daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Prairie Provinces

Old October 5th, 2005, 09:45 PM   #1
walli
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

CALGARY | The Bow | 247m| 59 fl | U/C

As most will know, EnCana has been floating an idea to build a 2M sqft complex in Calgary. Two towers, with the taller one in access of 60 floors [perhaps 800-900 feet]. Currently the tallest tower in Western Canada is PetroCanada's world headquarters at just over 700 feet.

If I caught last night's news report right, Calgary City Hall just gave EnCana approval to take down a hotel they own, which is adjacent to a couple of parking lots they had purchased. This paves the way for detailed design followed by construction - they are targeting 2006-2009 for building the thing.

Anyone have any insights on what this will look like? I believe the site, Centre and 7th Ave S, is not that far from PetroCan.

Post a rendition is you have one!
walli no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 5th, 2005, 11:46 PM   #2
Boris550
NIMBY Eater

Likes (Received): 6

1) Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, has any idea what this thing will look like. Anything you have seen or any estimates made by the community are just wild guesses so far.

2) All that's been said so far is that the York Hotel has been purchased by Encana. They might incorporate it into the podium for one of their towers. The whole point of the purchase was so that Encana could get past density restrictions. In fact I think a condition is that Encana can't demolish the York, because it is a historic building.
Old October 6th, 2005, 12:19 AM   #3
walli
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris550
2) All that's been said so far is that the York Hotel has been purchased by Encana. They might incorporate it into the podium for one of their towers. The whole point of the purchase was so that Encana could get past density restrictions. In fact I think a condition is that Encana can't demolish the York, because it is a historic building.
Ah yes - the York Hotel (for some reason I couldn't remember the name). I believe it was Tuesday's City Council meeting - EnCana gained approval to take down the York - so everything is now clear for the project to go ahead. This would have been a significant hurdle, as creating a large building would have been tough while incorporating a neglected building such as the York around its base.
Old October 6th, 2005, 12:31 AM   #4
Boris550
NIMBY Eater

Are you sure?

Read this article:
Quote:
Wed, October 5, 2005

EnCana looks to York Hotel for tall order

By MICHAEL PLATT, CALGARY SUN

The Calgary skyline is set for a major shakeup as a local oil giant is planning to build the city's tallest office tower.

Mayor Dave Bronconnier yesterday confirmed that EnCana Corp. is negotiating to buy the city-owned York Hotel and its 132 low-income rental rooms to erect what is being billed as Calgary's highest office tower, at 60-plus storeys.

"It's an exciting opportunity when you consider the east end of Calgary is in dire need of being cleaned up and revitalized," said Bronconnier.

The EnCana Tower -- plus a second, shorter tower -- is actually slated for a block north of the hotel, at 636 Centre St., but the need for parking lots and increased density make the 75-year-old York a tempting buy.

To build a million-sq.-ft. tower, EnCana needs to increase the maximum density allowed under city rules -- and density can be borrowed from the neighbouring York, as long as EnCana agrees never to build a tower on that site.

Bronconnier said he expects much of the historic and once-proud York will be restored and saved through the deal, which still has no public price-tag or timeline.

Those living in the York have re-cently complained about deteriorating conditions in the hotel, which sits on a corner revitalized in recent years by new restaurants and the Hyatt Hotel.

At least one alderman has expressed dismay over the loss of low-income housing, with Ald. Bob Hawkesworth telling city council that the move is in the wrong direction when it comes to affordable housing.

Last edited by Boris550; October 6th, 2005 at 12:44 AM.
Boris550 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 12:35 AM   #5
walli
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris550
Are you sure?

Read this article:
I hear ya' - but I'm certain that Global reported the request / approval was to take down the York. I'm not sure when your article is from, but I'm guessing it's a pinch old.

IF the York is left, I hope someone cleans it up.
Old October 6th, 2005, 12:39 AM   #6
Boris550
NIMBY Eater

That article was from either yesterday or the day before.

EDIT: Actually I just checked the Calgary Sun's site and that article was from TODAY.
Old October 6th, 2005, 02:03 AM   #7
Boris550
NIMBY Eater

I guess you are right. According to CFCN, the city is now being given 8 months to relocate residents of the York Hotel. Looks like they are gonna demolish it.

