daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Economy, Infrastructure and Transportation > Sporting Infrastructure and Events > The Touchline

The Touchline Sports

Old March 7th, 2010, 06:35 PM   #1
Mo Rush
life.love.everything else

Likes (Received): 48

Cape Town's 3rd PSL Side: Vasco!

Vasco da Gama in the PSL

Posted: 2010-03-07 18:14
Vasco da Gama secured promotion to the PSL when they beat Black Leopards 2-1 (aggregate score 3-2) in a thrilling Promotional Play-off at a scorching hot Parow Park on Sunday afternoon.

Vasco had the better chances on goal in the first half.

Within the first six minutes Jonathan Armogam had a shot from a tight angle saved at the near post by Vusimusi Gwanya and then Bradley August sent a header just wide of target.

Leopards had little to show for their early efforts – only a couple of ineffectual corners and a 23rd minute shot from Walter Ramulondi which posed no problems for Postnett Omony in the Vasco goal.

The home team were nearly in front on the half-hour mark when Armogam’s header was cleared off the line.

And from the resultant corner they took the lead when August powered a header into the back of the net.

But Lidoda Duhva hit straight back as Lungu Grant netted from close range after a cross from the right.

The home side started the second half with purpose, immediately putting Leopards onto the back foot.

But it was the Limpopo side who had a great chance when Mahlatse Maake received the ball right in front of goal, however, Omony made a superb save.

Vasco coach Carlos das Neves made a double change around the hour mark, bringing on Geoffrey Sserunkuma and Brian Kgafane, both of whom quickly stamped their mark on the game.

The pressure began to increase from the Cape side and with seven minutes to go Sserunkuma earned a penalty.

Skipper Keenin Lesch stepped up to take the kick and held his nerve to make Vasco the third Cape side in the PSL.

Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 8th, 2010, 07:35 AM   #2
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Likes (Received): 63

Honestly, I wish that Black Leopards was the one promoted as Cape Town teams lack the vibe even though they play better football. PSL need teams that will bring people to the games and Black Leopard have got the ability to do so.
Old March 8th, 2010, 08:23 AM   #3
crazydude

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pule View Post
Honestly, I wish that Black Leopards was the one promoted as Cape Town teams lack the vibe even though they play better football. PSL need teams that will bring people to the games and Black Leopard have got the ability to do so.
I was also hoping Black Leoaprds would go up, if only to help with the Georraphic spread of teams. Well done to Vasco, but good luck surving. Entering a market with 2 entrenched teams will be very hard, I'll be interested to see what they do in terms of a home ground and trying to get fans, I remember that they had a ton of white fans while in the NFD.
crazydude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 09:37 AM   #4
Mo Rush

Yeah, but at least we have lots of stadia for them to choose from !!

Maybe two thousand at Cape Town stadium every other week

Old March 8th, 2010, 09:48 AM   #5
crazydude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
Yeah, but at least we have lots of stadia for them to choose from !!

Maybe two thousand at Cape Town stadium every other week
I think that CTS is quite out of teh question for Vasco, no way they can afford the rent there. What is their stadium in Parrow like, on TV it looks like a field with stands put up on the sides, not really PSL quality. I assume AThlone will be booked up by Santos and Ajax, so Vasco will need some small ground in the city.
Old March 8th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #6
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydude View Post
I think that CTS is quite out of teh question for Vasco, no way they can afford the rent there. What is their stadium in Parrow like, on TV it looks like a field with stands put up on the sides, not really PSL quality. I assume AThlone will be booked up by Santos and Ajax, so Vasco will need some small ground in the city.
I don't think Parow is their venue, just used because many people were expected.

Philippi is too far from their fan base, which is probably one of the most mixed racially, of all the PSL slides.

I don't think Ajax or Santos could afford CTS, so they would need to form some type of partnership. Wonder what they paying now to use Newlands or Athlone on the odd occasion.

I've always supported CTS just being used, even if they only make the first tier available for local PSL matches.

Its a venue paid for by our taxpayer money and it should host events of all sizes, while the operator focuses on 10 large events annualy.

Luckily the city included a provision to ensure that events that previously took place at the adjacent stadium could make use of CTS.

Old March 8th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #7
Mo Rush

Or I could design a venue for them. I think I'll do that.

DB can do the engineering aspects. Annman the urban aspects and SAboy the project management/delivery.

Old March 8th, 2010, 12:34 PM   #8
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Quote:

Philippi is too far from their fan base, which is probably one of the most mixed racially, of all the PSL slides.
True Mo, they racially mixed and that's good but they still have to

I don't think Ajax or Santos could afford CTS, so they would need to form some type of partnership. Wonder what they paying now to use Newlands or Athlone on the odd occasion.
Old March 8th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #9
Durbsboi
East Coast Massiv

Likes (Received): 29

Congrats to Vasco! Jomo must be banging his head on the wall saying "not again"

Quote:
haha shame cut them some slack even though they'll go straight down next season.

Quote:
Or I could design a venue for them. I think I'll do that.

DB can do the engineering aspects. Annman the urban aspects and SAboy the project management/delivery.

lol, no problemo

Bucket Facebook Page
Durbsboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #10
crazydude

Quote:
I don't think Parow is their venue, just used because many people were expected.

