search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 23rd, 2017, 09:33 PM   #16401
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8637

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
I'm aware of that. My comment wasn't intended to offend someone, as I like Poland. I just added a little humorous approach, just for the fun read.

And a big DANKE/DZIEKUJE for that!
It is very refreshing to watch so many good pictures from a road trip and read funny but yet informative picture comments and hidden easter eggs ("Dat Skoda!" )!

(And you have exactly my type of humour! )
What Is Love?

RipleyLV liked this post
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2017, 12:15 AM   #16402
michael_siberia
Trzecie pokolenie akowców

Likes (Received): 22498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
This is a major problem in this area. Even the nearby McDonald's restaurant had to be closed because mining operation damaged the building's structure. Several other buildings had to be demolished (as it can be seen here on GSV - change between years 2012 and 2013: https:[email protected]..7i13312!8i6656)

Mine waste bumps are not a problem on the certain section of A1. Problem is the same as on the DTS highway in Zabrze (bad foundation). How to describe that section of A1 using the shortest way? An asphalt highway built directly above the concrete one. Yes, one of the foundation layers is concrete (mine waste bumps protection).

New photos from A1 near Katowice Airport by alfsky:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfsky View Post
Kilka zdjęć z wtorku.
Budowa A1 w rejonie lotniska.
Zdjęcia zrobione jak najbardziej legalnie przy okazji sesji dla lotniska.

Prace dokładnie w osi pasa

Widok w kierunku północnym

Prace w kierunku północnym

Prace w kierunku północnym

Połączenie z istniejącym odcinkiem autostrady A1 i S1.

Więcej zdjęć zapewne pojawi się w wątku dotyczącym infrastruktury lotniczej.

8166UY, Capt.Vimes, Ices77, gr_kanev liked this post
michael_siberia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 04:00 PM   #16403
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 5112

It seems that in course of the "costs optimization" planned for the construction of the S14 expressway, it is going to be built with 2,5 interchange only instead of 6 ones.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 04:05 PM   #16404
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 16754

It seems there is a lack of parking capacity at Pyrzowice Airport. All those makeshift parking lots. According to Google Earth historical imagery they were added over the past couple of years. Are they private initiatives or does it belong to the operator of the airport?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 04:13 PM   #16405
salto_angel
Visionmonger

Likes (Received): 9111

the big one that is adjacent to the terminal is owned by the airport; the rest are just private parking lots.

TUMW
salto_angel está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 04:27 PM   #16406
Kpc21

The private parking lots are not due to lack of parking capacity, but just due to the entrepreneurship of the locals. They offer cheaper and guarded parking places than the unguarded ones on the official parking lot, and provide transfer from the parking lot to the airport by their car.
Old Yesterday, 12:35 AM   #16407
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 689

that's pretty common even in large city airports like YYZ in Toronto... there are thousands of private spaces... when the cost might be 70% cheaper for some weeks than the cheapest option run by the airport, it makes sense...

LMB liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:51 AM   #16408
Kpc21

I was recently checking the Wrocław airport and they had actually lower prices than the private parking lots. It seems the official parking lot has joined the competition there.

I was once - some years ago - flying from the Łódź airport. And the car was left on the official parking lot, mostly because there was no private ones in the neighborhood yet, and it was quite cheap anyway. Now there is less flights (this moment - only lowcosts to the British Islands, from what I know; before they had also charter flights in the holidays) and a few private parking lots. No idea why.
Old Yesterday, 02:33 AM   #16409
Kanadzie

last time I flew out of Toronto airport, the airport put posters inside the terminal advertising that they had reduced parking rates, etc and that it's a great idea to park in the official lot...

me I was looking at the poster and said... but I'm already here!

for on-topic, it looks like only a very minor road to nowhere going over the A1 at the Katowice lotnisko... will / is there a more important access road from the airport to this important autostrada? (I am thinking of similar roads in most cities, e.g. S79 to Okecie)
Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM   #16410
Chris80678

Likes (Received): 136

S1
Chris80678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM   #16411
Kemo

