SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Mysore | Mysore Airport | MYQ

348K views 1K replies 126 participants last post by  Anvesh AB 
#1 ·
Mysore airport to be ready by March

* The first phase of upgradation of the airport will be completed in six months

By Nagaraja Dixit
Posted On Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Mysore: The people of Mysore can heave a sigh of relief for, the much awaited Mysore Mandakalli airport will be all set to function by March 2009. The first phase of upgradation of the airport is in its final stage and the airport is almost set for operating ATR charter flights.

The Directorate-General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) approved the use of the Mysore airport runway for microlights, and also for chartered flights to bring tourists during the month of Dasara festivities.

The work on the terminal building, air traffic control tower (ATC tower), parking lot and various other amenities is under way. By March 2009, the first phase of the project worth Rs 70 crore will be completed, which was already delayed by two months.

Speaking to Bangalore Mirror, P Manivannan, Deputy Commissioner, Mysore district and the Airport Authority of India (AAI) confirmed the statement. The completion of the first phase will allow the Mysore airport to operate ATR 72 aircraft with a capacity of 65-70 passengers, towards Bangalore, Mumbai, Hyderabad and Chennai.

A terminal building with a capacity to accommodate 200 passengers will also be ready. Two runways measuring 1,740 metres and 1,350 metres are being built apart from a taxi way peripheral road and a boundary wall which has already been completed.

Meanwhile, a sanction has been already given for the Rs 140 crore civil and electrical works of the second phase of the project. The second phase will include upgradation of the airport with apron, setting up of air traffic control, meteorological department and upgrading the terminus. The airport will be able to operate Airbus 320 and Boeing 737 with a
passenger capacity of more than 150.

Sources said that the government had already issued a notification to acquire 183 acres of land for the second stage of the airport. Deputy Commissioner P. Manivannan held a meeting with farmers who are giving away their lands on Tuesday. “I am recommending to the Government for payment of compensation not less than Rs. 50 lakh per acre,” P Manivannan said.

The Mysore-Ooty national highway will be shifted 2.5 kms to the east of the present location for facilitating second phase expansion, which will become part of the six-lane highway to the hill station. Ministry of Surface Transport and Highways, Government of India has already given a green signal for the same.

However, Manivannan told this news paper that, “Shifting of the highway will take at least 18 months. It requires more land and we are seriously considering alternative proposals, including taking the highway through a tunnel,” Manivannan explained.

The State government is providing the land for the entire airport project, while the AAI is creating the airport infrastructure.

The state will also provide free electricity, water and security to the airport for the first five years. Later, it will be managed autonomously by AAI.

The airstrip in Mysore was built in 1948. Its last burst of commercial activity was in the mid-1980s when Vayudoot ran a feeder service. The city had been on the aviation map more then five decades ago when a leading national newspaper used to drop its newspaper bundles using a Dakota. Thereafter, it was linked with the rest of the country through Vayudoot services. However, poor patronage had led to discontinuance of the services.
Source: Bangalore Mirror

#99 ·
Employees stop transfer of assets

http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news...t=HAL+Airport+Equipment+to+Mysore,+Mangalore+

Mixed reports again...AAI employees union of old HAL airport are blocking transfer of assets like conveyor belts, chairs etc., and AAI has no money to buy new ones! AAI is asking court permission to take them out.

Wonder why AAI employees have to block mysore airport since they are assured of salary and all other benefits regardless of whether there is work or not and regardless of whether there is passenger activity at HAL or not..

#100 ·
Mysore Airport to open soon

Staff Reporter

Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court was on Thursday informed that the Mysore Airport at Mandakahalli is slated to open on September 15.

The Karnataka Industrial Areas Development Board (KIADB) made this submission when it filed a statement of objections in a case relating to acquisition of land for the airport. Basavaraju of Mandakalli village had questioned the acquisition of his land for the expansion of the airport. He said the KIADB had acquired lands at Marase and Hadagani villages apart from Mandakalli. He said the compensation being paid was too low. He wanted the court to quash the land acquisition proceedings.

The KIADB said almost all works relating to the airport had been completed and the airport was expected to open on September 15.

Justice B.S. Patil directed the State, KIADB and the petitioner to sort out the issue and adjourned further hearing of the case.

http://www.hindu.com/2009/08/21/stories/2009082152960300.htm

#101 · (Edited)
not good at all............

AIRLINES SHY AWAY FROM MYSORE AIRPORT

Bangalore, Aug. 25 (OSR)- The Mysore Airport at Mandakalli may be ready by Sept. 15, but it is not sure whether aircrafts land or take off from there as airlines are not much enthusiastic about operating from the airport.

The Airports Authority of India (AAI) will ask the Director General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) to send a team to inspect the site at Mandakalli. Tentatively, the DGCA may visit Mysore in the first week of September.

It may be recalled here that Chief Minister B. S. Yeddyurappa had set a deadline of Sept. 15 to complete Phase I and operationalise the airport during Dasara festivities. But airlines are still not sure of Mysore’s potential. No airline has charted out any flightpath to Mysore.

The State Government is approaching various airlines and persuading them to start flight operations to Mysore on the opening day. Sources said that the government wants airlines to operate a Bangalore-Mysore flight. However, the airlines say that Bangalore-Mysore service is not feasible.

"It is pointless to have a flight from Mysore to Bangalore as the time of travel by air (including the landing and take-off time) will be less than 30 minutes," said a senior official of an airline. It will also take at least one hour to get to the Bangalore airport from the city and passengers would have to arrive one hour before the departure.

Capt. G.R. Gopinath, the pioneer of low-cost aviation in India, however, says a Mysore-Bangalore flight will get enough traffic for an airline to break even.

"The current traffic to Nanjangud, Madikeri and Ooty use the Coimbatore airport, which can be now serviced by the Mysore airport. Mysore also gets a lot of traffic from Maharashtra and Gujarat."

http://www1.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/4930834.cms

#104 ·
AIRLINES SHY AWAY FROM MYSORE AIRPORT

Bangalore, Aug. 25 (OSR)- The Mysore Airport at Mandakalli may be ready by Sept. 15, but it is not sure whether aircrafts land or take off from there as airlines are not much enthusiastic about operating from the airport.

The Airports Authority of India (AAI) will ask the Director General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) to send a team to inspect the site at Mandakalli. Tentatively, the DGCA may visit Mysore in the first week of September.

It may be recalled here that Chief Minister B. S. Yeddyurappa had set a deadline of Sept. 15 to complete Phase I and operationalise the airport during Dasara festivities. But airlines are still not sure of Mysore’s potential. No airline has charted out any flightpath to Mysore.

The State Government is approaching various airlines and persuading them to start flight operations to Mysore on the opening day. Sources said that the government wants airlines to operate a Bangalore-Mysore flight. However, the airlines say that Bangalore-Mysore service is not feasible.

"It is pointless to have a flight from Mysore to Bangalore as the time of travel by air (including the landing and take-off time) will be less than 30 minutes," said a senior official of an airline. It will also take at least one hour to get to the Bangalore airport from the city and passengers would have to arrive one hour before the departure.

Capt. G.R. Gopinath, the pioneer of low-cost aviation in India, however, says a Mysore-Bangalore flight will get enough traffic for an airline to break even.

"The current traffic to Nanjangud, Madikeri and Ooty use the Coimbatore airport, which can be now serviced by the Mysore airport. Mysore also gets a lot of traffic from Maharashtra and Gujarat."

http://www1.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/4930834.cms
It takes me around 3 hours to get to Bangalore from Mysore by train. Last time I took the train between the 2 cities, it was pretty comfortable and less than Rs50 one way... It would take me atleast 2.5 hours (in an ideal world) adding the time I would spend at both the airports if I take a plane and atleast Rs.3000 assuming the philanthropic Capt Gopinath decides to float a new airline (once again) and start ATR flights between the 2 cities...(ATRs have significantly cheaper maintenance and operating costs, but still no where as cheap as Indian Railways or Bangalore's private bus companies)

Other than some lazy politicians and Infosys bigwigs, who in his right sense would want to fly between the 2 cities???? Has he and the Govt. even seen the passenger figures for flights between Mangalore (the other big city of the state along with Mysore) and Bangalore!!! If it was a busy route it would have come in the papers or Reports of published AAI statistics....

