daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Japan Forum 日本フォーラム > Infrastructure & Citytalk / インフラと街について語る

Infrastructure & Citytalk / インフラと街について語る Mass transit, Urban issues, Architecture etc / 公共交通機、都市問題、建築など

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 119 votes, 5.00 average.
Old July 6th, 2014, 01:40 PM   #2681
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 124

I know right?

I remember there was once a proposal to do the same thing on Osaka's Midosuji subway line as well, but have no idea what happened with that. Personally, I could stand to have the Fukutoshin line run longer, if only to meet the last outbound trains on the Toyoko, Tojo and Seibu Ikebukuro lines.

Sent from my SGP321 using Tapatalk
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 6th, 2014, 06:43 PM   #2682
ukiyo
モデレータ

Likes (Received): 1455

The night buses aren't too popular http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0001397119

One reason is simply because..there's no trains running. As most of us know in Tokyo buses primarily are just "feeders" into the train system.
Old July 7th, 2014, 12:40 AM   #2683
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 1924

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo View Post
The night buses aren't too popular http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0001397119

One reason is simply because..there's no trains running. As most of us know in Tokyo buses primarily are just "feeders" into the train system.
There was one bit of the article you linked to that concerned me slightly:

Quote:
Meanwhile, in the Tama district of western Tokyo, the number of buses operated by the metropolitan government has decreased even though they are an important means of transportation for local residents. Masuzoe said he would consider bus operations by taking into account Tokyo’s entire traffic system, not just one section.
In the more sprawly districts where distances to train stations are a bit larger (like in Tama) aren't buses highly important? I always got that feeling out there. Are the gaps being filled with private operators do you know?

My Photo Tours: Singapore Dec 2013, Tokyo Dec 2013, New Zealand Dec 2013 and Jan 2014

YouTube Channel
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2014, 03:46 PM   #2684
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 173

The Tama District (a huge area) is mainly served by the various private operators, Toei is a relatively minor operator, as its primary mission is to provide bus service within the 23 wards of the city of Tokyo. Without giving details for the reasons service has supposedly declined (lack of demand, aging population?), the newspaper article is pretty worthless in that aspect.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2014, 04:03 PM   #2685
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
I remember there was once a proposal to do the same thing on Osaka's Midosuji subway line as well, but have no idea what happened with that.
They did extend the service another 26 minutes, with a former deadheading train from Umeda to Shin-Osaka becoming a revenue run. Don't know if that's what you're talking about. Osaka overall seems to shut down earlier than Tokyo, and the subway formerly shut down quite earlier than the private railways and JR West's urban network, which forced me to do the "Tennoji dash" a couple of times to catch the last subway into the center city, after coming off an airport rapid service.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2014, 12:16 AM   #2686
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
The Tama District (a huge area) is mainly served by the various private operators, Toei is a relatively minor operator, as its primary mission is to provide bus service within the 23 wards of the city of Tokyo. Without giving details for the reasons service has supposedly declined (lack of demand, aging population?), the newspaper article is pretty worthless in that aspect.
That is what I thought. Last time I was in the Tama district I didn't see any TOEI buses, but loads of private operators around. Just wondered if anyone knew if they were "key" routes like the article suggested. It sounded like they were being a bit on the negative side to me about that.

My Photo Tours: Singapore Dec 2013, Tokyo Dec 2013, New Zealand Dec 2013 and Jan 2014

YouTube Channel
Old July 14th, 2014, 03:34 PM   #2687
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

A minor update, but one that affected me. One of the new bus shelters along Asakusa Dori as part of the big improvements along the road. They have narrowed the road from 3 lanes each side to two lanes (along most of it) and put in a separated bike lane, improved the streetscape with new plantings and paving and generally made it more pleasant.

The new bus stops have electronic signs for "next bus" now as well. One thing I like is that the stop faces the street rather than facing the road. It cuts one off from the traffic rather than cutting one off from the pavement, so it feels much "nicer" - like you're part of the people on the street rather than part of those stuck breathing in road fumes.

YouTube Channel

Sr.Horn liked this post
Old July 15th, 2014, 08:56 AM   #2688
ukiyo
モデレータ

New line to halve travel time between Haneda, downtown Tokyo
Quote:
TOKYO -- East Japan Railway plans to build by the mid-2020s a new line linking Haneda Airport and downtown Tokyo that would slash travel time to roughly 20 minutes, helping to make it a more convenient Asian hub for travelers.

The government aims to double the number of visitors to Japan to 20 million a year by 2020, when Tokyo will host the Olympic Games. To this end, it will raise the number of international slots at Haneda to 130,000 annually from 90,000 over the same period. With the number of travelers shuttling between central Tokyo and the airport expected to swell, expanded rail service is a necessity.

Transit between South Korea's Incheon Airport and downtown Seoul takes roughly 45 minutes, and around 20-30 minutes are needed for equivalent trips in Hong Kong and Singapore.

JR East's new line will put Haneda at the top of the regional list in terms of downtown access. This will not only draw more tourists, but also improve Tokyo's attractiveness as an Asian business base, making it easier to lure companies and international conferences.

The rail company, which will handle the bulk of the work, plans to divide the 300 billion yen ($2.93 billion) price tag evenly between itself, the central government and municipalities. Design and construction will take about 10 years, meaning that the new line is expected to start running in the mid-2020s at the earliest, after the Olympics.

The project will convert to passenger use an inactive freight line running from near Tamachi Station on the Yamanote Line to the Tokyo Bay area. From there, the company would build a nearly 6km subway line to Haneda. By eliminating transfers, this would cut travel time to Haneda from Shinjuku Station to 23 minutes from 41-46 minutes and from Tokyo Station to 18 minutes from 28-33 minutes.

JR East estimates that 28 million people will use the new station each year, and it expects to recoup its investment in about 15 years after opening.

Haneda and downtown Tokyo are currently linked by the Tokyo Monorail, which is run by JR East, and the Keikyu Line. But these routes are not expected to be able to handle the influx of additional traffic when Haneda's international slots are expanded.

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Comp...downtown-Tokyo

Northridge liked this post
ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2014, 03:35 PM   #2689
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Likes (Received): 1682

Ideas from Asahi Shimbun:

http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASG7H3SCZG7HUTIL01R.html

Direct connection to Rinkai Line for Saikyo or other through services to Haneda. Same in the Odaiba direction and maybe a connection to the Keiyo Line for Chiba and Narita?

Svartmetall liked this post

Last edited by Sr.Horn; July 17th, 2014 at 07:58 AM.
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2014, 03:40 PM   #2690
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Likes (Received): 1682

Last weekend, neighbors around Kanda and Akihabara visit the works on the new Ueno-Tokyo Line.

ANN

Ibaraki Shimbun

On 1:36 you can see the diagram showing the steep grade of 34.38 x1000 (3.438%) :O

Svartmetall, The Boy David liked this post
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 02:45 AM   #2691
ukiyo
モデレータ

Tokyo Station centennial

Svartmetall liked this post
ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: