daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 300m/1,000 ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Old Today, 03:14 AM   #11401
bagak
Rang Chaniago

Likes (Received): 46

Some of you guys have inspired me to take the shot of the building from the roof top of my office, so here they are...

Seorang pecundang mengatakan bahwa bangsa Minangkabau adalah bangsa pemimpi yang suka berpangku tangan, tapi kami bangsa Minangkabau berkata, ya kami adalah pemimpi, pemimpi untuk jadi besar dan sukses, itulah sebabnya kami punya tradisi dimana setiap anak lelaki diakhir baligh-nya akan berjalan meninggalkan tanah kelahirannya mencari jati diri dan posisi di masyarakat dan pemerintahan, dan torehan mimpi mimpi bangsa Minangkabau itu bisa dilihat dari sejarah bangsa ini hingga sekarang.
bagak no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old Today, 03:31 AM   #11402
600West218

Likes (Received): 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanrule View Post
It has an acceptable floor plan.

When I first read this I didn't believe the rich people who buy this will be paying such obscenely low taxes. Then I found this article which confirmed the low amounts and point out that buyers at One57, 56 Leanord, and 30 Park Place are getting the same deals.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/14/re...reak.html?_r=0

This really needs to stop and these people need to start paying taxes like everyone else.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:07 AM   #11403
anrsbes.charles

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
When I first read this I didn't believe the rich people who buy this will be paying such obscenely low taxes. Then I found this article which confirmed the low amounts and point out that buyers at One57, 56 Leanord, and 30 Park Place are getting the same deals. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/14/re...reak.html?_r=0 This really needs to stop and these people need to start paying taxes like everyone else.

Reading the whole article, it explains how the tax break was put in during the 1970's; which were horrible times for NYC with crime high and property value low. It's logical to assume that you would want to give wealthy people a tax break in such conditions as an incentive.

Also in reading the entire article, you see it's the building managers who lobby for the break and the NY State government that approved it.

The article also states there are over $17,000/month in charges to a resident at 432 park, that's more than most pay in real estate /property taxes all year.

4npower liked this post
anrsbes.charles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:24 PM   #11404
viewfrommywindow

Likes (Received): 62

Hi Bagat,

We are neighbors. I can see my apartment across the street. How is Indonesia this time of year? Also, your picture quality is much better than my phone pics. If you update this regularly, I won't have to!

Last edited by viewfrommywindow; Today at 01:04 PM.
viewfrommywindow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:49 PM   #11405
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 5653

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrsbes.charles View Post
Reading the whole article, it explains how the tax break was put in during the 1970's; which were horrible times for NYC with crime high and property value low. It's logical to assume that you would want to give wealthy people a tax break in such conditions as an incentive.

Also in reading the entire article, you see it's the building managers who lobby for the break and the NY State government that approved it.

The article also states there are over $17,000/month in charges to a resident at 432 park, that's more than most pay in real estate /property taxes all year.
I agree. And I think huge increases could threaten this top end market.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:51 PM   #11406
600West218

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrsbes.charles View Post

the 1970s were 40 years ago - New York has been booming for decades.

This is a real outrage that they pay so much less than others and there is no justification for it.

Definitely I am going to have to speak to my city council person about this.
Old Today, 12:52 PM   #11407
600West218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
I agree. And I think huge increases could threaten this top end market.
If they don't pay a proportionate amount of tax we don't want them.
Old Today, 01:31 PM   #11408
Pohtija
Dragonlike

This is one of my favourite renders of the building:

...And a nice site too: http://www.thepinnaclelist.com/blog/...e-new-york-ny/ (old ?)

Manitopiaaa, streetscapeer liked this post

Last edited by Pohtija; Today at 02:13 PM.
Pohtija no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:40 PM   #11409
McSky

Likes (Received): 462

The buyers of the apartments listed on the previous page in this thread will pay between $60,000-$190,000 in annual property taxes, while those buyers will consume far less in NYC/NYS services, due to their part-time residency and lifestyle. They won't be receiving welfare, food stamps, medicaid, riding the subway each day, driving on the roads each day, etc. Sounds like a huge win for NYC. Much higher tax rate per square foot compared to the average apartment due to the sky-high per sq. foot valuation, and much lower consumption of services.
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:33 PM   #11410
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohtija View Post
This is one of my favourite renders of the building:
Wow, I haven't seen that render in such high quality before. A worthy re-post.

It's especially crazy to think there's almost 3 entire "mini-towers" to go before topping out. Right now we're only a couple floors above the mechanicals near the top of the GM building.

But what's exciting to me about that render is that it reflects (pun not initially intended, but thought about and now fully intended) the color and quality of the glass. We've only seen one or two panes fully uncovered, but they're going to be a much more tasteful, highly reflective grayish color than they currently appear because of their blue protective coating.