Quote:
City to buy new homes for York residents.

CFCN.ca

POSTED AT 5:21 PM Wednesday, October 5

We now know what is going to happen to people living in the York hotel.

The city is buying several apartment buildings to accommodate the low-income residents who now call the York home.

"There will be at least 130 units of additional housing purchased by the Calgary Housing company in order to replace 130 units that are at the York Hotel," says Ward 4 Alderman Bob Hawkesworth.

The city bought the York hotel in 1992 for use as low cost housing.

Energy giant Encana is planning to build an office tower on the site.

Calgary housing says it's now searching for about five apartment buildings to house York residents.

"We are going to work with each resident individually to develop and individual relocation plan based on what it is that they want to do," says Hawkesworth.

The city says it has eight months relocate the York hotel residents.
Here is a look at the site (thanks to marts1x from SSP):

Old October 6th, 2005, 02:56 AM   #8
josh white

Likes (Received): 0

There are definitely conflicting reports on whether the York will come down. One article says they could buy on the condition they do not build on the site, another says that it will be saved and or it is just being used to transfer dinsity to the main site, which is on the other side of 6th ave. Others say it is coming down.

I believe because they were proposing a tower bigger than the maximum density (likely something over 60 floors) would allow, the only way to achieve this density was to transfer denisity rights from a historical site to another. To do this they have to won the building. They obviously offered a bundle of money because it is the only way I could see the City even considering selling one of their most prized low income Property.

I certainly hope they are going to save the building and are going to make EnCana pay for thw relocation of the residents of the york.

From a building standpoint it almost certainly means we are getting an extremely tall tower, if they had to resort to transferring density. My guess is that this tower will be between 900 and 1000 ft tall.

OMG I can't wait to see what it looks like. I really wonder which architect was commissioned for this.
josh white no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 06:41 AM   #9
walli
BANNED

I was just talking to my sister who works for the City of Calgary - she mentioned that there was quite a bit of talk over the last while at work regarding finding places for the folks in the York.
Old October 6th, 2005, 07:43 PM   #10
walli
BANNED

Matthews Southwest and EnCana Join Forces to Develop 2 Million Square Foot Office Tower Complex in the Heart of Downtown Calgary

DALLAS, Oct. 6 /PRNewswire/ -- EnCana Corporation, the largest producer of
natural gas in North America, and the largest company in Canada faced a
dilemma when it came to headquartering their employees. Topping out at almost
3,200 people, a company of that size is challenged when facing space issues,
with the teams currently housed in several different locations in downtown
Calgary.
Enter Matthews Southwest, a Dallas based company best known for
development of corporate offices, institutions, and residential projects, as
well as the largest loft conversion project in the world: award winning South
Side on Lamar (conversion of over 1.1 million square feet). South Side on
Lamar has long been a model to those looking for strategic urban development
and integrated land use planning, and Matthews Southwest has become a name
synonymous with urban rejuvenation within the Dallas metroplex and in the
development community at large. These cutting edge innovators have
systematically built a real estate powerhouse, with a growing fan base in the
development arena for their take on the standard operating procedures and
practical protocol.
The fresh approach to development created by the Matthews Southwest team
has helped to create projects in the United States, Mexico, and Canada. By
working with the client, owners, tenants, architects, and client staff
members, Matthews Southwest creates an environment of active participation in
the process, which helps to ensure that all the common goals are established
and met. Their approach also ensures that the tenants' goals are
systematically met, as opposed the common practice of developing for the
developer, and also creates an ideal baseline below market rent for the tenant
or return cash on closing, due to the financial engineering based on tenant
needs, not the developer. It is a new business model developed by Matthews
Southwest that puts the tenant and the developer on the same team, creating a
win-win scenario not found in today's real estate development market.
Matthews Southwest leader, Jack Matthews, is a man described as both
"gutsy" and a "visionary" by the press, with a keen sense of large scale
projects and all they imply. Dallas Assistant City Manager Ryan Evans, when
asked about the South Side project, said of Jack, "It's one thing to redevelop
a 5,000 square foot building, but the Sears building has more than 1 million
square feet ... the size of a skyscraper." His vision has not stopped there,
and he has been the driving force for full scale change of an entire
community, as well as the way Dallas urban development is looked upon and
implemented. His most recent development project includes a 1 million square
foot office complex for Bell Canada in Toronto, and the latest offering in
Calgary for EnCana Corporation.
The sheer magnitude of his latest venture with EnCana is a testament to
his vigilance and ability to work closely with the client to understand the
needs and strategic occupancy requirements necessary.
Since 1988, this dynamic and growth-driven company has acquired, built and
managed single and multi-tenant corporate office, institutional and industrial
developments throughout the United States, Mexico and Canada. From conception
to completion, Matthews Southwest brings together financial resources and an
experienced management team to form profitable partnerships focused on
creating projects of lasting excellence.
With strong emphasis on time management and cost controls, Matthews
Southwest provides investors the profitable return that initially attracts
them. With a confident vision toward conservative and controlled expansion, a
commitment to excellence and a corporate philosophy of minimizing risk and
maximizing long-term profit, Matthews Southwest is well positioned to continue
its momentum of developing quality real estate properties.

SOURCE Matthews Southwest

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4162939&EDATE=
Old October 6th, 2005, 08:42 PM   #11
Dale

Likes (Received): 1591

This is exciting news ! I've waited a very long time for the (now seemingly solid) prospects of Calgary getting a new tallest.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 02:50 PM   #12
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 278

Exciting. I hope it's something interesting, especially if it'll be such a tall building.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 04:53 PM   #13
The Mad Hatter!!
P.E.C.K CREW

Likes (Received): 96

WHOA CAN'T WAIT,THIS IS DEFIN. AN 800FT
"Architects are pretty much high-class whores. We can turn down projects the way they can turn down some clients, but we've both got to say yes to someone if we want to stay in business"Philip Johnson

Boycott the La forum-Worse forum in SSC
The Mad Hatter!! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 08:20 PM   #14
walli
BANNED

Was just looking at a few views of Calgary's skyline. Though Toronto has taller buildings,
the overall look is much better in Calgary. Though you can't take anything away from the
CN Tower and the Rogers Centre, they are far from the rest of the cluster, and the tallest
buildings there are ugly anyway. Have a look at these pictures of Calgray [and then imagine
the new EnCana tower adding to it]. Beautiful! ...

The buildings not only work together, but are vary interesting on their own also, particularly
Bankers Hall [IE the CIBC and Royal Bank buildings], Petro Canada Centre, Canterra Tower
and the Bank of Montreal building. The Husky Buildings are very cool also!
Old October 8th, 2005, 08:35 PM   #15
j4893k
I'm a Registered User

Likes (Received): 1

Amazing skyline shots & great news for Calgary. When will the renderings be unveiled?
Old October 9th, 2005, 03:47 AM   #16
Haber

I know there are tons of offices downtown, but how many people live in Calgary's downtown core?
Haber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 04:14 AM   #17
furrycanuck

Likes (Received): 8

Depends on how extensively you define downtown- in the downtown commercial core per se, 7200 as of 2005 civic census; if you add core-west end-east village-eau claire-chinatown, then it's about 16,000; add another 16,500 in the beltline (just south of the core); if you take all the inner city communities from Hillhurst to Bridgeland north of downtown and Bankview to Inglewood to the south, then you have something like 90,000.
furrycanuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 05:46 AM   #18
walli
BANNED

Density is on the way up, given the numerous condo tower projects, including the largest residential tower in Alberta. Construction focus is currently along the south and the west, however, the east should get going over the next couple years [east village project].
Old October 11th, 2005, 09:02 PM   #19
walli
BANNED

EnCana hires Texas firm to advise on new tower
Energy giant will act as own developer
Gina Teel
Calgary Herald
Friday, October 07, 2005
http://working.canada.com/toronto/se...hHq8Ifjg%3D%3D

EnCana Corp. has tapped Texas firm Matthews Southwest to oversee the energy giant's plans to erect a landmark two-million-square-foot office complex in downtown Calgary.

