daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Vietnam Forum > Cityscapes and Photography

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 12th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #81
mimimati

Likes (Received): 71

Your picture makes me think of the Fito museum located behind the Kỳ Ha attraction park in Saigon.I am sure you will love it.The whole building was inspired by the Hội An architecture and looks like that house from CLT.

Fito Museum

mimimati no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 12th, 2012, 05:10 AM   #82
anhcanem8897

Likes (Received): 2808

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimati View Post
Your picture makes me think of the Fito museum located behind the Kỳ Ha attraction park in Saigon.I am sure you will love it.The whole building was inspired by the Hội An architecture and looks like that house from CLT.

This roof valances very similar to the decorative Khmer temple roof.

You showed the 2nd picture, I was confused as it is the image that is home to the Khmer, actually, it is an ancient Vietnamese houses in Saigon. You can find houses with this type of roof flashing not only in South Vietnam but also in the North Vietnamese, not only now but a thousand years ago, in the antiques and architecture.

Lang Cat pagoda, Rach Gia city

image hosted on flickr

The two architectural styles have decorative roof cornices, but the similarities are also not sure . I know that the Vietnamese had decorated the roof for a long time, and the Khmer too. Decorative patterns are also different.

Which architecture where only Vietnamese, Khmer decorated roof, the majority of traditional architecture in Asia have, too.

Asians sleep, and Europeans do, too, and we say: Asians and Europeans alike (all this for granted, not to say).

So I see this kind of thinking is not clear, not wrong, but not true.

Last edited by anhcanem8897; March 12th, 2012 at 08:30 AM.
anhcanem8897 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 04:45 AM   #83
rdw3rd

Likes (Received): 255

Some more of the houses on the road to Tan Chau after crossing the ferry from Chau Doc.

In this next one I must apologize for the power line pole. If I hadn't been riding with other people, I'd have stopped and gotten out to take photos of this house, but as it is...it is descriptive, just not the best image. Maybe someone can take a better photo if driving along this road...

I'm working on some additional images from along this road and will post them as I finish them. You will notice that there are fewer intact neighborhoods of these dwellings than there are on Cu lao Tay and many individual houses of the type are bordered by the new masonary buildings which have taken over so many urbanized towns in Viet Nam as the traditional buildings are taken down.

Regards....Rob

rdw3rd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 02:08 AM   #84
rdw3rd

Additional photos from the road to Tan Chau and return, in December of 2011:

The color of the fronts of these houses is actually much more intense than my photos show, but in order to show detail in the shadows of the porch I have to lighten that blue when I bring out the paneling and doors. More time working with each photo would allow for a truer color and in some of the images the color comes very close to what is there.

Anyway, I have a few more to post from this drive across to Tan Chau and will get to those shortly.

Regards....Rob

Old March 14th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #85
rdw3rd

Another installment from the drive to Tan Chau...

And zoom in...

[SIZE="3"And one more image of the same house....] [/SIZE]

Closer for details...

That's it for this morning.

Warm regards....Rob

Last edited by rdw3rd; March 15th, 2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old March 15th, 2012, 03:30 AM   #86
rdw3rd

Additional houses along the road to Tan Chau, several of them enclosed by newer masonary structures which isolate them from their traditional and cultural context....

And details...

Another view, same dwelling...

These next two contained or "sandwiched between"...

Again, warm regards...

Rob

Old March 15th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #87
rdw3rd

This morning a final group of images from the drive across to Tan Chau in December.

Pulling back from this house to show it in context with the strange selection of details on its neighbor.

And this close-up, which doesn't change the state of the house but focuses more on it than its surroundings...

I've found some more images from Cu lao Tay on a card that I'd filled up and forgotten, so will be returning to the island for a couple of final postings next.

Regards....Rob

Old March 15th, 2012, 11:25 PM   #88
coolink
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2299

This is in Lang Sơn....northern Vietnam
so I'm not sure if this has any relation to those houses

http://v7.cache2.c.bigcache.googleap...rect_counter=2
coolink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 03:27 AM   #89
rdw3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolink View Post
This is in Lang Sơn....northern Vietnam
so I'm not sure if this has any relation to those houses
http://v7.cache2.c.bigcache.googleap...rect_counter=2
I suspect that there are several links between this house and those in the Mekong Delta but it would need someone in a better geographical position than I am in to do the research needed to make those connections.

Anyway as noted at the end of my last posting, I have several more images from Cu lao Tay which were on a camera chip I hadn't realized had any from there, so I will post those in the next several entries. First, on the island dike-top road to return to part of the landscape in which these houses exist...

And then more of the houses....

And closer....

This will "do it" for this evening and this installment.

Regards....Rob

Old March 16th, 2012, 03:39 AM   #90
coolink
BANNED

had they have better building materials like shingle roofs, those houses would be so nice
the tint roof just cheapen the whole thing

I just remember not just southern VN or northern VN, but central Vn the ethnic group there built houses like these too

have you been to Ha Giang province?
this ancient town is still intact .......the houses look so cozy, especially during winter

http://www.panoramio.com/user/139882...to_id=59612095
Old March 16th, 2012, 03:38 PM   #91
rdw3rd

Another installment of images from Cu lao Tay....

Closer....

And....

And this charmer, looking over the flowers, plants which wouldn't survive widening the road or a new building in the front yard....

Again, that's it for the morning.

Regards....Rob

Old March 17th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #92
rdw3rd

Another selection of images from Cu lao Tay....

The remaining images in the next posting...

Rob

Old March 17th, 2012, 03:57 PM   #93
rdw3rd

Saturday morning here and some free time, with only seven images remaining for the thread, so I will wrap it all up with this final installment. All of these from Cu lao Tay in December of 2011....

And another look at the dike-top road around the island, part of the setting in which these communities of houses still exist....

That's it, thank you all for your in-put and interest.

Warm regards....

Rob

Last edited by rdw3rd; March 17th, 2012 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old March 17th, 2012, 04:03 PM   #94
coolink
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdw3rd View Post
[

And this charmer, looking over the flowers, plants which wouldn't survive widening the road or a new building in the front yard....

[/SIZE][/FONT]
oh I just noticed this

what do you call this shrub flower in English?
I grew up in a neighbourhood with lots of this type of flower
didn;t know what it call until recently. It's "bng trang" or "hoa trang" in Vietnamese, not sure what's the English name

it's been so long since I see this flower, it has this very unique fragrance
Old March 17th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #95
rdw3rd

Quote:
oh I just noticed this

what do you call this shrub flower in English?
I grew up in a neighbourhood with lots of this type of flower
didn;t know what it call until recently. It's "bng trang" or "hoa trang" in Vietnamese, not sure what's the English name

it's been so long since I see this flower, it has this very unique fragrance
"Ixora coccinea (or Jungle Geranium, Flame of the Woods, and Jungle Flame) is a species of flowering plant in the Rubiaceae family. It is a common flowering shrub native to Southern India and Sri Lanka". Coolink, this is what I found in Wikipedia. I've learned that the best way for me to identify plants I know the name of in Viet Nam is to get the Latin name and go on the Internet with that.

Hope this helps, but don't think these will grow in Canada....

Rob

Old March 17th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #96
coolink
BANNED

Quote:
"Ixora coccinea (or Jungle Geranium, Flame of the Woods, and Jungle Flame) is a species of flowering plant in the Rubiaceae family. It is a common flowering shrub native to Southern India and Sri Lanka". Coolink, this is what I found in Wikipedia. I've learned that the best way for me to identify plants I know the name of in Viet Nam is to get the Latin name and go on the Internet with that.

Hope this helps, but don't think these will grow in Canada....

Rob

thank you so much
the scientific name can be googled , but the actual name people use in everyday speech is what I'm looking for....... do they grow this in southern part of America? You been to places, I think you've seen this quite a lot
Old March 17th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #97
rdw3rd

Quote:
thank you so much
the scientific name can be googled , but the actual name people use in everyday speech is what I'm looking for....... do they grow this in southern part of America? You been to places, I think you've seen this quite a lot
The Wikipedia article says that they grow in southern Florida, but I haven't seen them in Louisiana yet. It also says that they are commonly called "jungle geranium" or "flame of the forest". Usually if you find the Latin name, the common names are given in at least one of the links. Look up sources for the plant on the Internet and they will always have the common names....sources being nurseries which carry the plant. If they have become common in southern Florida then several nurseries will be selling the plants.

Rob

Old March 17th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #98
coolink
BANNED

Quote:
The Wikipedia article says that they grow in southern Florida, but I haven't seen them in Louisiana yet. It also says that they are commonly called "jungle geranium" or "flame of the forest". Usually if you find the Latin name, the common names are given in at least one of the links. Look up sources for the plant on the Internet and they will always have the common names....sources being nurseries which carry the plant. If they have become common in southern Florida then several nurseries will be selling the plants.

Rob

thanks
I love to smell these fragance, they take you back to your childhood

I just bought these Narcissis, or paper-white bulbs, they could be grown in soil or just plain water......once the flower bloom your house is flooded with the fragance, the scent is so strong and nice, it's like real perfume smell,,,,,,,,,reminds me of my first time arriving to canada and attending school here, because my first teacher here planted that in the classroom.
Old April 6th, 2012, 02:05 AM   #99
coolink
BANNED

Rob
I just discovered something

search "cambodian stilt house" in google search box........you'll see those houses
so these southern stilt houses are originated from Cambodia
I found it out by looking at the temples, with all the angels adorned the beams and pillars

look, cambodia

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&sa...FY6y8QTK_oiuDg

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: