SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Official Liverpool Thread

3M views 25K replies 428 participants last post by  Howie_P 
#1 ·
We still need one of these.

There are so many relevant events, news stories and other piece of information that do not relate to any individual building or project, but which are relevant to the development of Liverpool, its city region and the wider bay area, which need to be discussed.

These matters are not those suitable for a skybar. They need to be in the main city subforum, as they are in the other city subforum.

B4mmy, stickify this please.

#2 ·
We still need one of these.

There are so many relevant events, news stories and other piece of information that do not relate to any individual building or project, but which are relevant to the development of Liverpool, its city region and the wider bay area, which need to be discussed.

These matters are not those suitable for a skybar. They need to be in the main city subforum, as they are in the other city subforum.

B4mmy, stickify this please.
Agree with you Awayo,the article you've just posted on the Skybar is the type of thing that should be there.

#5 ·
Thanks for the vote of confidence Kung. Together, we will prevail.
I think I agree with that. It's not just "Buildings" and "Bullshit" on here is it?
Possibly the most important and fun aspect of this forum concerns the myriad of complex issues around the buildings and around groups of buildings, developmental issues, etc etc.

Between the "B&B" it's the grey in the middle which is where a lot of the substance is.

I know it's possibly my laziness here (and all thanks to Bam for having a go) but I'm ever so slightly confused by this new set-up to be honest.

#7 ·
Yes, like you, Villi, I'm not getting it. Bams has frozen my new skybar thread, suggesting that one should open a new thread every time, you want to let people know about utter shite like Purple Aki's latest antics.

Therefore, the Beacon really is that, a total shithouse designed for bullshit.

In which, case we need to get all interesting threads on the media, government, regionalism, planning, heritage back onto the main forum. Which is what I've suggested, of course.

I'm not sure who it was who was PMing Bammy and suggesting that the new set up is a good idea. Either Bammy got the wrong end of the stick or the suggestions made to him were awry. In any case, I don't think the new format is going to work.

#8 ·
St Helens Rugby stadium to transform town
Jun 28 2007 by Luke Traynor, Liverpool Echo

THIS is the first picture of the new multi-million pound stad-ium planned for rugby world club champions St Helens.

The Saints new 18,000-capacity home forms part of the biggest regeneration plan in the town’s history and was being unveiled today.

The long-awaited blueprints were finally revealed for the stadium on the derelict 46-acre former United Glass site.

The huge scheme includes a revamp of current ground Knowsley Road and the town centre.

The Saints’ historic home for 116 years will be bulldozed and replaced with flats or houses to create a “high quality” residential area.

The new stadium, a mix of seating and terraces, will incorporate a Tesco Extra superstore.

The town’s current Tesco in Chalon Way will be transformed into a complex of new shops.

St Helens council leader Brian Spencer said: “The proposed development will bring a range of benefits, not just to our own borough but to the region in general, bringing massive investment and jobs.”

The proposals are subject to planning permission. An application was first lodged with St Helens council yesterday.

If the scheme is approved, the club could play its first game at the new stadium in the 2010 season.

Today’s announcement is the result of four years’ work involving the club, council, developer Langtree Group plc, Tesco and housebuilders Taylor Woodrow.

Saints’ chairman Eamonn McManus said: “A new stadium will give fans a far more enjoyable match-day experience and will allow the club to expand its community and youth development activity.

“It will also play a key role in helping us to continue to attract world-class rugby league players to St Helens.”

Langtree managing director John Downes said: “This is the product of a lot of hard work. The result will be a fantastic new development with the new Saints stadium as its centrepiece.”

Historic Knowsley Road . .

KNOWSLEY Road has been the home of St Helens RLFC since 1890 and is one of the most famous grounds in rugby league.

The ground has a capacity of 17,500 and consists of four areas of open terracing and one seated area.

The popular side of the ground contains the famous “scaff”.

It was given a facelift at the beginning of the 2006 season when the club’s new sponsorship deal with Earth Money was struck.

The ground was recently approved as an international test venue after safety and capacity improvements and hosted an international test fixture in 2006 between Great Britain and New Zealand.

St Helens Town FC also play their home fixtures at Knowsley Road.

#9 ·
I don't understand why, on the initial page you still get some construction threads, but you have to click one of two options: Projects and Construction option, (the other option one being The Beacon) to see the rest???

Dunno, don't really like this this splitting-up of stuff. I personally was perfectly able to trawl through threads to find the ones I wanted under the old system. It wasn't that hard.

#10 ·
St Helens Rugby stadium to transform town
Jun 28 2007 by Luke Traynor, Liverpool Echo

THIS is the first picture of the new multi-million pound stad-ium planned for rugby world club champions St Helens.

Langtree managing director John Downes said: “This is the product of a lot of hard work. The result will be a fantastic new development with the new Saints stadium as its centrepiece.”
Cheers Paul. Good for Sntelens. However, I note that St Helens too may be getting a new Debenhams. That's in addition to the new one in Wigan and the existing ones in Chester and Southport, not mentioning Preston, the Trafford Centre and Manchester.

Liverpool One needs to start getting some USPs fast if it is going to bring people back into the city from surrounding towns for shopping.

#11 ·
...we need to get all interesting threads on the media, government, regionalism, planning, heritage back onto the main forum. Which is what I've suggested, of course.
Hear Hear! It is absurd and a bit insulting to designate such discussions as being "skybar material". Why should I bother posting 500 informed and well considered words on regeneration only to see them plonked next to "my cat has scabies" or suchlike?

Bammy, the principle could work fine - if Martin really can't be arsed scrolling down one page or two to find his precious "construction" threads, then a sub-forum for him is fine by me. He is a major contributor here and is entitled to have his opinions heard, and I'd hate to think of him getting sore fingers from having to scroll past irrelevant threads about scabies or regeneration. But... the "beacon" has expanded to cover urbanism topics, and that is really poor in my opinion.

I'm not at all happy with this.

There was not - as you imply on the locked thread - "anarchy" as an alternative to you. That is a straw man - it was the Manchester forum rather than this one that was in trouble and that made the recruitment of a new mod necessary. And neither to I think the sensible option is for you to resign if we don't all agree with you on everything! I welcome you as mod, I think you will be great - but part of your being a great mod is listening to us when we say we don't like the way an innovation is working out. You can't say "Ok, I'll go and anarchy will result" whenever we disagree with you about something, that is no better than a mod who doesn't even pretend to want to listen. I know that you do want to listen, and I think others do also.

I'm all for giving the new strucutre a fair go, but as part of that I'm saying - as are others - that serious urbanism threads don't belong in this new skybar area, called The Beacon.

#12 ·
That's all I am saying, as well. Marty's new construction thread forum is sensible.

However, the separation of the rest into a proper forum and a skybar, with most of the meaty topics in the main section having been moved from the there to a section that, being a skybar, will fill with threads entitled, "Purple Aki bummed Accy!" and the like, is a bad idea.

Otherwise everything will work, including the Beacon. All we need is for serious topics, relevant to the future development of the city to stay in the main section. Along with this revived Official Liverpool Thread, stickyfied.

#13 · (Edited)
Taken from the Ministry website - I gather she is the new "Minister for the North West". http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page12189.asp

In the old days, of course, there was a "Minister for Merseyside". Now Merseyside / Greater Liverpool doesn't even had its own MEPs, being represented by Mancunians in the main for the regional "North West" constituency.

If this carries on, Liverpool will be unable to defend its interests at all, and will be progressively dismantled as a viable city. Liverpool needs its own regionalist version of the SNP or Plaid Cymru - a party that promises to fight for its interests and give the city region the autonomy it needs from its rivals who seek to destroy its infrastructure and capabilities.

Minister for Children, Young People and Families:
RT HON Beverley Hughes MP

Responsibility
Beverley Hughes has overarching responsibility for children, young people & families policy and the Every Child Matters programme, including leading work across government and working closely with the new Social Exclusion Minister. She will chair the departmental safeguarding board and maintain an overview of all areas.

Every Child Matters: strategy, change & performance

Local Govt Policy & Children's Trusts
ECM Deep Dives (and Cabinet Office review of ECM/Schools)
Inspection & Intervention
Govt offices & field forces
Commissioning & Market Development
Knowledge for Improvement
DfES/HMT Thematic Review of Children's Services
Finance
Sure Start, Early Years & Childcare

Delivery of the 10 Year Childcare Strategy
Extended Schools
Children's Centres
Childcare Bill
Early Learning & Development
Childcare Market Development
Youth Matters Strategy - policy development & implementation (including YOC)

Integrated & targeted support

"Respect" (including National Parenting Academy and respect parenting work)
Teenage Pregnancy strategy/PSA
Liaison with new Social Exclusion Ministers on teenage pregnancy & in preparation of LAC Green Paper
Chair of Departmental Safeguarding Board
Oversight of safeguarding issues and lead on response to serious case reviews and critical child protection incidents

Delivery of Looked After Children Green Paper (for Sept 06)

Workforce

Children's & early years workforce reform
Children's Workforce Development Council
Common Assessment Framework & Lead Professional
Information Sharing Index
Every Child Matters Communications strategy

Overview of the implementation of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child

Biography
Beverley was educated at Ellesmere Port Girl’s Grammar School. She went on to graduate with a BSc (Hons) from Manchester University in 1971, where she also graduated with an MSc for her postgraduate research into the care of people with schizophrenia in 1978. She undertook postgraduate professional training at Liverpool University and subsequently worked as a probation officer in Merseyside. From 1978 to 1997 she was a lecturer, senior lecturer and subsequently head the Department of Social Policy at Manchester University. Beverley is married with three children who all attended local primary and secondary schools, and lives in Trafford, Manchester.

In 1986 Beverley was elected Councillor for the borough of Trafford, and went on to become leader of the Labour Group in 1992, and Trafford Borough Council Leader in 1995.

In 1997 Beverley was elected MP for Stretford and Urmston. From June 1997 to July 1998 she served as a member of the Home Affairs Select Committee until her appointment as Parliamentary Private Secretary to Hilary Armstrong, Minister for Local Government and Housing. In July 1999 the Prime Minister appointed her to the Government as Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State in the Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions, with responsibility for local government, regions, regeneration, planning and construction.

Following the general election in 2001, Beverley was appointed as Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Prisons and Probation in the Home Office and took through the emergency Crime and Anti-Terrorism legislation, passed in December 2001 following the events of September 11th. In the Cabinet re-shuffle of May 2002 she was appointed Minister of State for Immigration, Citizenship and Counter Terrorism.

Following the general election in 2005, Beverley was appointed Minister of State for Children, Young People and Families at the Department for Education and Skills.

When Beverley is being introduced at events, she prefers a very short biography, such as:

Before entering Parliament in 1997, Beverley Hughes had a number of careers as a probation officer, academic and Local Councillor, becoming leader of Trafford Metropolitan Council in 1995. She was appointed Parliamentary Private Secretary in 1998 and Minister for Local Government and Housing in 1999. At the Home Office, she was Parliamentary under Secretary of State for Prisons and Probations and the Minister of State for Immigration, Citizenship and Counter – Terrorism. In 2005 she was appointed Minister of State for Children, Young People and Families at the Department for Education and Skills.

#14 ·
Civil Justice Centre tenants

I can't find the old exchanges on that topic, it was only a couple of weeks ago - where has the old "official Liverpool thread" gone?

Anyway, to recap, we learned that the splendid new Civil Justice Centre in Manchester is not just courts, but is to house regional head office functions for the new Department of Justice. I said I would write to them to ask if they had considered other locations, including Liverpool, in planning their move to this building. I have received the following response. I have written back requesting clarification, as it looks to me as though they gave no consideration whatsoever to other locations. This to me speaks of bad Government, as whenever people relocate offices they should be actively considering whether they are in the best possible location. They should be looking at overall regional priorities (which include building up the professional services and administrative functions in Liverpool) and costs (and it is less costly to rent premises and recruitment costs are likely to be lower because it is a slacker labour market than Manchester).

"Thank you for your e-mail which has been passed to this office for
reply.

The North West Regional Office for Her Majesty's Courts Service has
been established since the introduction of the Courts' Act in 1972 and has
always been located in Manchester. The office will be moving premises
into the new Civil Justice Centre as the Region are looking to
rationalise the estate and other Ministry of Justice offices in central
Manchester will also move to the new building. We are not creating any new
offices.

The North West Region is split into 3 Areas: Cheshire & Merseyside;
Cumbria & Lancashire and Greater Manchester. The Cheshire & Merseyside
Area Director is based in Liverpool and, again, that office has been
established there since 1972.

I hope this clarifies the situation"

#20 ·
Rubbish! Or the lack of it. A rare thing in a photo of central Liverpool sadly. Or something else?
Congratulations you win er... the moral victory!

I honestly couldn't believe how clean the streets looked. I walked the length of Lord Street then Church Street and didn't see more than 3 pieces of litter. Plus I saw two people actually using those 'stub your butts' bits on the top of bins to put out their ciggarettes.

It was such a great feeling to be walking along clean streets in a busy city centre, especially Liverpool! It obviously helps having the shiney clean new paving, but the lack of litter is still very evident. I just hope that this is the start of a new trend for the city, it's much easier to convince people to keep something clean when it starts clean, and it's harder (for most people) to throw litter on a completely clean street.

I was so impressed I even emailed the council to congratulate them, which shows how stongly I feel about this issue... now there's a first! :lol: