search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Kenya > Projects, Construction and General Discussion > Transport and Infrastructure

Transport and Infrastructure Transport, infrastructure and other related discussions

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 17th, 2017, 11:16 AM   #2721
Kigali_Paris

Likes (Received): 527

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspertheDj View Post
I have been on the ET Dreamliner to Dulles International, and whereas outbound it made a fuel stop in Roma, inbound it was a direct flight. Most likely KQ outbound may have a fuel stop in Dakar, but inbound it might be direct.
As Arik Air does not fly intercontinental right now, I wonder if it would make more sense to fly to Lagos and then to Atlanta/JFK the days when their Skyteam partner, Delta Airlines does not operate instead of Dakar - a smaller US-Africa market?

Kigali_Paris no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2017, 12:45 PM   #2722
african
thenairobidude

Likes (Received): 5989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kigali_Paris View Post
As Arik Air does not fly intercontinental right now, I wonder if it would make more sense to fly to Lagos and then to Atlanta/JFK the days when their Skyteam partner, Delta Airlines does not operate instead of Dakar - a smaller US-Africa market?
Have they been cleared for direct flights?
Old September 17th, 2017, 08:36 PM   #2723
mzalendo

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh555 View Post
Cold Day:

Better performance by airplane because air is denser and has more oxygen i.e. shorter takeoff distance, better rate of climb & more engine power.
However there is an increased fuel consumption.

Hot Day:

Reduced performance by airplane because air is less dense i.e. longer takeoff run, lower rate of climb & less engine power (similar to high altitude conditions).
However, you use less fuel as opposed to cold days because the air is already 'expanded.'
Forgot one thing you wrote hapo juu. Oxygen. Because air is lighter it has less oxygen as a result the Fuel-Air mixture is unfavourable. You end up compromising on fuel efficiency because of poor combustion. To maintain your RPMs at the necessary levels you end up injecting more fuel into the engines than is usually necessary.
Old September 17th, 2017, 11:42 PM   #2724
Skyliner123

Likes (Received): 4066

Addis Ababa's elevation is 7,700' above seal level while Nairobi sits only at 5,800'. Therefore, KQ might actually make it at least the the East Coast nonstop. However, if KQ has to make a fuel stop somewhere, I doubt if it will be Western Africa since Jet Feul is relatively expensive there. That is, unless it gets a fifth freedom right to pick up additional passengers on the way. Otherwise, KQ will probably opt for a fuel stop somewhre in Europe instead.
Skyliner123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 09:04 AM   #2725
CaspertheDj
ici maintenant & toujours

Likes (Received): 1105

As we comtemplate KQ beginning direct US flights, it is incumbent on KAA to improve the duty free product offering for JKIA. One of the considerations for travellers is pass by an airport where they can do some shopping. I believe this would be one of the considerations. At least KQ has upped its game with lounges, but KAA needs to step up
Old September 18th, 2017, 09:30 PM   #2726
Mwendo Safi

Likes (Received): 43

What is your personal ambition
here at KQ?

My ambition is to at least double
KQ’s size very quickly. Again, I’m very
lucky to have arrived at the end of a
process that should open the door again
to growth. If I need to restructure and
take tough decisions I will. The whole
purpose is to grow. You don’t make
airlines greater by shrinking them.

Kenya Airways MD and CEO Sebastian Mikosz. Published Msafiri Sept 2017 issue
Old September 18th, 2017, 11:40 PM   #2727
ArrestedDev

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwendo Safi View Post
What is your personal ambition
here at KQ?

My ambition is to at least double
KQs size very quickly. Again, Im very
lucky to have arrived at the end of a
process that should open the door again
to growth. If I need to restructure and
take tough decisions I will. The whole
purpose is to grow. You dont make
airlines greater by shrinking them.

Kenya Airways MD and CEO Sebastian Mikosz. Published Msafiri Sept 2017 issue
The opposite of what the other guy was doing. The turnaround was rushed. I hope this guy get it right - KQ has a huge potential.
ArrestedDev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 08:12 AM   #2728
ArrestedDev

Likes (Received): 47

More from Sebastian - credit to a KQ staffer.

