daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > South India Projects > Kerala > Kollam

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 12th, 2015, 12:53 PM   #11341
Premraj
Visit Kollam

Likes (Received): 2077

Some projects in Anchal,Kollam by Aartic Homes

Apartment Project

International Convention center

Villa Project

http://aartichomes.com/index.html

Reghu liked this post
Premraj no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 12th, 2015, 02:36 PM   #11342
manu m

Likes (Received): 25

reghu, i might be! what triggered my pessimism is a point that merits consideration. take a tour from the neendakara bridge to kottiyam and what greets your eyes is not a spectacular sight given kollam was one of the first districts when kerala was formed . kollam had a good port, an airfield and a handful of industries triggering growth. where stands the district now?kollam is by far the fourth largest town in terms of urban population and fifth largest in terms of area. Kollam corporation has the third largest budget in terms of revenue and expenditure. have not i a reason or two to be pessimistic about kollam?what is the fate of the ESI medical college?would the promise of a medical college for Kollamites ever be fulfilled?gutted roads , defunct traffic lights, archaic lamp posts , dull buildings .....the sights on either side of the roads are not a consoling feature..go to Thiruvalla , a town having a population in the neighbour hood of 50,000 and see how it has grown vertically and horizontally these days. the town is not even a district capital. it doesnot have any port or proximity to any airport .what has gone wrong with kollam is that kollam has lost the ability to self analyse(pessimism) and rectify the traditional"errors". the list of loss for kollam outweighs the gains, to sum up.
manu m no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2015, 03:07 PM   #11343
kumarktr

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu m View Post
reghu, i might be! what triggered my pessimism is a point that merits consideration. take a tour from the neendakara bridge to kottiyam and what greets your eyes is not a spectacular sight given kollam was one of the first districts when kerala was formed . kollam had a good port, an airfield and a handful of industries triggering growth. where stands the district now?kollam is by far the fourth largest town in terms of urban population and fifth largest in terms of area. Kollam corporation has the third largest budget in terms of revenue and expenditure. have not i a reason or two to be pessimistic about kollam?what is the fate of the ESI medical college?would the promise of a medical college for Kollamites ever be fulfilled?gutted roads , defunct traffic lights, archaic lamp posts , dull buildings .....the sights on either side of the roads are not a consoling feature..go to Thiruvalla , a town having a population in the neighbour hood of 50,000 and see how it has grown vertically and horizontally these days. the town is not even a district capital. it doesnot have any port or proximity to any airport .what has gone wrong with kollam is that kollam has lost the ability to self analyse(pessimism) and rectify the traditional"errors". the list of loss for kollam outweighs the gains, to sum up.

Valid points. This is what i have said before. Our kollam have to move long (other than population) to be equlize with other cities even Kottayam & Kannur.Main problem is that Kollam is not investor friendly from the begining in both private & public compared to other places. For that, our attitude of political leaders should change along with kollamites. Also Manu have to understand that your points shall be mentioned in discussion thread not project thread. Kindly follow it.
kumarktr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2015, 03:13 PM   #11344
Aji Kollam
New Comer

Likes (Received): 117

Quote:

Onnara kilometreil kidakkunna Thiruvalla yumayano comparison?

In a place like Kollam, it is very important to generate job opportunities with better or highrr salaries. If that happens everything will be fine with Kollam.

Kollam is a place with more than 2 lakh workers in the organised sector but with less salary. So it is definite to have such oppositions for any development, as these people are a frustrated lot. Addressing this will help the development of Kollam in a big way. The cashew sector is suddenly machanising and this will also make a hell lot of people jobless.

Give us better job and salary, we will stand with you for developments.
Old August 14th, 2015, 07:16 AM   #11345
manu m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aji Kollam View Post
Onnara kilometreil kidakkunna Thiruvalla yumayano comparison?

In a place like Kollam, it is very important to generate job opportunities with better or highrr salaries. If that happens everything will be fine with Kollam.

Kollam is a place with more than 2 lakh workers in the organised sector but with less salary. So it is definite to have such oppositions for any development, as these people are a frustrated lot. Addressing this will help the development of Kollam in a big way. The cashew sector is suddenly machanising and this will also make a hell lot of people jobless.

Give us better job and salary, we will stand with you for developments.
the sarcastic tone in your statement is an index held up to kollamites face . Thiruvalla has a population just over 50,000 but most big names in commercial sector have outlets or showrooms there.the land mark of kollam is the dull archaic and anachronistic musaliar buildings while thiruvalla has many high rises in a small area. go and see the KSRTC terminal there and draw a comparison with the one in kollam and you would get my message. if you require job and salary ,ask your leaders ,most of them asylum seekers, to work hard for you. kollamites can take heart from how trivandrum has grabbed one of the biggest ports in India while a port in kollam is in its death throes. dont call me a sinner just because i am highlighting the seamy side. i am more sinned against than sinning mate.
Old August 14th, 2015, 08:33 AM   #11346
steffin quilonklm
ska

Likes (Received): 599

Quote:
the sarcastic tone in your statement is an index held up to kollamites face . Thiruvalla has a population just over 50,000 but most big names in commercial sector have outlets or showrooms there.the land mark of kollam is the dull archaic and anachronistic musaliar buildings while thiruvalla has many high rises in a small area. go and see the KSRTC terminal there and draw a comparison with the one in kollam and you would get my message. if you require job and salary ,ask your leaders ,most of them asylum seekers, to work hard for you. kollamites can take heart from how trivandrum has grabbed one of the biggest ports in India while a port in kollam is in its death throes. dont call me a sinner just because i am highlighting the seamy side. i am more sinned against than sinning mate.

please make use of discussion theard for this discussion
Old August 14th, 2015, 09:56 AM   #11347
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Likes (Received): 4394

Manu, there is a limit for negativity. I do not think there is any benefit for Kollam from your negative comments. All the forummers are aware about the actual scenario of Kollam same like you.

Regarding Kollam Port, it is developing now. Moreover, there is no space in Kollam to develop a mother or major port. Kollam requires a decent cargo port and that will be helpful for Kollam and central Travencore region which is nearer to Kollam. A mother port is not required everywhere in the country. Even the port in Mumbai is not a mother port it is a cargo port but a bigger one.

Kerala requires more ports along the coastal line for Cargo movement within Kerala and other states. Hence, ports such as Kodungallur, Ponnani, Azheekkal, and Alleppy are also developed. The port coming up in Vizhinjam is a mother port and its purpose is to help cargo movement to other ports in India and the feeder ports such as Kollam Port or any other ports in Kerala. If you look at Gujarat, there will be one or 2 major ports and a series of minor ports that helps the cargo movement through the curved coast.

So, Kollam Port is emerging and its prospects are going to increase if Vizhinjam becomes active. Infact, the feeder ports and mother port are complimentary.

Regarding your point on Kollam's lack of high-rises, that does not mean Kollam has no basic development. Infact, a city's development is not based on the high-rise building but based on the basic things such as road infrastructure, business prospects, jobs generated through industries etc, etc.. Some of the bigger cities in India compared to Kochi have lesser high-rises than Kochi but that does not mean those cities are not developed ones or inferior to Kochi.

If you agree or not, Kollamaites are confident that Kollam's face-lift and change will be tremendous once the Bypass is completed. The NH-4 laning will also add to the development prospects. Here we are waiting for the good days than raking the negative things in the past.

One request to you, please avoid these negative and pessimistic views atleast in this main thread as it hurts other enthusiastic forummers and nobody wants to read utter pessimism on the trot in our flagship thread. If you really want others to read still, please post it in the discussion thread below:

Kollam Discussions l Moot Projects l Unconfirmed Project News

This is a last request, it is up to you as this is an international forum.

Quote:

Visit:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Reghu; August 22nd, 2015 at 07:31 PM.
Reghu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2015, 05:39 AM   #11348
manu m

reghu, i have every right to be pessimistic, vitriolic, antagonistic , critical, sarcastic and satiric in my tone so long as they are hostile to people friendly policies. dear mate , i see a veiled threat -a sugar coated pill- in the concluding lines of your rebuttal. but i hope for the best and prepare for the worst.
Old August 15th, 2015, 07:11 PM   #11349
Quilonsky
Anonymous

Likes (Received): 387

Quote:
Right from the beginning, I have seen forrummers from newgen towns and cities trying to diminish the importance of Kollam. Kollam, as these people think, is not just Musaliar Buildings. It is a big agglomeration of different towns spread around 10 to 20 Kms.

1. Why Thiruvalla got a spacious KSRTC bus station and a few interstate buses? It is not because of that Thiruvalla is a major hub. It is just because of Mathew T. Thomas. That you know well. Kollam Bus stand has more area and more commercial viability than Thiruvalla. A major commercial building was proposed there. The present government ignored it saying commercially not feasible. RP Mall near the same place runs well. But when it comes to KSRTC, it is not profitable. Is it politics? Also R Balakrishna Pillai has done all that he can do to make Kottarakkara a hub. This diminished the importance of Kollam to a great extent. Do you know that the possible profitable routes like Kollam - Kottarakkara - Thrissur - PGT/CBE/KKD is never considered due to that? Anyway, we got two major bus stations and DTOs here due to that - Kollam and KTR.

2. Kollam has archaic buildings.. I agreed. Kollam is the one of oldest cities in Kerala. How can it be filled with new towers?

3. Thiruvalla gets many apartment projects coz. of that two medical colleges are in its vicinity and NRI investments. Also that Thiruvalla is surrounded by marshy lands which make the town unsuitable for being populated with houses like in Kollam. That accounts for the vertical growth. On the other hand, Kollam like Tvm is a spread city.

4. About ESI Med college....Anyway, though it is not opened. One of the biggest MC buildings in India is there. It is not going to vanish. The government, this or the next will start it. Ofcourse the politics is again playing. But have you ever noticed the Maritime Institute and Institute of Construction academy nearing completion at Chavara?

5. About branded showrooms. May be Kollam is missing one or two. Linen Club, Max, Basics, Raymonds, Van Heusen, Allen Solly, Peter England, Navigator, Derby has got exclusive showrooms there. Jolly Silks, Pulimoottil Silks, MK, Wedland, Seemas, Al Manama etc are big textiles here. Kalyan also has announced one. Regarding super markets, Kollam has its own three chains - Dhanya, Supreme and Al Manama.

6. Regarding proximity to international airport, the city is just 65 Kms away from an international airport. Most possibly, the near future will witness an international airport in the district itself. And about Port... Kollam has a big port (Do you know that it is second after Kochi now?) and it is too close to proposed Vizhinjam Mother Port. And have you ever read that once Vizhinjam port gets operational, there won't be another new port within 100 or 150 Kms. So, the state gets only one port fully owned by it in the south. This makes Kollam a dominant location for passenger traffic and domestic cargo movement.

7. Kollam is the only district in Kollam having 4 NHs arising / passing through it.

8. Kollam is not a pet of the present govt. That is why it lacks a University, a govt. Med College etc. When it came to AIMS, they did not even consider the present ESI Med college or another location. Why? Sheer dull-headed top is trying to push the district and city down. But do you think, it will last ever? Kollam has grown this much without much state govt's aid. It is more of a Pvt. investment district.

Kollam cannot be viewed like you view vertical towns. Keralites have this odd notion of thinking that a city is vertical. If the notion is right, Thiruvalla is bigger than huge cities like Madurai or Trichy......Is it so???? Kollam is lacking nothing except politicians of foresight. If it gets new blood and thinking persons in the place of the present mayor, representatives of state and centre, I am sure the city will boom to new heights. It has unmatched potential due to its natural gifts.

Last edited by Quilonsky; August 15th, 2015 at 07:34 PM.
Quilonsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 11:08 AM   #11350
kuppatakkath

Likes (Received): 127

I have been abstaining from Skyscraper city forums for quite some time now. I am inclined to join here, seeing the obsession of most of the forumers with high rise buildings and erroneous notion that the growth and prosperity of a city is connected with its vertical growth.

First of all let us examine who owns these high rise towers in Kerala, especially residential complexes. Go to any city in Kerala, be it kochi, Kozhikode, Thiruvananthapuram, Thrissur or kannur, especially during the night time. The strange thing that meets your eyes is 80% of these sold out high rise towers are plunged in darkness. The reason is very simple. These are owned by NRI population who already owns a huge palatial independent bunglow some where else. And they purchased these apartments as a means of investment. And they seldom use it. Imagine the depletion of our natural resources to cater to the ego of this miniscule population. And the burden it puts on our pristine nature by way of quarrying and felling trees for building materials for these wasteful towers which are never going to be used. I have no hesitation to say that even from the point of investment this is a poor choice. Knowing the psychology of Malayalees these apartments are going to bring very poor resale value; because no Malayali likes to purchase a used house. And think about the stress and burden these structures would exert on our poor infrastructures in our cities like narrow roads, poor water supply and disastrous waste management system.

I have travelled widely in United States. With the exceptions of a few cities like New york and Chicago most of the other cities do not encourage high rise buildings. Nor do the population prefer to live in those buildings. Of course there may be a quite few high rise towers in down town. They are mostly office spaces. Common man cannot live in down town due to exorbitant rent or real estate price and lack of parking facilities. So most of the cities in US are spread outside the down town, with mostly single storied houses and trade centres. Even their largest retail outlets like walmarts and malls are situated in single storied buildings with sufficient and ample parking lots in front of the buildings.

I am still waiting to see our skyscrapercity members to demand more proper roads, better waste management systems, good water supply, efficient sewage net work, better educational and health care facilities and of course more greenery, open spaces and gardens in our kerala cities, instead of ugly looking high rise towers, which are built violating all the laws of the land including fire safety.
Old August 19th, 2015, 05:33 PM   #11351
canty_kollam

Likes (Received): 47

Comparing US with India is not fair.US has 1/3rd the population and 3 times land.Agreed that civic amenities has to improve to take care of ever burgeoning population and with a densely populated area like kerala independent gated houses are preposterous. What is the solution? Smart Cities we will have to look at technology to solve daily chaotic concerns like Traffic, sanitation,healthcare etc
canty_kollam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 07:12 AM   #11352
nibin

Likes (Received): 64

please go to discussion forum to all these comparing
nibin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 07:15 AM   #11353
nibin

this forum is for posting the confirmed big projects of kollam and updates of projects...i have read all your posts...thiruvallayum aayi kollamthe compare cheyaan mathram e forumthil ullavar athapathicho!
Old August 20th, 2015, 01:29 PM   #11354
one4fun

Salaam to ''kuppatakkath'' and ''canty_kollam''.

I like and agree with your comments.

Kollam forumites are obsessed with concrete high rise buildings. Our politicians in kerala also obsessed with concrete. A perfect example is Sabarimala temple. There is no vision or aesthetic sense. The PWD engineers built a concrete jungle. Government wants to develop kerala like Dubai....They give least importance to protect our nature, terrain and culture. In fact, in tourism map, our USP is the above three.

Of course, we need the infrastructure. Better roads, water, sanitation, electricity etc. But it should be done without destroying the nature. Instead, any development activity in state should enhance the aesthetic beauty of that place. Quality of the construction should be improved. ROB in kollam is a perfect example. There is no straight line borders. If you see the Link road foot paths, its the same. These local contractors have no competence or expertise in their job. All infra structure projects should be given to international companies who has expertise in that field.

Kollam is one of the best towns in India, as far as tourism potential is concerned. But we still lack a master plan to develop this town as a tourist hub. ( Eg: Andhrapradesh. Chandrababu Naidu has appointed a Singapore based company to design and build the new capital city). A skyline should have been planned from beach to Thangassery and by the new link road.

What canty_kollam said is a fact. USA is one of the richest country in the world. It is 4 times larger than India but has only 1/3rd of our population. The vehicles per capita ratio is 809 for 1000 people. Despite of best infrastructure in the world, they struggle with traffic jams, lack of parking lots, emission etc. So we cannot have a US model development plan for India or for Kerala.

We need to focus more on mass public transport facilities like Metro rails, High speed rails, Bus services, Water transport etc. It is impossible in India to have a vehicles per capita ratio of even 100 for 1000 people. As per latest report our vehicles per capita ratio is 18 for 1000 people.(2011 census ).

In kollam, we need atleast a Inner Ring road (NH47 Bypass) from Mevaram to Kavanad and a Outer ring road from Kottiyam to Karunagappally (via kundara). Coastal road from Thangassery to Vizhinjam should be developed to 4 line. ROB should be constructed at Eravipuram-Pallimukku road.
Paravur and Kottiyam should be connected via a road bridge parallel to Rail over bridge at paravur.

All rail lines Kerala ( India too ) should be developed with at least 4 tracks. Dedicated line for Memu and another dedicated line for Goods transport.

Kollam is a small city and the ongoing development activities are minimal. Why do we need so many threads in this forum? It make sense to have multiple threads, If we have so many activities and discussions involved with too many people. But I see only very limited people involved in discussions. I see same names everywhere. Even the forum owner has been disappeared.

Last edited by one4fun; August 20th, 2015 at 09:09 PM.
one4fun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 05:09 PM   #11355
kuppatakkath

Likes (Received): 127

Sorry for continuing in city forum with discussions. It seems canty kollam has missed the gist of my writing. I was not comparing US with India. my points were:

1. The growth of apartments in high rise towers in Kerala cities are not triggered by lack of space to construct independent houses. It is triggered by the tendency of Kerala NRI population purchasing these flats as a mode of investment. They seldom live in these spaces. And a vast majority of them own independent bungalows in other places, most probably in their native village. I personally know a few people who own a bungalow here in Kannur in addition to apartments in Kochi, Calicut and kannur. Just think of the waste of resources including natural resources. One or two of them are my relatives. I would not have written if the high rise towers were triggered by dire necessity.

2. The second point I raised was there are a hundred other urgent needs in our cities other than wasteful apartment towers, which are sold to NRI population especially in Middle East, by the marketing team of builders, brain washing them it is a good investment. In fact it is not. A piece of land any where in Kerala will bring better return than an apartment.

3. Leave alone better roads, waste management system, sewage, health care and education, open spaces and gardens; why dont any body here clamour for at least a hundred comfort stations or public toilets as we call it or rest rooms as Americans call it. Every municipality and Panchayat can definitely find plots for these toilets in any city or village of kerala. They need not acquire any land for these. Assuming a modest toilet will cost Rs.five lacs to construct a hundred public toilets in any of our cities could not cost more than five crores. It is a peanut for any Municipality. Five crores amount to hardly the construction cost of three kilometres road. Hand over these toilets to some migrant labours from other states, who will be only glad to maintain them if they are allowed to collect Re.one per user. The municipality has only to assure continuous supply of water. Just imagine the plight of our sisters working and visiting kerala cities, who are forced to hold till they reach their home. Males can of course urinate against the nearest wall or lamp post like canines.

I am afraid we have skewed and screwed our priorities.
kuppatakkath no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 09:03 PM   #11356
one4fun

kuppatakkath.

These apartments are bought not only by NRI's. Also many residents who wanted to have urban life style and amenities bought it.

Few families I know sold their ancestral properties in the village ( with pond, kaavu and paddy field ) and bought premium apartments in Kochi. ( They were very precise about swimming pool, gym and security guard while searching for the property ). One family is now regretting about that decision, as they have limited freedom in their 'own' apartment. But its impossible to go back. Even if they sell their apartment, they cannot buy their ancestral property back with that money. So the ''investment angle'' in high rise building is just illusion.

Reghu liked this post

Last edited by one4fun; August 20th, 2015 at 09:11 PM.
one4fun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2015, 06:29 AM   #11357
Premraj
Visit Kollam

Path Cleared for Govt's Takeover of ESI Medical College in Kollam

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: The state will get one more medical college at Paripally, near Kollam, with all hurdles cleared for the signing of the MoU between the government and the Employees State Insurance Corporation (ESIC).

The draft MoU has been cleared by the ESIC and sent to the state government for its perusal.

The director of ESIC had on August 19 sent the draft MoU to be executed between the sate government and the ESIC for the transfer of its medical college at Paripally for the government’s approval.

“With the hurdles cleared from the ESIC, it is only a matter of time that the MoU is signed,” said Kollam MP N K Premachandran, who had been in the forefront for getting the medical college.

“I have already told the chief minister that the ESIC has sent the communication. I discussed the matter with the CM and he promised that steps would be taken for signing the MoU this month itself,’’ he said.

Though the hurdles have been cleared for the MC, it is uncertain if the admission could be taken for the 100 seats here as the time for the allotment is almost over.

As per the draft MoU, the medical college will be given to the state on lease for a period of 99 years.

As of now, there is no need for the government to pay the ESIC for taking over the college, 95 per cent of the construction of which is complete.

Out of the estimated budget of Rs 500 crore for the medical college, the Centre has already spent Rs 321.51 crore, which need not be paid back. As per the draft MoU, the ESIC will bear the balance liability such as the construction of hospital/medical college and providing equipment.

The state government has to now give administrative sanction for the creation of various posts in the teaching, non-teaching and administrative departments. As of now, a few faculties have been appointed.

Among the other conditions in the draft, the government should provide services to insured persons and their families at the hospital, consistent with those provided under the ESI Scheme, on cashless basis.

The state should also share 50 per cent of the total revenue from both the medical college and hospital, including fees collected from the students over the year, with the ESIC.

Though the state government can determine the quantum or structure of fee and other charges due from the medical students and hospital charges during the period of lease, the tuition and other fees for the wards of IPs admitted under the ESIC management quota shall be the same as the fees in other ESIC-run medical colleges.

Earlier, the state government was a bit reluctant to take over the medical college.

But it was the persistent effort of Premachandran and a group of doctors that a final decision to take over the college has now been taken.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...cle2985059.ece

Reghu, arun.vr liked this post
Old August 22nd, 2015, 07:21 AM   #11358
Premraj
Visit Kollam

Kollam become part of Make in India

Reghu, steffin quilonklm, arun.vr liked this post
Old August 24th, 2015, 03:58 AM   #11359
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Likes (Received): 4394

City to get relief from one of the major bottlenecks : New Bridge parallel to Iron Bridge inaugration by CM today

Demand for the old Iron Bridge replacement complying to NW-3 norms intensified in the wake of Kollam Port and NW-3 development to facilitate smooth inland waterways cargo movement through Kollam canal.

Source - Manorama

Visit:

arun.vr liked this post
Reghu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2015, 04:20 AM   #11360
nibin

After the inauguration of new parallel iron bridge, the pwd minister not make any road project announcement for kollam..i thought that he will annonunce to start kollam city road development project..when he came kollam for inaugurating sp office flyover he told to kollamites about including kollam also for city road development..and kollam is included now...
he only announced that old iron bridge will demolish and construct a new bridge..