On board as a development adviser, Matthews Southwest is managing the project for EnCana, which is acting as its own developer on the project, EnCana spokeswoman Almas Kassam said Thursday.

"They have a proven record in partnering with large corporations to self-develop cost-effective, innovative and fit-for-purpose office buildings which is, as you know, exactly what we're looking to do," she said.

Speculation within the commercial real estate industry is that EnCana will build the tallest tower in Western Canada, a title currently held by the 52-storey Petro-Canada Centre.

However, Kassam said there's still no indication what the complex to house EnCana's 3,200 employees will look like, given that an architect has yet to be selected.

"The architect is really going to be a key player in terms of coming up with the schematic, so we're not there yet," she said.

Jack Matthews, president of Matthews Southwest, agreed.

"Anyone who tells you they know what it's going to look like is not telling you the truth, because no one knows what it's going to look like -- unless the architect we haven't hired yet has cut a plan out somehow," he said from his office in Lewisville, just outside of Dallas.

Matthews, a transplanted Canadian who lived and worked in Calgary in 1978-79 on the light rail transit construction project, said about the only certainty at this point is that EnCana wants a very intelligent design and good quality.

EnCana CEO Gwyn Morgan has described the project as a "signature development."

Matthews Southwest has been involved in many significant developments in Canada over the years, including the 36-storey, 936,000-square-foot tower built for TransCanada PipeLines in Calgary.

Matthews Southwest will co-ordinate all aspects of the EnCana project, including the selection of the consulting team, site acquisition, planning, design, procurement, logistics, scheduling, budgeting and managing the entire construction process.

The project is expected to be completed in 2009.

Earlier this week, the City of Calgary approved the sale of the 76-year-old York Hotel and a police parking lot to EnCana.

Both properties are located beside parking lots previously purchased by EnCana located across the street from Petro-Canada Centre.

gteel@theherald.canwest.com
Old October 17th, 2005, 01:24 AM   #20
josh white

From Nasdaq on SSP

If you receive "Business in Calgary" magazine, it has an article about Encana in it with some new information.

I don’t have a scanner so I'll type out part of the article.

EnCana Prepares to Unveil Concept for New Office Tower Project

The rumours will soon be put to rest. EnCana Corp's announcement that it has secured land on two adjacent blocks of property in downtown Calgary will be followed by the release of a conceptual drawing of the planned tower complex in the next two month.Among the rumours are that the new building will be more than 60 story’s high, making it the largest in Western Canada.

"It will change the skyline and it's going to transform that particular location in the city," says Drune Rimell, executive vice-president of corporate services for EnCana.

The estimated $540-million project could include one or two towers and will give the energy giant a major, centralized presence in the heart of the downtown core.

Once the building concept is announced perhaps later this month, the company will develop more detailed architectural plans in the new year and hopes to break group by late 2006 on the roughly two -million-square-foot project, says Rimell.

"It's a very significant project for us," she says. "It became increasingly obvious that it just makes a lot of sense from a cost point of view, but more important, from an employee point of view in terms of being all together."

The company's 3400 employees currently work in five different buildings downtown. This project will save money, but the transition will be done gradually to avoid "the release of a whole bunch of space on the market all in one fell swoop," she says.

Employees are tentatively scheduled to begin moving into the new complex starting in 2009 and completing the transition sometime in 2010.

Situated on the east side of Centre Street between 5th and 7th Avenues, the two blocks of space are currently being used as parking lots.

"it's going to be a development... of which EnCana can be very proud, but also of which all Calgary can be proud," says Rimell.

The company has been so busy making a smooth transition after the merger that created the energy giant that the timing just seemed right, she adds. "We've been building up to this."

In related news, plans are pushing ahead for two office towers that will flank either side of the Calgary Tower at 115 9th Avenue Developers are eager to break ground, despite some controversy raised by the Calgary Downtown Association and other groups that two twin towers will detract frim the tourist atmosphere of the area.

Each of those buildings would be about 26 storeys tall and house 450,000 sqaure feet of office space.
josh white no está en línea   Reply With Quote