SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Show a map of your country's motorway network!

34K views 64 replies 46 participants last post by  yasirniazkhan 
G
#1 ·
Show us some maps of your country's motorway network (controlled access roads with at least two lanes in each direction with a separator plus emergency lanes).

Here's Portugal:

Red-Yellow-Red lines (tolls) and Blue-Yellow-Blue lines (no tolls)

Northern Lisbon area

Souther Lisbon area

Oporto province

Aveiro province

Leiria province

See less See more
#2 ·
I must say that not all the motoways shown on the first map are built, but the majority of them are, and the others are either in constructions, or in an advance planning stage.
I would say that all the motorways shown on the map will be built by 2007. :D

G
#4 ·
Nephasto said:
I must say that not all the motoways shown on the first map are built, but the majority of them are, and the others are either in constructions, or in an advance planning stage.
I would say that all the motorways shown on the map will be built by 2007. :D
Yeah...but the vast majority have already been built. Only a few in the interior are still under construction. :)

#5 ·
We don't really build freeways outside of our cities. The Hume Freeway, which connects Melbourne and Sydney is almost completed to a 4 lane dual carriageway. There's less than 150Km of a 600Km road left to upgrade. The Pacific Highway, between Sydney and Brisbane, only has about 300Km of 1000Km left to upgrade. The Federal and Barton Highways, which connect Canberra to the Hume Highway are the only completed dual carriageways. But they're only about 100Km long each.

They Hume and Pacific Highways are Australia's two busiest interstate highways. In a decade or so, the Dukes Highway, and Princes Highway between Melbourne and Adelaide might be upgraded to a dual carriageway.

Australia doesn't really need many dual carriageways outside of our major cities. We're the 6th largest country on Earth, but we only have 20 million people. There's no point.

#9 ·
Yes, all the blue lines are freeways (motorways, whatever you care to call them :))with dual carriageways and full access control. However, some of them are not technically Interstate Highways, but they function the same way. The green lines are toll highways that are access controlled like interstates. The Western half of the map would be a bit more spartan :)

#11 ·
The Eisenhower Interstate system really has no equal anywhere else in the world when it comes to its sheer capacity for traffic and expansiveness. You can drive from New York City to Los Angeles or from Seattle to Miami without going through a single traffic light. It also carries 25% of all American vehicular traffic at any given time and was built over a course of 35 years, from the late 1950's to the late 1980's. It's still under expansion today. The sheer amount of cars and trucks that use it, most of it toll-free is just staggering, yet the vast majority of it is traffic-jam free. Using the interstates, I can drive from my hometown of Huntsville, Alabama, which is near Decatur in northern Alabama to Chicago in about 8 hours. That's about 600 miles (1000 km) driving straight north on I-65. The only major cities I go through are Nashville, Louisville (the halfway point), and Indianapolis, each with populations between 1.3 and 1.8 million.

Interstates get more lanes as they get closer to bigger cities and metros. Usually anywhere from 6 to 14 lanes total, sometimes more. The speed limits are usually 65 or 70 mph (100-110 km/h) in rural areas, up to 75 mph in the rural western states. Of course, most people exceed these speed limits since traffic-law enforcement cameras are basically non-existent throughout most of the US. You do have to be careful about radar set up by police cars or state troopers every once in a while though. Some states are more anal about speed enforcement than others.

#13 ·
Germany's Autobahn-System

(the red-yellow ones are U/C)

There are further motorways planned.

In general there are no speed limits on the german Autobahn, unless it is signposted. But sometimes (especially after terrible accidents) there is a discussion about introducing a general speed limit of 130 KM/H. From january 2005 Trucks have to pay toll fares for the use of the motorways. Cars can drive toll-free.

#14 ·
Here is Campinas Region - São Paulo State - Brasil.
BR are Federal Highways and SP are State Highways.

2 lines red: 4 or 6 lanes - Max. speed: 80 to 110 km/h
1 line red (bold): 2 lanes - Federal or State higways - Max. speed: 80 km/h
1 line red (thin): 2 lanes - Municipal Highways - Max. speed: 80 km/h

G
#17 ·
What is the total length of dual carriageway freeways with limited access in U.S and in Canada?

I have always thougt that U.S was the country with most freeways per citizen in the world, but after looking at the U.S freewaymap I doubt it.

#19 ·
This is a map showing the NHDP. This network connects the four major metros of the country(The red one). The blue line indicates the east west link. The green line shows the north south link.

This map shows the connection of major ports to the main network shown above.

#23 ·
CHILE motorways sistem! north-south !

the green zones are national parks!! :)

#24 ·
DiggerD21 said:
Germany's Autobahn-System

In general there are no speed limits on the german Autobahn, unless it is signposted. But sometimes (especially after terrible accidents) there is a discussion about introducing a general speed limit of 130 KM/H. From january 2005 Trucks have to pay toll fares for the use of the motorways. Cars can drive toll-free.
@DiggerD21: It seems to be a world-wide myth that you can go as fast as you want on the Autobahn system in Germany, but on various TV shows I've seen, they've shown it is almost impossible to go very fast. There are generally only two lanes in each direction on the Autobahn, and because there is so much traffic it is very difficult to go fast.

From what I understand, the only country in Europe where you are allowed by law to go as fast as you want and are actually have space on the highway to go extremely fast is in certain parts of Italy.

#25 ·
Nick in Atlanta said:
@DiggerD21: It seems to be a world-wide myth that you can go as fast as you want on the Autobahn system in Germany, but on various TV shows I've seen, they've shown it is almost impossible to go very fast. There are generally only two lanes in each direction on the Autobahn, and because there is so much traffic it is very difficult to go fast.

From what I understand, the only country in Europe where you are allowed by law to go as fast as you want and are actually have space on the highway to go extremely fast is in certain parts of Italy.
While its true that you can't drive very fast in urban areas do to the traffic, there are no speed limits in rural areas and traffic is often light. And you don't need 8 lane freeways to drive fast.

#26 ·
Nick in Atlanta said:
Were have you seen this. It`s true that most Autobahns are overcrowded, but there is still enough space for fast drivers. I think there are less than 50% with 2 lanes in each direction, most of the network today has 3 or more lanes, especially in urban areas. There are speed limits in some areas, but nobody really cares. I used to drive about 180-200 kmh when i`m in a hurry and never get problems... In Italy you might have more space, but i think the generall speed limit is 130 kmh and there`s much more police on the streets.