daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > Western Australia

Old June 10th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #1
BartBart
In the sweetspot

Likes (Received): 252

Discussions | Music, Movies and the Arts

Old Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=792626

------------

FYI - thanks to crave for pointing out the exhibition - I'll have to hobble down there at some stage:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crave View Post
PS. BETCHEZ!!!!!

get voting!!!

http://www.sculptureproject.org.au/submissions/view/

DID WE ALL MISS THIS?!

i'm voting on this one...

I can't remember what thread, but we had it on here quite a few months back. But looking at that site:

"
Hi

You have all been so patient in waiting for the results and then next phase in the search for our St George!

You will be pleased to know that the 10 shortlisted artists have been working incredibly hard since February and produced the most excuisite maquettes for the exhibition in the Burt Memorial Hall.

If you happen to be in Perth between Saturday 6 June and Sunday 19 June, find your way to the Burt Memorial Hall, 38a St George's Terrace, Perth.

The exhibition will be open from 10-4 most days, however on Sundays it will be open to the public 12-4, and on Saturday 13 th it will be closed.

If you are not lucky enough to be in Perth, then go online www.sculptureproject.org.au and check out the most recent information on our shortlisted artists. There details about each artist and links to their own websites as well as updates on the development of the models.

ALSO, you will be able to see the Top 5 People's Choice which are marked. We haven't given you the Favourite People's Choice yet because we have one final furious phase to go.

VOTE FOR YOUR FAVOURITE in the Top 10 artworks. Voting only be open for a very short time and will close at midnight (Perth Standard Time) on 12 June - the Selection Panel will meet on 12 June.

The announcement of the winner of the commission will be at the Gala Cocktail Party on 6.30 pm Monday 15 June in Burt Memorial Hall by the Lord Mayor of Perth, Lisa Scaffidi.

Tickets are available for $50 each so if you would like to come, please email me on appeal@perthcathedral.org

Thank you for staying with us through to the bitter end.....it has been an exciting and rewarding journey and I know that the final outcome will be sensational and worth all of the effort that has been put into it by all of the artists - not just those shortlisted but also those who have been a part of our search.

Cheers

Jo

Administrator

St George's Cathedral Sculpture Project
"

Last edited by alvse; June 28th, 2009 at 05:07 AM.
BartBart no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 10th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #2
Blindfold
I said love, I said pet

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastexjr View Post
Loving your list BF (and tbor's), esp Pop Will Eat Itself. Haven't heard them for ages. Picking a favourite Kate Bush song would have been the equivalent of Sophie's Choice. So much good music here to download. Cheers.
You can't half tell that I'm seriously stuck in a 80s/90s timwarp music-wise. I should probably add the following to my list (getting a little dancier here):

My Bloody Valentine - Soon/When You Sleep
Nine Inch Nails - Wish
Snog - The Future
Severed Heads - Twister
Sabres of Paradise - Smokebelch (Beatless Mix)
USURA - Open Your Mind
Quench - Dreams
Siouxsie & the Banshees - Kiss Them for Me/Spellbound
Supergrass - Richard III/Sun Hits the Sky
Tears for Fears - Mad World
Underworld - Dark & Lond (Dark Train)
S-Xpress - Theme from S-Xpress
MARRS - Pump up the Volume
Primal Scream - Don't Fight It, Feel It/Higher than the Sun
The Prodigy - Poison/Firestarter/Girls
Portishead - Half Day Closing
The Orb - Little Fluffy Clouds
Ministry - Thieves
Leftfield - Song of Life
Inpsiral Carpets - Joe/Dragging Me Down
Goanna - Solid Rock
Depeche Mode - Get the Balance Right/World in my Eyes
David Bowie - Ashes to Ashes
The Cure - A Forest
The Chemical Brothers - Out of Control/Block Rocking Beats
Bjork - Army of Me/Bachelorette
Basement Jaxx - Jump & Shout/Get Me Off
ABBA - The Visitors
Soft Cell - Sex Dwarf
Old June 10th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #3
jackso

Likes (Received): 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartBart View Post
FYI - thanks to crave for pointing out the exhibition - I'll have to hobble down there at some stage:

I can't remember what thread, but we had it on here quite a few months back. But looking at that site:

"
Hi

You have all been so patient in waiting for the results and then next phase in the search for our St George!

You will be pleased to know that the 10 shortlisted artists have been working incredibly hard since February and produced the most excuisite maquettes for the exhibition in the Burt Memorial Hall.

If you happen to be in Perth between Saturday 6 June and Sunday 19 June, find your way to the Burt Memorial Hall, 38a St George's Terrace, Perth.

The exhibition will be open from 10-4 most days, however on Sundays it will be open to the public 12-4, and on Saturday 13 th it will be closed.

If you are not lucky enough to be in Perth, then go online www.sculptureproject.org.au and check out the most recent information on our shortlisted artists. There details about each artist and links to their own websites as well as updates on the development of the models.

ALSO, you will be able to see the Top 5 People's Choice which are marked. We haven't given you the Favourite People's Choice yet because we have one final furious phase to go.

VOTE FOR YOUR FAVOURITE in the Top 10 artworks. Voting only be open for a very short time and will close at midnight (Perth Standard Time) on 12 June - the Selection Panel will meet on 12 June.

The announcement of the winner of the commission will be at the Gala Cocktail Party on 6.30 pm Monday 15 June in Burt Memorial Hall by the Lord Mayor of Perth, Lisa Scaffidi.

Tickets are available for $50 each so if you would like to come, please email me on appeal@perthcathedral.org

Thank you for staying with us through to the bitter end.....it has been an exciting and rewarding journey and I know that the final outcome will be sensational and worth all of the effort that has been put into it by all of the artists - not just those shortlisted but also those who have been a part of our search.

Cheers

Jo

Administrator

St George's Cathedral Sculpture Project
"
Damn it!!!

Now i cant decide between Gil Bruvel and Rodney Munday.
jackso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #4
BartBart
In the sweetspot

maquettes=small scale rough draft for those that are wondering. It will be interesting to see them - will give a better impression than the drawings we have seen.
Old June 10th, 2009, 09:30 PM   #5
acc521
Do you expect me to talk?

Likes (Received): 367

Great list Blindfold! If anyone on here who has only a passing interest in music chooses to download all of the songs that have been posted on the past few pages, they will be introduced to some amazing stuff that will really astound them.
acc521 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 01:33 AM   #6
BartBart
In the sweetspot

acc521 - I assume you will be picking the song your avatar is dedicated to?
Old June 11th, 2009, 08:13 AM   #7
acc521

Suppose I should have lol. Concert in 4 weeks yay!
Old June 12th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #8
docker
A 'Refined Bogan'

Likes (Received): 388

because i have never heard of any of those songs posted by the old guizers, i figured i would show my itunes playlist. i give a star rating for how much i like them (5 stars obviously the favourites) and this is a look at my current 5 star playlist, which just turns out to be my top 30 songs... they are in no particular order...

http://www.perthurbanist.com/
docker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 04:44 AM   #9
BartBart
In the sweetspot

Geez docker - you can't say you haven't heard any of the songs in us old guy's lists?
Old June 13th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #10
dallastexjr
WHY NOT? Project

Likes (Received): 216

You probably know some of the songs in our lists, just not who performs them. A lot of guitar music in your list there, docker.

Try randomly downloading at least one song from each of our lists and see what you think. You might have your mind expanded by some old buggars who know their shit...
Old June 13th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #11
BartBart
In the sweetspot

Esp from our top 10s.
Old June 13th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #12
docker
A 'Refined Bogan'

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartBart View Post
Geez docker - you can't say you haven't heard any of the songs in us old guy's lists?
i've heard most of them, and if i don't recognise the song then i tend to recognise the band, but i just generally am not a fan of most of them. infact i know your top 10, just there not my favourites...

http://www.perthurbanist.com/
docker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #13
BartBart
In the sweetspot

That's what makes music such a subjective thing. Songs can mean more to different people and are often linked to significant happenings in your life, which makes you like them more in retrospect.
Old June 13th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #14
BartBart
In the sweetspot

After reading through the plans for the Heirreson Island sculpture park I understand why they have the bus drop off area in the Point Fraser car park. And it looks like some significant works to be done to the island. It looks pretty good - and am I wrong with it looking like (from the cross sections that they show) that the earth will be built up to put the road and future light rail to the island underground? This work shows that the parkland in Perth doesn't have to be the boring grassland that seems to be obsessed over along our river foreshore.
Old June 16th, 2009, 03:43 AM   #15
BartBart
In the sweetspot

So, the lit up 6 story lance won and the dragon underground won the public vote. I would have been happy with either - so a good result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The West online & p 16 today
Light beam and lance to mark legend St George

16th June 2009, 9:15 WST

The forecourt of St George’s Cathedral will be transformed by a $500,000 billowing metal sculpture after WA artists Marcus Canning and Christian de Vietri won an international search for a public artwork inspired by the legend of St George and the Dragon.

Canning, the director of alternative arts producer Artrage, and the New York-based Perth expatriate De Vietri were announced as the winners last night from a shortlist of 10 designs from the US, Belgium, Britain and Canada and Australia.

Their 18m-tall artwork Ascalon takes its name from the Medieval name for St George’s lance, which the artists have presented as a chrome tube emitting a beam of light into the sky at night. Wrapped around it is an undulating white powder-coated aluminium sheet inspired by St George’s cloak and the spread of an angel’s wings.

Judging panel member and major donor Mark Creasy said he was concerned about how the public would react. “It is a high-risk, high-energy decision,” Mr Creasy said. “The proof of the pudding will be when it is constructed.”

His own preference was for American-based Australian artist Gil Bruvel’s sculpture of St George fighting a dragon bursting up through the pavement. Bruvel’s piece, which won the people’s choice award, was a simpler engineering challenge, would last 1000 years without much maintenance and allowed children to climb over it, Mr Creasy said.

Dean of Perth and co-panellist Dr John Shepherd said the public support for Bruvel’s design had been taken into account after voting ended last Friday but Ascalon was a worthy winner as a touchstone for the imagination.

“It was very likely that a people’s choice will go with the familiar and think of St George and the dragon and then look for something that is a realist interpretation of your preconception,” Dr Shepherd said.

“Ascalon is an artwork that takes you out of yourself, it gives you a sense of transcendence,” he said. “I think that mystical quality is very important so that it not just giving you a flat statement of something.”

Canning and De Vietri said they were very surprised to have won because they were the youngest artists in the competition and their creation stretched the boundaries of the imagination.

“I think we have presented something which extends the myth of St George,” Canning said. “Our proposal relies absolutely on top-end technology and fabrication technology so it is a very contemporary concept.”

“Many public places change over time but there is a real sense of permanency about this area and the chance to contribute something to this incredible site is marvellous. It is kind of special for us to get to the point where we go, ‘this would be amazing and it will continue to be amazing in 1000 years time’.”

Canning said Ascalon could be installed early next year s part of the redevelopment of the cathedral forecourt.

An exhibition of the 10 finalists’ maquettes is at Burt Memorial Hall, George’s Terrace, until Friday. Other judges included Art Gallery of WA deputy director Gary Dufour, Perth Institute of Contemporary Arts director Amy Barrett-Lennard and cathedral restoration taskforce chairman John Moody.

The world-wide hunt for a $1 million sculpture for the $22 million redevelopment of Forrest Place also is nearing completion. The five finalists for the Situate sculpture project, said to be the single biggest art commission undertaken in WA, will be announced within the next fortnight.

STEPHEN BEVIS
ARTS EDITOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.sculptureproject.org.au/news/post.cfm/the-decision-is-made
The Decision is made!At a Gala event this evening in the Burt Memorial Hall, The Right Honourable the Lord Mayor of Perth, Lisa Scaffidi announced the winner of the People's Choice - the most votes, and the winner of the commission for the public artwork.

Gil Bruvel - St George and the Dragon - received the most votes both online and at the exhibition.

The winner of the commission for a public artwork for St George's Cathedral is:

Marcus Canning and Christian Di Vietri - Ascalon.

The selection panel felt that this work emodied the Dean's vision for St George's.

The Dean is very appreciative of the incredible amount of hard work undertaken by the artists shortlisted - each of them a winner it is own right. It was a tough and well considered decision.

Please join us in congratulating the winner artists....now the work begins.
Old June 16th, 2009, 05:30 AM   #16
gotime

Likes (Received): 7

the situate sculpture competition site seems to be down. apparently the finalists were to be announced at the start of this month and the winner on the 12th of august. has anyone seen the finalists or is this suffering from the usual delays?
gotime no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 05:48 AM   #17
BartBart
In the sweetspot

It appears to be up.
https://situate.dca.wa.gov.au/
Old June 28th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #18
dallastexjr
WHY NOT? Project

Likes (Received): 216

Anybody else here like Temper Trap? Just noticed their debut album came out last week. My new favourite Aussie band!
Old June 29th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #19
acc521

I like their album. They are really getting pushed here in the UK. Always good to see an Aussie band doing well overseas.

Oh and were any Glastonbury performances shown on Channel V or anything? BBC2 was showing stuff all weekend - the Blur performance to close the festival was awesome (all the hits, they sounded great, Damon completely engaged the crowd and the vibe look insane) - I'm so excited about Thursday's concert!!!
Old June 29th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #20
BartBart
In the sweetspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotime View Post
the situate sculpture competition site seems to be down. apparently the finalists were to be announced at the start of this month and the winner on the 12th of august. has anyone seen the finalists or is this suffering from the usual delays?
Note sure if anyone put this up - since it is a couple of weeks old. Actual proposals are to be as part of Stage 2.