Now Mysore-Mumbai or Mysore-Chennai makes sense....but Mysore-Bangalore??? I can see why someone sold his airline company and the common sense of the people in the "Government"!!

#102 ·
Mysore airport to start operations by September 15: Patel

TNN 26 August 2009, 12:59am IST

BANGALORE: Civil aviation minister Praful Patel has promised the Karnataka government that Airports Authority of India will make all possible
efforts to operationalize Mysore airport by September 15.

"Airlines have already been informed for planning schedules to Mysore airport from different locations,'' Patel told chief minister B S Yeddyurappa. The CM had written to the ministry to ensure flights from Bangalore, Chennai, Mumbai and New Delhi to Mysore.

#103 · (Edited)
^^ yesterday it made news that airlines are not keen on flying over mysore and today praful has directed the airlines to chalk out a flight path connecting mysore..????:bash: news reports contradict each other........

and seriously the potential of mysore though a sleeping city has been underestimated by the airlines.......

capt gopinath is the only person who has come out to endorse this city's air traffic potential.....:) and of course all thanks to our CM yeddi..for his prompt intervention in setting the deadline......

#106 ·
Exactly what I feared

Shuttles between Mys and Bangalore are feasible if they are frequent and connect to most long distance and intl flights.

Since the latter are all late night flights, this requires night landing/take off in Mys which I am not sure is there or not.

If not people would still take shuttle if their waiting time to next flight is 2 hrs or less - so they save the hassle of shuttling from Majestic in case of train/bus users and the real danger of maniac taxi drivers and road accidents in case of those hiring cars direct to Bangalore AP/Mysore city.

Two shuttles one in morning and another in eve would only connect to select flights which means traffic would be light..so it would be pointless. Of course, if schedule is even less, then forget it.

Like I said before, Chennai flights are the most feasible, and they (AAI, Yeddy) should push for it. That would ironically reduce traffic out of Bangalore, particularly for intl flights going east and also domestic flights going south. So be it. But lobbyists with vested interests may not look at it that way.

Next best is flights to Coimbatore which has lots of traffic and also hilly so distance is not easily covered in good time.

#107 ·
In terms of MYS to BLR I would always take the KSRTC bus service. Driving to BLR airport then waiting in line to check in then waiting at the gate then going on the flight and then flight delays and then waiting for bags to come out at MYS...just doesnt make sense to take a flight especially when KSRTC has a Volvo bus service for 400 Rs.

#109 ·
^^ I too think Chennai, Mumbai, Delhi links are better from tourist point of view. From Bangalore anyway volvo buses and trains are better options for tourists.

Curious to know whether there is any plan to link HSRL with Mysore railway line. In this case Mysore can also become a checkin point for BIAL passangers along with MG Road & Hebbal. (I think Yelahanka is not a checkin point). Also a few more checkin points @Mandya, Ramanagara, etc depending upon number of passengers. I think, but not sure, if they choose Metro over HSRL that can not be extended to Mysore? Anyway pickup/checkin point at Majestic would have been helpfull for HSRL if there is plan for bullet trains to other destinations in state from Majestic.

#110 · (Edited)
No Flights!!

I am a Mysorean, now working in Gurgaon after my studies. I am a Transportation Planner.

I was disheartened to see this news. I come to Mysore 4-5 times in an year. Almost everytime I see minimum 3-4 people travelling along with me in Volvo from Benglur Airport to Majestic and then to Mysore and in return travel as well. So if Mysore Airport opens it could cater to this segment of travellers, reducing the travel of 3+1.5hr on road to 30-45 mins. I hope those who using Bangalore Airport from Mysore will use Mysore airport.

On airport operations, atleast 1-2 flights connecting to Bangalore, Mangalore, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Chennai, Coimbatore, Cochin, Trivandrum and Pune will be profitable. Airlines can reschedule their flights like flights in B'lore to Cochin, Trivandrum, Coimbatore, Mangalore, Calicut with a stop at Mysore to start with, if they have any fear of passenger loads. I am sure this would be a good start to airlines to study the market. I feel Mysore Airport will see a minimum of 10-15 operations per days in first month and this will certainly raise to around 30 operations in subsequent period of time.

I have not mentioned on cargo operations. KIADB itself being a stakeholder in Mysore airport, it will have its plan for channelising investments around Mysore from corporate sector, I am sure it will utilise its investment profitably.

KSRTC will be profited with similar airport services in Bangalore and I can see rail can be an option for people travelling from other extreme of the Mysore like Hebbal, Metagalli, etc, provided Railways use their existing line starting from KRS Station to Kadakola, which is not far from Mandkalli without any new station on Mysore-Nanjangud Line, but min 2-3 stations on Mysore KRS Line.

Lets hope the best for Mysore Airport, will be able to get back the days of late 80s when Cessna, Dakota and Vayudoot aircrafts use to hover over Mysore with ATRs and Jets of today

#111 ·
On airport operations, atleast 1-2 flights connecting to Bangalore, Mangalore, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Chennai, Coimbatore, Cochin, Trivandrum and Pune will be profitable. Airlines can reschedule their flights like flights in B'lore to Cochin, Trivandrum, Coimbatore, Mangalore, Calicut with a stop at Mysore to start with, if they have any fear of passenger loads. I am sure this would be a good start to airlines to study the market. I feel Mysore Airport will see a minimum of 10-15 operations per days in first month and this will certainly raise to around 30 operations in subsequent period of time.
A stop at MYQ on any flight from BLR to COK, TRV, CJB, IXE or CCJ will add an hour to the flight time. Why would a passenger flying between BLR and any of these cities want to fly via MYQ unless the fare is lower than a non-stop flight.

#114 ·
^^ OK. Now it is clear.

Any idea what are the most suitable international locations to be connected from the view point of foriegn tourists? Singapore may be one. I think one more should be in Europe.

There are plans to develop Mysore as an educational center attracting foriegn students. Also there is a plan to promote Mysore for Health Tourism (Yoga, Health resorts, etc) So tourists, software professionals and foriegn students traffic should lead to fullfledged development of Mysore Airport in near future.

#115 ·
Flights to Sing/Bangkok, HK etc. all depart after 10.30pm so flight from Mysore to connect to these cities should depart after sunset. That would be great because there are many going to US/SE Asia that way many from further interior places too. A flight leaving MYQ at 7.30 pm or so would also help day trippers from IT company in Bangalore to go home after work. That flight can proceed on to Chennai so you can even connect to late night flights from there to these Far East destinations.

Let us hope this happens soon. Jet should have the most incentive to do this since they have flights to SE Asia from Chennai and not from BIAL so they can set fares attractive to those connecting.

#116 ·
State begins talks with airline firms on operating flights from Mysore

S. Rajendran

The new airport is set for inauguration on September 15

— Photo: M. A. Sriram

Final touches: The marking of the 1.7-km runway at the Mysore airport is under way.

BANGALORE: The State Government has begun discussions with airline companies to operate flights from the new Mysore airport.

The airport is set for inauguration on September 15, and the Director General of Civil Aviation is stated to have permitted an inaugural flight on that day.

Given the length of the runway of the new airport which is 1.7 km, only aircraft of the size of ATR-72 (which can carry up to 70 passengers) and smaller aircraft can operate from there. The State Government and the Centre are scheduled to announce the upgrading of the runway to 2.4 km, following which bigger aircraft (A-320) can operate from Mysore.

It is a wholly government owned airport compared to the new airports which are being constructed under public-private partnership. The airport terminal has been designed for a 200-passenger peak-hour load (100 passengers who arrive and 100 passengers who leave).

Chief Minister B.S. Yeddyurappa, who inspected the final touches being given for commencement of flight operations at the Mysore airport recently, is stated to have urged Union Minister for Civil Aviation Praful Patel to enable flights to Bangalore, Mumbai, Chennai and New Delhi from Mysore at the earliest.

The State Government has exuded confidence that the Mysore airport will have a good response since it will serve passengers not merely from the southern hinterland of the State, but also from the Wynad region of Kerala and parts of Tamil Nadu. This is the first airport in a tier-two city of Karnataka being commissioned in recent years, and the nearest airports to Mysore are in Coimbatore and Bangalore. The Bengaluru International Airport commenced operations in May 2008.

