SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Hyderabad | Rajiv Gandhi International Airport | HYD

Tags
hyderabad
3M views 12K replies 633 participants last post by  tikkasriharsha 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread is about the new Hyderabad International Airport (only)
GMR has updated its site and have launched a website for HIAL also.Hopefully we will see pictures from the construction-site.
For project updates please visit the website.

finished: 2008 (hopefully)

http://www.newhyderabadairport.com/

http://www.gmrgroup.co.in/gmr_airports.html

Project Phases
Phase 1A

A 104,100 sq mt terminal area will have the capacity to handle 5 million passengers per annum. Within it, will be a 17,000 sq mt technical services zone situated below the arrival level and a 1750 sq mt external circulation area at the departure level.

Remaining buildings, including the ATC, technical section, cargo (100,000 tonnes capacity), aircraft maintenance, airport maintenance, CFR station and utilities, will have a combined area of 35,000 sq mts

Phase 1B
Post Phase 1A, construction of subsequent phases will be determined by actual traffic volume. Phase 1B will have a capacity increase to 7 million passengers per annum, by adding passenger boarding bridges and aircraft stands on the north side of the pier. A VIP terminal, facility for General Aviation (GA) and a Low Cost Terminal (LCT) for 0.3 million passengers per annum will also be built.

Phase 1C
Capacity of the terminal will be further increased to 10 million passengers per annum with an additional area of 37,000 sq mts. The LCT capacity will also be increased to 0.5 million passengers per annum and additional maintenance facilities, catering and offices will be provided 40,000 sq mts of space

Phase 2
Terminal 1 is now approaching full development and therefore, needs to be expanded to an area of 250,000 sq mts. The LCT will also be expanded to its full capacity of 1.5 million passengers per annum

A second runway will be needed before the construction of Terminal 2 can commence. A major increase in all the established facilities will be undertaken, including more hotels, offices, cargo and maintenance facilities. Total built up area at the end of this phase will be approx. 470,000 sq mts.

Final Phase
The airport has reached its full maturity. An additional floor area of 430,000 sq mts will be constructed bringing the total built up area to 900,000 sq mts.

The ultimate master plan is for 40 million passengers per annum. To accomodate this potential increase, the present master plan allows freedom of expansion for both airside and landside facilities within the Airport site. Further acquisition of land to the north and south will allow expansion of a third and fourth runway system.

See less See more
#2 ·
that airport is obviously world-class I mean that thing is quite classy architecture-wise.

I thought they started construction in Feb. when Sonia gandhi laid the foundation stone but then there was some kind of agitation by Naidu's boys or something like that.

#3 ·
Naga_Solidus said:
that airport is obviously world-class I mean that thing is quite classy architecture-wise.

I thought they started construction in Feb. when Sonia gandhi laid the foundation stone but then there was some kind of agitation by Naidu's boys or something like that.
yaah that was for changing the airports name i quess.

#4 ·
nithin said:
yaah that was for changing the airports name i quess.
yeah thats right this new Shamshabad airport's official name is Rajiv Gandhi airport but those TDP guys wanted it to be called NT Rama Rao airport.

But who the hell cares, the current one's official name is Rajiv gandhi airport but everyone calls it Hyderabad Begumpet airport. So why not just call this one Hyderabad Shamshabad airport?

#9 ·
How long before we reach the final phase, forumites?
The website says that subsequent phases after the first phase will be dependent on actual capacity utilization/requirements at that time.

The website is really good and informative. Particularly impressive is the illustration of all the phases which clearly lays out what parts of the master plan are coming up during each phase and traffic that each phase can accomodate.

#11 ·
Am I the only one suffering from adiepus complex??

drwho.....................terrific job finding the official site.
LuckyStreak.............nice work with those renderings.

ATC the most important architecture missing from all the renderings. I guess I am the only one suffering from adiepus complex. But I'll live with it. :) :)

#12 ·

#13 ·
To be honest, it looks a zillion times better than Bangalore International. I only expect it to be a bit bigger, considering the fact that it would be used for domestic operatins too. Allthemore, since Sahara has chosen to establish its base in Hyd, it can be argued that they themselves would be needing this much space for their operations. What about the rest + the International operators? Our planners still think of the very near future only. :bash:

#14 ·
Just be glad that (a) construction has started and (b) this airport can rub shoulders with the best of the world, asthetics-wise.

And remember they're gonna carry out this project in multiple phases, and the final phase is gonna kick butt, look up there, kronik posted an image of the final phase layout.

#17 ·
Hindustani said:
ATC the most important architecture missing from all the renderings. I guess I am the only one suffering from adiepus complex. But I'll live with it. :) :)[/QUOTE]

May be because ATC is not part of the main terminal structure, it's way out as you can see from this image
[IMG]http://www.newhyderabadairport.com/img/img_home1.jpg

kronik said:
How long before we reach the final phase, forumites?
According to the web site growth projections HIAL will be handling around 32 million pax around 2040, so by this time around I guess you will see the final phase of project in place.

nithin said:
then what will happen to begumpet airport, break it down and make it a commercial center?
This will be closed when HIAL starts it's operation.

#19 ·
nithin said:
then what will happen to begumpet airport, break it down and make it a commercial center?
Taking about Begumpet airport, I am searching through all of my hard drive & I still couldn't find it. I had downloaded this spectacular aerial satellite of begumpet (current hyderabad international rajeev gandhi airport). Its amazing how much area its gonna free up in downtown hyderabad once this airport is shut down.

#20 ·
Hindustani said:
Taking about Begumpet airport, I am searching through all of my hard drive & I still couldn't find it. I had downloaded this spectacular aerial satellite of begumpet (current hyderabad international rajeev gandhi airport). Its amazing how much area its gonna free up in downtown hyderabad once this airport is shut down.
IDEA!!! Build up a proper CBD with highrises in Begumpet on the site of the old airport!

Or...keep the current airport and use it for flying cars (when they come out), and helicopter flights and stuff to rural areas.