daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 21st, 2013, 05:49 AM   #1101
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 2787

Just get on with it!!

Quote:
New MG3 Supermini Debuts at Auto China 2013, Will Launch in Europe This Year

The CS Concept is not the MG brand's only new car displayed in Shanghai, as the Chinese-owned British carmaker surprised us with a preview of its new MG3 supermini. Inspired by the MG Zero concept car, which was unveiled at the 2010 Beijing auto show, the MG3 is the work of the design and engineering team at the MG Birmingham site in Longbridge, UK.

The MG3’s transition from concept car to production vehicle has been done without major changes. The car’s rear end is almost identical with the concept, while at the front the headlights have been slightly changed, ditching the LED technology and the flashy concept car elements like the illuminated strip uniting the headlights. However, LED technology is still present in the “hockey stick” daytime running lights, offered on every trim level.

The MG3 has also retained the black A-pillars of the concept, which offer the impression of a wraparound windscreen. There are no photos of the car’s interior, but it will most likely be very different from the futuristic dashboard of the concept.

MG says the 4,015-mm (158 in) long hatchback offers enough room for four passengers measuring 6-ft (183 cm) each. On the technical side, the MG3 will be powered by a 4-cylinder VTi-TECH petrol engine producing 105PS (104hp), mated to a 5-speed manual transmission.

Following the MG6, the MG3 will be the second in a new generation of MG vehicles to be built at the Birmingham factory and will launch in the UK and Europe later this year.

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/04/new...uto-china.html
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2013, 07:54 AM   #1102
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Likes (Received): 503

1st September.

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2013, 11:59 AM   #1103
sefton66

Likes (Received): 3709

Seen a few driving about longbridge with the checkered covers on recently
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 01:30 AM   #1104
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Bentley Birmingham Lap of Honour
Meet the 3 fastest Bentleys in the world

Tuesday 23rd, Wednesday 24th and Friday 26th to Saturday 27th April 2013

http://www.sytner.co.uk/bentley/birm...%20honour.aspx
May be worth dropping by if you're in the area
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 02:19 AM   #1105
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

I've been hearing stirring rumours that the F-Type coupe/drop-top RWD cars are just the beginning.. how does a 4x4 V6 and a F-Type 2+2 (a la Volvo C30 and VW Scirocco) grab you?

And funny you should be talking about Bentley and their Continental...
....lets just say that a Jaguar XJC hasn't been taken off the table. Decisions will be made in the coming months.....

Old April 25th, 2013, 10:06 AM   #1106
U475 Foxtrot

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/do...hooting-brake/

That all sounds very exciting I've been in the Gaydon area a couple of times this week and saw the XS prototype tooling around. Also nearly had an F-Type drive into the side of me at lightspeed as I pulled out of Compton Verney on Monday. That wiped the smile off my face.
Old April 26th, 2013, 07:03 AM   #1107
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Ah, now that would look great as long ast they get the shape exactly right. The Scirocco looks like a bit of a breadvan IMO. Porsche's Panamera looks better.

Speaking of which F-Type has been compared to the 911 and boxster - Whilst this is more heavier, and 171mph vs 175 (sod all in it really) F-Type is faster accelerating and more responsive.

HURRAH - JAG-U-AR!!!!!!!

Old April 26th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #1108
iheartthenew

Likes (Received): 2854

Quote:
Originally Posted by U475 Foxtrot View Post
WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT
iheartthenew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 12:07 AM   #1109
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthenew View Post
WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT

Double WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT

Old April 27th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #1110
U475 Foxtrot

My god, that's stunning. The rear quarter and blunt nose reminds me a little of of the 90's Astons which is no bad thing
Old May 3rd, 2013, 04:05 AM   #1111
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Oh,by the way... here's a cinematic ad release.....

A bit cheesy.... but enjoy

Old May 12th, 2013, 05:38 AM   #1112
russell77

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
Seen a few driving about longbridge with the checkered covers on recently
I have seen loads of MG3's here in Shanghai over the last year. Looks like a nice little car. I don't know how good it is but from a design point of view I think it stands out a little from the competitors by having some nice design touches. I would consider one apart from the fact that its Chinese 'built' and from my experience thats not the most reassuring thing. There is a glimmer of hope, they do manage to build Apple products here !
russell77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 11:38 AM   #1113
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell77 View Post
I have seen loads of MG3's here in Shanghai over the last year. Looks like a nice little car. I don't know how good it is but from a design point of view I think it stands out a little from the competitors by having some nice design touches. I would consider one apart from the fact that its Chinese 'built' and from my experience thats not the most reassuring thing. There is a glimmer of hope, they do manage to build Apple products here !
I have to admit, I do prefer the exterior styling of the Chinese spec cars. The nose on the Euro spec cars loses a lot of neat detail touches. Not really keen on the hockey stick LED's.

Euro Spec:

China Spec:

Old May 13th, 2013, 11:18 AM   #1114
russell77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon2000 View Post
I have to admit, I do prefer the exterior styling of the Chinese spec cars. The nose on the Euro spec cars loses a lot of neat detail touches. Not really keen on the hockey stick LED's.

Euro Spec:

China Spec:
I agree, the ones I see here have a much more interesting angular look to the front end lights etc. Don't like the European one at all. Just going to nip into the car park to remind myself !

So are these cars in showrooms now ?
Old May 13th, 2013, 05:59 PM   #1115
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

September. There was talk of styling accessories being launched for the '3 and the '6 but I doubt it. Driven the Diesel '6... it's pretty good, seems to pull like a Gressley loco but top speed still limited to 120mph.- no bad thing, it just means rock bottom insurance costs.

Old May 17th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #1116
U475 Foxtrot

I wonder if this is some savvy trick to make the Chinese cars look better than the Euro ones in order to make the foreign product more accepted in our Market

More likely I can see this as exactly what the Chinese want and by selling this here first it can be used a trojan horse for the facelift can marketed to death for their domestic market.

That said the recess for the badge on the front end now seems to tie in with the shape of the MG3 rear window so could have been the plan all along. A more aggressive styling language is apparently coming but this looks fussy and not good to me.
Old May 17th, 2013, 07:45 PM   #1117
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 2787

Quote:
Longbridge factory Mini 'should be donated to the area'

An appeal has been made to the owner of a Mini Clubman, left in a tunnel under the Birmingham car factory where it was built, not to send it to auction.

Gemma Cartwright, a campaigner for ex-Longbridge workers, said it should go on display in the area as an example of local heritage.

The Mini was used by workers but dumped in the 1970s after it became damaged.

It was saved by a former worker last year and is set to be auctioned on 27 July for about £5,000.

Mrs Cartwright said in an open letter on the B31 Voices Facebook page that lots of "Longbridge jewels" had been sold and lost.

She said: "The Mini would take pride of place and be part of the redevelopment yet keep our local heritage... We could do an outstanding rebuild community project with it."

'Put on plinth'

Mrs Cartwright's husband, Andy, who is the Labour councillor for Longbridge and worked at Rover for 17 years, said he also wanted the car to remain as a reminder for future generations.

He said: "The Mini is very iconic with Longbridge, it's like Cadbury's and Dairy Milk.

"That Mini could be galvanised to be weather proof, put on a plinth."

Mr Cartwright said he hoped it would go to "the right bidder" if auctioned, but said "the best thing" would be for the owner to donate it it to the area.

He said donating it, along with his name, would be "worth more than money".

On the Facebook page, someone with the profile Steve Sheena Morgan, who claimed to be the owner of the Mini, said that in the eight months since they had salvaged the car, they had "not had one offer of support".

They wrote that "everyone knew the Mini was there and no-one approached the developers" and found the open letter "a bit hard to swallow".

They said the car had been featured on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube over that time and there had been no interest shown from museums or heritage centres.

They said storage costs were high and it was expensive to transport the Mini.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-22551532

If it hasn't been registered for road use before, if it gets restored could it get a new-style registration?
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #1118
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Yes. It probably has no VIN either. Have they filled those tunnels in yet?

Old May 18th, 2013, 04:32 PM   #1119
russell77

Quote:
Originally Posted by U475 Foxtrot View Post
I wonder if this is some savvy trick to make the Chinese cars look better than the Euro ones in order to make the foreign product more accepted in our Market

More likely I can see this as exactly what the Chinese want and by selling this here first it can be used a trojan horse for the facelift can marketed to death for their domestic market.

That said the recess for the badge on the front end now seems to tie in with the shape of the MG3 rear window so could have been the plan all along. A more aggressive styling language is apparently coming but this looks fussy and not good to me.

I cant work out how to attach my photos but when I first looked at the pictures on here I thought that the Chinese version was different but its not. It looks the same as the pictures on here and thats interesting because I didn't like it in the pictures but I do like the look of the car when I see it for real !

Anyway, they don't have that recess for the badge as on the proposed UK version. I don't like the recess at all. The rear is far more angular looking but it seems to work with the front.

I would say that 40 - 50% of the cars that I see here also have a black roof (top section) and a coloured body, usually blue, yellow or red. The all white seems popular too.
Old May 18th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #1120
Aylett 67

Likes (Received): 561

While I have seen Peugeot/ Talbot/ Chrysler whatever, Rover, Reliant and LDV go from the Midlands in my lifetime, and tens of thousands of jobs go with them, what remains is extremely competitive. Jaguar was once the joke of the hard shoulder and on life support at the end of the seventies, now they are producing cars people want to buy and making money again, same as Land Rover and BMW Mini are producing highly desirable and profitable cars. Yes it is true the huge factories at Canley, Longbridge and Ryton are long gone, but the remaining parts of the Midlands car industry is doing well.
Certainly this is a far cry from the strike ravaged British Leyland of the late seventies who were making uncompetitive, often unreliable cars and relying on taxpayer support.
Aylett 67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
cars, longbridge