Sources in the State Government told The Hindu that the Airports Authority of India, which constructed the new airport, had applied to the DGCA to grant clearances for commercial flight operations, and given the detailed procedures involved in the latter giving its approval, full-fledged operations from Mysore were set to commence by mid-October.

The airport will, however, be ready for all operations from September 15 as promised by the State Government that the inauguration will be synchronised with the Dasara celebrations. The Principal Secretary to Government, Department of Infrastructure Development, V. Madhu, is stated to be coordinating with the Union Ministry of Civil Aviation and the airline operators.

Discussions are underway with private airlines such as Jetlite, Kingfisher, and others apart from Air India. It is expected that in the initial months, there will be at least one flight from Mysore, and apart from Bangalore, the plan is to connect Mysore with Chennai, Mangalore and Goa.

The State Government has decided to leave it to the commercial airlines for ground-handling systems. The new airport will not have a refuelling facility for now and the private operators have been kept informed of this matter. After the facility is created, the Government will charge four per cent tax on the aircraft turbine fuel (ATF) compared to 28 per cent in other airports in the State. This is expected to serve as an incentive to private airlines to enhance their operations from Mysore.

http://www.hindu.com/2009/08/31/stories/2009083150140100.htm

#119 ·
Good news about the airport finally opening on Sept 15th, could someone pls post some recent pics of the airport, looking forward to the next couple of weeks with enthusiasm :)

Hope they get the refueling stuff sorted out at the earliest. Also except for Kingfisher and Jet I don't think any other airline has ATR's in their fleet. Will know in couple of weeks.

Special thanks to all the members for sharing info and loading pictures.

#120 ·
Another airline that could consider its operations is Paramount. It operates with a fleet of Embraer's, which is probably suited to land in Mysore airport runway. Being a low cost (business) model, it should be able to operate successfully from Mysore.

Air India also operate ATR, particularly to routes such as Kullu. If no other airline starts operations from Mysore, the Govt may be forced to operate AI ATR's for domestic operations.

Also, I happen to go past Mysore airport on my journey to Bandipur. Work on the entrance to the airport was going on. The entrance is a double road with lights on the divider. The road was being laid. However, I couldn't get to click photos as we happened to zoom past!! Sorry guys, but if somebody could get pics, it would be great.

#121 ·
Low-cost carrier could fly inaugural flight

Air India not to operate flights to Mysore for now
S Praveen Dhaneshkar, Bangalore, Sept 2, DH News Service:

It’s now official. With barely a fortnight left for the inauguration of the Mysore Airport at Mandakalli and with the State government keen on having it operational before the Dasara festival, national carrier Air India has confirmed that it has no immediate plan to operate flights to and from the ‘City of Palaces’.

With this, the most likely inaugural flight on September 15, will be that of a private low-cost carrier. But, the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) is yet to accord final clearance to commence commercial operations and will have to first, conduct a pre-opening inspection by sending a DGCA team.

When contacted, Dr S A Nasim Zaidi, Director General of Civil Aviation told Deccan Herald from New Delhi that his office is yet to receive a full proposal from the Airport Authority of India (AAI) saying the airport is fully developed for commercial operations. “We will send a team for final inspection as and when the AAI proposal is received. As of today, we have not received anything,” he said. On allowing an inaugural flight, Dr Zaidi said it is being considered.

Meanwhile, Jitender Bhargava, executive director (Corporate Communications), Air India said: “We have no immediate plan to use the airport at Mysore,” but also maintained that if the situation so demanded in the future, they are not averse to it.

Given the present situation, highly placed sources say that that a private low-cost carrier will make the inaugural flight into the new airport with an aircraft comparable to a ATR-72, a 70-seater passenger airline.

A high level discussion to this effect was held here on Tuesday between representatives of various private airlines and the Principal Secretary, Infrastructure Development Department V Madhu, to chalk out a final decision on the flights that would operate to and from Mysore.

AI to reconsider?

“Air India chief Arvind Jadhav could be requested to operate a flight to Mysore. If they have decided not to operate to the new airport, we would like them to reconsider the decision. Jet Airways has expressed keen interest to operate flights to the new airport and Kingfisher has told us that they are examining the proposal,” said a source in the government.

The airport, wholly owned by the government and operated by the AAI, is currently equipped with a runway length of 1.74 km and can accommodate only aircraft, the size of an ATR-72 and similar small flights.