Dear all,

As Kenya Airways is finalising the restructuring process and is about to embark on its mission to profitability, I decided to strengthen the Transformation Office with a team of airline professionals, who have accomplished similar goals before.

As of 1st of September they started working on strategic projects and supporting important processes within the company.

The team consist of:

1. Monika Kiełtyka-Michna with vast knowledge of strategic management in back office function, ex. Chief Corporate Officer in LOT Polish Airlines.

2. Edyta Kijewska-Teny with great understanding of data and IT systems, ex. Programme Manager for ERP Reimplementation at LOT Polish Arilines.

3. Magdalena Serwach a corporate lawyer, with expertise on corporate governance, cohesion and compliance of internal corporate procedures.

4. Marcin Celejewski author and implementer of growth and development strategies, ex Chief Commercial Officer in LOT Polish Airlines.

5. Michał Śmierciak procurement expert, ran the project of LOT Polish Airlines Procurement Function centralisation.

Due to their roles in the organisation the team is reporting directly to me, and their scope of duties include:

Creating, driving and guarding cohesion of KQ Strategy across all departments in the company

Building reporting system enabling KPI monitoring and providing fair and transparent information on company performance

Monitoring and supporting the execution of all functional and project actions of the company, including special projects set by me

Focus on boosting the revenue of KQ throughout the company and improving KQ customer experience.

The role of the team will be as well focused on training our young talent and help me in improving our processes therefore they might contact you directly to involve in realising the key projects for KQ.

This is the moment on Kenya Airways timeline that we need to mobilise and deliver on our financial strategy and become profitable, growing company and an Airline of choice in the region and further.

Have a good week!

Sebastian Mikosz
Group Managing Director & CEO
Old September 19th, 2017, 09:19 AM   #2729
billy whiz

Likes (Received): 221

How bold. Rare cockiness. This is a serious guy.
billy whiz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 11:52 AM   #2730
Mwendo Safi

Likes (Received): 43

Two interesting models, Mbuvi model, shrink the airline, cut on cost and reduce the loses. Mikosz model, grow the airline, generate more revenue stream to cover the costs
Mwendo Safi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 02:10 PM   #2731
CaspertheDj
ici maintenant & toujours

Likes (Received): 1105

The recent shareholder approval to convert debt into equity will help the CEO go a long way in improving performance. KQ debt repayments are huge and if he can channel those repayments into operations then they can recover much faster. As it is, many key suppliers refuse to extend credit to KQ and key equipments and spares have to be paid upfront. Once suppliers see profit on the books and a leaner balance sheet devoid of too much debt, they will once again support KQ.

You can see the impact suppliers have on financial performance when you see the Nakumatt debacle they are in now.

African Foot liked this post
CaspertheDj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 03:46 PM   #2732
arntoh

Likes (Received): 27

Kenya Airways eyes New York as its first destination in United States
https://eturbonews.com/165028/kenya-...-united-states

batuzpisces liked this post
arntoh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 04:44 PM   #2733
andegwa

Likes (Received): 2515

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrestedDev View Post
[QUOTE So, we ended up boarding the aircraft on the tarmac (via bus shuttle) despite the flight being assigned a gate. Is this part of the cost cutting measures where KQ sold off its gate slots?? If so, very unfortunate, even though I was able to capture that unique perspective of the aircraft...

Boarding through a shuttle bus is not a big deal for me. I need you to tell us the quality of the on board product. The fact that a gate was assigned as per your boarding card shows KQ has a gate. They switched terminals recently and the lack of a gate may have been sorted out.
Agreed. The boarding via shuttle was not a big deal. Honestly the service aboard the aircraft was fantastic. The crew was very welcoming and friendly to me -- helps that I am a flirt. The food on the aircraft was the best of all the different airlines that I used on this trip i.e. Delta, KLM and Air France. The seats were also the widest and the roomiest.

All in all, my experience with the KQ staff both in the aircraft and in the terminals is AMS, Paris and JKIA were all positive. I didn't encounter any of the horror stories that I have heard about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh555 View Post
Haha Yes! As opposed to the 777's raked wing tips. As well as the nose!
Quote:
The unique metallic greyish junction of the stabilizers to the tail can also give clue that it's definitely an Airbus
Agreed. As an aerospace engineer, I'm pretty embarrassed by this basic mistake... My only excuse is that I was operating on such little sleep, and was dealing with grief -- was flying home to attend a funeral -- I'm surprised, I didn't miss all my connection flights this week.

