SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Birtley Morrisons Redevelopment | Gateshead | Various | Completed

36K views 142 replies 10 participants last post by  Ken O'Heed 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
There is a new Morrisons being proposed for Birtley, with a great looking design which is revealed in their newly launched website.

http://www.birtley-morrisons.co.uk/

The store will be built on stilts and include a radical new design for Morrisons.

Really great looking project for Birtley . . .

See less See more
#2 ·
New Morrison Development at Birtley

Great looking new design for the Morrisons Birtley which has launched its new website

http://www.birtley-morrisons.co.uk/

The store will be built on stilts and include a radical new design for Morrisons. Really great looking project for Birtley

Wonder if this has been submitted to Gateshead Planning ??

Have looked numerous ways to find it without success

AND my Norton Security has blocked the link above !!!

KEN

#3 ·
Wonder if this has been submitted to Gateshead Planning ??

Have looked numerous ways to find it without success

AND my Norton Security has blocked the link above !!!

KEN
Yes Ken, my avast did too. I contacted Morbaine about it and they advised me it was because they are collecting data from visitors and told me to refresh or revisit the site. I did so and was able to access.

From what I understand this website is the planning and consultation stage. There have been reps from Morbaine and Morrisons at local meetings and a lot of Q&A sessions and surveys. Overall it seems ot be getting a really positive response. The council itself has bent over backwards to get this deal as it now includes a much larger site including some council works depot land and the public car park

http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/Council.../WorkGoesOnToAttractSupermarkettoBirtley.aspx

#4 ·
Morrison new shopping development at Durham Road, Birtley

Yes Ken, my avast did too. I contacted Morbaine about it and they advised me it was because they are collecting data from visitors and told me to refresh or revisit the site. I did so and was able to access.

From what I understand this website is the planning and consultation stage. There have been reps from Morbaine and Morrisons at local meetings and a lot of Q&A sessions and surveys. Overall it seems ot be getting a really positive response. The council itself has bent over backwards to get this deal as it now includes a much larger site including some council works depot land and the public car park

http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/Council.../WorkGoesOnToAttractSupermarkettoBirtley.aspx

Thanks for that

The major fault with Gateshead Planning Portal is when you get "too many results found" in response to a query

How many times across the Borough in searches I have had need to input "High St"" or in this case "Durham Road" and then in desperation the area name eg " Birtley"

Either way you are "snookered" unless you know the full address and even then knowing that I have had difficulties

In this case I know the address of the existing Morrison store is "34 Durham Road Birtley Chester Le Street DH3 2QH" (from a previous application) so if you do wish to check at later date re Planning Application etc on the new development always input the "full address" or "post code" in the search box and hopefully you will get access to what you require

As always I will be keeping a watch for it (along with all the others)

KEN

#5 ·
Morbaine and Morrisons have submitted plans to Gateshead Council for the new supermarket to be built in the centre of Birtley.

Couldn't see the application on the site myself, just a link to the news story

http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/Council...MITTED-FOR-MAJOR-DEVELOPMENT-IN-BIRTLEY-.aspx

Certainly seems ambitious, raised level 25,000 sq foot with underground parking. Could really make the difference in Birtley.

NH - Not sure if this now deserves its own thread? Construction not likely to begin until June 13

#6 ·
Morrisons new store, Birtley - plaaning application

Morbaine and Morrisons have submitted plans to Gateshead Council for the new supermarket to be built in the centre of Birtley.

Couldn't see the application on the site myself, just a link to the news story

http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/Council...MITTED-FOR-MAJOR-DEVELOPMENT-IN-BIRTLEY-.aspx

Certainly seems ambitious, raised level 25,000 sq foot with underground parking. Could really make the difference in Birtley.

NH - Not sure if this now deserves its own thread? Construction not likely to begin until June 13

Was initially covered in February 2012 on posts #549 - 552

Like you difficult to find on the planning portal - if it is there yet

Will keep looking for it and put it onto here when available

Existing shop address from former application = 34 Durham Road Birtley Chester Le Street DH3 2QH -but may not be address for new development on the planning system

KEN

#7 ·
Was initially covered in February 2012 on posts #549 - 552

Like you difficult to find on the planning portal - if it is there yet

Will keep looking for it and put it onto here when available

Existing shop address from former application = 34 Durham Road Birtley Chester Le Street DH3 2QH -but may not be address for new development on the planning system

KEN
Having now read the Council news release I see the new development is part to be on site of former Somerfield store

From previous planning application that address is "Somerfields 457-459 Durham Road Gateshead NE9 5AB"

KEN

#8 ·
Having now read the Council news release I see the new development is part to be on site of former Somerfield store

From previous planning application that address is "Somerfields 457-459 Durham Road Gateshead NE9 5AB"

KEN
Ken, former address of 34 Durham Road is correct. The store briefly traded as a Sommerfield for a year or so.

The second address if the former Sommerfield, now Co-Op store in Low Fell, albeit also on Durham Road.

#9 ·
Birtley Morrisons would breathe new life into town
by Katie Davies, Evening Chronicle, September 7th 2012

An artists impression of how the new Morrisons store would look

THIS is how a town centre will look like if plans for a new multi-million-pound supermarket are given the go-ahead. Morrisons have submitted plans for the store to be built on the former Somerfield site, in Birtley, Gateshead, which will create 250 new jobs. Four two-storey retail units are also planned for the site, which was also previously used as a Gateshead Council depot.

Birtley has been without a major supermarket since Somerfield closed their doors in 2009 but if the planning application is approved construction work could begin in June next year. The site was originally considered too small for a supermarket, but in 2010 a decision to extend the site into the council depot was given the go-ahead. Morbaine were chosen as the developers.

Speaking on behalf of Morrisons, development executive Andrew Cooper, said: “We are delighted to be working alongside the council and Morbaine to regenerate Birtley town centre.” Council bosses say that more than 270 local businesses and residents attended a public consultation last year and no objections were received.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...-life-into-town-72703-31786723/#ixzz25mghg8Zc

#10 ·
New Morrison Store , Birtley

Ken, former address of 34 Durham Road is correct. The store briefly traded as a Sommerfield for a year or so.

The second address if the former Sommerfield, now Co-Op store in Low Fell, albeit also on Durham Road.
Thanks for confirmation on address

Have just checked the Gateshead Planning Portal for "this week" and nothing there yet in respect the new Morrison store at Durham Rd, Birtley

Assume will appear next week once the application has been "Validated" and put into the planning system

KEN

#11 ·
Redevelopment of site the vacant Somerfield supermarket etc for new Morrisons store etc, Durham Rd, Birtley, planning application

From the Gateshead Planning portal for week beginning 03/09/12:-

DC/12/00980/FUL

Redevelopment of the site of the vacant Somerfield supermarket, the northern part of the public car park and Council depot; comprising demolition of existing buildings, erection of a new supermarket (Class A1 use) with undercroft and surface parking (275 spaces), cycle and motorcycle parking, servicing facilities, pedestrian bridge link to Durham Road over sailing a vehicular access and servicing facilities for premises fronting Durham Road and three new commercial units onto Durham Road (A1/A2/A3 use) all with associated hard and soft landscaping.

Durham Road (Site Including And To The Rear Of Former Somerfield Supermarket) Birtley DH3 1DB

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onli...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=M9VJRWHK09O00

As ever with this Portal some difficulty in getting access into the planning documents so as to provide screen print of drawings etc

KEN

#12 ·
Still no sign of the Morrisons application for Birtley though when I spoke to a local councillor they insisted it had been put in.

Good news for Low Fell, certainly affluent enough to support a better restaurant than it's got at the moment

#15 ·
Couple of things to note as I drove through Birtley that you might catch Ken.

There's still no obvious sign of work on the Morrisons Supermarket but it appears that it won't start until next year. Opportunity for some before/after pictures

The Nationwide Cash Registers showroom (opposite the bowling green) is being converted into a new retail store though I can't find details of it anywhere aside the installation of an external ATM

and on Inskip Terrace the footbridge removal seems to include new landscaping and paving around the war memorial

#16 ·
Not sure if I'm reading it right but the planning committee decision on the new Morrisons Supermarket in Birtley is set for December 19th.

Despite a lot of local engagement there are just 6 public comments on the development and only 3 of those offering support.

#18 ·
Morrison development at Durham Road (Site Including And To The Rear Of Former Somerfield Supermarket) Birtley

Morrisons development in Birtley got the go ahead tonight.

Going to be massive changes in the town and a huge boost for the area.

NH - not sure if its worthy of its own thread. Going to be an exciting development
From Gateshead Planning Portal 21/12/12

DC/12/00980/FUL

Redevelopment of the site of the vacant Somerfield supermarket, the northern part of the public car park and Council depot; comprising demolition of existing buildings, erection of a new supermarket (Class A1 use) with undercroft and surface parking (291 spaces), cycle and motorcycle parking, servicing facilities, pedestrian bridge link to Durham Road over sailing a vehicular access and servicing facilities for premises fronting Durham Road and three new commercial units onto Durham Road (A1/A2/A3 use) all with associated hard and soft landscaping (amended 21/11/12, 30/11/12 and 12/12/12).

Durham Road (Site Including And To The Rear Of Former Somerfield Supermarket) Birtley DH3 1DB

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onli...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=M9VJRWHK09O00

KEN

#20 ·
Morrison development, Durham Rd, Birtley

This being Post #866 of 21/12/12

From Gateshead Planning Portal 21/12/12

DC/12/00980/FUL

Redevelopment of the site of the vacant Somerfield supermarket, the northern part of the public car park and Council depot; comprising demolition of existing buildings, erection of a new supermarket (Class A1 use) with undercroft and surface parking (291 spaces), cycle and motorcycle parking, servicing facilities, pedestrian bridge link to Durham Road over sailing a vehicular access and servicing facilities for premises fronting Durham Road and three new commercial units onto Durham Road (A1/A2/A3 use) all with associated hard and soft landscaping (amended 21/11/12, 30/11/12 and 12/12/12).

KEN
These 2 scanned images of article from the NCJ "evening" paper dated 29/12/12

KEN

#21 ·
It's very odd - Morrisons have already had a store in Birtley and sold it to Somerfield who were not successful there either. Netto was across the road from it and was hugely more popular then it went from one extreme to the other from cut priced food to the Co-Op moving in with over priced food. Now they want to be back. Why did they leave in the first place.

#22 ·
It's very odd - Morrisons have already had a store in Birtley and sold it to Somerfield who were not successful there either. Netto was across the road from it and was hugely more popular then it went from one extreme to the other from cut priced food to the Co-Op moving in with over priced food. Now they want to be back. Why did they leave in the first place.
Some background

Morrisons bought the old Safeway and sold it to Sommerfield because at the time, the store did not meet their size expectation.

When Morrisons took over Sommerfield they initially wanted the Birtley store but wanted to expand. New housing developments and investment in the town were promising. However the Council thought that the site was big enough and wouldn't release any more land.

Fast forward and they realised it wasn't so they included the Council groundworks depot and part of the car park in a bid to attract a supermarket. Lo and behold, it's Morrisons!

Catchment area is good, Ouston and outlying areas with access to Birtley. It'll be bigger than the Chester Le Street Morrisons and Tesco and an alternative to the 2 nearby Sainsburys' at Team Valley (which itself is expanding again) and the Galleries.

Re- Netto. ASDA wanted it but were told by the Competition Commission they couldn't have it despite only having Washington and Metrocentre as a nearer store. So the Co-Op stepped in to buy it (pre- Morrisons announcement) I hear the Co-Op is doing very well

#25 ·
Birtley Morrison development

As we now have separate threads for the developments at Blaydon and Felling and it will not be long before work gets underway at Birtley perhaps it is now time to create its own thread (when you have a spare half hour or more)

I have looked back to post #549 and this is a list of posts associated with the Morrisons development at Durham Rad, Birtley

549, 550, 551, 552, 747, 749, 750, 751, 754, 757, 766, 77, 778, 780, 830, 860, 863, 864, 871, 872, 877, 878, 879, 932, and finally 933

The title that is used on the Gateshead Planning Portal, as covered in post #766 is

DC/12/00980/FUL

I leave it to you what to title the thread - most people seem to call it Birtley Morrisons Redevelopment

Thanks

KEN

#26 ·
As we now have separate threads for the developments at Blaydon and Felling and it will not be long before work gets underway at Birtley perhaps it is now time to create its own thread (when you have a spare half hour or more)

I have looked back to post #549 and this is a list of posts associated with the Morrisons development at Durham Rad, Birtley

549, 550, 551, 552, 747, 749, 750, 751, 754, 757, 766, 77, 778, 780, 830, 860, 863, 864, 871, 872, 877, 878, 879, 932, and finally 933

The title that is used on the Gateshead Planning Portal, as covered in post #766 is

DC/12/00980/FUL

I leave it to you what to title the thread - most people seem to call it Birtley Morrisons Redevelopment

Thanks

KEN

As requested, This new 'Project Thread' started today (posts copied in from 'Gateshead Area - Developments' thread) March 2nd 2013 . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.