The State government has already announced upgradation of the runway length to anywhere between 2.4 to 2.6 km, to allow an A320 size aircraft to land or take-off from Mandakalli, in the second phase. AAI officials explained that the DGCA will have to consider two kinds of clearances. One, to permit an inaugural flight first, or to allow commercial operations at a later stage, after inspection.

Originally envisaged on 175 acres of land, the Mysore airport saw an acquisition of 220 more acres in the Phase 1, while another 350 acres is under acquisition stage for Phase 2. A memorandum of understanding was signed on October 6, 2005, between AAI and Government of Karnataka, to develope the existing facilities at Mandakalli.

However, an official from the AAI said the State government has chosen an inappropriate time to have the airport opened, considering that a majority of domestic carriers are still to recover from their turbulent times. “In addition to this, road and rail connectivity to Mysore is good,” he said.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/23037/air-india-not-operate-flights.html

#123 ·
http://www.hindu.com/2009/09/08/stories/2009090853980500.htm

Latest from today - still no news of airline schedules yet hardly a week to go!

All set for inauguration of Mysore airport

Special Correspondent

MYSORE: The Airports Authority of India (AAI) is geared up for inauguration of the Mysore airport as all work, including calibration of Air Traffic Control (ATC) equipment, has been completed.

However, the AAI is awaiting a date from the Ministry of Civil Aviation for the official launch, which is pending clearance from the Director-General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) who has been briefed about the developments and the work in progress.

Chief Minister B.S. Yeddyurappa announced September 15 as the date of inauguration, and the AAI officials here said they would be ready for it. The approach road to the airport arrival terminal has been completed and the interior work is going on at a brisk pace.

“The ATC tower equipment have been installed and tested,” Rajiv Gupta, General Manager, AAI, said.

He was speaking to presspersons accompanying A.H. Vishwanath, MP, who visited the airport to assess the work in progress.

Mr. Gupta said that the DGCA had raised a few points related to security, power and water supply, provision of compound wall to the airport and all of them had been addressed.

Mr. Vishwanath said he would coordinate with the Ministry of Civil Aviation to secure the DGCA approval for an early inauguration of the Mysore airport.

Mr. Gupta said that a joint security assessment was conducted for the Mysore airport and the requirements had been put forward to the State Government which had agreed to provide security and these personnel in turn would be trained by the AAI on specialised tasks, including handling a crisis situation such as hijacking.

Mr. Gupta told the delegation that the equipment had been installed at the ATC, tested and calibrated and found to be satisfactory. The Mysore airport would also have night-landing facility.

#124 ·
Mysore airport ready for inauguration
TNN 7 September 2009, 09:34pm IST
Print Email Discuss Bookmark/Share Save Comment Text Size: |
MYSORE: The tourist hub's dream of air connectivity is inching closer to reality with the Mysore airport ready for inauguration but its
commercial operation hinges on clearance from the civil aviation ministry.

As per the state government's plans, works on the airport will be through by early next week. The approach road is ready, terminal building is spruced up and finishing touches are being given. The Airports Authority of India (AAI) has taken possession of the air traffic control (ATC) tower and terminal building from the National Buildings Construction Corporation (NBCC) and has conducted joint security survey. It has calibrated the machinery for landing of the aircrafts and has got back to the directorate general of civil aviation (DGCA) for permission to open it for commercial operations.

But there is no word from the DGCA as yet and the state government is contacting the air carriers to operate out of Mysore.

On Monday, Mysore MP Adagur H Vishwanath visited the airport at Mandkalli and appreciated the works. He decided to speak to civil aviation officials in Delhi on Tuesday and impress upon them the urgency to open the facility during Dasara. AAI DGM Rajiv Gupta, in-charge of the Mysore plant, told the MP that they are ready for launch and have approached the DGCA. The pending works are through and the airport is ready for inspection by the DGCA, he said. The date for inauguration should be decided by the civil aviation ministry, he explained.

The ministry has sought explanation on ten issues and the AAI officials have got back. "I'll speak to the officials in Delhi on Tuesday'', the MP said.

