4M views 17K replies 432 participants last post by  90sKid 
#1 · (Edited)
Models of New Integrated Teminal

Courtesy:mdu.Raja

Note: Changed the wrong renders

See less See more
#123 ·
NAMING MADURAI AIRPORT

The Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) has urged the State government to name the madurai airport after nethaji subhash chandra bose.

http://www.hindu.com/2010/02/10/stories/2010021059080300.htm

but MKS last year when he visited madurai on thevar jayanthi, he said that talks were going on in assembly to name madurai airport after pasumpon muthuramalinga thevar. any news regarding it ?

and i dont think the state government will name mdu airport after netaji subhash chandra bose since the kolkata airport is named after this great.

#124 ·

^^The airport looks really MAAASSSIIVE....Thanks to Balaji and Madurai..

Only 2 aero-bridges are visible from here..I heard it is totally 3..Where is the 3rd one ?

Will there be the extension of apron till the terminal end ?

#126 ·
The Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) has urged the State government to name the madurai airport after nethaji subhash chandra bose.

http://www.hindu.com/2010/02/10/stories/2010021059080300.htm

but MKS last year when he visited madurai on thevar jayanthi, he said that talks were going on in assembly to name madurai airport after pasumpon muthuramalinga thevar. any news regarding it ?

and i dont think the state government will name mdu airport after netaji subhash chandra bose since the kolkata airport is named after this great.
I would have assumed that they would get creative and come up with Raja Raja Cholan to compete with Chattrapathi Sivaji in Mumbai!! Now that is one name no one can argue!!

#132 ·
^^
Don't you see the yellow ABs on the photo that I posted just above yours?
Oh,..Madurai...Thanks for your pic...I could able to see the third one..

B/w the the AB in the western end looks like not connected with the apron..thats why they are telling that the 2 will be utilised first..

It indicates that they are going to expand the apron-parking area so that the 3rd one can get connected..It is nice to see the Madurai airport expansion works well-planned...But the bitter thing is their DELAY makes the City's growth also delay..So,It'll be nice if they expedite the works and complete it faster..

#133 ·
^^

Yes. That's what I was doubting before also. They need to extend the Apron on the western side. It will be good as there will be additional slot available. But, the sad thing is that there is no work on that so far. So, it's not going to be done in this phase of work.

#134 ·
^^

Yes. That's what I was doubting before also. They need to extend the Apron on the western side. It will be good as there will be additional slot available. But, the sad thing is that there is no work on that so far. So, it's not going to be done in this phase of work.
I check regularly in AAI website tender area for tenders related to madurai airport. I havent seen any tender for such a major work. So like U said, I presume it is not going to happen in the nearfuture. It may take an year or two.

#135 · (Edited)
According to the Tender website the Time allowed: 4 Months. We will see how fast this is moved.

1. Sealed item rates tenders are invited by senior Manager Engg (Civil), Madurai Airport, Madurai on behalf of chairman, AAI from specialized agencies for SH: 1 & 2 / registered contractors of appropriate class of CPWD/MES/P&T/State PWD/PSUs for the works of “Construction of New Integrated Terminal Building at Madurai Airport. SH: [1] Providing Sewage Treatment Plant (including Civil and Electrical Works) at an estimated cost of Rs.64.74 Lacs, Time allowed: 4 Months,[2] Providing Check-in-Counters & Immigration Counters at an estimated cost of Rs.21.28 Lacs; Time allowed: 2 Months, [3] Providing Rain Water Harvesting Pits at an estimated cost of Rs.7.39 Lacs, Time allowed: 2 Months. Tender will be issued from 21.01.2010 to 22.01.2010 and shall be received till 1500 hours on 29.01.2010 and opened on the same day at 1530 hours. [The Scope of work includes Design and Construction of Sewage Treatment Plant 200m3 Capacity (Including Civil & Electrical Works) for S.No:1, Fabrication and Erection of Check-in-counters and Immigration Counters for S.No:2; Providing Rain Water Harvesting Pits for S.No:3].

Also noted that the current runway expansion can take some time. The current runway can handle Airbus-320 and Boeing-737. Airbus-320 is used in Tiger Airways and Airasia. A320-200 has a range of about 2,900 nautical miles. Distance from the Singapore to Madurai is 2990 kilometers or 1858 miles or 1615 nautical miles. If the Singapore to chennai distance is 2891 kilometers or 1797 miles or 1561 nautical miles can be covered in 4hrs, then it would mean about the same flying time to madurai.

#137 ·
Sure I see what you are pointing out but that is just the fixed section. The actual air bridges are yet to be installed. My assumption was that the third one would be installed at a later date.
Ok. I see what you mean. I also thought about that in another way. If you look at the space between the 3rd one and the 2nd one, the hanging part will go towards the 2nd one and the plane will lie there. So, all the planes will be parked to the left of it's current AB positions, if you see from the terminal. If that's the case, the current Apron should be good enough for 3 ABs and 3 planes. There is sufficient space on the right side (if you look from the terminal) of the 3rd AB to make a reverse and then turn.

#138 ·
I check regularly in AAI website tender area for tenders related to madurai airport. I havent seen any tender for such a major work. So like U said, I presume it is not going to happen in the nearfuture. It may take an year or two.
Ananth,
As I mentioned in my response to SammyK, I don't think there is a need for extending the Apron for the current ABs. However, I think it will be better for extending the Apron further to accommodate more flights.

#139 ·
According to the Tender website the Time allowed: 4 Months. We will see how fast this is moved.

Also noted that the current runway expansion can take some time. The current runway can handle Airbus-320 and Boeing-737. Airbus-320 is used in Tiger Airways and Airasia. A320-200 has a range of about 2,900 nautical miles. Distance from the Singapore to Madurai is 2990 kilometers or 1858 miles or 1615 nautical miles. If the Singapore to chennai distance is 2891 kilometers or 1797 miles or 1561 nautical miles can be covered in 4hrs, then it would mean about the same flying time to madurai.
I am not sure what you mean by runway expansion work. Currently, there is no actual work on any runway expansion. The current length is 7500ft, which is sufficient for A320 and B737 as you said.

AIE, AI, Jet Airways and Kingfisher have their share of either A320s or B737s. So, if AAI gives the necessary permissions and facilities, international flights can start at the earliest.

#140 ·
Pictures taken yesterday during my trip to Madurai from MAA through Paramount airways.

Madurai bound Paramount at MAA. 12:50 dep from MAA Looks that was the peak time for Madurai flights from MAA.

New terminal U/C in Left and old terminal at right