search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > General > NASF Archive

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 26th, 2009, 12:56 AM   #941
BosartBrown

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday_Bloody_Sundae View Post
What exactly is the height limit for high rise vs. midrise?
I don't think there is a clear b&w cut off between a mid rise and a high rise. Emporis (a corp that tracks high rise dev) defines the cutoff for a high rise as either 12 stories or 120 feet in height to the roof. I believe a mid rise would probably be defined as a building between 5 and 11 stories in height. This type of building does little for a skyline but can increase densities dramatically.

Last edited by BosartBrown; November 26th, 2009 at 01:08 AM.
BosartBrown no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2009, 02:14 AM   #942
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

My thought for the White River frontage was 4-8 stories.
Old November 26th, 2009, 03:26 AM   #943
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1216

American Dirt: Got it. Yeah, I see now how your note came in within the minute after the 22nd and Meridian item was typed -- and I understand how your comment was correct re the geography of the little grocery being in the vicinity of the VP.
GarfieldPark no está en línea  
Old November 28th, 2009, 06:11 AM   #944
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1216

Here's a link to another story on Fountain Square development. Much of it is just regular PR talk about existing restaurants, clubs, etc. -- but it does mention at least one new thing I hadn't heard before --- a new live music venue called La Revolucion that is being planned to open sometime next year. It will be owned by the same guy who owns and runs Radio Radio. It is supposed to be a mixed restaurant / music facility - and will be larger than Radio Radio. It also talks about the new pub - Red Lion Grog House; the new White Rabbit Cabaret; and the new temporary IMOCA exhibit -- all of which will be opening soon. Things are definitely rolling along pretty well in Fountain Square.

http://m.indy.com/posts/new-life-for...e-neighborhood
GarfieldPark no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #945
IndyYeah

The Soldiers and Sailors Monument is now open. Not sure if the museum downstairs was redone.
Old November 30th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #946
Round Rock

Likes (Received): 21

Is pedestrian bridge from the JW to White River State Park still planned?

I had posted this on the JW thread but thought I would ask here on this thread as well on an observation to see if anyone knows the status of the JW pedestrian bridge to the park....

I have a question: In studying the original sight plan "the one with the different colored footprints of the buildings", it shows a pedestrian bridge "in dashed lines" going from the plaza area in front of the new Fairfield Inn curing over Washington Street and coming down in the park about a hundred feet or so into it. I had seen a news clip on this early in the year and the White River Park director was talking about it and how exciting it was that they were going to build this bridge into the park as a true link to the park itself from the hotel.
Now in studying the plaza pictures of how it is supposed to look when completed, one of the pictures in particular shows this large red swooping sculpture. Now if you look at the site plan for the pedestrian bridge and study where that sculpture is, it looks like the bridge is now NOT part of the overall plan. Does anyone know about this pedestrian bridge and if it is still planned?
Round Rock no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #947
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Rock View Post
I had posted this on the JW thread but thought I would ask here on this thread as well on an observation to see if anyone knows the status of the JW pedestrian bridge to the park....

I have a question: In studying the original sight plan "the one with the different colored footprints of the buildings", it shows a pedestrian bridge "in dashed lines" going from the plaza area in front of the new Fairfield Inn curing over Washington Street and coming down in the park about a hundred feet or so into it. I had seen a news clip on this early in the year and the White River Park director was talking about it and how exciting it was that they were going to build this bridge into the park as a true link to the park itself from the hotel.
Now in studying the plaza pictures of how it is supposed to look when completed, one of the pictures in particular shows this large red swooping sculpture. Now if you look at the site plan for the pedestrian bridge and study where that sculpture is, it looks like the bridge is now NOT part of the overall plan. Does anyone know about this pedestrian bridge and if it is still planned?
Someone (I think ablerock) posted a while back that the bridge was cancelled. Early on, I think there were design complications between the arc of the bridge necessary for ADA compliance and the height necessary for truck clearance. In the end, though, I think it was simply a budget casualty.
Old December 1st, 2009, 04:41 PM   #948
cailes

Likes (Received): 101

The Uptown may not be under construction, but at least they are fixing up the line of stores across the street from it. Snapped this last night

cailes no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2009, 05:27 PM   #949
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailes View Post
The Uptown may not be under construction, but at least they are fixing up the line of stores across the street from it. Snapped this last night
Yeah, Greg Hardesty (ELEMENTS) is putting in a restaurant called Recess! Get ready because it is going to be great!

Hopefully Uptown can pull together its final financial hurdle and get moving again soon.

I happen to think that things are going to happen for Indianapolis...

Last edited by EddieB317; December 1st, 2009 at 05:53 PM.
EddieB317 no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2009, 05:51 PM   #950
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Downtown life sciences corridor flagged for development
IBJ StaffNovember 28, 2009

A new task force is charged with making recommendations for development of the city’s downtown certified technology park.

The Indianapolis Downtown Certified Technology Park Task Force convenes next month. It will evaluate optimal use of a corridor that’s long been targeted for life sciences businesses and facilities.

The corridor, bounded by 16th Street on the north, Fall Creek on the east and south, and White River on the west, was designated a certified technology park by the Indiana Economic Development Corp. in 2003, allowing collection of taxes generated inside its boundaries for reinvestment inside the park. It was named a life sciences district in 2004 under Indianapolis’ 2020 Regional Center Plan.

The eight-member task force is chaired by BioCrossroads Vice President Anne Shane. It also includes Indianapolis Economic Development Inc. CEO Scott Miller; his colleague, IEDI Life Sciences Director Nancy Langdon; Dorothy Jones, a member of the Metropolitan Development Commission; Riverside Civic League President Peggy Gamlin; Clarian Health Senior Vice President of Engagement and External Affairs Ron Stiver; Indiana University Office of Engagement Executive Director David Gard; and Deputy Mayor for Economic and Workforce Development Nick Weber.

“This is a concrete step forward as we look to determine what opportunities are out there for this specific cluster area,” Weber said in a statement. “Much has been done in terms of evaluating the possible, but now we are working to take action on these opportunities and make development in this area a reality.”

Old December 1st, 2009, 06:41 PM   #951
cailes

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB317 View Post
Yeah, Greg Hardesty (ELEMENTS) is putting in a restaurant called Recess! Get ready because it is going to be great!

Hopefully Uptown can pull together its final financial hurdle and get moving again soon.

Thanks for the update! I didnt know. I was in a hurry and probably missed the proper signage haha
cailes no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2009, 06:49 PM   #952
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailes View Post
Thanks for the update! I didnt know. I was in a hurry and probably missed the proper signage haha

I don't know if there is a sign. This is actually the restaurant that Gabe was getting ready to transition to from Goose (maybe still with Goose partially?). There will also be a few people from the staff of Elements.

Old December 1st, 2009, 06:50 PM   #953
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Where is the Uptown?
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:15 PM   #954
Wu-Gambino

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:

A new task force is charged with making recommendations for development of the city’s downtown certified technology park.

The Indianapolis Downtown Certified Technology Park Task Force convenes next month. It will evaluate optimal use of a corridor that’s long been targeted for life sciences businesses and facilities.

The corridor, bounded by 16th Street on the north, Fall Creek on the east and south, and White River on the west, was designated a certified technology park by the Indiana Economic Development Corp. in 2003, allowing collection of taxes generated inside its boundaries for reinvestment inside the park. It was named a life sciences district in 2004 under Indianapolis’ 2020 Regional Center Plan.

The eight-member task force is chaired by BioCrossroads Vice President Anne Shane. It also includes Indianapolis Economic Development Inc. CEO Scott Miller; his colleague, IEDI Life Sciences Director Nancy Langdon; Dorothy Jones, a member of the Metropolitan Development Commission; Riverside Civic League President Peggy Gamlin; Clarian Health Senior Vice President of Engagement and External Affairs Ron Stiver; Indiana University Office of Engagement Executive Director David Gard; and Deputy Mayor for Economic and Workforce Development Nick Weber.

“This is a concrete step forward as we look to determine what opportunities are out there for this specific cluster area,” Weber said in a statement. “Much has been done in terms of evaluating the possible, but now we are working to take action on these opportunities and make development in this area a reality.”
Maybe they can come up with something for Bush Stadium.
Wu-Gambino no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2009, 08:07 PM   #955
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
Where is the Uptown?
It's in midtown
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2009, 08:07 PM   #956
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:

The word "PARK" scares me.
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2009, 09:14 PM   #957
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

The Uptown development is supposed to be on the north west corner of college and 49th stretching north to 50th street.

http://www.uptown-indy.com/

(I am pretty sure this is an old rendering...)

Old December 1st, 2009, 09:19 PM   #958
thundermutt
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post
It's in midtown
The Meridian-Kessler/Broad Ripple part of College Ave. (38th to 65th, what younger folks refer to as SoBro and Broad Ripple) is really an "Uptown" district. In fact, the (former) police station at 42nd was once a theater called The Uptown.

North of the river, Washington Twp. is completely suburban in character.

IMO Indianapolis' real "midtown district" is the Capitol/Illinois/Meridian/Penn/Delaware core from about 16th St. (or maybe I-65) up to 38th. Not really "downtown" and certainly not "uptown".
thundermutt no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2009, 09:20 PM   #959
thundermutt
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post
The word "PARK" scares me.
Me too. Sounds as if the model will be the north end of the downtown canal: suburban office park with lots of (nicely landscaped) surface parking.
thundermutt no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2009, 09:29 PM   #960
cailes

It would be a breath of fresh air to see someone promote limiting the parking. Maybe this would prompt some more bus ridership. That is probably hoping for too much though
cailes no está en línea  

Tags
development, indianapolis