daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Bulgaria > Regional Bulgaria > Sofia

Sofia Buildings | Сгради

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 19th, 2005, 03:16 AM   #61
3tmk
Rusty Robot

^well to tell the truth I feel that the govt should not forget the rest of the country... They did set up tenders of the Varna and Burgas airports, I think the Danes won the deal, but what I've been dying to see built, as it will help transportation from West to East, is that damned second Danube Bridge. Over a decade they're supposed to start it, and they still haven't decided on its design

Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2005, 03:20 AM   #62
Kommandant Mark
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Whats the latest news on that bridge? How much would it cost?
And can we see a photo of the "first" Danube bridge?
Kommandant Mark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2005, 03:34 AM   #63
3tmk
Rusty Robot

I think they're supposed to make the final decisions this year and start construction in 2006, in Vidin.
As for the Dunav Most, don't even bother, it's ugly

But I have great hopes for this new bridge, especially if it's a suspension bridge, I think it will span over 2000m, so you know it will need support
Old July 19th, 2005, 03:42 AM   #64
Kommandant Mark
BANNED

Looks a lot like Belgrade's Pancevacki Bridge (city's only bridge over Danube...two more should be built by 2010-2020)

Old July 19th, 2005, 04:14 AM   #65
SkylineTurbo
|| PAKISTAN ZINDABAD ||

Likes (Received): 6

Does anyone have any news on any new airlines which will operate to Sofia, I have only heard that Wizz Air (Budapest) and SN Brussels Airlines (Brussels) are coming.
SkylineTurbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2005, 04:36 AM   #66
Kommandant Mark
BANNED

Bulgaria Air (FB) are to start a twice weekly service between SOF and MAN, starting on 2nd October, operating on thursdays and sunday, dep SOF at 1305, arr MAN 1445, departing at 1545, arr SOF 2110.

Mon, 20/06/2005
Hemus Air to enter low-cost market?

Bulgarian airline Hemus Air (formerly a state-owned airline, but now under private ownership) has reacted to Wizz Air’s announcement to launch routes from Budapest to the Bulgarian capital – Sofia, with a decision to launch low-cost services.

They are said to be considering flying from Sofia to Vienna, Stuttgart, Cologne-Bonn and Leipzig using a budget airline model.
Old July 19th, 2005, 05:41 AM   #67
Dulgeroff
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

I agree 3tmk. There has to be a holistic approach to the development of the country and not just a few specific regions. Nonetheless, the country has to have a nerve center, and as that Sofia is the perfect place, not only because of its political, demographic and industrial clout, but also because of its central Balkan geographic position. As far as the Varna and Burgas airports, Copenhagen airport authority got the tender to administer them for quite some time. I believe it was 35 years, correct me if I'm wrong, and they said they were going to invest hundreds of millions of euro, in order to make them in to mdern airports. Anyway, I think Varna is going to get a new terminal, while Burgas's will be renovated and expanded. It might be the other way around, but they say that the both terminals will be comparable in total area size to the phase 1 constructed terminal in Sofia. They want to expand capacities of both airports to over 3 million passengers per airport in anticipation of ever increasing Black Sea tourists. Not only that, but they plan on making these airports year round contenders, and not just seasonal (summer) players. As far as Plovdiv's airport is concerned, it is very small and outdated, but there is a plan to rehaul it into a major cargo airport serving central Bulgaria. Beyond airports, we have the tenders for the Burgas and Varna sea ports, which I think went through already with some investments by Bulgarian and W. European firms. The Japanese also gave some loans for some current expansion on one of the ports. They also tendered Russe's Danube port to a Bulgarian company. There are tons of new roadway projects, including the controversial Trakia highway project. And not to speak of a new highway to connect Serbia with Bulgaria. Also there are tons of new border check points. All in all, it's seems like development is happening in many important places throughout Bulgaria.
Dulgeroff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2005, 09:19 AM   #68
SkylineTurbo
|| PAKISTAN ZINDABAD ||

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommandant Mark
Bulgaria Air (FB) are to start a twice weekly service between SOF and MAN, starting on 2nd October, operating on thursdays and sunday, dep SOF at 1305, arr MAN 1445, departing at 1545, arr SOF 2110.

Mon, 20/06/2005
Hemus Air to enter low-cost market?

Bulgarian airline Hemus Air (formerly a state-owned airline, but now under private ownership) has reacted to Wizz Air’s announcement to launch routes from Budapest to the Bulgarian capital – Sofia, with a decision to launch low-cost services.

They are said to be considering flying from Sofia to Vienna, Stuttgart, Cologne-Bonn and Leipzig using a budget airline model.
Thanks for the news

Because the construction of this new terminal, will Sofia become the new air traffic hub for the Balkans (excluding Athens)?
SkylineTurbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 06:42 AM   #69
Dulgeroff
BANNED

The government is certainly hoping that Sofia can become a traffic hub of the Balkans. That's why they built the new air traffic control centre, which by the way is huge. Many people wondered why Sofia was to have such a large control centre, but the authorities said that they were working on a deal with the EU to become the air traffic controlers for SE Europe. Then the Italians said they wanted to control the traffic for anything south and east of northern Italy. The Bulgarian side countered saying their regional centre was completed, better positioned and interestingly enough, fitted with the latest in Italian air traffic control electronics. Go figure... The core theme of the plan is to attract more traffic to Sofia. As logic would have it, if you control the information, you have the power to apply it to your own advantage. Likewise if you control air traffic,,, well, you get the point. Ofcourse I think it's weird that one place should have central control over the traffic of an entire region which encompasses many different countries. So, to be honest, I'm not sure what rules and regulations or international agreements allow such a development if it were to ever occur. What ever it is, there seems to be potential for this airport and that's why many international companies are building hotels, business centers, logistics and cargo storage facilities, in the direct vicinity.
Dulgeroff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 02:11 PM   #70
mic of Orion
I come in peace \V/

Likes (Received): 48

Dulgeroff any news about Sofia airport? Photos?

