daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Social Places and Forum Issues > Sports Center

Sports Center News, photos and discussions of sports events in the Philippines and around the world.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:47 AM   #1
Maxxclip
Maximus Expelliarmus

Likes (Received): 5

FOOTBALL Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sou-jiro View Post
i second this motion,..is it possible mods ?
nasa moderators ang awa(kung i-dedelete nila o hindi ang thred mo)... nasa iyo ang gawa (kung uumpisahan mong gumawa ng thread tungkol sa football

UST XI returns to finals

MANILA, Philippines - University of Santo Tomas, as expected, made it to the men’s finals of the University Athletic Association of the Philippines football event in 73rd season by blanking Ateneo de Manila University, 5-0, yesterday at the Erenchun field inside the Ateneo campus.

UST freshman Fidel Kue hit a goal in the 25th minute off an assist by Ojay Clariño to start the onslaught and the Tigers were never been stopped from thereon on the way to a 6-2-2 win-loss draw for 20 points – enough to hold the second place.

Other players who made a goal for UST were Ronald Bautista (40th), OJ Clariño (55th), David Basa (76th), and John Caballero (83rd).

Rookie Jinggoy Valmayor scored two goals as University of the Philippines posted a 2-0 victory against De La Salle University. UP collected 28 points on a 9-1-0 slate.

The UP-UST championship will be played on Sunday, where the Fighting Maroons are armed with a twice-to-beat advantage. They need to win only once to regain the crown it last won in 2009.

The Green Archers finished third with a 4-4-2 mark for 16 points.

UST gained the twice-to-beat bonus in the women’s finals by beating Far Eastern University, 2-1.
Maxxclip no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:59 PM   #2
Maxxclip
Maximus Expelliarmus

Azkals training moved to Brent School

BAGUIO CITY. – Problems with the pitch at the Benguet State University has forced German coach Hans Michael Weiss to transfer the training of the Philippine Azkals to the Brent School International here.

"We had difficult conditions (at the BSU field.) The pitch was a little bit bumpy but we did control the ball and the boys made the best out of it," said Weiss, who is overseeing the Azkals’ training in preparation for the return match of their Asian Football Confederation Challenge Cup series against Mongolia on March 16 in Ulan Bator.

The Azkals trounced the Mongolians 2-0 in Bacolod City last Feb. 9 and are here for high altitude training. The weather here is also intended to prepare the players for snowy conditions in Mongolia for the return match.

The BSU field was readied for Tuesday’s practice but Weiss instead brought the team to the Brent School grounds, saying it is nearer their hotel. Weiss said the travel time from their hotel to the BSU, nearly 45 minutes, is too long.

"Slowly but surely we are adopting to the cold weather," said Weiss, whose charges were hounded by autograph-seekers before their training session.

Baguio’s Pinikpikan squad, composed of varsity players from colleges and universities in the city, will practice with the Azkals Wednesday at the BSU grounds. On Saturday, the Azkals battle Benguet Etag’s, their last match before heading off to Japan to resume their training.

Coach Frael Aquino, the adviser of the BSU Soccer Club, said watching the Azkals train has given him new insights on how to train his local teams.

"Mas refined sila sa drills nila. All this is something new for us," said Aquino.

"Physically we had a good session in our first practice," Weiss said.

Malaya
Old February 22nd, 2011, 11:59 PM   #3
Sky Harbor
Green + Maroon = Blue. :D

Likes (Received): 36

I weep for the Ateneo men's soccer team.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 12:27 AM   #4
Maxxclip
Maximus Expelliarmus

they need more practice
Old February 23rd, 2011, 01:40 AM   #5
Maxxclip
Maximus Expelliarmus

just recently...

PSC seeks Batang Pinoy revival

MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine Sports Commission will revive the Batang Pinoy program to further strengthen the country’s grassroots development program, particularly in football, now enjoying tremendous popularity following the Azkals’ recent surge.

“Batang Pinoy is a go,” said PSC chair Richie Garcia referring to the multi-sports meet for students and out-of-school youths aged 12 years old and below that was shelved almost a decade ago due to lack of funds.

Garcia, however, refused to disclose where and when the event, held to discover young talents from far-flung areas, would be staged.

Garcia has earlier said he will bat for the strengthening of youth-based programs particularly in football, a sports thanks to the Azkals triumphs in the AFC Challenge Cup and the Suzuki Cup.

We really have to strengthen the grassroots base to sustain football’s popularity,” said Garcia, referring to the Azkals’ surprise semifinal finish in the AFC Suzuki Cup last year and its victory in the opener of their Asian Football Confederation Challenge Cup qualifier recently.

With the PSC set to get more from the Pagcor share starting this year, the government sports funding agency will now be able to bankroll the Batang Pinoy program.

Pagcor chair and CEO Cristino Naguiat Jr. said last week the PSC stands to gain 10 percent more than the P519 million it received from last year based on the state gaming firm’s projections this year.

That means the PSC would get over P50 million more to fund athletes’ training and international exposures as well as providing them the needed nutrition, equipment and facility to train well for events like the Southeast Asian Games, Asian Games and even the Olympics.

The annual remittance to the PSC is part of the share of five-percent net income by Pagcor under Republic Act 6847, which created the PSC.

PhilStar

Last edited by Maxxclip; February 23rd, 2011 at 01:45 AM.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 05:45 AM   #6
Maxxclip
Maximus Expelliarmus

De Jong secures berth in Indonesian league

MANILA---Filipino-Dutch midfield ace Jason De Jong completed his move to Indonesian club Persiba Balikpapan Tuesday, becoming the first Filipino player to join the Indonesian Super League.

The 20-year-old De Jong, whose contract with Dutch second division side Veendam was terminated last month, confirmed his signing with the club based in Borneo, Indonesia, in a message to the Inquirer yesterday.

Indonesian squads started taking notice of De Jong during the AFF Suzuki Cup, where the Azkals reached the semifinals, eventually losing to Indonesia.

De Jong, who started his career with Gloria UC before moving to NAC Breda and eventually landing at KV Turnhout in the Belgian second division, had trained with another ISL club, Sriwijaya FC, but was unable to sign with the squad because of contract issues.

De Jong’s move to the Indonesian club will not prevent him from suiting up with the Azkals, who are undergoing high-altitude training in Baguio City.

Although some of the members of the national team are tied up with European clubs, it marks the first time in eight years that a Filipino player signed with a Southeast Asian squad.

Former national team striker Freddie Gonzalez joined East Asia Commercial Bank in the Vietnam League in 2003 on the heels of his impressive stint in the Tiger Cup.

Azkals team manager Dan Palami welcomed De Jong’s move to the Indonesian club.

Meanwhile, Palami said Filipino-Danish recruits Jerry Lucena and Dennis Cagara have been granted Philippine passports.

“The Philippine government through the Department of Foreign Affairs and have determined that they are eligible by virtue of their lineage since their fathers were Filipino citizens at the time of their birth,” Palami said.

inq

Last edited by Maxxclip; February 23rd, 2011 at 05:56 AM.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 05:54 AM   #7
Maxxclip
Maximus Expelliarmus

Azkals happy with Benguet footballers

BAGUIO CITY -- Aly Borromeo, team captain of the Philippines' "Azkals" football team on Monday described the Benguet Province football team as "good in the sport."

The two teams had friendly games at the football field of the Benguet State University during the first day of the national team's cool climate acclimatization practice.

Borromeo also described the weather as pleasant and was happy with the warm reception given by local officials and their local fans.

Football used to be among the favorite sports of the natives here -- having been exposed to the European and Americans during the colonization period in the Philippines.

The nationals are also set to play against the Baguio football team at the Baguio football field within the Burnham Park area Wednesday afternoon.

Old February 23rd, 2011, 06:52 AM   #8
Maxxclip
Maximus Expelliarmus

Know your Azkals: The Araneta Affair

“Di nga ako nakatulog kagabi," Ian Araneta says and shakes his head.

It’s the day after the Azkals' bout against Mongolia. He missed all his goal attempts; one almost went in but bounced back on the crossbar.

“Nung Indonesia, poste din. Akala ko kahapon mapuputol na yung malas. Baka sa Mongolia maka-chamba. Malamang di na naman ako makatulog nito mamaya," he adds.

The 28-year-old has gone a long way from his humble beginnings in Barotac Nuevo, Iloilo. He’s one of the “local Azkals," as people put it. The eldest of four kids, Ian was born to a teacher and a retired soldier. His dad also used to play football.

“Siguro nasa dugo ko na talaga yung football. Tsaka kinukulit din ako ng daddy ko dati. Nung nasimulan ko na, masaya pala. Gusto mo na yung ginagawa mo, wala pang pressure," he says.

Ian got hooked on the sport when he was already in fourth grade, a bit late compared to his teammates. His natural skill compensates for lost time, though. He’s already been with Air Force Riders for ten years. He’s also played for the country’s U-16, U-19, and U-21 squads.

“Nananaginip ng gising"

“Di pa rin ako makapaniwala na nasa FIFA website kami, tapos tinalo namin yung Vietnam. Eh dati di naman kami pinapansin," he says.

When the Azkals played against Indonesia in the Suzuki Cup, they experienced what it was like to really be underdogs.

“Sa Indonesia, hinahampas yung bus namin. Yung mga fans nagdi-dirty finger sa amin. Yung iba nga binabato pa kami ng water bottles," he shares.

This is exactly the opposite of the warm welcome they received in Bacolod during the AFC Challenge Cup. Fans hounded them wherever they went; some went as far as stalking. Winning against Mongolia that day wasn’t the only achievement for Ian; meeting the President was, too.

“Sobrang saya talaga. Para akong nananaginip ng gising," he says.

Foreigners stealing the scene?

Although he’s one of the full-blooded Filipinos, he doesn’t have anything against the half-foreigners – even if that means less exposure for him.

“Di kasi nila naiintindihan na kaya naman kumukuha ng foreigners para din sa ikabubuti ng team. Iba yung turo sa kanila abroad. Nung first time dumating nung recruits, sobrang mas aggressive sila, mas magaling. Pero balanced na ngayon yung team," he explains.

Ian is even roommates with Fil-British Phil Younghusband. The forwards have been partners since the 2005 Southeast Asian Games. Ian says they both like staying up late (and it’s become a habit to sleep with the TV turned on). If not watching TV, they talk about football and share their frustrations on why Filipinos never grew fond of the sport. Ian and Phil with his Brit-accent would make for an interesting show.

“Dati, dumudugo ilong ko, pero ngayon tina-Tagalog ko na lang yon. Marunong na siya!" he laughs.

Araneta family affair

While Ian took up football after his dad, it also trickles down to the rest of his family. In fact, his youngest sister Alina plays in the U-16 and U-19 teams.

Among the Azkals, Chieffy Caligdong is Ian’s third cousin, while Yanti Barsales is his uncle.

“Si Yanti tito ko. Bata pa ko pinapanood ko na yan," he jokes.

Even in Air Force, he has cousins Harold and Herbert Bayona to keep him company.

“Pag game, nagkakasigawan kami minsan, kasi frustrated o galit ka. Sa football, di pwedeng tahimik ka eh. Pero masaya kasi parang family reunion lang lagi," Ian says.

His wife Lacey, a fellow Ilonggo, doesn’t really play football, but she’s always at the stands to cheer him on. As Ian said, football runs in the Araneta blood. His four-year-old son Sam is already starting out in the sport.

“Sumisipa na din siya. Ilang taon pa, makakasama ko na din yan!" the proud dad ends.

To paraphrase the old adage: “The family that plays together, stays together." Okay, besides that, maybe Ian’s family is quite special because they play and win games for all of us.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 06:56 AM   #9
Maxxclip
Maximus Expelliarmus

Know your Azkals: 'Bad boy' De Jong

“To be honest, I think we are overrated," Fil-Dutch Jason De Jong says smugly.

While the entire Philippine archipelago was celebrating the Azkals’ win against Mongolia last week, Jason now says he fully expected it.

“Mongolia has a lower standing. I’m happy we won, but it’s really nothing. We should celebrate if we beat countries ranked higher than us," he adds.

This assertive attitude coupled with intimidating looks has earned Jason the rep of "Bad Boy" among the Azkals. And it’s not just a reputation — he lives up to it when he does the dirt on defense.

“I am very physical. I play defense, and I like to tackle and go hard," he says.

It’s pretty hard to imagine six-year-old Jason playing that intensely when he started out with a local football club in the Netherlands. Since then, he’s played in different teams such as Belgium Turnhout and NAC Breda, a premier league club in Holland. Thank God for the Internet, the Philippine Football Federation discovered his Filipino lineage and put him in the Azkals team.

Like his teammates, the peak of his international career was beating Vietnam 2-0 in their hometown. He was in such high spirits that he even kissed Phil Younghusband.

“You saw that?!" he asks. Apparently, he hasn’t seen the animated photos (GIFs) of him kissing Phil posted all over the Internet.

“Yeah, I asked Phil for a kiss," he laughs. “I was so happy. After his goal, I knew we’d win. I knew we’d qualify for the semis."

Mind you, Jason has been well-behaved during his entire stint as an Azkal. He’s never been handed a red card. He’s only been suspended once, and that was due to two yellow cards in Laos. But he has gotten into fights with other players because of how he plays.

“As I said, I like playing physical, and I sometimes get into fights if the other player can’t take it. But if you can’t handle a tackle, then I say you’re in the wrong sport," he says as a matter of fact.

Yup. There goes the bluntness again.

Inked

Football is Jason’s first love; his second would probably be tattoos. He has tattoos on his back and on both arms. His left arm has images of everything important to him — religious symbols, the Philippine map, and his younger brother’s name. On his right forearm, there’s a text that reads “Habang Buhay Sama Tayo."

“I know the grammar’s wrong, but I like how the words look together. It’s for my bunso, my dad and me. My mom left us, so it’s just the three of us now. It’s our bond forever," he says while looking at his newly inked left arm. “It’s like they’re always with me when I play, to take care of me and protect me."
He got these tattoos to show another side of himself, as people often see just the snobbish Jason. He even calls his younger brother “bunso." Aww.

Almost legal

Jason is celebrating his 21st birthday on February 28. It’s kind of bittersweet because he’s spending it away from family for the first time.

“It’s a special birthday because 21 means I’m fully grown up. I’m already legal in Holland, but this time I’m gonna be legal everywhere. I’m gonna go to Vegas and actually do things," he kids.

Vegas, you have been warned.

“I guess I don’t do anything not related to football"

Jason can’t help but be noticed whenever he goes out now — the foreign looks are already a giveaway. But he’d pick a private life any day. Last Valentine's Day, he was home alone, playing FIFA 11 and watching football.

“I guess I don’t do anything not related to football," he realizes. But then he thinks again and remembers the one non-football-related thing he loves — the TV show “The Inbetweeners."

“Coach Simon used to live with us here. One night he said, ‘Come here, De Jong! I have something to show you from my hometown.’ It was so funny. We stayed up all night watching it together," he recalls.

See? Jason actually has a “fluffy" side, so don’t be intimidated by him.

“I’m only serious when we have a game. I hope the fans understand that we have to focus. But if it’s not game day, I can smile. Look, I’m smiling now!" he says, and flashes a big smile. De Jong with a smile and De Jong with his game face on could honestly pass for two different people.

In any case, the tough-guy image is here to stay. We’re going to want that anyway, especially when they beat the hell out of Mongolia next month.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 07:00 AM   #10
Maxxclip
Maximus Expelliarmus

Know your Azkals: Neil Etheridge is in love

A lot of people love Neil Etheridge. The built, the face, the brawn, the athleticism – what’s not to like? Since it’s Valentine’s Day, let’s flip the coin and find out what Neil loves.

Neil loves football

Obviously. Neil has been playing football since he started walking. Born in Anfield, he has played for England’s U-16 team. He started out in Chelsea Academy before getting scouted. At 15, he moved to Fulham where he was recently elevated to the first team. As prestigious as it is to play in the English Premier League, Neil says it’s also a wonderful if different experience playing for the Azkals.

“First of all, the style is very different – the heat, the knowledge, the media. Plus when I’m playing with the Azkals, you have the attention of the whole country. And I get to start every game," he says.

And is there anything he doesn’t like about football?

“I never regret anything. But if I have a worst experience, it would have to be that first goal in Indonesia. I let that one go in. You just have to learn from it and move on."

Neil loves his teammates

You’ve probably heard of the bromance going on between him and Simon Greatwich, but Neil’s actually close friends with all the Azkals. He’s even got his own cast of “Entourage" in the team – he’s Vince, Simon is E, Jason Sabio is Drama, while the role of Turtle is still up for grabs.

Okay, so maybe he’s a teeny bit closer to Simon since they roomed together in Cambodia and in Bacolod.

“Their room is a garbage bin!" teammate Rob Gier shares. The rest of the team agree.

Oh and Simon is now his unofficial manager. So if you want Neil for anything, suck up to Simon.

Neil loves shopping

Unlike majority of men who dread shopping, Neil claims that he is a “massive shopper." Just before he left for the UK, he even went on a shopping spree at Nike.

“My style is very simple. I like fitted shirts. And I always wear black or white," he says.

He loves fashion so much that he can’t pinpoint a single clothing item he can’t live without. Rob suggests gloves, while Simon says Neil doesn’t have one because he likes being naked. After much thought and other “helpful" ideas from the team, Neil says it’s black shirts.

“I have about six black shirts. They’re my favorites. And I also can’t live without my watch," he says.

Neil loves his fans

His supporters are among the craziest ones so far. In Bacolod, fans climbed balconies just to see him in his room. As creepy as it sounds, Neil doesn’t mind.

“The attention is just great. It makes us feel very welcome," he says.

And this isn’t just some showbiz answer. Neil says that among the places he’s been to, his favorite would have to be Manila.

“I seriously love Manila. It has this friendly atmosphere. There are so many things to do and it’s very affordable," he adds.

Neil loves Twitter

If you’re not yet following @Neil38Etheridge, why not?

Neil got Twitter after much prodding from the Greatwiches (and the fans actually). He immediately got thousands of followers, most of which are female Azkal fans. Although he wasn’t very keen on it at first, he’s fallen in love with it so much that he even bought a laptop so he can reply to the fans’ tweets faster!

Neil loves girls

Right now, hundreds of girls claim to be the future Mrs. Etheridge. But if you want to be the one, then listen up.

“What catches my eye is all the things other guys want. But to get a second date, you have to be interesting. Not laying all your cards at once, not too superficial – just be yourself. It’s basically me enjoying myself with you," he says.

Would he date a fan? Yes. Would he date someone who wasn’t into football? Surprisingly, it’s another yes.

He says the sweetest thing he’s ever done for a girl is taking her out on a river cruise, with matching candlelit dinner on the boat. (Rob reacts again and says, “Don’t believe him! He’s just seen that in a movie!")

Valentine’s Day is almost here so it was necessary to ask him about his plans. He’s spending it with his first love – football – as Fulham has a match against Chelsea. After that, he’s probably having dinner out with his family.

So what exactly is his status?

“I’m single. Single but always dating," he ends with a smile.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 07:52 AM   #11
eonynx
BÄNNËD

Location: iloilo City: where old charm meets renewed vibrancy; malate; paranaque; quezon city
Likes (Received): 2532

everybody indeed loves a victor or, in this case, victors. after the breakthrough victory comes bits and pieces of fame and glamor.
eonynx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 12:32 PM   #12
Jeffreyw

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Harbor View Post
I weep for the Ateneo men's soccer team.
They need a good coach.

A practice is useless, unless it is done right.
Jeffreyw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 01:07 PM   #13
Jeffreyw

Azkals related sites:

www.azkals.com

Facebook Fanpage
Old February 23rd, 2011, 04:17 PM   #14
David-80
Le Nozze di Figaro...

De jong first training with Persiba Balikpapan, he will wear no 23, the first Filipino player signed with south east asia pro league club

cheers
Old February 23rd, 2011, 10:28 PM   #15
Maxxclip
Maximus Expelliarmus

more pictures of him

Old February 24th, 2011, 02:14 AM   #16
Jeffreyw

Jason De Jong profile
Old February 25th, 2011, 12:31 AM   #17
Maxxclip
Maximus Expelliarmus

4 key Azkals may not play

BAGUIO CITY—The prospect of playing the second leg of its AFC Challenge Cup qualifying match against Mongolia minus several key players isn’t putting a dent on the Philippine football team’s confidence.

Goalkeeper Neil Etheridge, defender Rob Gier and midfielders Simon and Chris Greatwich may not be available for the Azkals in the second leg in Ulan Bator, but skipper Aly Borromeo expressed optimism that the squad will still be up to the challenge.

Filipino-Dutch midfielder Jason de Jong will arrive late for the crucial March 15 match since his new club, Persiba Balikpapan, will be playing an Indonesian Super League game two days before the match.

“The ones who are not available I cannot count on them as much as I might regret it,” said the Azkals’ German coach Hans Michael Weiss. “The ones who are here will do the job. We just need to make a few adjustments, especially with the goalkeeper.”

If Etheridge cannot make it, 30-year-old Army keeper Eduard Sacapano would make a
rare start for the Azkals.

“It’s quite hard because we still don’t know the composition of the team that’s actually going to Mongolia,” Borromeo told the Inquirer shortly after the team’s training at Brent School grounds here.

“We don’t know if the other guys can make it. We’re just working on what we have, and I think the local guys can handle Mongolia.”