I've always supported CTS just being used, even if they only make the first tier available for local PSL matches.

Its a venue paid for by our taxpayer money and it should host events of all sizes, while the operator focuses on 10 large events annualy.

Luckily the city included a provision to ensure that events that previously took place at the adjacent stadium could make use of CTS.
Parrow Park is/was their home venue, I'm forced to follow the NFD since Bay United play there (if the even exist next season).

Anyway, about CTS being used, I would love to see it hosting games, but I assume that the rent will be too high for Ajax or Santos. May the derby can be played there, and some cup games. If SAFA decide to take Bafana games to CT, they can now with CTS.

I know here in PE Bay United said that they couldn't afford to use NMB Stadium, but there basically bankrupt now.
Old March 8th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #11
Mo Rush

Bafana might play at CTS pre WC but no confirmation in newspapers.
A tournament against Brazil, Ghana, Nigeria

Old March 8th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #12
Andrew_za

Likes (Received): 133

I'm just glad the players from CT are being recognised...
In terms of support; there is plenty of supporters in CT, but many would not believe this because very few games get played here e.g. Bafana games
Old March 8th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #13
T.U.G.Z

Likes (Received): 0

Ive said it before and ill say it again. A quality stadium will attract the fans, not visa versa. Theres an untapped market of football supporters in SA especially in places like CT and KZN, its up to the respective clubs to lure them in.
Best case scenario would be for Ajax and Santos to use CTS and Vasco to use Athlone, but we all know that wont happen.

What worries me now is the future of peter mokaba and Mbombela stadium, with Black Leopards and MP black aces having to square off, it means one stadium will suffer.
T.U.G.Z no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 07:25 PM   #14
crazydude

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.U.G.Z View Post
Ive said it before and ill say it again. A quality stadium will attract the fans, not visa versa. Theres an untapped market of football supporters in SA especially in places like CT and KZN, its up to the respective clubs to lure them in.
Best case scenario would be for Ajax and Santos to use CTS and Vasco to use Athlone, but we all know that wont happen.

What worries me now is the future of peter mokaba and Mbombela stadium, with Black Leopards and MP black aces having to square off, it means one stadium will suffer.
I also see this as a problem, but I doubt that football in SA will ever drop the promotion and relegation system. That's why we will get stuck with the geographic spread problems. PE is another glaring example. A big city with no team.

I don't think that VAsco should use Athlone, it's quite far from their main fan base. Is there a decent 20 or 25 000 seater somewhere near Parrow that they could use?
Old March 8th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #15
Lydon
wow

Likes (Received): 1479

I'd go to the soccer if the stadium were nice myself
Old March 9th, 2010, 12:54 AM   #16
Trelawny
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

The article said it was 'scorching hot'. How hot is it right now?
Trelawny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 04:50 AM   #17
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Nice stadiums will not solely attract fans but rather the sense of belonging by the supporters is what makes people support their team. Bloemfontein Celtic supporters are staholders in their team and they are part of decision making even though they don't have tangable share holding in the team. Supporters need to be consulted and kept up to date with everything going on in the club. Engage people who are behind you and always thank them for their support then you will see more supporters/fans coming on board.

Teams should also focus on the entertainment and involving young boys and girls in development programs.
Old March 9th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #18
Mo Rush

Vasco ready for the voyage of a lifetime

March 09, 2010 Edition 2

JOHN GOLIATH

VASCO da Gama captain Keenin Lesch paid tribute to his "warriors" after they were crowned National First Division champions and earned automatic promotion to the Premiership yesterday afternoon.

"All credit must go to the guys," an emotional Lesch said after the game.

"They fought in Thohoyandou, they fought in Port Elizabeth and Durban. They are all warriors, and you know what, with warriors you can go to war ... and win.

"When the PSL teams come to play Vasco da Gama, they are going to have a battle on their hands," said the central midfielder, who scored the winning goal from the penalty spot in the 79th minute.

Vasco coach Carlos das Neves, who has been with the team for nine years, was a happy man after the game.

"We are on top of the world," said Das Neves.

"I have been coaching the team for nine years and this was always our dream (to make it to the Premiership) and we have made it. Two seasons ago we were in the Vodacom play-offs and not many people know that. So in two years, to get promoted to the Premiership and achieve our dream on the 30th anniversary of Vasco da Gama, is just fantastic.

"We are a team made up of mostly local players. The season has ended early because of the World Cup. So we have two to three months to plan and bolster the squad. I'm looking forward to the challenge," said Das Neves.

PSL CEO Kjetil Siem has welcomed Vasco da Gama into the PSL's elite League for the 2010/2011 season. Siem was on hand in Parow Park to present the winners with the NFD trophy as well as a cheque for R300 000.

"Vasco's promotion is richly deserved," said Siem.

Siem pointed out, however, that Vasco will need to find a suitable home ground as their current stadium does not meet PSL requirements for Premier League football.

Old March 9th, 2010, 09:26 AM   #19
Kwazimoto
No one knows for sure.

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
not, really they also have shitty attendance... all these stadia need rugby for life after W.C.
Old March 9th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #20
Mo Rush

eish