search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > General > NASF Archive

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 24th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #8941
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc guy View Post
This building is at/near the single-family residential edge of the Crown Hill neighborhood. There, the architecture is mainly frame in American Foursquare and vernacular styles. The apartment buildings in the neighborhood's interior (as opposed to the grand ones on Meridian) tend to be 3-story blocks of similar massing and proportion, though typically only 8, 10, or 12 units. Those buildings are typically fairly plain, usually brick with some kind of water-table accent, but sometimes frame or stucco.
I'm speaking mostly of the structures along Meridian. Directly across the street from this block are several large brick houses, a couple turn of the century brick apartment buildings, and a gothic stone chapel.
Quote:

The apartment structures, even the grand ones on Meridian, mostly have plain parapets and flat roofs. 34/Meridian, the newest, is an exception and has a faux pitched roof. Mansard wouldn't fit.
I was thinking the use of a hipped roof to make up for the removal of the tacky awnings. A detailed cornice made of a mixture of stone and brick would do just fine.
Quote:

As for "fitting in", north across 33rd is a slab-sided tall one-story commercial structure. Next door on 33rd is a parking garage. Across Illinois is mostly surface overflow parking for The Children's Museum. To the south is open space and more TCM surface parking. To the "rear" is a Meridian-fronting lot where TCM hopes to build some kind of commercial structure. A semi-modern office tower is at 33rd and Meridian. It fits in just fine.
It doesn't fit in at all. The neighborhood is mostly turn of the century buildings. On the southeast corner of the very same block there is the old Glossbrenner mansion. Across the street to the east there is the trinity episcopal church, an old gothic chapel. The block to the north has no less than 4 historical apartment buildings.

This building is clearly a product of a fad, not true aesthetics.

"I donít know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2012, 11:53 PM   #8942
cailes

Likes (Received): 101

IBJ is reported that a developer has been selected for the Mass Ave fire department site.

Should put to rest where the fire station is going (college ave?) and all that good stuff.
cailes no está en línea  
Old October 25th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #8943
cdc guy

Likes (Received): 1415

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
I'm speaking mostly of the structures along Meridian. Directly across the street from this block are several large brick houses, a couple turn of the century brick apartment buildings, and a gothic stone chapel.

I was thinking the use of a hipped roof to make up for the removal of the tacky awnings. A detailed cornice made of a mixture of stone and brick would do just fine.

It doesn't fit in at all. The neighborhood is mostly turn of the century buildings. On the southeast corner of the very same block there is the old Glossbrenner mansion. Across the street to the east there is the trinity episcopal church, an old gothic chapel. The block to the north has no less than 4 historical apartment buildings.

This building is clearly a product of a fad, not true aesthetics.
I think you're imagining the block wrong.

This building will be at the SE corner of 33rd and Illinois, which is the northwest corner of the old Winona property. This is screened from Meridian, as it is tucked behind the parking garage and office block, and will be further screened by the to-be-built commercial building mid-block between the office block and the Glossbrenner Mansion.

When redevelopment is complete, this building will not be visible from Meridian.
Its front door relates to Illinois. Its nearest neighbors are the decidedly-not-turn-of-the-century concrete block building north across 33rd, and the parking garage, and the two old frame houses (surrounded by parking lot) directly across Illinois.

Further, those properties you describe across Meridian are all slated for demolition by Trinity and St. Richards for campus expansion over the coming years.
cdc guy no está en línea  
Old October 25th, 2012, 12:17 AM   #8944
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1216

I'd like to know a lot more about the status of the Whitsett project at the NW corner of Michigan and College before knowing if it makes any sense for a new fire station to go in there. I can't imagine that a lot of the Lockerbie neighbors won't put up a huge fuss about a fire station going in across the street. It seems like somewhere a few blocks to the east - nearer to the interstate might be a better place for a fire station. Its good to have it close to the downtown neighbors - but I wouldn't want it right across the street where you'd hear the sirens every time an alarm goes off, 24 hours a day.

Originally, i'd seen plans for a fifteen - twenty story project on the site. Now it sounds like it will only be four or five. I'm looking forward to seeing the architectural drawings.
GarfieldPark no está en línea  
Old October 25th, 2012, 12:26 AM   #8945
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc guy View Post
I think you're imagining the block wrong.

This building will be at the SE corner of 33rd and Illinois, which is the northwest corner of the old Winona property. This is screened from Meridian, as it is tucked behind the parking garage and office block, and will be further screened by the to-be-built commercial building mid-block between the office block and the Glossbrenner Mansion.

When redevelopment is complete, this building will not be visible from Meridian.
Its front door relates to Illinois. Its nearest neighbors are the decidedly-not-turn-of-the-century concrete block building north across 33rd, and the parking garage, and the two old frame houses (surrounded by parking lot) directly across Illinois.
Oh I see.

I still think this is a missed opportunity for some truly fantastic architecture.
Quote:

Further, those properties you describe across Meridian are all slated for demolition by Trinity and St. Richards for campus expansion over the coming years.
What?! Even the chapel? Why on earth is no one doing anything to preserve these buildings?

Agh, I swear people never learn.

"I donít know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea  
Old October 25th, 2012, 03:13 AM   #8946
indymidlander

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
These are the saddest pix there.

