daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > European Archives > Urban Archive > Eastern Europe / Balkans

Old February 18th, 2005, 06:07 PM   #1
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 13

70-storey tower for London

Skyscrapers loom for the South Bank
18 February 2005

Seventy-storey residential block one of three towers to rival City skyline

By Robert Booth

London’s South Bank is set to host a new cluster of skyscrapers, including a riverside tower which could boast the nation’s highest living space, 70 storeys in the sky.

Planners and developers have held meetings to discuss three tower developments beside Blackfriars Bridge which would challenge the City’s dominance of the London skyline and create a series of new landmarks for south London. BD has seen early designs of all three.

The centrepiece is an elegant tower, designed by Ian Simpson Architects, which rises to 215m and would contain apartments and a hotel, just 50m from the River Thames.

The building narrows towards the river and has a more slender plan than the other office towers planned.

“It’s not about height, but about creating something beautiful,” said Simpson. “I don’t know where it’s going to end up, but I feel this site could sustain a building like this.”

Until now, only towers housing offices have been proposed at this scale in the UK, but this scheme, developed by the Beetham Organisation, will rival for height schemes such as the 224m office tower on Leadenhall Street in the City, proposed by the Richard Rogers Partnership.

The final design of the building, which is likely to be submitted to planners in August, has yet to be confirmed, and environmental impact tests, essential for a tall building of this scale, have not been carried out.

On the next block south, a second celebrated architect, Wilkinson Eyre, is proposing another tower for quoted developer Land Securities, which looks set to reach about 35 storeys. A planning application for the 176m-high scheme is expected ahead of the Beetham tower and will contain more than 46,000sq m of office space.

The final part in the high-rise jigsaw is a remodelling of the 30-storey King’s Reach Tower —the home of consumer magazine publisher IPC.

Architectural practice Make submitted designs for planning permission at the end of last week that include the demolition of a low-rise block, the construction of a series of mini-towers and the recladding of the main tower.

The area has been earmarked by Southwark council and London’s mayor, Ken Livingstone, as suitable for tall building development; developers believe it could rival the City as a new business hub between Canary Wharf and the West End.

They expect businesses such as publishing, marketing, advertising and niche financial services, as well as some professionals, to relocate from the West End.

Southwark council has a record of supporting tall buildings and awarded planning permission to the tallest building in the country, the London Bridge Tower or Shard, which is due to start on site later this year.

Council officials said they had pulled the three plans together and are considering their impact together during the consultation period.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 18th, 2005, 06:09 PM   #2
Monkey
BANNED

The South Bank

Old February 18th, 2005, 07:23 PM   #3
pricemazda
King of Wishful Thinking

Likes (Received): 914

Which site inparticular?
Old February 18th, 2005, 09:53 PM   #4
Monkey
BANNED

Beetham's 70 storey tower is in blue. The other tower by Wilkinson Eyre is represented in green.

I think both these towers have an excellent chance of going ahead. Southwark Council are very welcoming to tall buildings (they approved London Bridge Tower, amongst other projects), and Beetham have a great reputation as demonstrated by their towers in Manchester, Birmingham and Liverpool. I think this location is superb and won't interfere with St Paul's or any other sightlines (other than blocking the view of Tower 42 from the London Eye!). If this goes ahead it will start a whole new cluster.

Old February 19th, 2005, 01:03 AM   #5
Monkey
BANNED

Old February 19th, 2005, 01:07 AM   #6
pricemazda
King of Wishful Thinking

Which one is Beetham? I have my doubts whether the blue one will be built, it is very tall for the area its in.
Old February 19th, 2005, 01:09 AM   #7
Monkey
BANNED

Old February 19th, 2005, 01:11 AM   #8
Monkey
BANNED

Beetham is blue, Wilkinson Eyre is green.
Old February 19th, 2005, 01:22 AM   #9
pricemazda
King of Wishful Thinking

Then, I doubt it will get built or remain that height.
Old February 19th, 2005, 01:46 AM   #10
Monkey
BANNED

Well, these are the facts ...
  • The towers lie in an area that has been specifically designated as suitable for high-rise buildings.
  • Southwark Council are very welcoming to tall buildings (they approved LBT, for instance)
  • Beetham have an excellent reputation when it comes to building high rises (look at their towers in Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool and elsewhere). They tend to build what they propose.
  • These projects would massively contribute to the regeneration of the South Bank. There is huge demand for residential housing in this area (just think how many apartments a 70-storey tower could hold), and the other tower along with King's Reach redevelopment would form a new business centre for the publishing/media/advertising sectors.
  • The site has already been demolished and cleared, and would be ready for immediate construction. No waiting around for tenants to leave, etc.
  • There are excellent transport links near these sites.

Also, I don't think these towers would impact on historic views of St Paul's. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old February 19th, 2005, 01:50 AM   #11
pricemazda
King of Wishful Thinking

i think everything you have said is right. I just have my doubts on this.
Old February 20th, 2005, 08:56 PM   #12
Munch

Likes (Received): 1

the view from the monument, and from St. Pauls makes this area alreadyseem highrise prone, thanks to the Kings reach tower.

i cant wait until seeing actual renders, remember the tallest one is also very light, so it may not seem as obstructive once it is revealed....... i better be good!
Munch no está en línea   Reply With Quote