daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Pengangkutan

Pengangkutan aviation, automotive, rail and urban transportation

Old March 18th, 2006, 06:08 AM   #1
TYW
Penang Skyscrapers Hunter

Likes (Received): 16

Melaka LRT

Melaka To Apply For LRT Service

KUALA LUMPUR, March 17 (Bernama) -- The Melaka government will apply for a Light Rail Transport (LRT) service to be introduced in Melaka and financed through the recently set up Public Transport Trust Fund, Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Ali Rustam said.

He said the state also hoped the Express Rail Link (ERL) service which would link the KL International Airport and Seremban under the Ninth Malaysia Plan (9MP) could be extended to Melaka.

Ali said the LRT service was needed in Melaka in view of the increased tourist arrivals there.

"Last year 4.6 million tourists visited the state compared to 4 million in 2004 and this year we expect the arrivals to exceed 5 million, " he said during a visit to Bernama headquarters here Friday.

He also hoped that the dual track commuter train service operated by KTM Berhad, which now ended in Seremban, could be extended to Melaka as well.

Ali said fast rail services to Melaka were seen as the transport mode of the future to reduce congestion on the highways and also for onward linkage to Muar, Batu Pahat and Johor Baharu.

"If before, a car journey from Kuala Lumpur to Melaka only took an hour and a half, now it takes two hours or more because of heavy traffic," he said.

Ali said the state would also apply for allocations under the fund to replace old bus stations in the small towns in the state like Jasin, Merlimau, Alor Gajah and Masjid Tanah.

On another matter, Ali, who is also the president of the 4B Youth movement, said 12 volunteers from the organisation would leave for Pakistan tomorrow to help survivors of last October's earthquake there.

The mission, which will be headed by 4B vice president Hashim Suboh, will spend seven days there and visit Islamabad, Balakot, Battagram, Muzafarabat and Murre, the worst-hit areas.

The group will return home on March 24.

-- BERNAMA

"the said Municipality of George Town shall on the First Day of January in the Year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and fifty seven and forever thereafter be a city and shall be called and styled the CITY OF GEORGE TOWN instead of the Municipality of George Town and shall thenceforth have all such rank, liberties, privileges and immunities as are incident to a city." - Queen Elizabeth II
TYW no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 18th, 2006, 06:49 AM   #2
aen

Likes (Received): 0

is lrt crucially needed in melaka ? even if it's true, i think it still needs to queue up behind penang and jb
aen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 06:59 AM   #3
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1054

I dun think Melaka needs one. Of the so many times I've been to Melaka, only once I've stuck in a jam

I think Melaka could do with a small monorail system for now
Old March 18th, 2006, 07:03 AM   #4
musang
abed

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYW
[size=5]
He said the state also hoped the Express Rail Link (ERL) service which would link the KL International Airport and Seremban under the Ninth Malaysia Plan (9MP) could be extended to Melaka.
this is gud news, ERL to Seremban and perhaps later on onwards to JB...
musang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 07:05 AM   #5
musang
abed

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by szehoong
I dun think Melaka needs one. Of the so many times I've been to Melaka, only once I've stuck in a jam

i think they shud have the electrified version of the kereta lembu with its own lane.. hmm, very attractive.
musang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 08:02 AM   #6
TYW
Penang Skyscrapers Hunter

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by musang
i think they shud have the electrified version of the kereta lembu with its own lane.. hmm, very attractive.
wah!! sounds much more interesting than LRT

so, the lembu will be electrocuted??

"the said Municipality of George Town shall on the First Day of January in the Year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and fifty seven and forever thereafter be a city and shall be called and styled the CITY OF GEORGE TOWN instead of the Municipality of George Town and shall thenceforth have all such rank, liberties, privileges and immunities as are incident to a city." - Queen Elizabeth II
TYW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 08:24 AM   #7
aen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYW
wah!! sounds much more interesting than LRT

so, the lembu will be electrocuted??
so what melaka actually asking for is LRT = Lembu Rapid Transit
aen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 08:29 AM   #8
White_soX

Melaka don't need one. Heck who come with such stupid thing. They need to improve "luar bandar" first and villages which can compare with stone age. LRT can come in a hundred year from now. The only bz point in Melaka is around Mahkota Parade and the road from Ayer Keroh toll to way down Jusco, what ever the place call. More recreation(they need swimming pool for swimming club so don't have to share with public pool) for puublic and well plan city arrangement.

Melaka is beautiful, more investment on modernizing will be appreciated by Melaccan.
White_soX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 08:35 AM   #9
Adam Tan

KTM commuter from seremban link to melaka still acceptable, LRT? i dun think so....
Actually i dislike the melaka current Chief Minister
Adam Tan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 08:37 AM   #10
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally Posted by aen
so what melaka actually asking for is LRT = Lembu Rapid Transit

Wah that's a good one!

We have electric lembus zipping here and there
Old March 18th, 2006, 08:40 AM   #11
White_soX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tan
KTM commuter from seremban link to melaka still acceptable, LRT? i dun think so....
Actually i dislike the melaka current Chief Minister
Actually we talking about LRT around Melaka City sir, but KTM extended to Melaka is a great idea, but doubt will have many passenger.The market is there but not really high yet right now.

If LRT approve in Melaka, then it will be a long LRT, cuz Melaka point of interest away from each other, then more track miles will add, then $$$$ will be more to need. Just inprove the current road and BUS will make a perfect sense to connect places

Last edited by White_soX; March 18th, 2006 at 08:51 AM.
Old March 18th, 2006, 08:50 AM   #12
Adam Tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_soX
Actually we talking about LRT around Melaka City sir, but KTM extended to Melaka is a great idea, but doubt will have many passenger.The market is there but now really high yet right now.

If LRT approve in Melaka, then it will be a long LRT, cuz Melaka point of interest away from each other, then more track miles will add, then $$$$ will be more to need. Just inprove the current road and BUS will make a perfect sense to connect places
ya, i agree with u.
now stills not the suitable time apply LRT in melaka
Adam Tan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 04:59 AM   #13
Subangite

Quote:

I think a tram system would suit melaka more..
Old March 20th, 2006, 07:28 AM   #14
mrtfreak

Likes (Received): 40

Er... Would Melaka really want a system on their waterfront that would spoil the old historic look of the city? I think a tram system sounds good. Electric kereta lembu, now that's funny! The "lembu" in front could be made of fibreglass?
Komuter yes, LRT, not necessary...

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction

Search Google Translate for "Death" in Czech. :lol:
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 08:06 AM   #15
Subangite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtfreak
Er... Would Melaka really want a system on their waterfront that would spoil the old historic look of the city? I think a tram system sounds good. Electric kereta lembu, now that's funny! The "lembu" in front could be made of fibreglass?
Komuter yes, LRT, not necessary...
Exactly, for such an old, arguably the oldest and most historic Malaysian city, it needs to preserve its touristic charm. It doesn't need to emulate techno-futureland KL, it doesn't match the hustle and bustle of the other major towns like JB or Penang. Perhaps a slower pace, less expensive system should be in use.

By the way do Malaysian public planners ever envisage the usage of trams for public transport? It seems like LRT's and especially Monorails are all the rage, but what about other options? It seems like a neglect of the other froms of transit systems to me, what about a trolley bus system?? Trolleybuses are in use in very small cities like Wellington (NZ), Sarajevo (BiH), Innsbruck (A), which could be easily replicated in similar sized Melaka and they have been integrated with other forms of mass transit systems in much larger cities like Beijing (CN), Vancouver (Canada), San Francisco (US), Mexico City (MX).

Personally I'd prefer to see a tram system like this;

than a trolley bus system like these;

So whatever happened to all the talk that KL will implement a tram system?

KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 28 (Bernama) -- Tram service will be introduced in suitable streets in Kuala Lumpur to ease traffic congestion, Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor said Thursday.

He said Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) would introduce the tram service to complement the existing transport service in the city.

He also said DBKL was studying ways of integrating the bus, monorail, LRT and commuter train services to ensure optimum use.

Speaking at his first post Cabinet meeting press conference, the newly appointed minister said tram service would be introduced in parts of the city which were not served by public transport.

He said the DBKL study on the tram service was based on the tram service found in cities overseas. -- BERNAMA

Last edited by Subangite; March 20th, 2006 at 08:12 AM.
Subangite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 05:50 PM   #16
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

The reason why I suggested monorail is because a single rail is definitely much cleaner-looking than those of trams and trolley buses which have lotsa wires overhead. Monorail tracks could be small and thin esp those by Metrail where the trains are self-powered.

Having visited Vancouver and Melbourne, I personally find those overhead wires obstructive Perhaps if the trams could integrate a third electrified rail which are done in certain European countries but I am not too sure how efficient are they and what are the dangers it posed esp in these humid and wet climate of ours

Oh and one more thing.......trolley buses and trams occupy the same road as cars, taxis and buses so it creates more congestion. Some Malaysian cities esp KL, Penang and Melaka need alternative routes be it underground or elevated as roads here are small and density is high. Furthermore many European and Australasia cities do not have those notorious motorbikes, trishaws and the amount of cars to dealth with
Old March 21st, 2006, 03:15 AM   #17
White_soX

Tram system can be a lil'bit problem cause it use road. How about if they accidentaly stop on tram rail at traffic light like me yesterday at Houston Downtown

Dang, the tram nearly hit me so I run the red light, next thing I got warning from officer
Old March 21st, 2006, 05:02 AM   #18
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Thanks White_Sox for pointing that out.

Yea....imagine.....he's at Houston which I believe that there are lesser vehicles on the road. We have tons of motorbikes from Jaguh to kapchais as well as buses, lorries and sometimes tractors

I wouldn't wanna share the road with another mode of transportation

Oh.......and look at those wires!

And now I am ready to face the wrath of tram & trolley bus lovers
Old March 21st, 2006, 06:13 AM   #19
White_soX

Quote:
Thanks White_Sox for pointing that out.

Yea....imagine.....he's at Houston which I believe that there are lesser vehicles on the road. We have tons of motorbikes from Jaguh to kapchais as well as buses, lorries and sometimes tractors

I wouldn't wanna share the road with another mode of transportation

Oh.......and look at those wires!

And now I am ready to face the wrath of tram & trolley bus lovers
Yes agree, Malaysia has lots of motor , Malaysia should just stick with the current system, road and railway seperated, we got lots of space to fill up.
Old March 21st, 2006, 06:51 AM   #20
Magician
Hellexpress

Likes (Received): 97

Honestly... when I read the news... I nearly wanted to LAUGH...

Melaka needs LRT? Then I guess Penang and Johor need MRT then...