Quote:
Nice pics man, looking forward to more obviously

Of the 5 flights from/to CDG with KQ, only 40% of them were like you, via paxbus even if a boarding gate (usually from n83 to 91 at Terminal 2C) was displayed on the screens. (next trip is Thursday, so will confirm or not the trend)

I've heard somewhere that at Paris CDG (and ORY too btw), Air France only is dealing with all the gate assignments. It depends on various factors that plane must be parked at a remote stance. When the weather is nice, pax bus boarding/disembarking is much better for taking great pictures...

For a business class passenger, busses remove the benefit of priority boarding/deplaning as one must wait that everybody is onboard/ bus is full before being driven to the plane/terminal.
Thanks for the additional info on this

I will try to post pics once I sort my self out, hopefully by the end of this week.

Kigali_Paris liked this post

Last edited by andegwa; September 19th, 2017 at 04:54 PM.
andegwa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 12:52 PM   #2734
Kigali_Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by andegwa View Post
I didn't encounter any of the horror stories that I have heard about.
Are you referring to the recent Accra - Ghana row?
There are always 2 sides in one story... If passengers have rights it ain't because they are paying that they own every right like be rude or assaulting staff.

It would be great to hear/read from KQ's perspective on that matter!

Old September 20th, 2017, 01:01 PM   #2735
Kigali_Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by african View Post
Have they been cleared for direct flights?
Do you mean direct or non stop flights?
Well, it's more a wishful thinking as Nigerian Authorities have yet to allow 5th freedom rights for any Kenyan airlines...

Old September 20th, 2017, 01:08 PM   #2736
Kigali_Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspertheDj View Post
As we comtemplate KQ beginning direct US flights, it is incumbent on KAA to improve the duty free product offering for JKIA. One of the considerations for travellers is pass by an airport where they can do some shopping. I believe this would be one of the considerations. At least KQ has upped its game with lounges, but KAA needs to step up
I do agree with this statement as, it might be an exception (or apply only to candies) but a 400 gram bag of M&M costs usd10 at JKIA ( i dunno how much is it in kenyan supermarkets in town) and here in France you get a bag of one kilo - not even in Duty Free shops - for eur 7-7,5...

Old September 20th, 2017, 01:34 PM   #2737
african
thenairobidude

Likes (Received): 5989

Quote:
Do you mean direct or non stop flights?
Well, it's more a wishful thinking as Nigerian Authorities have yet to allow 5th freedom rights for any Kenyan airlines...
I was talking about Nigeria (Nigerian Airports) getting clearance for direct flights to the US.

Cause that would seem to be a thing that would stop KQ from making a stopover at Lagos.

KQ would ofc need to have 5th freedom rights as well.

Anyway seems complicated and the process to negotiate all that would definitely be lengthy.
Old September 20th, 2017, 07:04 PM   #2738
Kigali_Paris

Here is the list of African countries allowed to serve the US non stop:

- Cape Verde from Praia
- Egypt from Cairo
- Ethiopia from Addis Abeba
- Ghana from Accra
- Kenya from Nairobi
- Morocco from Casablanca
- Nigeria from Lagos ( until recently Arik Air was flying Lagos to JFK, now only DL serve LOS from ATL and NYC)
- Senegal from Dakar
- South Africa from Jo'burg

Quote:
"Anyway seems complicated and the process to negotiate all that would definitely be lengthy."
Yup, the biggest hurdle for KQ is the Nigerian Authorities, not known to cooperate well when it comes to aviation business despite the Yamoussoukro open skies agreements.

Old September 22nd, 2017, 04:40 AM   #2739
Dhuks

Likes (Received): 2688

Edit

Last edited by Dhuks; September 25th, 2017 at 11:53 PM.
Dhuks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2017, 07:46 AM   #2740
ColloWa Ajabu

Likes (Received): 60

Looks like that idiot Atwoli is against the new Polish lineup.He says that Kenyans should serve at the national airline and not foreigners.