daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Bulgaria > Regional Bulgaria > Sofia

Sofia Buildings | Сгради

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 2nd, 2005, 06:35 AM   #21
Football Rules
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Great looking airport.
The terminal has similarities with the one being built in Rinas.

I would not try to compare airports as to say it's better than the other.
Every airport has a different design, a different feel to it.
It's wrong to say one is better than the other when they both offer the same.
It's better in one's view but not on the other's.
Football Rules no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2005, 08:11 AM   #22
Dulgeroff
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Business development for Sofia Airport

I have some information on the total development of the area surrounding the terminal building. The plan is to have these completed in five years time.

The terminal will be connected by gallery bridges to the following areas:

Communications center
(includes a group of hotels) area: 64200 m2
Administrative zone area: 28800 m2
Retail zone area: 28800 m2
Business center area: 66700 m2
Park "Communications and Culture" area: 114560 m2
Sports Park area: 42000 m2
Technical core area: 4100 m2
Recultivated Zone area: 69100 m2

Including the terminal building in 2010, the public area of the airport complex will be more than 500,000m2. All these areas are to be connected in various
ways. For example, the communications center will be connceted to the terminal building via a cylindrical glass tube. The Communications center itself will have a metro station connecting it and the entire airport complex to the Todor Alexandrov metropolitan station in donwtown Sofia. As a side note, the Todor Alexandrov boulevard along with a few others in the central part of the city, forming a downtown triangle, have been designated skyscraper zones. The ambitious plan is to initially build six skyscrapers along Todor Alexandrov bvd. The first three buildings are expected to be 35 stories each. Sofia Mayor Sofianski and the chief architect want to make Sofia a city with Skyscrapers lining the center according to the tri boulevard area. The idea is to do this step by step for the next 20 years according to the new Sofia development plan, which has taken its first successful step with the construction of this new airport. Anyway, due to increased investors interest, various realestate projections set Sofia's skyline at 20+ skyscrapers by 2025. Currently East Indian, Chinese and Turkish investors are said to be planning such investments for corporate offices, which would be their gateway to the west. Bulgaria is to join the EU in 2007, 2008 if delayed, and it is seen as a bridging country between east and west. According to a recent article in imoti.com, Sofia, due to its central most location on the Balkans, and the rapid development of the infrastructure and economy, is seen as a currently relatively cheap and very profitable location for such investments. Virtually all major European railways and highways pass through here on the way to Istanbul and thereby the Middle East. Anyway, Business Park Sofia is another success for Sofia's business plan, since it is already built halfway and when completed in two years to be 220,000 m2. It is the first of its kind on the Balkans. They have begun constructing the residential park, which is even bigger, and now a Spanish firm is about to start another business park which will be even bigger. Sofia is developing quickly, and though the plan extends for twenty years into the future, we are currently taking it step by step. This may seem slow to some, but the pace is designed to be sustainable and will change Sofia's image in the long term. In 20 years, you'll not only land in a modern airport, but you may be pleasantly surprised by a large, beautiful skyline. Anyway, there are many projects I can tell you about, but I'll also do this step by step. I'm sure I've bored you too much already.
Dulgeroff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 09:11 AM   #23
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 484

woooooooww...Hold it there!

how darn small is this?
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 09:15 AM   #24
Poliochni

Well you OBVIOUSLY did NOT see post 12 !!! Go back one page and have a look !

Plus the interior renderings - G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S !!! With those lifts, elevators and the ample natural light .....it just looks AMAZING !

Well done SOFIA !
Poliochni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 09:25 AM   #25
Dulgeroff
BANNED

LOOKS BIG FROM HERE!!!!

Giorgios, consider that it's capacity is set to quadruple over the next 10 years. By the way, did you read what I said about the next five years of development? Well, the total airport complex of interconnected buildings and public parks will be over approximately 550,000 m2. By the way, that bird's eye view, shows two 747 aircraft by the gallery on the 4th and 5th fingers, counting from the right. On the other side you'll see 737s. Now just extrapolate, because I don't think an airport is small when the arrivals and departure zone is over 200 meters wide. Or when the airport is over 400 meters in length from the finger gallery to the extrem edge of the parkade. Remember, this is the first stage, and there are still phases two and three with regard to this terminal. It will quadruple its capacity and size over the next few years.

