govenments.

Dhuks liked this post
Mwalimu no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2018, 01:03 AM   #542
jaymedari

Likes (Received): 48

imo we need all these stadiums in nairobi. city stadium should be demolished n rebuilt as a purely soccer and rugby event stadium to int standards.nyayo should be demolished and rebuilt as a multyi purpose track and field complex.the finance should be coming from the sports betting taxes.germany taxes the sports betting at 80 pct n ploughs the monies in sports .the result ,they r one of the best sporting nations

Last edited by jaymedari; January 19th, 2018 at 01:04 AM. Reason: add
jaymedari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2018, 07:35 AM   #543
ColloWa Ajabu

Likes (Received): 73

Well,you cannot demolish Nyayo unless you think Kenya is the USA.Why not just leave it and build a new thin somewhere else.Nyayo can actually be turned in to a masterpiece with far much less dollars.The exterior facade can partly be turned to glass,give the interior super seats and a shade.
But i agree city stadium should be demolished and a rugby stadium put up there.The land it seats on is very valuable.
Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM   #544
strello

Likes (Received): 14

Kipchoge Keino

https://imgur.com/a/8CA6Z

Kinoru

https://imgur.com/a/fK3o0

https://imgur.com/a/EY7g5

Last edited by strello; Yesterday at 03:09 PM.
strello no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM   #545
Dhuks

Likes (Received): 2746

When uploading photos here, please quote the image URL
We have different expectations of what we should call a stadium. I believe the terraces infrastructure for me defines the stadium. If the stadia earmarked for CHAN had enough terraces like Nyayo and Kasarani, nobody would have denied Kenya the chance to host. Such is because the pitch can be made in five weeks flat but terraces take years of slow paced works. Having said that, i am impressed with that stand on Kipchoge but a larger photo is needed to know whether its any different from Bukhungu. Whatever is being done on drainage at Kinoru had been done by 2014 so i am not sure there is progress there

The governors should consult better informed persons. These images are so 1980's

Last edited by Dhuks; Yesterday at 04:57 PM.
Dhuks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM   #546
thaichitsiga
thaichitsiga

Likes (Received): 1243

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsadalla View Post
Updates to the Nyayo stadium.
Seems they are redoing the stands, main dias expansion, refoofing and adding new turf.

this is what happens when we Africans don't use the Chinese
knock it down build a new one for god's sake

njenga kenya liked this post
thaichitsiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote