daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > New South Wales

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2014, 03:52 AM   #6301
Brizer

Likes (Received): 1219

Upcoming DAs posted by CULWULLA in GS Town Centre thread this morning, now doctored by me as well:

The Original CUL image:

Added to by me:

Thin green line delineates Town Centre.
Thin white line delineates part of Alexandria intended to join the Town Centre zone as the new suburb of Green Square. I've always wondered why this area, largely derelict and run-down wasn't incorporated into the Town Centre and properly planned along with it. It needs a DCP/Masterplan to prevent ad hoc development of small sites especially as CofS owns a couple of the sites along Botany Road.

Unbelievable amount of action and promised action now happening all over Sydney.
Finally action on Town Centre just when we thought it was moribund PLUS action in sites all around the Town Centre as well.

Last edited by Brizer; November 17th, 2014 at 04:08 AM.
Brizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 17th, 2014, 09:48 AM   #6302
Brizer

1 O'RIORDAN STREET aka 2-18 BOURKE ROAD
Alexandria.

CUL's identifying of a new DA for this site prompted me to dig up from times passed the earlier plans for it.

The earliest plan by Turner & Associates must be from at least ten years ago:

Bourke Road crossing from left to bottom of image at front.

Proposed New Road is still planned as an extension west of Geddes Avenue in the Town Centre, from Botany Road to Bourke Road.

Some preliminary planning of the block bordered by Transport Place & Johnson Street, Botany Road & O'Riordan Street is indicated in the model; I wonder why it wasn't pursued in later plans? Sense would have dictated it should...maybe we'll find out.
One day.

The next plan was submitted in 2009, also designed by Turner:

This is looking sort of south with O'Riordan Street on the left, Bourke Road on the right.

The red hatched area in front of the buildings is the area to be dedicated for roadworks as O'Riordan Street is to swing more sharply to align with Wyndham Street. The section of O'Riordan between Botany Road intersection and Wyndham Street alignment will be resumed to host part of the Transport Place office complex.

Now, let's see what this new DA comes up with and whether the developer can get council to encourage it or block it with red tape and rigid rules as it did to the earlier schemes.
With bated breath as they say...

Last edited by Brizer; November 17th, 2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old November 17th, 2014, 10:11 AM   #6303
chinmi

Likes (Received): 1

These are awesome stuff, really great info.

Briz - do you have details of Emerald City Shopping Centre? I tried to flip back as far as Page 141, but all images are no longer available?
chinmi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2014, 12:52 PM   #6304
Brizer

EMERALD CITY
Alexandria

This design may be 2 yrs or more old by now. There have been no images showing towers that I have seen so we may be in for a nice surprise. I hope.

Architect: SJB Architects

View at intersection of Botany Road (right) & Bourke Street/Road (front) & Wyndham Street (left).

View south across intersection from Bourke Street.

View east on Wyndham Street toward Bourke Road & GS Railway Station/Transport Place.
On the extreme right, the concrete looking roof is the fire department building on the site that is waiting for lodgement of a redevelopment of the site.

I hope this is still the design as earlier ones by other architects were pretty woeful.

Last edited by Brizer; November 17th, 2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old November 19th, 2014, 05:22 AM   #6305
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 1980

DA lodged this week
12-20 Mandible st Alexandria
warehouse? quite interesting structure 23m high.
Old November 19th, 2014, 05:34 AM   #6306
Cariad

Likes (Received): 191

Looks like an indoor skiing building
Old November 19th, 2014, 05:41 AM   #6307
Brizer

Think it might be a bus depot as one exists already about there.

Could be the fire brigade training centre whose current site on the corner of Bourke Road and Wyndham Street is apparently up for redevelopment - see post 6301 above.

The area was recently rezoned from Mixed-Use to B5 Business - to reinforce Council's plans to restrict that area of Alexandria to primarily industrial/employment [and block efforts to develop apartments].
Old November 20th, 2014, 01:49 AM   #6308
upwards

Likes (Received): 1432

According to DA - art storage!

"Partial demolition of the existing warehouse building and alterations and additions for the purpose of creating a private art storage facility"
upwards no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2014, 02:43 AM   #6309
Brizer

Damn, you've done it again, upwards. Great. Keep up the good work! The way things are shaping up there must be a mine of info for you to unearth for us.

Interesting that it is art storage. Very recently there has been an increase in 'artiness' in the area. On Elizabeth at 799 (btwn Bourke St & Joynton Av) there's is the Sullivan & Strumpf Gallery, there is a DA on exhibition for another art gallery at 747 Elizabeth St. & ARTBANK has moved into newer & larger premises at 1/198 Young Street and has opened its own art gallery. Now this. Wonder if it will have an exhibiting space as well?

Can't see enough of the building to decide whether it is an interesting design or merely odd.

Last edited by Brizer; November 20th, 2014 at 04:10 AM. Reason: r perdu
Old November 20th, 2014, 05:48 AM   #6310
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 1980

not sure of materials
here some model pix

Old Today, 11:07 AM   #6311
Viclocal

Likes (Received): 8

Gadigal Avenue Transport Risks

I know I have mentioned this already but there are so many people all over Gadigal road in front of the shopping centre and on Wolseley Grove, that someone is going to get run over SOON unless there is an urgent additional pedestrian crossing or lights.
Please hurry up council. It is so risky to pedestrians but traffic is coming through from three four directions and it is NOT SAFE. Clearly there is an expectation people will cross roads there as there are all the pavement access points everywhere.

Likewise Grandstand Parade and Gadigal is becoming increasingly risky even for cars as line of sight is often obscured by vehicles.

The population density has really increased this year and we need our council to recognise and act upon the risks now.

Many people in the area push strollers and have little children, so there is a greater imperative to act now!
Viclocal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:36 PM   #6312
Brizer

Background: council approved the East Village shopping centre for which the primary access is a small plaza at the junction of Gadigal Ave, Wolseley Grove & Defries Ave. Gadigal Ave and Defries Av are major traffic streets, especially Gadigal. Wolseley Grove has become much busier with the opening of the (looooong awaited) shopping centre.

The final approval for East Village by the CSPC required a set of traffic lights at this intersection of Gadigal/Wolseley/Defries BUT apparently TfNSW objected to lights 'too close' to the set of lights at Gadigal & O'Dea. How awful that drivers might have to negotiate two sets of lights on Gadigal: really getting priorities right there.

Upshot: Council in its wisdom decides no traffic controls needed thus no lights, no zebra crossing = Rafferty's Rules.

With inadequate controls, an influx of shopper laden cars, an extraordinary outburst of really stupid drivers speeding, doing illegal u-turns, driving up the wrong way rather than drive around the block, etc., the intersection has become a serious accident just waiting to happen. Have seen a few really stupid pedestrians doing dumb things as well.

Big local hubbub, much voiced on FoVP fb: phone calls, letters, tweets, texts,etc. to council, direct approaches to councillors, Cr Scott & Cr Mandla have raised the matter in council, locals 'shirtfronted' (or 'button-holed' if you prefer) LM Moore at the (belated) official opening of Mary O'Brien Reserve on Saturday last.
Council will look into it.
Council officers will do a study and recommend action (zebra xings/lights) or reject action any action for the immediate future (isn't that how they phrase it?).

Judgement of locals: BIG FAIL by council.

Time will tell how this turns out, but a sensible council will avoid insulting bureaucratic motherhood statements & remove the proverbial and solve this situation - fast.
Old Today, 12:50 PM   #6313
papervagina
spider inside my dreams

On the positive side, people are walking!
papervagina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:24 PM   #6314
Brizer

Well, some of them - and taking their lives in their hands by such extraordinary physical acts. Close encounters with an Audi or a BMW, as I've discovered a number of times of late, are not health enhancing experiences.
I do have to wonder how some people get their licences; online? Elsewhere? Cornflakes packet?

As The Festive Season (small yawn) rapidly approaches & the time for council to close down for the duration, I am getting increasingly anxious about all those promised DAs making it before the Fat Guy and his annoying jingles descend on us.

Tags
construction, projects, sydney