If the Azkals hurdle Mongolia, they will advance to the group stage qualifying in Myanmar against the host country,
Palestine and Bangladesh from March 20 to 31.

Borromeo stressed the importance of identifying a regular starting group for the Mongolia match as soon as possible.

The Azkals overpowered a Baguio selection, 9-1, Wednesday in their first tuneup match since beating Mongolia, 2-0, in the first leg in Bacolod City two weeks ago.

inq
Old February 25th, 2011, 12:47 AM   #18
Maxxclip
Maximus Expelliarmus

this is 3 days ago...and according to sources

Dennis Cagara and Jerry Lucena have already received their Philippine passports and are eligible for call-ups

Old February 25th, 2011, 02:52 AM   #19
off_side

Likes (Received): 1

Phil predicts 5-0 win vs Mongolia
By FRANCIS SANTIAGOFebruary 24, 2011, 4:59pm

(TONY PIONILLA)BAGUIO CITY — If Mongolia plans to go on full tactical attack against the Philippine football team in their AFC Challenge Cup qualifying rematch on March 15, expect the Azkals to win in a breeze.

“If they (Mongolia) play more attacking because they need to score goals, then I think we can score 4-0 or 5-0 win,” said star striker Phil Younghusband, 23, told the Bulletin during a lull in the Azkals’ light training and football clinic with underprivileged children yesterday here at the Brent International School. “Their defense will open up, giving us more opportunities to score.”

The Blue Wolves lost to the Azkals, 2-0, in their first meeting in Bacolod City last month, and will need to be more aggressive in their home game in Ulan Bator to have the chance of turning the tide in their favor and advance to the group stage.

But it won’t be easy as they need to win by a margin of three goals.

In the event the Blue Wolves decide to be in defensive mode again, Younghusband is optimistic of mirroring their feat last time.

“Maybe 1, 2 or 3 to nil if we get lucky,” added Younghusband despite the fact that they will be missing the services of keeper Neil Etheridge, defender Robert Gier and Chris Greatwich.

Etheridge has a commitment to his club, Fulham in London.

It’s also uncertain if Jason de Jong, who was recently acquired by Persiba Balikpapan, a club in Indonesian Super League, can join the Azkals as he is currently training with the Indon team.

But team officials say De Jong will go to Ulan Bator for the match.

Despite missing some of his satyrs, Azkals coach Hans Michael Weis believes the remaining players can get the job done.

“The ones who are not available, I can’t count on them. As much as we regret it or find it pitiful, the ones who are here will do the job,” the German coach said. “It’s always like that in life. Sometimes we must make adjustments and sacrifices.”

Team manager Dan Palami, who arrived here Thursday, earlier said Eduardo Sacapano will be a suitable replacement for Etheridge in case the 6-foot-3 keeper will have to skip the game.

http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/306107...in-vs-mongolia
off_side no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 03:42 AM   #20
Maxxclip
Maximus Expelliarmus

attention football footie

Finally, nat’l booters to get own pitch

MANILA---The National football team’s dream to play in its own pitch will soon become a reality.

The Philippine Football Federation has come to terms with charismatic El Shaddai leader Bro. Mike Velarde, who is donating 1.5 hectares of his prime property in Parañaque for the construction of an artificial pitch that will serve as the Azkals’ official training ground.

PFF president Mariano “Nonong” Araneta said the memorandum of agreement for the donation of the lot has already been signed and will be sent to the International Football Federation (Fifa), which will then discuss the project in its meeting on Feb. 28.

If the Goal Project 2 for the Philippines is approved next week by Fifa, the pitch will be ready in six months, Araneta said.

Velarde’s donation comes as another boost for the PFF, which has drawn more corporate support following the Azkals’ impressive run to the semifinals of last year’s AFF Suzuki Cup.

Araneta said Velarde plans to donate three more hectares if the joint venture for the construction of the grandstand pushes through.

“This is a welcome development for us,” said Araneta, a former national player himself. “We are very thankful to Bro. Mike for his help to Philippine football. This will definitely help improve our national teams, which have been homeless for quite some time.”

inq

Tags
asia, australia, brazil, china, chinese taipei, fifa, football, futsal, indonesia, iran, iraq, japan, kuwait, kyrgyzstan, lebanon, malaysia, soccer, south korea, sports, tajikistan, thailand, uzbekistan, vietnam