EXACT same three I was thinking of. Had they kept and renovated the old city hall it could have been such a cool contrast of old vs. new. What a shame!
indymidlander no está en línea  
Old October 25th, 2012, 05:23 AM   #8947
ablerock

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldPark View Post
I'd like to know a lot more about the status of the Whitsett project at the NW corner of Michigan and College before knowing if it makes any sense for a new fire station to go in there. I can't imagine that a lot of the Lockerbie neighbors won't put up a huge fuss about a fire station going in across the street. It seems like somewhere a few blocks to the east - nearer to the interstate might be a better place for a fire station. Its good to have it close to the downtown neighbors - but I wouldn't want it right across the street where you'd hear the sirens every time an alarm goes off, 24 hours a day.
Are there any public records available showing how often the Mass Ave. station is called to duty? I'd be curious to see them.

I work exactly one block north of the station on Mass. and seemingly rarely hear alarms or sirens from that station. When I do, it's obvious, but not any more annoying than hearing the sirens in the distance when at home. (And obviously, noise levels may depend on which directions the trucks head.)

This is just guessing based on hearsay, but it seems like the station will be tucked between the church that's being renovated by A2SO4 (which will block it from disturbing residents to the north) and potentially a large mass of buildings to the south (perhaps a parking garage) that will block old school Lockerbie residents from getting blasted. Other than that, it's just going to be urban noise and anyone that lives within 5 miles of the Circle should be used to hearing a police or firetruck siren every so often, right?

I understand people don't want to live right next door to a station, but there's got to be a balance between living in an urban environment and reasonable noise expectations.
Old October 25th, 2012, 10:07 AM   #8948
Sunday_Bloody_Sundae

Likes (Received): 174

i cant believe nobody has mentioned anything about the noticeable progress on stadium lofts... or the planning/zoning approvals to close the alleys where 1201 Indiana phase II is to be built
Sunday_Bloody_Sundae no está en línea  
Old October 25th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #8949
Indy'd

Likes (Received): 167

I just know we are going to see a standard fire station, single use structure placed on what should be a very prime piece of land. Stations can have a very positive impact to the neighborhood, but wouldn't it be great if it was topped by office or some other use. Maybe a fire station on College will seal the fate of a return to 2 way traffic.

I go by the stadium lofts every day, kind of an awkward waste if you ask me, but yes, they are moving along. Probably about 75% of the old seating area has been framed in.

The 1201 piece has some unfortunate decisions on the preliminary plans. The parking garage on the north is a massive single block of meaningless dribble.
Old October 25th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #8950
cailes

Kevin wrote about the 1201 expansion earlier this week over at Urban Indy.

Also, I drove by Stadium Lofts a couple weeks ago. Its looking good.
cailes no está en línea  
Old October 25th, 2012, 04:12 PM   #8951
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 461

Phase II of 1201 Indiana adds 214 units and a 4 story garage of unspecified capacity.

Elevations and siteplan:

Old October 25th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #8952
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Some quick cell phone shots of Stadium Lofts that I took a couple weeks ago:

https://plus.google.com/photos/11652...ICR0c_bkLKshQE

Here's one copied directly:

Old October 25th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #8953
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
Some quick cell phone shots of Stadium Lofts that I took a couple weeks ago:

https://plus.google.com/photos/11652...ICR0c_bkLKshQE

Oh wow, thanks. I rarely make it to that part of town.
Old October 25th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #8954
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy'd View Post
I just know we are going to see a standard fire station, single use structure placed on what should be a very prime piece of land. Stations can have a very positive impact to the neighborhood, but wouldn't it be great if it was topped by office or some other use. Maybe a fire station on College will seal the fate of a return to 2 way traffic.
From what I've read/heard, it's going to be integrated into the mixed-use development on that parcel. (by Whitsett I believe?) So we may see a structure very much like what you're hoping for. And I understand that College will be two-way from Mass to Market. I wish they'd take it to Virginia, but it's a start.
Old October 25th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #8955
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Just went through my phone and here are a couple other fun shots I took recently:

View toward downtown from the 8th floor of The Marott apartment building:

Neuroscience Center from the top of the garage:

Some panoramic shots of the Meridian St. bridge work over time:

February:

September:

October:

A hunk of the bridge facade waiting to go up back in September (and my daughter):
Old October 25th, 2012, 04:37 PM   #8956
ablerock

IBJ has details about the Mass Ave firestation redev up before official announcements:

http://www.ibj.com/city-selects-deve.../article/37471

Schmidt Ass. is the architecture firm. Drat!

Drat, drat, drat!!!

We're going to have another farking 3 Mass on our hands.
Old October 25th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #8957
cailes

I am being optimistic that the part about "feel like mass ave" part means it really will and that the contemporary slant isnt another cruise ship on top of a pile of bricks

cailes no está en línea  
Old October 25th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #8958
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1216

Thanks for the photos Good to hear that the fire house may be consolidated into the Whitsett project. That's what this city needs more of -- coordinated project planning -- shared parking - mixed uses on blocks. Hopefully we'll see more of that in the future.
GarfieldPark no está en línea  
Old October 25th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #8959
CorrND
Moderator Chris

From Cory Schouten's Property Lines twitter account:

"Details: 235 apartments, 40K retail, underground parking, electronic art screen at the corner."

"Mayor: This $43m proposal contained the "largest investment" and "ideal" mix of apartments and retail"

"City contributing $3M from TIF to Mass Ave project, and free land. Developer required to put $5.4M into escrow to ensure it gets built."

Last edited by CorrND; October 25th, 2012 at 05:15 PM.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old October 25th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #8960
ablerock

Big Renders and Site plan:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Tags
development, indianapolis