daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area > Transportation and Infrastructure

Transportation and Infrastructure Discuss mass transit, roads, bridges, airports, water management, etc here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do you support plans to possibly build managed toll & HOV lanes in the Tampa Bay Area?
Yes; and would use them daily 0 0%
Yes; but would only use them on an occasional basis 2 33.33%
Yes; but only if they really benefited me 0 0%
No; we need better solutions 3 50.00%
No; it is a huge waste of taxpayer funds 1 16.67%
Unsure 0 0%
Other opinion (please post) 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 25th, 2017, 04:38 AM   #401
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1976

I purposely posted that here because it's all a ploy to "justify" TBX. Flawed express buses to start, then commuter rail that is five times worse than SunRail.
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2017, 05:51 AM   #402
HARTride 2012

I'm guessing that many here have heard by now about what I call, lipstick on a pig.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 07:30 PM   #403
mike1115

Likes (Received): 135

The DOT (or someone) should do a graphic or analysis of how many people in the Tampa Bay area live at least 10 miles from a north south limited access highway or 10 miles from an east-west limited access highway. I'm sure the results would be surprising as I'm guessing at least 50% of our area falls into at least one category. As a result everyone crams into the same few highways, and their answer is to continue cramming more people into the same few highways. I'm not for paving over the state in any stretch of the imagination but the highway system here is awful and I'd be more supportive of a few additional highways in useful areas (not a parkway through the woods to Citrus County) even if they are 100% toll roads.
mike1115 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2017, 11:50 AM   #404
Szemeredy
Keeping Things Rolling

Likes (Received): 749

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1115 View Post
The DOT (or someone) should do a graphic or analysis of how many people in the Tampa Bay area live at least 10 miles from a north south limited access highway or 10 miles from an east-west limited access highway. I'm sure the results would be surprising as I'm guessing at least 50% of our area falls into at least one category. As a result everyone crams into the same few highways, and their answer is to continue cramming more people into the same few highways. I'm not for paving over the state in any stretch of the imagination but the highway system here is awful and I'd be more supportive of a few additional highways in useful areas (not a parkway through the woods to Citrus County) even if they are 100% toll roads.
Tampa Bay has East-West limited access highways? Unless you live along I-4/Selmon Expressway or the two little stubs of interstate in DTSP, the answer is no.
Old July 13th, 2017, 04:00 PM   #405
mike1115

The new plan for the howard frankland replacement has a Lexus lane in each direction separated from the "free" traffic by a concrete barrier. And if there's an accident in that lane....?
Old August 24th, 2017, 07:52 PM   #406
WeatherChannel

Likes (Received): 38

For anyone that cares, the dot sprayed Roundup or some sort of vegetation killer again along 275 North of Hillsborough Avenue. I wrote an email asking them if they notified the residents adjacent to the right of way that the spraying was occurring. It kind of concerns me because I noticed adjacent vegetation on personal property dying. If any animals or young kids were out in that area they could have been exposed. It seems like they don't trim or cut the grass and when the vegetation gets extremely overgrown they go ahead and spray the herbicide to kill everything.
I kind of take a personal interest in this because years ago the county of Hernando sprayed herbicide along a county road and it got onto my mother's property and killed a couple chickens and personal plants.
Old August 24th, 2017, 08:05 PM   #407
mike1115

I think the DOT has illustrated time and again that they could care less about the people they are supposed to serve. They exist to funnel tax money to businesses through contracts or deals to pick and choose where to build/expand roads based on who benefits financially.
Old August 26th, 2017, 08:30 AM   #408
HARTride 2012

Speaking of which, so far at the two Regional Transit Study gatherings, a good chunk of people think it's a good idea to have flawed express buses, though another chunk prefers LRT.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/transpo...utions/2335158

I think it's safe to say that getting nothing more than flawed express buses and LRT being forced down the median of I-275 is all but guaranteed at this point. And we haven't even had the session at the PSTA facility yet, which is next Tuesday.
Old August 27th, 2017, 12:57 AM   #409
Animan

Likes (Received): 17

Major-ish update I'm surprised no one's posted:

The DOT has unattached the widening of the eastern bottleneck of the Howard Frankland from TBX/whatever they're calling it. And they'll start on getting rid of the bottleneck soon.

Also, they've stopped acquiring property for TBX.Story here

Brian72 liked this post
Animan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2017, 05:09 PM   #410
Brian72

Likes (Received): 973

Clearly you can see how bad that bottle neck is so they must realize it can't wait to the 60/275 overhaul takes place.

What really bothers me is the exit from northbound 275 from the bridge to the Cypress exit, people crawl over it for no apparent reason. The bridge being narrow is probably the issue. Plus, they need to divide the exit better, too many last minute cut-ins seem to also be an issue causing traffic to stop.
Brian72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2017, 06:07 PM   #411
mike1115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian72 View Post
Clearly you can see how bad that bottle neck is so they must realize it can't wait to the 60/275 overhaul takes place.

What really bothers me is the exit from northbound 275 from the bridge to the Cypress exit, people crawl over it for no apparent reason. The bridge being narrow is probably the issue. Plus, they need to divide the exit better, too many last minute cut-ins seem to also be an issue causing traffic to stop.
Couldn't agree more. I have the pleasure of using this exit five days a week and think it contributes to 50% of the traffic issues. The bridge seems to back up the worst when the merge with the Veterans gets really bad but adding a third lane won't magically clear up the traffic.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 09:42 PM   #412
apartmentev

Likes (Received): 155

Why is urbn bitching about the proposal? Honeslty it is great. The express lanes can be converted and the bike path is awesome. There are bike paths along interstates all throughout Oregon and even on busy roads and people use then all the time.

Stop bitching about everything.

Brian72 liked this post
apartmentev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2017, 12:32 PM   #413
HARTride 2012

Even though the proposal calls for future modifications to accommodate LRT, I doubt we will see LRT unless both counties get their act together and finally commit to a regional solution for passenger rail. Otherwise, the state will shaft us on LRT and go with BERT instead (with HART "rebranding" MetroRapid as BERT and moving all corridors onto the express lanes. IMO, this scenario will especially play out if our next governor favors toll lanes and Lord Voldemort himself snags Nelson's Senate seat.

And honestly, bike lanes do not belong at all on the Howard Frankland, FDOT should save that proposal for the Gandy rebuild. And speaking of which, it would not surprise me if FDOT comes up with a single span layout for Gandy by which the existing westbound bridge is converted to eastbound and the new span accommodates two westbound general lanes, one express lane in each direction (four lanes total), and bike/fishing trail accommodations. There should be a transit component with that bridge as well though, but they will probably just put that aside for a another third span where the current eastbound bridge is located.

Last edited by HARTride 2012; October 3rd, 2017 at 12:44 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2017, 04:15 PM   #414
apartmentev

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARTride 2012 View Post

Even though the proposal calls for future modifications to accommodate LRT, I doubt we will see LRT unless both counties get their act together and finally commit to a regional solution for passenger rail. Otherwise, the state will shaft us on LRT and go with BERT instead (with HART "rebranding" MetroRapid as BERT and moving all corridors onto the express lanes. IMO, this scenario will especially play out if our next governor favors toll lanes and Lord Voldemort himself snags Nelson's Senate seat.

And honestly, bike lanes do not belong at all on the Howard Frankland, FDOT should save that proposal for the Gandy rebuild. And speaking of which, it would not surprise me if FDOT comes up with a single span layout for Gandy by which the existing westbound bridge is converted to eastbound and the new span accommodates two westbound general lanes, one express lane in each direction (four lanes total), and bike/fishing trail accommodations. There should be a transit component with that bridge as well though, but they will probably just put that aside for a another third span where the current eastbound bridge is located.
Look I get it but the fdot can't just do rail without both counties citizens being on board. I think the trail is awesome btw. I actually commute sometimes via the Courtney Campbell trail. The Frankland trail will be more for cycling enthusiasts but it is basically nothing to build because you already have a huge bridge being built. It is more of an amenity that was added. Hopefully more trails linking the Duke Energy trail and it are added as well as trails on the Tampa side. A Bay loop would be amazing
Old October 3rd, 2017, 04:16 PM   #415
apartmentev

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARTride 2012 View Post

And stop calling it a bike lane. It isn't a bike lane. It is a separate trail with a huge wall.

Brian72 liked this post
Old October 3rd, 2017, 11:28 PM   #416
mike1115

I think at this point this is about as good as it's going to get, and I'm okay with it. While I think tolled express lanes are a terrible idea for commuting purposes, they serve a much better purpose for pass through trips of longer distances. There's at least a semblance of planning for mass transit with this.
Old October 4th, 2017, 03:08 PM   #417
Brian72

Likes (Received): 973

I really believe an upper level limited exit focused on moving people through the area would be much better then a wider expressway similar to the crosstown.

On and off ramps at the major interchanges, airport, downtown along the way leaving the lower level for more localized commuting would not only separate the short distance travelers from those going farther, it would also protect the areas along side of the expressway.

mike1115 liked this post
Brian72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2017, 08:14 PM   #418
gstolze

Location: Hannover, Germany>Tampa Bay, Florida, USA>Hannover, Germany
Likes (Received): 338

Yep. Replace the current highway with an at grade boulevard for the local traffic and an elevated, limited access freeway for long-distance through traffic.
gstolze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 02:42 AM   #419
HARTride 2012

Agreed
Old January 14th, 2018, 11:04 AM   #420
HARTride 2012

The Gateway Connector toll road and the corresponding TBX toll lanes Phase I officially gets underway next month.

https://www.abcactionnews.com/traffi...project?page=2