SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Bengaluru | Kempegowda International Airport | BLR

6M views 25K replies 714 participants last post by  Auto Alpha 
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)

Link to previous thread:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=657332
________

The Bengaluru International Airport at Devanahalli was inaugurated on 23 May 2008. It is currently being expanded to increase its capacity from 10 million passengers/annum to 17 million passengers/annum.

Construction work by L&T officially began in June 2011 and is supposed to be finished in early 2013.

HOK Architects are the architects of this expanded terminal.

Renders

Model

Walkthrough Video

For the latest updates, check out the last page of this thread.

Pictures of the airport terminal:

photos copyright Aditya

See less See more
1 13
#86 · (Edited)
Had flown through BIAL on 31/07/08 to Trivandrum. My flight was Jet Airways 9W 3537 at 10.15 AM. We have seen much cribbing about the connectivity to BIAL. But I felt it like a joy ride well within one hour. The Meru service I booked was very convenient, comfortable and cost me Rs.695/- to travel the 46 km distance from my Apartment near HAL Airport.

The main reason for me to have taken apartment near HAL was the nearness to the Airport. But having experienced BIAL I do not want the third world facility and the utter chaos and fight for space in the (old) Airport Road.

After Hebbal the road is great. Most sections it has fencing, street lights are up, markings are done, pretty wide enough with six lanes and most places additional lanes. Only thing is that there are some intersections and signals in between. Will be posting those pictures also later in other Bangalore threads.

Nearing BIAL.

The Bus boarding point

#87 ·
I had taken the shots with my humble mobile cam. Frankly speaking I was a little bit hesistant to take pics openly mainly because of the enhanced security and others. Also I didn't put the flash on.

Regarding connectivity, the Vayu Vajra services of BMTC is also very good. My collegue had come by that bus which he boarded from Richmond Circle at 7.35 AM. He reached BIAL at 8.20 AM.

Incidentally, I came to know hours before my trip that my friend and another SSC fellow forumer Robin A P is also flying to Trivandrum in the same flight with his wife. He joined me at BIAL. They had taken an 'EASY CAB' at 7.45 AM from Frazer Town and reached BIAL by 8.30 AM.

Now let us continue with the pics..Waiting outside the Terminal.

Got in, just before the check- in counters. The time stamp in my photo says 8.29 AM.

Check-In over and now moving to the Departure Lounge on the upper level through escalators. Time is 8.36 am. So it took much less than 5-6 minutes for the check in process.

Moving towards 'Security Check'

#89 ·
^^Thanks Ramesh. Will post those pics also. But those has not come much well since I was sitting in the rear seat and the climate was cloudy.

Will finish the terminal pics..

Here the retail area starts and after that waiting area.

It appears crowded, but well enough space to seat. It is peak hour with morning flights to all over India. BTW what happened to us was we didn't enough time to stroll around the place and the shops.

#92 · (Edited)
Found some here courtsey vm2827's Photostream...

This is what people can see on their way to BIAL...(all snaps seem to be cell phone quality so please adjusht;))
I found this informative and educative as to what to expect when using BIAL... For good quality visuals I guess we will need to wait for Sudheesh's snaps...

The ackwardly narrow Magic box, poorly finished, provides some traffic relief but for how long?

Hebbal lake on the way - hope this is not done away with as is rumoured...

Meru Cabs airport shuttle seen on the way - off to the airport, away we go!!!

All in a day, the Vayu Vajra way...

Bengaluru (not so) International Airport Limited - very 'national' standards for landscaping

Hmmm - rather organised wot say? Unruly cabs rule no more?
A bit dusty here too inspite of being fully paved - BIAL can do better me thinks

INSIDE THE AIRPORT
A not so tasty Rs.200/- 'Taste of India' - meal on a starvation diet at BIAL;) There are cheaper options outside apparently

Mithaas to your hearts content

Another foody joint there

Charming HAL nostagia at new BIAL...:nuts: The emergency rescue station

And now things get a bit more modern ...

Cute Lil thing crossing the bus's path...suddenly...

Is this the bankers corner on aerobridges? HSBC at Heathrow - Canara Bank at BIAL...

Inside the aerobridge...

Globe Ground ground handlers - LCC stay away from more expensive aerobribges at BIAL

Hmmm - thought so too - this does look a bit small - works for now - just about - hope they expand it soon with something permanent...

What are these grey buildings in front of the ordinary looking ATC building in the background? Pointers anyone?...

Looks like the cargo building...wonder why is the Indigo 320 is parked here at a distance from the terminal?

AHA elementary my dear Watson...Looks even more like the partly finished Cargo building...
abutting the expensive overnight parking bays where the Indigo 320 and the KF 330 seem to have settled down.

Oh never mind...here is a Blue Dart Boeing 757 Cargo...

And for some eye candy
Uncle Mallya's 330 again - pretty in KF livery aint she?

#93 ·
Thanks to ramesh and vm2827 for those photos..

@indrajal & arijeet, landscaping is being done through out the length of the access highway as well as Airport premises.

Ramesh, the construction of the Trident Hotel just across the taxi park seems to be the reason for the dust.

#98 ·
Some unusual picture of BIAL courtesy Flickr poster subbraaybhattaru

AC Chiller plant

Roof top view of PWD Structure called BIAL Terminal

Ancillary Units

A modification to the BIAL Master plan proposed by Santsub

#99 · (Edited)
Thanks to ramesh and vm2827 for those photos..

@indrajal & arijeet, landscaping is being done through out the length of the access highway as well as Airport premises.

Ramesh, the construction of the Trident Hotel just across the taxi park seems to be the reason for the dust.
Will accept yr gratitude on the unknown vm2827s behalf who is the real recepient for doing all the hard work. In the same vein thank you too for your honest to goodness job of posting your snaps Sudheesh.:)

How long do u think it might take for the Trident hotel to be up and running?
And any idea what that dark grey building is next to the ATC block?