SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Penang-Butterworth Underwater Tunnel

79K views 307 replies 57 participants last post by  han29 
#1 ·
What is the status of the Penang-Butterworth Underwater Tunnel after the MOU which was signed with a Chinese company on 28th April last year? It has been almost a year now.

#211 ·
Sadly many here will resort to name calling and insult others when they can't even have a principled stand on what is right. People who oppose injustices are branded bigots or worse. Nothing new, nothing new.

Raub, so do you also have a condescending term for other minorities in this country? Like how you term Khaw as '*****'?

And SgWay, how come you don't think that Raub is a bigot, especially since he called Khaw a *****? That is ok but opposing Penang's international airport to be in Kedah is tantamount to bigotry?

Our country is really hopeless....

And Khaw, perhaps your tone when you said 'where the f*ck is Kuala Muda' has also offended kedahans, so perhaps you want to tone it down a little. People can be very sensitive.

#212 ·
If that's how Chinese and indirectly, Chinese Malaysians too, are labelled -****** - by some in this community, that's a tragedy. The country has progressed and modernized, but unfortunately many were left behind.

The reference on travelers wondering "where the F%*K Kuala Muda is" is in jest, and was just an illustration of what travelers might think! That's it! For you sensitive ones out there, there was no intent of malice here. :)

#215 ·
Alot of details were published in this week's The Edge business newspaper.

Very interesting project and alot alot of risk involved as the government is not backing any financing - hence is debt free for Penang govt but the model allows the company to work on megaprojects without burdening the govt.

#225 ·
actually there is a political issue here.

Why tunnel instead of bridge as there was a agreement made during BN time that no further bridge can be built without "approval".

hence penang government go for tunnel option whereby the land still own by state government.

#235 ·
I think he got it from Penanglang Facebook news page which I find their news sketchy at times

http://www.penanglang.my/121013-022

If a tunnel is a go ahead they better leave space for adding trains for example have a double deck tunnel where road is on top and train at the bottom similar to SMART large tunnel where there is double deck tunnel

Reactions: szehoong
#237 ·
I believe Georgetown and Penang Island is meant to be like Manhatten while Buttorworth is like New Jersey main hum should still be Penang and to make it easier for Maindland people, connectivity to the island need to be increased.

#243 ·
Maybe the should replace the 2 ferry terminals with the tunnel entrance like New Jersy - Manhattan Lincoln Tunnel or Hong Kong cross harbor tunnel?

#245 ·
‘Build sea tunnel below ferry lanes’
Posted on November 1, 2013 - Property News.

Datuk Ahmad Ibnihajar

GEORGE TOWN: Penang Port Sdn Bhd (PPSB) has proposed that the planned 6.5km undersea tunnel be aligned with the ferry lanes between the Raja Tun Uda Terminal on the island and the Sultan Abdul Halim Terminal in Butterworth.

Managing director Datuk Ahmad Ibnihajar said the state should consider the route because it is the shortest distance between the island and the mainland.

Ahmad said the distance between the two ferry terminals is only 1.5km.

“It will be cost saving due to the short distance, and it is not necessary for the entrance to the tunnel to be located at Weld Quay,” he told a press conference yesterday.

Ahmad said PPSB was not consulted on the proposed undersea tunnel connecting Gurney Drive on the island and Bagan Ajam in Butterworth, and scheduled for completion by 2025.

“We have no details such as how deep the tunnel will be since it will be built on the northern side of the island and underneath the shipping lanes.

“Can it be built 60m below the sea bed? There will come a day where we need to dredge the area for bigger ships to come in.

“Ships are getting bigger and bigger. The depth is important and if big ships cannot come in, it will ‘kill’ the port,” he said.

“I do not want to be negative about the state government. We must work together. What is good for the port is also good for the state,” he said.
http://www.starproperty.my/index.php/articles/property-news/build-sea-tunnel-below-ferry-lanes/

#246 ·
“I do not want to be negative about the state government. We must work together. What is good for the port is also good for the state,” he said.
tell that to federal

Reactions: zhaochuan
#248 ·
WOW! Penang will have 2 Cable Stayed Span Bridges & 2 Undersea Tunnels! Look at page 13 & 14. So the gomen have planned the crossings for Penang. But will it be enough? We might need a new thread for this.

Those are feasibility studies for alternative routes lah.

That means these are less likely survive even as proposals.

However since there are studies into both the alignments, and that bridges are not suitable for the Mid-Channel Route and the Northern Route, a full underwater sea tunnel or a hybrid bridge-tunnel connections might materialised. :yes:

#249 ·
Penang Road and Tunnel Projects

Penang Road and Tunnel Projects - Phase 1a​
Dual carriageway from Tanjong Bungah to Teluk Bahang​.

Length: 12 KM
Width: 4 lanes
Toll: none

Penang Road and Tunnel Projects - Phase 1b
Lebuhraya Tun Dr. Lim Chong Eu to Ayer Itam.

Length: 5 KM

Penang Road and Tunnel Projects - Phase 2
Lebuhraya Tun Dr. Lim Chong Eu to Persiaran Gurney Highway.

Length: 4.2 KM

Penang Road and Tunnel Projects - Phase 3
The Penang Third Link - Seberang Prai Undersea Tunnel

Length: 7.2 KM
Toll Rate: Same as Penang Bridge.
Condition: 30 years concession without guarantee of traffic.

Timeline
Penang Road and Tunnel Projects

Source: http://www.zenithbucg.com/#!project/c1n8o

#250 · (Edited)
Penang Road and Tunnel Projects - Phase 1a​ Dual carriageway from Tanjong Bungah to Teluk Bahang​. Length: 12 KM Width: 4 lanes Toll: none Penang Road and Tunnel Projects - Phase 1b Lebuhraya Tun Dr. Lim Chong Eu to Ayer Itam. Length: 5 KM Width: 4 lanes Penang Road and Tunnel Projects - Phase 2 Lebuhraya Tun Dr. Lim Chong Eu to Persiaran Gurney Highway. Length: 4.2 KM Width: 4 lanes Penang Road and Tunnel Projects - Phase 3 The Penang Third Link - Seberang Prai Undersea Tunnel Length: 7.2 KM Width: 4 lanes Toll Rate: Same as Penang Bridge. Condition: 30 years concession without guarantee of traffic. Timeline Penang Road and Tunnel Projects Source: http://www.zenithbucg.com/#!project/c1n8o
Interesting project. Seems very meticulous for Penang road and tunnel project. However, the government of penang itself forgotten that by improving the roadworks and tunnel and such will not solve or give a breathable solution to penang hectic traffic gridlock.

What penang need is a more efficient and swift public transportation, an underground tube (within heritage zones) that connected to major islands hot spots and connected through the main land.

The reason why of underground as i mention, is to preserve the heritage ambiance within the heritage zones. If modernity intertwine with the heritage (physical exposure), there is a high possibility that the tittle awarded from UNESCO might be pull out from Penang.

What i can predict is that, by having more roads and tunnels open to road users, the amount of cars and traffic will indeed tripled in the future.

You see, i'm thinking for the long-run/long-term. It may cost a bomb but will be appreciated in the near and ahead of future.

#252 ·
^^
the federal goverment put the monorail onhold and not any subway system. In fact they never agreed to any subway system at all. Any subway system in penang would cost a bomb,difficult and take a long time. And unfortunately the population isn't there to justified the cost.

Even if they proceed with the monorail, it would still find opposition from penangnite herself, as the original alligment would cut through GT.a tram or at ground transit system would face resistance from motorist.
while a PT system is a burden to tax payer in term of building as well as running it. Yes they can adopt the MRT or MTR business models but the state gomen even our private firms may not have enough fund nor expertise to do so.

I don't buy the CM explanation on why he build the tunnel instead of a public transit system. its illogical! as both also required federal approval. But trying to build any PT system in Penang is a possible political suicide.

I think he choose the tunnel as its the road of least resistance, also toll road tunnel are a feasible bussiness ventures with good ROI. So why not

#254 ·
U need federal approval for FDI ( remember its going to be finance & built by China firm ), u need federal approval for toll road (free road can lah). Reclamation work I think also need federal EIA approval.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.