18/6/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by https://situate.dca.wa.gov.au/situate/announcements/new_art_for_perth_heart8
Shortlist for international sculpture project announced

The jury of the situate competition - an international sculpture competition offering $1million for an artwork to transform Perth’s Forrest Place- have narrowed down 202 entries received from 33 countries to five shortlisted entrants.

Culture and the Arts Minister John Day said five teams would now be invited to develop their concept designs which would be publicly displayed before the final winner is chosen later this year.

Read the Western Australian Culture and the Arts Minister John Day's statement
http://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au...?ItemID=132067

The following entries have been selected as finalists:

Jean-Bernard Métais, Artist
Courdemanche, France

Dimmity Walker, Architect; Michael Patroni, Architect; David Walker, Artist
Perth, Australia

Fran Dibble, Artists; Paul Dibble, Artists; John Hardwick-Smith, Architect
Palmerston North, New Zealand

James Angus, Artist; Doug Knox, Consulting Engineer; Peter Mclean, Lighting Design
Sydney, Australia

Richard Giblett, Artist; Matthew Herbert, Architect; Jan Vastesaeger, Architect

Melbourne, Australia

Minister Day said he was pleased with the considerable international interest for the project which will help redefine Forrest Place as a vibrant part of the Perth city centre.

“A total of 353 registrations were received from 46 countries, representing every continent except Antarctica,” Mr Day said.

“Western Australia was particularly well represented, accounting for over one third of the registrations from Australia.

“Teams were comprised of a range of professional disciplines adding a depth to this competition that may not have been achieved by a non-collaborative approach.

“In some instances Western Australian professionals made links with international organisations and artists to create their submission.

“This sort of broad thinking shows that WA is willing and able to compete internationally in quality design,” Mr Day said.

Jury Chair Margaret Moore, said that the jury were impressed by the diversity of the entries and the quality of presentation.

As situate is a competition process, no designs are available for release until after the all concept designs are received as part of Stage Two of the competition. Stage Two submissions and selected entries from Stage One will be exhibited in advance of the award announcement.

The situate sculpture competition is funded by the State Government and implemented in partnership with the City of Perth, who has generously allocated space within Forrest Place for the final art work.

The situate jury comprises:
• Margaret Moore (Panel Chair) - Chair of the Board of the Perth Institute of Contemporary Art and Program Manager: Visual Arts at the Perth International Arts Festival
• Timothy Hill - Principal Partner at Brisbane-based architecture practice Donovan Hill
• Simon Perry - Sculptor and lecturer at Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT), School of Art
• Louise Dauth - Government Curator for the art+place program in Queensland
• Andy Sharp- Managing Principal of international design firm, Hassell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by same site as above
Competition Schedule
Deadline for the submission of Stage 1 entries 20 May 2009
Announcement of finalists June 2009
Deadline for the submission of Stage 2 entries 29 July 2009
Announcement of winner 12 August 2009

Project Completion Milestones
Design development completed October 2009
Design documentation completed November 2009
Approvals October 2009 - February 2010
On-site work commences March 2010
Project Completion June/July 2010

Please note – dates may be subject to change
5 artists links:
Jean-Bernard Métais
http://www.jbmetais.com/news/index-e...t=article&id=8

Dimmity Walker, Architect; Michael Patroni, Architect; David Walker, Artist
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dimmity-walker/8/90/99a
http://www.beachsideleighton.com.au/...elpatroni.html
http://www.visualarts.net.au/gallery/DavidWalker/view

Fran Dibble, Artists; Paul Dibble, Artists; John Hardwick-Smith, Architect
http://www.martinbrownefineart.com/ArtistPDibble.html
http://www.martinbrownefineart.com/StockPDibble.html
http://www.mch.govt.nz/projects/memo...on-design.html

James Angus, Artist; Doug Knox, Consulting Engineer; Peter Mclean, Lighting Design
http://www.mca.com.au/default.asp?pa...ontent_id=1944
http://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/med...04/james_angus
http://www.artgallery.wa.gov.au/exhibitions/angus.asp

Richard Giblett, Artist; Matthew Herbert, Architect; Jan Vastesaeger, Architect
http://www.gertrude.org.au/exhibition.php?id=133
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...?from=storyrhs

Last edited by BartBart; June 29th, 2009 at 06:09 PM.
BartBart no está en línea   Reply With Quote