Likes (Received): 14727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
for on-topic, it looks like only a very minor road to nowhere going over the A1 at the Katowice lotnisko... will / is there a more important access road from the airport to this important autostrada? (I am thinking of similar roads in most cities, e.g. S79 to Okecie)
DW913 is the main access road (and it's not the one in the photo).
https:[email protected]../data=!3m1!1e3
It has recently been upgraded to 2x2, but it makes no sense and was a waste of money, because the junction with S1 remains a bottleneck. Well, it doesn't really need to be upgraded, I've never heard of traffic jams there...
Kemo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM   #16412
Chris80678

Likes (Received): 136

S7 Krakow eastern bypass opens in couple of days

I do like bridge over Vistula river

Luki_SL liked this post

Last edited by Chris80678; Yesterday at 01:13 PM.
Chris80678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:27 AM   #16413
Kpc21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
It seems that in course of the "costs optimization" planned for the construction of the S14 expressway, it is going to be built with 2,5 interchange only instead of 6 ones.
Actually, they want to cancel two interchanges (officially it's 1,5 interchange) and the north of Łódź will have no connection to the expressway.

Which would mean, north of Łódź will still have to access the A2 via Zgierz. 12 km of such a road, through a jammed center of a town:

The S14 - the western bypass of Łódź:

The Emilia and Lućmierz interchanges:

Emilia is going to be built (actually - extended by a connection to the S14), but in a limited range. Nobody knows how much limited. Definitely without this connector to the DK91 on the north of it.

Lućmierz is going to be cancelled. Which is acceptable, there is really no much need of it.

The Aleksandrów and Teofilów interchanges:

Aleksandrów - only the connection to the DK71 is going to be built. Without the connection to the new planned road to Łódź. Even though it is really needed for Łódź as a fast connection to the motorway network.

Teofilów is going to be cancelled. It is also a very important interchange for the northern part of Łódź, close to a huge residential area. And it would also be the main interchange for the town of Aleksandrów.

The Konstantynów and Retkinia interchanges:

The Konstantynów interchange is going to be built. Even though there is practically no residential areas next to it. The town of Konstantynów would mainly use the Retkinia interchange anyway, and the part which would use the Konstantynów interchange (in order to head north on the S14) could use the Teofilów interchange equally well.

The Retkinia interchange is going to be built and it's needed. This is the only thing which is OK.

A full map: http://www.s14-slowik-lublinek.pl/files/oz/orient.jpg
Old Today, 12:39 AM   #16414
Kanadzie

probably after road opens, traffic will be such the north Lodz people will complain to the Sejm member and they will pave ramps as per initial plan
Old Today, 12:54 AM   #16415
Kpc21

Why? How could the situation be worse than now?

Now the people have to drive to the A2 through Zgierz.

After the S14 opens - without the needed interchanges - a part (most) of Łódź will still have to drive to the A2 through Zgierz.
Old Today, 01:19 AM   #16416
Kanadzie

but they'll see how much easier it could be and complain to everyone and probably the mayor will complain and since the cost of paving ramps is relatively small compared to building overpass, GDDKiA will go and do it, at least, so I expect the democratic process to function still as elsewhere

Unless of course the relief of other traffic makes the route through Zgeirz very quick and inexpensive enough that nobody cares at all...
Old Today, 01:38 AM   #16417
Kpc21

The mayor should have already complained about it, but she doesn't seem to care. Even if she complains, will the government take care of it? They are from a different political party (PiS), so its likely they will just laugh.

The only one who complained from her political party (PO) is the former minister of infrastructure Cezary Grabarczyk, who is from Łódź.

Some of the city council members, representing NIMBY's living next to the planned connecting road from Łódź to the Aleksandrów junction, may even be happy because of the construction of this connecting road getting less likely.

And if GDDKiA doesn't built the junction, there is no point of building this connecting road by the city. The city cannot build this junction on its own because it would be located out of the city area. And a city is not allowed to invest any money outside of its borders.

But anyway the city should fight. Haven't the government said just a week ago that they found 134 mln PLN extra for the roads? And now, a week later, they say they will save money by not building the most important junctions on a new road.

Even if they don't manage to persuade the government to build all the initially planned interchanges, in my opinion, the minimum is building the Teofilów junction instead of the Konstantynów interchange and building the Aleksandrów junction so, that it will be possible to connect to it the planned road connecting it with the city for a low cost, without demolishing what has just been built.

What do you mean as paving ramps?

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road