daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Queensland

Queensland » Gold Coast | Regional Queensland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 12th, 2017, 04:02 PM   #1801
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Likes (Received): 5551

I guess I'm saying 300 George is nice and in many ways better (like at ground level and in terms of it's overall mixed-use function).

But...

It doesn't matter, Circle on Cavill is better than Q1 but Q1 is the one that's famous.

In terms of being the hero tower of the skyline, Skytower will have that title for now, it's position is far more prominent, it's surrounded by low buildings that emphasises it's height, by volume it's also far larger than 300 George, which by contrast is wedged between taller towers and has far fewer sight lines.

From the Kangaroo Point Cliffs, which to me is the no.1 skyline view in Brisbane if you want to capture the whole skyline, Skytower will rule.

But I hope it's beaten soon by a taller tower

Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2017, 10:53 PM   #1802
bribri

Likes (Received): 1273

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish.01 View Post
I think 300 George because the difference between what was there vs what it will bring is greater.

It provides Brisbane with more depth in retail/hotel experience by enlivening a new area of the city.
What was there before Skytower was a tin shed, what was there before 300 George was the Supreme Court of Queensland complex so I think Skytower may win on that point.

Malt liked this post
bribri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 03:43 AM   #1803
linum

Likes (Received): 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJackson View Post
300 George is more exciting imo for many reasons
1-W hotel is the first 5-star hotel to be built in in Brisbane in more than 18 years
2- 2nd tallest and 9th tallest towers in the same block will change the skyline dramatically
3-location on 4 streets directly to the river,the residential will be the first +250m direct on the river
4-great design
5-street activation and retail offering

All valid points...... but I also think that Skytower and Westin will activate that central part of the CBD..... which desperately needs some life, it's currently like a ghost-town LOL
linum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 11:09 AM   #1804
michael_n_

Likes (Received): 559

All three structures were being worked on today, thought one was on hold, but I'll have to re-read the threads as did think having a crane removed meant no longer building for now. But maybe they were doing things to it, saw this about 1.30 pm today.
Old March 13th, 2017, 12:03 PM   #1805
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 9456

Quote:
Originally Posted by linum View Post
All valid points...... but I also think that Skytower and Westin will activate that central part of the CBD..... which desperately needs some life, it's currently like a ghost-town LOL
The same could be said for 300 George Street's general location. On weekends especially, it is just as dead.

linum liked this post
nathandavid88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 03:15 PM   #1806
fish.01

Likes (Received): 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribri View Post
What was there before Skytower was a tin shed, what was there before 300 George was the Supreme Court of Queensland complex so I think Skytower may win on that point.
Ha ha, yes, I should have been clearer, I was talking about the area rather than the site. The 300 George end of town needs, and will see, the bigger uplift I think.
fish.01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 03:30 AM   #1807
kp_22

Likes (Received): 16

its a tough one, because I think 300 George will continue to bring life to the changing face of that north quay city frontage and whereas Skytower brings a bit of bulk and height into the centre of the cbd skyline.

Tricky one... but i'll call skytower as something that will hopefully be a trendsetter in terms of creating a more bolder skyline.

I think the Queens Wharf project will take care of completing the north quay city frontage when its completed.
kp_22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 06:30 AM   #1808
KDreamer
Marketing & Fashion, yo.

Likes (Received): 521

Let's just get more street level activation. I feel like Brisbane is horrible for it. Outside of the mall, half of the CBD dies outside of business hours, and hell, even in business hours.
"I’ve been to the other side and let me tell you, son, there’s f*cking nothing there...there’s no one waiting there for you, there’s no one to judge you so you can do what you bloody well like." -- Kerry Packer on being clinically dead for 6 minutes.
KDreamer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 08:33 AM   #1809
RAAA

Likes (Received): 7

My favorite thing to do is a night cruise down the river on a city cat looking for the liveliest place to get off at. There's Hamilton northshore. Bulimba is reasonably lively at night. Newstead has fine dining restaurants around the gasworks area. Fortitude valley is obviously the clubbing district. Kangaroo point under the bridge has a bit happening at night. Eagle street pier. Queen street mall. South Bank. Boundary st West End all have fine dining restaurants and people walking about.
Milton and Towong are picking up a bit. There are plenty of other places besides the CBD.

Yowchunfat liked this post
RAAA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 08:55 AM   #1810
RAAA

Likes (Received): 7

You also need to keep in mind that suburban junctions are also picking up. Such as the new emporium under construction in Wooloongabba. The new emporium under construction in Buranda. Coorparoo junction, just to name a few. When all these places are up and running, it will taken even more people away from the CBD.
RAAA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 06:12 AM   #1811
Aussie Bhoy

Likes (Received): 7697

Both are great projects, both are going to make a big impact.

Today

Old March 20th, 2017, 05:43 AM   #1812
kenny-tetsuya

Likes (Received): 2

When will they start building the residential tower again?
kenny-tetsuya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 05:51 AM   #1813
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 3464

Can we wait for the contract to be awarded first?
“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”
KJBrissy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 02:45 PM   #1814
PC8000

Likes (Received): 63

the office tower crane climbed up on the weekend, so looks like it is progressing otherwise they wouldn't have done that.
PC8000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 01:41 AM   #1815
John_Gill
Not_the_timber_man

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC8000 View Post
the office tower crane climbed up on the weekend, so looks like it is progressing otherwise they wouldn't have done that.
it almost feels like this might get built by accident, and the chairperson of the developer will be out in Brisbane for an unrelated meeting and go "what's all this??"
John_Gill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 02:00 AM   #1816
finn

Likes (Received): 2222

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC8000 View Post
I noticed the other day, it looks like they've started forming the first of the office tower floorplates, above the podium level. So indications seem to be that it's progressing.

michael_n_ liked this post
finn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 07:56 AM   #1817
michael_n_

Likes (Received): 559

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn View Post
I noticed the other day, it looks like they've started forming the first of the office tower floorplates, above the podium level. So indications seem to be that it's progressing.
Thanks Finn - I saw that too so was not imagining things.
Old March 27th, 2017, 02:22 AM   #1818
PeterJackson

Likes (Received): 6447

construction update : 24/3/2017 from 300george.com

Malt, surfnasi, ZAND3R, nathandavid88, gerryt1 and 4 others liked this post
PeterJackson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2017, 07:11 AM   #1819
Barwon Boy

Likes (Received): 180

One of the more exciting projects in the country. thanks for all the updates.
Barwon Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2017, 08:45 AM   #1820
SYmlb

Likes (Received): 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barwon Boy View Post
One of the more exciting projects in the country. thanks for all the updates.
I agree, what a fantastic project this is. Love the street level side of it especially.
SYmlb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adelaide, brisbane, redevelopment