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Religion leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to bigotry, bigotry leads to suffering!!!" Mic of Orion
mic of Orion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #71
3tmk
Rusty Robot

^I believe he's in China right now. Or maybe even North Korea :P
As for me, the airport ain't my thing, I'm much more interested in the bridge (we're supposed to have more info on it by the end of the year), and most of all, the Nuke plant. Which those damn hippies want to stop
3tmk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 02:52 AM   #72
mic of Orion
I come in peace \V/

^lol, I know about Nuke, I think Soviet one needs to close in year or so and New one suppose to built to replace Soviet crap, I think Soviet one is responsible for 60% of all Bulgarian electricity generation/needs. New one suppose to be Canadian lightweight Nuclear rector, suppose to be very safe and cheep in comparison to other alternatives...

Price tag for such reactor still a'int cheep, I think in region of 2.5-3 billion US$. About bridge, it is cool bridge, I assume it is mix use, rail and road?

Cool about Dulgeroff, lol, North Korea of all places, what a heck is he doing there anyways?. lol..

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Religion leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to bigotry, bigotry leads to suffering!!!" Mic of Orion
Old October 12th, 2005, 03:08 AM   #73
Kommandant Mark
BANNED

I gotta an update about the "Danube 2" bridge, an article I read in Belgrade daily newspaper "Blic" while I was in Serbia few weeks ago...

Sorry Bulgarian friends...apparently, there was some sort of semi-secret competition for EU funds between the Southeast Europe/WesternBalkans countries - Serbia & Montenegro on one side and Bulgaria/Romania on the other.

Serbia won, which means EU has placed our infrastructure projects on its top priority list...mainly because roadways and riverways between Western Europe and Greece/Turkey/Middle East are more suitable (shorter, better developed) if going through Serbia than Romania & Bulgaria.

Basically, Serbia's Corridor X beat Bulgaria/Romania's Corridor IV...new bridge over Danube would have been part of that corridor.

This all means that, unless Bulgaria & Romania can come up with the funds for the new bridge on their own, they will have to have some patience.
Old October 12th, 2005, 07:08 PM   #74
3tmk
Rusty Robot

Yeah I read about that, but it was basically to scare off the govts that have been too slow to get anything done, since the money is there and ready.
The bridge will be both for road and rail to be more profitable,
And they don't want to use Serbia since it's worse for them, since Serbia isn't going to enter the EU at least within the next 7 years.
But for the corridors the 8th is also really important because basically it's a pipeline to connect the Caucasian oil to Italy via the balkans, bypassing the Bosphorus and Turkey
Old October 12th, 2005, 07:09 PM   #75
3tmk
Rusty Robot

Bulgaria Okays Danube Bridge 2 Loan Scheme

Business: 12 October 2005, Wednesday.

Bulgaria has ratified the funding contracts for its second bridge over the Danube River, linking the country with Romania.

The scheme includes loans totalling EUR 88 M, and gratuitous assistance of up to EUR 7.5.

The largest portion, EUR 70 M, will be lent by the European Investment Bank.

Germany's KfW will lend another EUR 18 M, and in addition grant up to EUR 2 M.

Agence France de Development will make a grant of EUR 5.5.

Danube Bridge 2 should be ready by the end of 2008, connecting the Bulgarian town of Vidin, in the northwest of the country, and the Romanian town of Kalafat.

Romania and Bulgaria signed the agreement for the project in March 2000, but the lack of funding hampered the realization.
Old October 13th, 2005, 06:26 AM   #76
XAPAKTEPHИK
СМЕРТЬ

Likes (Received): 22

On that transportation map - Hungary seems to be the Winner.
XAPAKTEPHИK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 08:32 PM   #77
3tmk
Rusty Robot

m'kay, here ya go:
http://www.sofia-air********/Dev_Rec_bg.htm
Състояние на обекта към дата: 12.2005г.
[img]http://www.sofia-air********/images/new2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.sofia-air********/images/new3.jpg[/img]
As usual with Bulgaria, delays and even more delays, it won't be ready until summer 2006. The Terminal is good, but they had problems with the landing strip
Old December 17th, 2005, 11:04 PM   #78
mic of Orion
I come in peace \V/

very nice

I guess I can see apron and main finger looks very nice,

installation of sky bridges is next phase than exterior decoration, interior ....

excellent pics Phil...

Last edited by mic of Orion; December 18th, 2005 at 02:00 PM.
Old December 18th, 2005, 11:15 AM   #79
Sheratonmngr
BANNED

Any Bulgarian airlines flying to New York or Toronto soon?
NIce airport bratko
Sheratonmngr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 05:47 PM   #80
new bulgaria

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheratonmngr
Any Bulgarian airlines flying to New York or Toronto soon?
NIce airport bratko
Not in the near future. It's not cost effective, but you can fly with any of the major European airlines. There are hundreds of possibilities. I just flew from NYC to Sofia and back with Lufthansa for less than $700, which is very reasonable. I don't think I ever paid more than $700 round trip in the last 5 years. Don't forget that the price of oil skyrocketed.
new bulgaria no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
airport, bulgaria, sofia, terminal