Last edited by Dulgeroff; July 2nd, 2005 at 09:45 AM.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 09:41 AM   #26
Dulgeroff
BANNED

More

Phase 1 'current' development

These are from Braykov's thread on Sofia Airport

[IMG]http://www.sofia-air********/En/Image19.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.sofia-air********/En/Image3.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Dulgeroff; July 2nd, 2005 at 12:41 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 02:04 PM   #27
pitq

Likes (Received): 53

How big will be capacity of the airport after opening new terminal?
pitq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 02:12 PM   #28
mic of Orion
I come in peace \V/

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitq
How big will be capacity of the airport after opening new terminal?
I think with 8 aircraft per hour x 15 hours a day x 364 days = 4.3 million passengers, but airport could expand in near future anyways. Capacity of 14 million is quite feasible on this location.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Religion leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to bigotry, bigotry leads to suffering!!!" Mic of Orion

Last edited by mic of Orion; January 27th, 2008 at 07:36 PM.
mic of Orion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 03:29 PM   #29
Sarajka

Likes (Received): 6

I hope Sofia will become a new hub for Balkan air travel. There's nothing worse than heading East and having to fly to Germany first.
Sarajka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 03:31 PM   #30
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulgeroff
Giorgios, consider that it's capacity is set to quadruple over the next 10 years. By the way, did you read what I said about the next five years of development? Well, the total airport complex of interconnected buildings and public parks will be over approximately 550,000 m2. By the way, that bird's eye view, shows two 747 aircraft by the gallery on the 4th and 5th fingers, counting from the right. On the other side you'll see 737s. Now just extrapolate, because I don't think an airport is small when the arrivals and departure zone is over 200 meters wide. Or when the airport is over 400 meters in length from the finger gallery to the extrem edge of the parkade. Remember, this is the first stage, and there are still phases two and three with regard to this terminal. It will quadruple its capacity and size over the next few years.
no need to get all defencive. i love the building and all but when i noticed this pic i was like WTF!!! it looks so darn small. How much aircraft will it handle in 10 years per hour?
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 03:44 PM   #31
mic of Orion
I come in peace \V/

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarajka
I hope Sofia will become a new hub for Balkan air travel. There's nothing worse than heading East and having to fly to Germany first.

I think Mila most airports in these parts are getting upgrade,...

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Religion leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to bigotry, bigotry leads to suffering!!!" Mic of Orion

Last edited by mic of Orion; January 27th, 2008 at 07:38 PM.
mic of Orion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 04:00 PM   #32
Sarajka

Likes (Received): 6

I hope we succeed in rebuilding the tourism industry in Sarajevo as well, Mic. We're very lucky in that we're able to feed off other tourism industries - and they let us.

For example: http://www.croatiafortravellers.co.u...coachtours.htm

http://www.atlas-croatia.com/en/inde...d=20&Itemid=86
(Typical itinerary: Day 2 Monday DUBROVNIK - MOSTAR - SARAJEVO:
Morning departure to Mostar. Sightseeing tour of Mostar including the old Bazaar, the Mosque and a typical Turkish house. We continue up to Sarajevo.
Afternoon city tour of Sarajevo including Bascarsija, Oriental Svrzo House and Tunel War Museum.Dinner and overnight in Sarajevo. Day 3 Tuesday SARAJEVO - ZAGREB: After breakfast, we drive northwards to Slavonski Brod where we arrive at lunch time. We continue to Zagreb.
Dinner and overnight in Zagreb.)

There is barely a guided tour in Croatia that doesn't include a day trip to Bosnia - mainly to Medugorje and Mostar, but more frequently to Sarajevo. I'm confident that Sarajevo isn't something that needs to be marketed. If we can get people to come here, then that's enough. Just as it, word will spread again and people will start to return.

Anyhow, I don't care that I have to connect through other airports to travel - if you go far enough, you almost always have to anyway. I'd just much rather be giving my money to a country like Bulgaria than, say, Germany or Austria.

So good luck Bulgaria! Come out onto the market with your arms swining and lets see what you can do!
Sarajka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 06:05 PM   #33
braykov1988
Kameniza

браво, браво, още един ентусиаст от на6те Добре дошъл братле!

Congrats on the fine thread, you've dug out some amazing renderings and bits of info. The airport sure is a lovely design, and judging from the construction sight pictures it's the greatest building endeavour in this country since the NDK was constructed some 25yrs ago. It's so nicely planned with the park, lake, hotels and all... I really doubt it t hough that the beauty and scale will compensate for the long waiting-the project dates as far back as the 70s, the current terminal was inappropriately small even then! currently it has to manage a traffic of 1.5mln passangers, it's greatly congested. the terminal is so puny I feel ashamed when I have to meet sb visiting BG for the first time. It wouldn't be that way if they had started earlier and hadn't delayed the new terminal for decades. but anyhow, I'm glad they're so close to getting the job done. it's almost hard to believe...
btw, do you know if the 31Aug deadline applies just to construction or the terminal will be servicing passangers by then? I've booked a flight to Tampa for 2Sept and I was really hoping to use the new terminal. but I hear the road connection will be constructed in december!
braykov1988 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 09:51 PM   #34
Dulgeroff
BANNED

Time of opening...

Hi Braykov,

Thanks... Glad to meet you. I also enjoyed your thread. Anyway, you're right, the terminal will open in two months, but the road connection will not be completed until then. So, I myself don't understand how something can open if no one can get to it. On the other hand, I think they will probably use another means of getting to and from this airport. Perhaps there will be a flimsy road that will be discarded once the highway link is completed. This kind of thing is done all over the world in all sorts of construction projects. None the less, I can not give you a 100% answer with regard to your question.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 10:03 PM   #35
Dulgeroff
BANNED

A couple more pictures...

Here's PM Simeon S. Coburg-Gotha walking around the airport. He seems to like it.

Here's what the airport central section looked like a few months ago when it was still far from finished. This is even before the blue tinted glass fascades were installed.

Old July 2nd, 2005, 10:11 PM   #36
Dulgeroff
BANNED

Some more eye candy of Sofia Airport

Here's the old head of Sofia Airport, walking around to inspect the construction works. He was later dismissed, because his contract had been up. Now there's some new amigo running the show, and he's suppost to be a real biz maverick. Anyway...

Old July 2nd, 2005, 10:25 PM   #37
Dulgeroff
BANNED

BIGGER candy

Here's a frontal shot of the terminal again. Look all the way to the left and you'll see cars parked near the airport. This will give you a bearing on relative distance, size, etc...

Old July 2nd, 2005, 10:32 PM   #38
braykov1988
Kameniza

I guess they'll be training staff and installing equipment throughout the rest of 2005 the august deadline was just for major construction work. I also wonder what will happen to the cute little termional now in use. domestic routes?
lol, our PM looks as if he's just shitted in his pants...
braykov1988 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 10:52 PM   #39
Dulgeroff
BANNED

Yeap, King Simeon took a dump...

Well, I read in www.stroitelstvo.info that they were going to transfer over the staff from the old airport to the new airport in August. They have been underging training so that the transfer is smooth. Also, they are supposedly installing all the necessary equipment as we speak. The large construction works are supposed to be finished, and now they're putting in billboards, interior fascades, electronic tools, etc... So, according to that article, absolutely everything with regard to the terminal building will be completed by August 31. I hope this makes you happy, because it may give you the chance to fly out of this newborn pup. Man, that's cool, cause you may just be one of the first to use it. I hope you do...
Old July 2nd, 2005, 11:03 PM   #40
Mr. T
Don't forget a towel!

Likes (Received): 1

Wow.

Great job Bulgaria, this is really going to be a great airport. I love the look and it seems to be very modern.

Sofia is going to have a great airport to go along with a great city.

Tags
airport, bulgaria, sofia, terminal