The Anthem - Zdravljica

Some general information:

Area: 20,273 km2
Population: 2,004,394 (31.3.2006), 98.9 inh. per km2
Capital city: Ljubljana
Language: Slovene; also Italian and Hungarian in nationally mixed areas
Currency: Slovenian tolar (SIT) [EUR from 2007]
GDP per capita: $23,250 (2006 est.)
GDP growth rate in 2005: 4.0 % (1/2 2006: 5.0 %)
HDI 2003: 0.904

Independence: 25.06.1991
Member of EU: 01.05.2004
Member of NATO: 29.03.2004

President of the Republic: Dr. Janez Drnovšek
Prime Minister: Janez Janša
Government: Prime Minister, 15 Ministers, 1 Minister without Portfolio
National Assembly: 90 deputies (88 elected representatives of the parliamentary parties and one representative each from the Italian and Hungarian national communities).
National Council: 40 elected representatives of employers, employees, farmers, tradesmen and the self-employed, as well as from the non-economic sector and local interest groups.
Conventional long/short form: Republic of Slovenia, Slovenia
Local long/short form: Republika Slovenija, Slovenija

See less See more
#152 ·

Four Slovenian Trade Offices to be Launched This Year

The Public Agency for Entrepreneurship and Foreign investment is expected to open this year Slovenian branch offices in Duesseldorf, Bucharest, Istanbul and Milan, the first such Slovenian trade offices in the world.

Offering a wide range of services, the trade offices will be particularly tailored to meet the needs of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). Meanwhile, the agency has promised that additional trade offices would be opened in the coming years.

The selection of the cities was based on a number of factors: entry barriers for SMEs, demand growth for major Slovenian exports, potential foreign investors, labour potential and market growth in general.

"The decision on the locations was taken based on an economic survey of the expected benefits and the plans of the trade office," the agency said.
Each trade office will employ three people: two Slovenian officials as well a domestic marketing and enterprise expert.

The basic operations of the trade offices will be financed from the state budget, with SIT 144.7m (EUR 604,000) earmarked for this purpose this year. Over time, the offices will charge the users for its services - in four years, the offices intends to cover 20% of its costs through sales.

Among other things, the trade offices will carry out analysis of the market as well as look for suitable business partners for Slovenian companies.

#153 ·

Ministers Sign Protocol on 10th Pan-European Corridor

The transport ministers of countries crossed by the tenth pan-European transport route between Salzburg and Thessaloniki, including Slovenia's Janez Bozic, signed a protocol on cross-border cooperation in Greece's Corfu on Friday.

"Slovenia has expressed a great economic interest in increasing traffic along the 10th corridor, especially railroad transport," Bozic told STA after signing the document which is set to upgrade international transport of passengers and goods and economic cooperation.

From the economic point of view, the route is important for Slovenia because of the development of a traffic hub in Ljubljana, which lies on the crossroads of the fifth and tenth corridors, the minister explained.

Bozic moreover praised Slovenia's activities in the development of the 10th corridor's infrastructure. The construction of motorways is underway, and is to be concluded in 2008, while the national railroad infrastructure programme is being finalised," he added.

The protocol, which was also signed by Austria, Croatia, Serbia, Macedonia, Greece, Hungary and Bulgaria, envisages the cooperation of signatories in achieving higher levels of security, facilitating better transport and preventing crime along the corridor.

With it, the signatories agreed to establish a multilateral working group, with each country naming its national coordinator. They are moreover to draft an action programme in line with similar activities in Central and Southeastern Europe.

#154 ·
Ljubljana City said:

Four Slovenian Trade Offices to be Launched This Year

The Public Agency for Entrepreneurship and Foreign investment is expected to open this year Slovenian branch offices in Duesseldorf, Bucharest, Istanbul and Milan, the first such Slovenian trade offices in the world.

Offering a wide range of services, the trade offices will be particularly tailored to meet the needs of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). Meanwhile, the agency has promised that additional trade offices would be opened in the coming years.

The selection of the cities was based on a number of factors: entry barriers for SMEs, demand growth for major Slovenian exports, potential foreign investors, labour potential and market growth in general.

"The decision on the locations was taken based on an economic survey of the expected benefits and the plans of the trade office," the agency said.
Each trade office will employ three people: two Slovenian officials as well a domestic marketing and enterprise expert.

The basic operations of the trade offices will be financed from the state budget, with SIT 144.7m (EUR 604,000) earmarked for this purpose this year. Over time, the offices will charge the users for its services - in four years, the offices intends to cover 20% of its costs through sales.

Among other things, the trade offices will carry out analysis of the market as well as look for suitable business partners for Slovenian companies.
smart move on Slovenia's part :yes:

:cheers2:

#155 · (Edited)

New 8 km of Motorways

From today the Lower Carniola (Dolenjska) motorway branch is with the opening of section Hrastje - Lešnica longer for 7.8 kilometres. The section is going to discharge the "capital" of Lower Carniola, Novo mesto.

The section's amount of investment totals 23.8 billion SIT (almost 100 million euros). There are two junctions and 12 other objects on it, among them 278 metres long cut-and-cover as well as 165-metre viaduct Mačkovec. By the motorway section there was also built a maintenance base.

There was a need for excavation of two million cubic metres of ground because of alleviation of the Karteljevo slope. It namely equaled around seven percent and therefore had to be reduced to about four to five percent to be adjusted with the motorway standards.

With opening of the section there are now four fifths of the Lower Carniola motorway between Ljubljana and Obrežje (direction Zagreb) finished. The entire motorway is going to have a length of 104.7 kilometres and for its completion in 2008 there are around 20 kilometres missing.

from STA, 24UR

#161 ·

Slovenia to host International Mathematical Olympiad this week

Slovenia will host the 47th International Mathematical Olympiad this week, with the participation of over 500 secondary school students from almost 100 countries, the organizer said in Ljubljana on Thursday.

The Olympiad, which is held in a different country every year, will take place in Slovenia from July 11 to 17 as the most prestigious international competition in mathematics, the Slovene Press Agency reported.

During the event, the participants will be solving tests for two consecutive days. Both tests will include three mathematical tasks, which have to be solved in four and a half hours.

After a review and grading of the tests, European Commissioner for Science and Research Janez Potocnik will close the Olympiad.

Slovenia May industrial output up 9.8 pct yr-on-yr, up 14.6 pct from April

LJUBLJANA (AFX) - Slovenia's industrial output grew 9.8 pct in May from a year earlier, and was up 14.6 pct from May, reported STA news wire citing the National Statistical Office.

Finnair launches direct flights to Ljubljana

Finnair is to be the first airline to launch direct flights between Finland and Slovenia’s beautiful capital of Ljubljana. The route, to be flown with Embraer 170 aircraft, will be opened in April 2007. Flights will be operated four times a week on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays.

New Adria Airways cargo aircraft, New Ljubljana–Liège cargo route

Ljubljana, 30 June 2006 – Adria Airways began cargo service on the Ljubljana–Liège route today. Adria has also purchased a new SAAB 340A Cargo aircraft. There are also plans to lease and bring another aircraft of this type on line this autumn. Adria anticipates that its freight volume will increase by 30% this year.

#162 · (Edited)

Slovenia Given Euro Green Light

European Union finance ministers have cleared Slovenia's entry into the eurozone, the last legal hurdle before it adopts the euro next January.

They confirmed the political decision made by EU leaders in June, making Slovenia the first of the trade bloc's new members to take up the currency.

It will join the 12-member eurozone on 1 January 2007, with an exchange rate of 239.64 Slovene tolars to the euro.

Slovenia was one of 10 new EU members that joined on 1 May, 2004.

At that time many of the new entrants set themselves ambitious timetables for the adoption of the single European currency.

Slovenia has met eurozone criteria for public debt, budget deficit, interest rates and inflation levels.

Lithuania's application for euro membership was rejected because its inflation rate was too high, while Hungary has put back its date for entry after its budget deficit ballooned.

Economic boost

The euro will be Slovenia's fourth form of legal tender since splitting from Yugoslavia in 1991, when it dropped the dinar for a transitional currency before adopting the tolar.

The Slovenian central bank will have to distribute 155 million euro coins and 42 million bank notes by 1 January, with just a two-week transition period during which the currency will circulate alongside the tolar.

The government hopes that euro membership will boost tourism and foreign investment in the small Alpine state of just two million people.

BBC

#166 ·
Verso said:
Where did u find this letter? :D
I hit the circumflex deadkey, before hitting s. I noticed it, but didn't bother changing it.

âŝŵêŷûîôâŝĝĥĵĉ

It's used alot.

Don't confuse it with š though. Different sound, zeah? :D

Rabljen za govoren Slovenščina. (if that's wrong, don't kill me. It's far from being a first, second or even third language of mine. In fact, All I really know is 'vreme' and 'pravi')

edit: Oh, and «kaj zej pedr!» :D

#167 · (Edited)
vid said:
Don't confuse it with š though. :D
I won't, I promise. ;)

vid said:
Rabljen za govoren Slovenščina. (if that's wrong, don't kill me)
I won't; it's more like Slovak. :D :jk:

vid said:
edit: Oh, and «kaj zej pedr!» :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: But let's not hijack this thread too. :D

Btw, is your name by any chance Vid? It's a Slovenian name otherwise, I think.

#172 ·
vid said:
Well considering almost every Slovenian I know is 'pedr' it isn't that bad. :cheers:
hahah wow that is some funny shit slovenes :hilarious

so random :rofl:

here you want to see my attempts at slovenian? (okay theyre not really attempts, just the stereotypical differences i noe about the language ok)

kaj vzebuješ rdečilo za ustnice v Slovenijo, eh? Pojdi vzhodno po avtocest premda hrvaško.

ok im done.

:lol:

#174 ·
Verso said:
^ What on earth is 'vzebuješ'? 'Vzemaš' perhaps?

And even if we write it as 'Zakaj vzemaš rdečilo za ustnice (šminko :) ) v Slovenijo, a? Pojdi vzhodno, po avtocesti proti Hrvaški.', I still don't get it. :dunno:
You should use "jemlješ" instead of "vzemaš"... ;) And I don't get what he means either :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.