daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Southeast

Southeast » Development News | Includes TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY.

View Poll Results: Which of these cities has the best transit
Miami Area 6 14.63%
Jacksonville 0 0%
Atlanta 21 51.22%
Charlotte 8 19.51%
Memphis 0 0%
Birmingham 0 0%
Tampa Area 0 0%
Little Rock 0 0%
New Orleans Area 6 14.63%
Nashville 0 0%
Chattanooga 0 0%
Raliegh- Durham 0 0%
Winston Salem-Greensboro 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 1st, 2005, 08:05 PM   #1
Jayayess1190

Likes (Received): 27

Transit 101

What city in the South has the best transit? Why?
Jayayess1190 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 1st, 2005, 08:32 PM   #2
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 119

Atlanta.....not that incredible well used but not to bad and it is quite extensive.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2005, 11:41 PM   #3
citykid09

Likes (Received): 0

Why did you leave out Dallas?

Houston is just getting started.
citykid09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2005, 11:50 PM   #4
teshadoh
100% Right 50% Of Time

Likes (Received): 1

^ I agree - I think Dallas is has a better transit system.

But if Atlanta does develop all the proposed transit projects - then Atlanta.
teshadoh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2005, 11:50 PM   #5
texasboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by citykid09
Why did you leave out Dallas?

Houston is just getting started.
i guess he just left out the cities in texas, because some of these cities listed don't even have mass transit while there are 3 in texas that do. dallas would probably be my pick if it were listed, but since it is not, i would say atl or miami. c'mon people. every city has bus service.

i know atl has lines going east to west and north and south. miami has that also, but they have lines that go in more directions. atl probably has more mileage though.

Last edited by texasboy; May 2nd, 2005 at 12:27 AM.
texasboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:56 AM   #6
TarheelsCubs

I have never been to Houston but do the rest of those cities have any real transit systems?

Atlanta's is pretty extensive but I do not feel very safe on their subways. Charlotte's transit is still small and young. So I vote for none of the cities.

Best transit in the northeast goes to NYC, then Boston, and Philly. I feel safe riding on all three.
TarheelsCubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:43 AM   #7
teshadoh
100% Right 50% Of Time

^ Charlotte hasn't developed it's transit system yet - only a streetcar line exists in Charlotte (besides bus routes).

Cities with a mass transit system (fixed rail system beyond a single line - Memphis, Jacksonville, Little Rock, Tampa):
Miami
Atlanta
New Orleans
Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:58 AM   #8
Lakelander

Likes (Received): 294

Depends, are we just talking about one type of rail system (like Atlanta's Marta or Miami's Metrorail) or are we bringing other types of local rail systems (like Miami's Tri-Rail and Metromover lines) in to the equation. If so, I'd say Miami or Dallas, in terms of overall coverage and mileage. If we're talking about just one system, then probably Dallas' light rail system.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 02:24 AM   #9
Justadude

Has ground been broken yet on Charlotte rail stations?
Justadude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 02:41 PM   #10
johnatl

Even without any future heavy rail extensions, MARTA is pretty decent IF your destination is near a rail station. Taking it to the airport is wonderful if you live near a station (as I am lucky enough to). I really think the only future heavy rail extension will probably be up 400 to Windward Pkwy, and perhaps to the west out to Fulton Industrial. There is also a big push in some quarters to convert the NW BRT/HOV fiasco up I-75/575 back to LRT - as was originally planned before the recent Republican takeover of State government.

I think it is pretty impressive that MARTA rail carries 226,000 riders on weekdays, vs 56,500 for Metrorail in Miami. Sorry, but I don't have figures for TriRail.
johnatl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:22 AM   #11
newyorkrunaway1
Skyscraper Guru

well, since you didnt even add dallas, i had to go for atlanta, its designed a tad bit better than the other cities which you listed.
newyorkrunaway1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:05 AM   #12
lammius
Jersey FRESH

This is like picking the least bad one.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:43 PM   #13
teshadoh
100% Right 50% Of Time

Insightful comment lameus, thank you for gracing us with your deliberate trollness.

Otherwise, I doubt you would here any of us commenting how these systems are the best in the nation - but beyond just 6 transit systems in the nation - there isn't much to pick from. I think it's a matter of our nation's dedication towards the automobile than an indictement of southeastern transit service.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:11 PM   #14
lammius
Jersey FRESH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrad
Insightful comment lameus, thank you for gracing us with your deliberate trollness.

Otherwise, I doubt you would here any of us commenting how these systems are the best in the nation - but beyond just 6 transit systems in the nation - there isn't much to pick from. I think it's a matter of our nation's dedication towards the automobile than an indictement of southeastern transit service.
I'm not trolling at all. I'm from the South and have much love for it. It's just that transit isn't the first thing many people would think of when considering southern cities. I simply can't think of a city in the South where you can get anywhere you need to go using transit, and find the South to be the least transit-dependent or transit friendly region of the country (unless you carve the Rocky Mountain region out of the West). I agree our dependence on the automobile and the present state of the federal government make transit projects almost impossible to achieve.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:37 PM   #15
teshadoh
100% Right 50% Of Time

^ Fair enough, sorry for the comment
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:47 PM   #16
lammius
Jersey FRESH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrad
^ Fair enough, sorry for the comment
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:49 PM   #17
vcross

Since Dallas wasn't on the list...

I picked ATL. Doesn't ATL have the most riders of any system in the south? They also have a direct connection to their airport which is a great asset to the system.

If Dallas were on the list, I'd be tempted to change my choice. I think it's system has more miles of track (?) and has less stigma than ATL's. (Based on my non-scientific subjective judgment. Riding the train is "cool" here and isn't perceived as unsafe.) Dallas' system also has experienced a boom in transit related, dense, multiuse development around stations.

Dallas doesn't have a connection to the airport yet, so that's a knock against it. Fortunately 2 new lines will be built in the next few years and both airports will have rail service, although it looks like Love will only get a spur.

I'd never seen the commuter rail map for ATL. Is that funded or just pie in the sky? That looks like a great plan if it comes through.

N. TX has extensive passenger rail planned as well. There is a push to get a regional rail transit authority formed but it won't be heard this legislative session so I have no idea of a timeframe.
vcross no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:22 AM   #18
Jayayess1190

Likes (Received): 27

For a commuter rail map of Atlanta look at http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=208282
Jayayess1190 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:35 AM   #19
sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius
I simply can't think of a city in the South where you can get anywhere you need to go using transit, and find the South to be the least transit-dependent or transit friendly region of the country (unless you carve the Rocky Mountain region out of the West).
I can think of one--New Orleans.

It has an excellent bus and streetcar system all connecting on a grid system with easy transfers. I lived there for years without a car. Even when I had a car, I rarely went downtown with it.

Check out Canal Street at 5 PM and see the dozens of streetcars and buses packed with thousands of passengers.
Old May 5th, 2005, 04:24 AM   #20
lammius
Jersey FRESH

I've never been to New Orleans but have heard about the streetcar system. I voted for that city here yesterday.