I understand people's skepticism about the design, and of course not every tower lives up its renders, but man ... if it winds up looking half that good in real life, I believe most of the doubters will come around.

Pohtija liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:39 PM   #11411
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
the 1970s were 40 years ago - New York has been booming for decades.

This is a real outrage that they pay so much less than others and there is no justification for it.

Definitely I am going to have to speak to my city council person about this.

And these wealthy people are the reason it has been booming for decades. Even with these property tax breaks, the wealthy still pour more money into the city then the average person, 1000's of times over. The city council and Mayor already know this and will continue to use things like low property taxes to attract these folks. After all, without these "rich" people, Manhattan would be nothing more then it was 40 years ago with high crime and low property values. Every state in the U.S. does certain things to attract the wealthy and their hard earned money.
So right after you speak to your city council person, walk right up to your newly elected Governor and ask him about this http://startup.ny.gov/
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:47 PM   #11412
Pohtija
Dragonlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Wow, I haven't seen that render in such high quality before. A worthy re-post.
Thanks. I thought so too... And if you move/frame the picture so that you can only see 432 Park Avenue alone in the screen -> there are still more floors visible than there are floors (25 floors in total) in the tallest building in my home country, that is currently under construction too...
And this supertall building is in the middle of NEW YORK ! It's just grazy... ...Love it.

Last edited by Pohtija; Today at 04:05 PM.
Pohtija no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:31 PM   #11413
j-biz

Likes (Received): 640

Excuse me while I hop up here for a minute.

The rich do just as much harm to this city as they do good, let's not kid ourselves there. Same goes for the whole country. No doubt they make up a huge portion of the tax base, but they're also the ones that drove us over the cliff in '08, and countless times before. People like to cite a lot of anecdotes as hard evidence that the billionaires are saving us all, but it's only half the story.

Now, I'm a skyscraper nerd so I love these new towers. But I also know that for every luxury high rise going up on 57th street, somebody is getting pushed further out from the city center, the jobs, and the resources. There is a ripple effect that is felt all the way out in East New York, Hempstead, and the Bronx. I'm not laying blame anywhere, the forces of gentrification are ancient and unstoppable. But it is important to acknowledge that there are always winners and losers.
j-biz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:31 PM   #11414
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 220

The outer floors forms have risen. You can see them on the Sheraton Tribeca cam.

http://www.sheratontribecaview.com
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:58 PM   #11415
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz
Excuse me while I hop up here for a minute.

The rich do just as much harm to this city as they do good, let's not kid ourselves there. Same goes for the whole country. No doubt they make up a huge portion of the tax base, but they're also the ones that drove us over the cliff in '08, and countless times before. People like to cite a lot of anecdotes as hard evidence that the billionaires are saving us all, but it's only half the story.

Now, I'm a skyscraper nerd so I love these new towers. But I also know that for every luxury high rise going up on 57th street, somebody is getting pushed further out from the city center, the jobs, and the resources. There is a ripple effect that is felt all the way out in East New York, Hempstead, and the Bronx. I'm not laying blame anywhere, the forces of gentrification are ancient and unstoppable. But it is important to acknowledge that there are always winners and losers.
For the most part, I agree with you.
Additional taxes will not be levied against the rich for the simple reason that the rich don't want extra taxes. They control the money hence they control the lawmakers. And even if they (the lawmakers) did demand higher taxes from the rich, there would always be ways around it. It's a nice idea to increase taxes the rich, but it's not going to happen.
I would bet her first to admit that it is somewhat disheartening that all of these new 57th street and vicinity towers are exclusive billioniares' mansions, but that's what the demand is obviously for right now.
Old Today, 06:27 PM   #11416
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame View Post
It's a nice idea to increase taxes the rich.

Damn those rich people. Tax them for everything they've earned. There's no reason why anybody should have more money then the next guy or pay less taxes. Punish the hell out of anyone that becomes successful and teach our kids to give everything they earn to people that have less then them. Never, ever, let your kids go to College because if they work hard and become successful, then they will just have to give it all away and be taxed to death.
TAX and INCOME EQUALITY!!
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:31 PM   #11417
(:

Likes (Received): 8

I completely disagree.....
(: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:35 PM   #11418
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 856

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCYB View Post
The outer floors forms have risen. You can see them on the Sheraton Tribeca cam.
It looks like the core has risen properly this time which makes it 278.7m or or 914.4ft tall!

I don't even know how to make my signature look fancy
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:13 PM   #11419
Bada Bing

Likes (Received): 32

The Grey
by Tim Drivas, on Flickr
Bada Bing está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall