SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Official Liverpool Thread

3M views 25K replies 428 participants last post by  Howie_P 
#1 ·
We still need one of these.

There are so many relevant events, news stories and other piece of information that do not relate to any individual building or project, but which are relevant to the development of Liverpool, its city region and the wider bay area, which need to be discussed.

These matters are not those suitable for a skybar. They need to be in the main city subforum, as they are in the other city subforum.

B4mmy, stickify this please.

#81 ·
If anyone's interested you can read an entire book on Liverpool's history online:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/21324/21324-h/21324-h.htm#startoftext

Title: Recollections of Old Liverpool

Author: A Nonagenarian

'This eBook is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with
almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or
re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included
with this eBook or online at www.gutenberg.org'.

#82 ·
According to ONS Liverpool's population has fell 8,000 since the 2004 estimate.Back in 2003 the council had released figures stating for the first time in more than a generation(more like 50 years) the city had seen a rise in population,albeit a small one ,this one seen as a turning point in the city fortunes and the council announced the figure with a fanfare.Last year councillor Bradley claimed the city's population was still increasing and he hoped eventually it would rise to the 500,000 figure. Strange then that nobody has told the council about these latest figures. In 2005 i contacted housing officer Richard Kemp about the potential population decrease that would ensue if the New Heartlands/Pathfinder programme was carried out on the scale envisaged. In exchange of e-mails over several days with Mr Kemp he insisted there would be no population loss to the city. It's pretty clear now with New Heartlands in full swing people of this city are being moved out,not necessarily people in social housing but home owners who have issued with CPO's in the thousands. There is gross mismangement in this city at every level,self serving politicians of all parties and an incompetent civil service,there needs to be government intervention in Liverpool at the senior echelons ,there's no other alternative.

#83 ·
Bond with China set to strengthen thanks to Shanghai link
Sep 27 2007 by Alistair Houghton, Liverpool Daily Post

THE organisers of a visit to Liverpool by a high-powered delegation from Shanghai say they are confident it will lead to more Chinese investment in Merseyside.

The visit is being co-ordinated by the Liverpool-Shanghai Partnership (LSP) as part of the twinning arrangement between the two cities. It follows an earlier visit to Shanghai in July by a delegation of Liverpool businessmen and city leaders.

Yesterday the delegation met Liverpool City Council’s leader Warren Bradley and chief executive Colin Hilton. Today the Chinese visitors will tour the Pier Head, the commercial district, the Albert Dock and Mathew Street, as well as meeting representatives from the Bibby Line Group and Liverpool Vision.

Luo He Qing, of the Shanghai Foreign Investment Development Board, said he was “enormously impressed” with Liverpool’s development.

LSP spokesman Dr Kerry Brown said: “Liverpool is hugely privileged to have this twinning relationship which gives us a substantial advantage over other British cities trading with China.

“Our relationship presents massive investment and export opportunities for both Liverpool and Shanghai blazing a trail into the future.

“Liverpool is ideally placed to become the gateway to not only Britain but Europe for Shanghai’s ambitious, powerful and ever-growing business community.”

#84 ·
Reminder for this weekend if anyone's planning on going.

THE River Mersey will play host to the fast and the furious this weekend as Liverpool welcomes the world’s largest offshore powerboat championship.

Among the 40-strong fleet taking part in the final two rounds of the Honda Formula 4-Stroke Powerboat Series is a Liverpool team nearing the end of its first season at a respectable fifth place.

One of the team’s drivers for the Saturday event, in which boats will reach speeds of over 70mph, is Martin Campbell, who got behind the wheel of a powerboat for the first time last week.

Mr Campbell, 28, from Wirral, says he has always been a fan of powerboats. He went to a race as a spectator a few weeks ago, decided to take the plunge, and bought a stake in Team Williams.

“I have been thrown in at the deep end and I am petrified,” said Mr Campbell, who runs a skip company in Wirral.

“I want to do well, but I will be happy if I complete the race in one piece.”

Mr Campbell will be competing in the 150hp category, while his team-mate, Scott Williams, of Oxton, Wirral, will be driving Team Williams’ 225hp boat.

Mr Williams, a surveyor for Wirral Roofcare, has been powerboat racing since he was 12. After taking a break from the sport for some years, he joined the Honda series at the start of the season.

He is hoping Team Williams’ relative success in its first year will attract sponsorship for next year to help with running costs.

He said: “It’s not a cheap hobby but it’s worth it because the adrenaline rush is amazing. The boats get so close to each other, you could reach out and touch the other drivers. It’s hard work but the thrill is something else.

“I can’t wait to compete in my home city. It would be great if one of the teams got a podium position. I am hoping the conditions will be really choppy.”

Local knowledge will be an advantage in the race, which is the only city centre venue on the calendar, and is expected to be the series’ closest of the season.

The course, which can be seen from the Albert Dock, will be a combination of fast straights and tight corners. It’s the second year running the Mersey has staged a Honda powerboat race.

Martin Sanders, general manag- er of Honda UK Power Equipment, said: “We’ve had a phenomenal action-packed race season so far.

“Liverpool is the perfect place to host the finale, and what a finale it promises to be.”

The Albert Dock will also host the Honda RYA Youth RIB Champion of Champions event on Saturday.

Leader of Liverpool Council Cllr Warren Bradley said: “We look forward to welcoming the Honda Formula 4-Stroke Series back to Liverpool.”

“The historic Mersey waterfront will once again provide a superb backdrop for what promises to be a really great weekend.”

With nearly 40 teams competing, there will be two races on both Saturday and Sunday. Spectators can watch free from the river bank.

The sea wall provides an excellent vantage point.

The races begin at noon on Saturday and 12:30pm on Sunday.

#85 ·
THE River Mersey will play host to the fast and the furious this weekend as Liverpool welcomes the world’s largest offshore powerboat championship.

The races begin at noon on Saturday and 12:30pm on Sunday.
Should be good, would love to have a go in one of those speedboats, I will probably pop down there to get a few photos.

#86 ·
If anyone's interested you can read an entire book on Liverpool's history online:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/21324/21324-h/21324-h.htm#startoftext

Title: Recollections of Old Liverpool

Author: A Nonagenarian

'This eBook is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with
almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or
re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included
with this eBook or online at www.gutenberg.org'.
Thanks Portobello, that is a great link - I don't find books easy to read because the print is so small, but files like this, I can increase the text size and read them whilst listening to the internet radio, what could be better?

#87 ·
According to ONS Liverpool's population has fell 8,000 since the 2004 estimate.Back in 2003 the council had released figures stating for the first time in more than a generation(more like 50 years) the city had seen a rise in population,albeit a small one ,this one seen as a turning point in the city fortunes and the council announced the figure with a fanfare.Last year councillor Bradley claimed the city's population was still increasing and he hoped eventually it would rise to the 500,000 figure. Strange then that nobody has told the council about these latest figures. In 2005 i contacted housing officer Richard Kemp about the potential population decrease that would ensue if the New Heartlands/Pathfinder programme was carried out on the scale envisaged. In exchange of e-mails over several days with Mr Kemp he insisted there would be no population loss to the city. It's pretty clear now with New Heartlands in full swing people of this city are being moved out,not necessarily people in social housing but home owners who have issued with CPO's in the thousands. There is gross mismangement in this city at every level,self serving politicians of all parties and an incompetent civil service,there needs to be government intervention in Liverpool at the senior echelons ,there's no other alternative.

Population estimates are in chaos, and ONS are in danger of losing credibility. Some of it is very difficult, however, especially migration figures. My suspicion is that the population of the city of Liverpool has stabilised, and that might mean a year-on-year increase/decrease of a couple of thousand. We'll see in the next Census what has happened, but I'm confident that will show a rise over 2001, and I think the population is probably rising now, albeit slowly. Compared to the massive loss of population in the 1980s and 1990s, this is all good news.

The country desperately needs proper population data, that are based on administrative records (eg National Insurance, National Health Service data, Council Tax data etc) rather than a crude count once a decade followed by estimates. It's a crazy way to plan and fund services.

As regards local government competence, I see Liverpool is currently recruiting three senior managers (Assistant Directors I think) and will probably get a superb crop of candidates for posts at that level (which pay in excess of £90k a year): I wish I was in the field for that kind of job, but better people are so I don't think you should worry too much on those grounds. It's political leadership that has been weak and that is a worry, in my opinion.

#88 ·
I see Liverpool is currently recruiting three senior managers (Assistant Directors I think) and will probably get a superb crop of candidates for posts at that level (which pay in excess of £90k a year): .
If recent recruitments are anything to go by then I'm not at all confident. There was arsehole Henshaw (see my avatar), that silly cow from Australia who was recruited for CofC related stuff; these wankerist consultants managing CofC. Liverpool City Council has a recent hand in dreadful recruitments, even at the vulgar levels of the pay scale.

And yes, political leadership is also slightly worrying at times.

But maybe things are getting better now; perhaps lessons have been learned?

#89 ·
If true then the above is truly alarming.
When one considers the huge increase of east European residents in the city then the population drop must be even greater than you suggest.

#91 ·
Loyd Grossman Q&A

Grossman’s own interest in heritage came from his upbringing in the historic environment of Boston, and he has continued to pursue that interest through his career, working as an architectural journalist, most notably for Harpers and Queen. His alliance with the North-west came about purely by chance some 10 years ago, although he made his first forays to Liverpool in the 1970s as a student. Now he is helping to shape both the city and the region’s cultural future. Here’s how....
http://www.regeneratelive.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=697&storycode=3081831

#92 ·
This one was flagged up on the Planning Explorer last week so the DP/Echo is a few days behind as normal -

Urban outfitter Joy to open in Liverpool

Oct 2 2007 by Larry Neild, Liverpool Daily Post

A FASHION chain famed for attracting queues of scantily-clad shoppers is to open a new branch in Liverpool city centre.

Brixton firm Joy, described as an urban outfitter, will open its 25th branch in mid-November in the historic Lyceum building on Bold Street, taking over the area previously used as the post office.

Shopfitters are currently working at the building to prepare the store for its opening.

Joy has attracted publicity by offering free outfits of clothing to the first 25 people in their opening day queues who wear just their underwear.

The growing chain was started by designer Maureen O’Brien and her husband Girish Chadha and boasts a number of A-list celebrity customers, including singer Daniel Beddingfield and Keira Knightley who has worn one of their dresses.

In just eight years the couple have developed a business with a multi-million pound turnover. They seek locations close to busy stations, attracting people going to and from work looking for quirky gifts and stunning clothes.

The Lyceum store, outside Central Station, fits in with O’Brien and Chada’s stategy for locations.

A spokeswoman for Joy said: “We are delighted to be coming to Liverpool with what will be our 25th store.

“We search the world for quality fashions and then buy in small quantities so that customers are unlikely to see other people where the same outfits.

“We regard ourselves as a lifestyle store because as well as clothing and accessories we sell household items, gifts and we are famed for our greeting cards.”

Joy is aimed at the 25-45 age bracket. The Lyceum opened in 1800 as a gentlemen’s club, catering for business people escaping smoke-filled coffee houses and boasted slavery abolitionists among its membership.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk...tter-joy-to-open-in-liverpool-64375-19879037/

~~~~~~~

Good to see the classy retailers coming in! :lol:

#94 ·
...a thought on these population figures.

Given that the amount of people going to University has risen every year, whilst the amount of University places in the city has been fairly stable for the past couple of years, is it not fairly predictable that resultant increase the amount of people leaving the city to study elsewhere might help explain these figures?

#95 ·
...a thought on these population figures.

Given that the amount of people going to University has risen every year, whilst the amount of University places in the city has been fairly stable for the past couple of years, is it not fairly predictable that resultant increase the amount of people leaving the city to study elsewhere might help explain these figures?
Interesting point. The census is the measure that is least vulnerable to methodological artefacts. Not sure but I think the next one is in 2011 - that will be a good time to assess the extent to which the city's population is rising/falling. Subjectively there seem so many more people about than 5 years ago and all those flights from Eastern Europe - there must be over a thousand people arriving every week, I wonder how many go back? Not many (I hope).

#96 ·
Stars hope lottery grant will secure £40m Shakespeare theatre for Mersey
Oct 4 2007 by Nick Coligan, Liverpool Echo

HOLLYWOOD stars today threw their weight behind a £38.5m plan to recreate a Shakespearean theatre on Merseyside.

Oscar winners Dame Helen Mirren and Vanessa Redgrave, Children Of Men star Clive Owen, and Star Trek legend Patrick Stewart have signed up as patrons of the Shakespeare North project.

The scheme would see the renowned Elizabethan Cockpit theatre recreated in Prescot in the 14th century home to the country’s very first purpose-built indoor playhouse.

Other screen stars signed up to the plan include Liverpool-born actress Alison Steadman, and The Royle Family’s Sue Johnston, who grew up in Prescot.

Former Mersey TV boss Phil Redmond, Liverpool scriptwriter Jimmy McGovern and film producer Trudie Styler, married to singer Sting, complete the list.

The celebrities and more than 1,300 theatre fans hope to prove to lottery officials the Shakespeare North proposal has huge public support.

They will find out if the scheme has beaten 22 other projects to a £25m lottery grant by the end of November.

If successful the recreated Cockpit could provide a venue for the country’s best Shakespearean productions and attract huge numbers of tourists into Merseyside.

Shakespeare North director David Thacker, an award-winning TV and theatre director, said: “This is an extremely exciting and nerve-racking time for everyone.

“We cannot underestimate the impact a development like this would have on Prescot, Knowsley and Merseyside.

“It has everything – history, culture, architecture, regeneration and the arts.

“It will create jobs, revitalise the area, attract tourism, provide new community facilities and give everyone access to theatre, performance, cinema and heritage.”

Experts believe William Shakespeare lived and worked in Prescot at some stage.

The playwright was in close contact with the Earl of Derby’s family at Knowsley Hall.

If the project secures lottery funding, the theatre development will focus on an historically authentic recreation of Inigo Jones’s Cockpit-in-Court built in 1629.

It would also house a cinema, dance studio, experimental theatre, rehearsal rooms, exhibition space, cafe, bar and restaurant.

Mr Thacker added: “We face a complex challenge to create somewhere that people will get on a plane to visit but that local people will also see as the heart of their community.

“I am confident we can find that balance.”

Knowsley council leader Ron Round said it would be “one of the greatest days in Knowsley’s history” if the lottery bid succeeded.

“We can only marvel at the benefits this project could bring for residents and businesses right across the region.

“It would be an extremely valuable community facility which would also attract tourists to our area.”

RESIDENTS can meet some of the patrons and trustees of the Shakespeare North project at a community event this weekend.

The latest architect’s models will be on show and a display detailing Shakespeare’s relationship with north Merseyside.

The event takes place at the Community Church, Kemble Street, Prescot, on Saturday October 6 from 2pm-4pm.

#97 ·
Just a quick point from a member new to 'The Pool'.
Surely i'm not by myself in noticing a Kestrel or some sort of bird of prey crying out every 30 seconds on Whitechapel? I presume it's fake and its only purpose is to deter seagulls from gathering around there?
Whatever the case, it's incredibly irritating!

#100 ·
Culture city stages euro summit

Extract>All European Capital of Cultures from 2007 to 2011 will attend a special conference in Liverpool this week.

The UK's representative city in 2008 has invited cultural leaders from 10 cities to discuss and examine Liverpool's preparations and programme, details of which were unveiled last week.

A day-long seminar will be held in St George's Hall on Friday, October 5 with topics ranging from EU Funding to how being Capital of Culture can address social inclusion agendas.

Liverpool is seen as one of the most successful in the European Capital of Culture network in attracting commercial sponsorship - it has 11 Official Partners; recruiting volunteers - it has almost 1,000; and developing a Welcome programme - training thousands in customer service.

More Here >http://www.liverpool.gov.uk/News/newsdetail_2267.asp
kat:)