Gupta said the air carriers have approached them. The state government has also held talks with the operators to devise the flights' chart. It is still in fluid situation, he noted. The airport is primarily looking at traffic from the tourism sector, he said. Domestic travellers are also expected to prefer Mysore since there is no user development fee (UDF) charged at Mysore airport, he pointed out.

However, sources told TOI that the DGCA officials, who indicated that they will arrive here in September first week, are not spelling out their plans. In the absence of any clarity, the officials are now planning to approach the civil aviation secretary, they added.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...eady-for-inauguration/articleshow/4983339.cms

#125 ·
DGCA visit unlikely before Dasara :eek:hno:

Eswar Singh
First Published : 07 Sep 2009 04:06:00 AM IST
Last Updated : 07 Sep 2009 09:13:51 AM IST

MYSORE: Although the district administration and the state government is eager to ensure that the Mysore airport is inaugurated before September 15, paving way for flight operations before Dasara; it appears that the clearance from the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) is unlikely before Dasara.

While officials of the Airport Authority of India (AAI) had said, during a Chief Minister's review meeting last month, that a DGCA team would be invited for inspection in the first week of December; sources indicate that such a visit is not likely to happen soon. The government might have to start chartered flight operations at its own risk, without DGCA clearance.

"The DGCA has its own guidelines.

Acquiring a clearance for an airport is an elaborate process. There are strict rules. The difficulties were evident before the opening of the new International airport in Bangalore. The airport in Mysore will not get any special consideration," said sources to Express.

"If the DGCA clearance does not come before Dasara, the government may consider operating chartered flights at its own risk. The state government has made arrangements for such an eventuality,"
said a source.

However, AAI officials, working on the Airport site in Mysore, clarified that they have sought an early inspection and subsequent clearance for flight operations in Mysore. "Our office in New Delhi is pursuing the matter with the DGCA. It is the DGCA's prerogative to choose a date and we cannot comment on it," said an official. He added that the work on the airport was in its final stages and acquiring a DGCA clearance would not be a problem, if the team arrived before Dasara.

http://www.expressbuzz.com/edition/...4A=&SectionName=zkvyRoWGpmWSxZV2TGM5XQ==&SEO=

#130 ·
Looks like not many airlines are willing to fly from/to Mysore...... (Latest Update- Times of India)

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...tarmac-awaits-flights/articleshow/4997190.cms

BANGALORE: The air of uncertainty over Mysore airport has only got foggier. Even as the government is pushing for its Dasara inauguration, no

airline has any flight plan leading to Mysore. While some airlines didn’t even know when the airport was opening, others said Mysore was a distant speck on their radars for now.

Now, the airport has hit another air pocket. The civil aviation ministry has conveyed to the state government that it will send a DGCA team for inspection but first wants the flight operation plans.

But the airlines are not too keen. A senior Spice Jet official said he didn’t know whether the Mysore airport runway could accommodate a Boeing 737 or Airbus 320 aircraft, which seats over 150 passengers. “Even if the runway can handle such aircraft, Mysore is not on our radar as of now.”

A Jet Airways spokesperson said, “In the face of the airline’s current crisis, Mysore is an absolute non-issue.”

“We’ve no communication on what is happening with the airport,” said a Kingfisher official. The only positive news came from Paramount Airways. “Mysore is under evaluation,” said M Thiagarajan, MD of Paramount. But it’s far from clear whether the traffic is enough for flights to the city to be viable.

Despite this turbulence, the airport could see a soft launch on September 19 when the Dasara commences, with dignitaries, including CM B S Yeddyurappa, arriving in Mysore on a chartered flight.

#131 ·
PM TO INAUGURATE MYSORE AIRPORT

Mysore, Sept. 12 (MRS&MTY)- District in-Charge Minister Shobha Karandlaje today disclosed that Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh would inaugurate the remodelled Mysore Airport at Mandakalli during Dasara.

Talking to media persons here this morning, she said that the Prime Minister would be visiting Mangalore to inaugurate the renovated airport during Dasara and he would inaugurate the Mysore airport too the same day.

"Though we were earlier planning to inaugurate the airport on Sept. 15, we decided to postpone it to a later date as the Prime Minister has accepted our invitation to inaugurate the airport," she added.

http://www.starofmysore.com/main.asp?type=news&item=21853