daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Texas > Projects and Construction

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 25th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #41
Silverhawk
U.W.

Likes (Received): 776

Any news about a skyscraper's project in McAllen Metro Area or surroundings?

Ser REGIO no es una procedencia sino una filosofia de Vida y una actitud ante las adversidades...
Silverhawk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #42
jonathaninATX

Likes (Received): 2596

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXIS of EVIL View Post
Yeah the population of the Rio Grande Valley is 1,305,744. When Brownsville and McAllen officially combine as a CSA in 2023, by then there will be nearly 1.6 million people.

This area of Texas is rapidly becoming Texas' version of the Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach area.

South Padre itself is filling in like Miami Beach. The climate is the closest anywhere in the lower 48's come to matching South Florida too.

I have no doubt that in my lifetime this area of Texas will have 4 million plus people.

Time to open this area up to immigration from all of Latin America, not just Mexico.
I could be the next "Miami" someday, what I would like to see is more diversity in the RGV area.
jonathaninATX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 01:25 AM   #43
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53484

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathaninATX View Post
I could be the next "Miami" someday, what I would like to see is more diversity in the RGV area.
Think of the possibilities for rail connecting all these cities. If they can begin protecting farmland and focusing new growth in urban areas, the Valley could become an amazing agglomeration.

jonathaninATX liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 11:59 PM   #44
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1674

http://www.valleycentral.com/neighbo...8#.U6iUXfldWSp

150 room embassy suites planned.

How big of a building are we talking about? Probably not big, the decently tall one in San Marcos has 283 rooms. But who knows...

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 09:03 AM   #45
Dariusb
Formerly known as Bigboyz

Likes (Received): 279

With only 2 main freeways currently, I bet traffic can be tough.
Dariusb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 10:15 PM   #46
jonathaninATX

Dallas foreign-investment firm sets its sights on Valley

Quote:
By Steve Clark
May 27. 2014

Tens of millions of dollars in capital investment may ultimately pour into the Rio Grande Valley thanks to the creation here of an EB-5 “regional center” by Civitas Capital Group, a Dallas-based asset-management firm that links foreign investors to particular development projects around the state.

The primary goal is job creation, said Civitas CEO Dan Healy, whose firm won approval this month from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to establish the “Rio Grande Valley Regional Center.”

Healy said the approval from USCIS for an RGV Regional Center had been pending for more than a year. “We’ve been laying the groundwork and having initial discussions with various potential project sponsors,” he said. “Now that we have the approval in place, that activity will start ramping up.”

Civitas is focused mainly on real estate or related projects, primarily because they tend to be relatively low-risk compared to some other types of investments, he said.

“Investors overseas are quite conservative and want to make sure, from a job creation perspective, that the jobs will be there,” Healy said.
http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/new...7a43b2370.html
Old August 7th, 2014, 10:19 PM   #47
jonathaninATX

McAllen breaks gound on new Convention hotel

http://texasborderbusiness.com/mcall...vention-hotel/

desertpunk liked this post
Old August 24th, 2014, 06:37 AM   #48
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

McAllen building "most advanced" Performing Arts Center south of San Antonio

Quote:
McALLEN – The City of McAllen will host a groundbreaking ceremony for the new McAllen Performing Arts Center at 10 a.m. on Thursday, July 24, 2014 at the McAllen Convention Center’s Oval Park. The 1,800-seat McAllen Performing Arts Center will have the capacity to host a wide range of performances such as big production Broadway shows, concerts, dance recitals and symphonies.

The vision behind the $45 million Performing Arts Center is to create a dynamic venue that rivals any big city but will also meet the needs of the local community. The iconic facility will occupy the southeast side of the McAllen Convention Center grounds and is expected to open in the Fall of 2016. McAllen Mayor Jim Darling, City Commissioners, architects, builders and others will be on hand for the groundbreaking.

The City of McAllen is committed to enhancing the arts and cultural experience by delivering the most advanced performing arts center south of San Antonio by bringing a broader variety of entertainment that has been never been possible before in South Texas. In November, voters approved the issuance of $15 million in bonds for the arts center. The McAllen Performing Arts Center is being built across the street from the new 6-story, $20 million Embassy Suites hotel.

McAllen breaks ground on performing arts center - Texas Border Business

diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 09:03 AM   #49
jonathaninATX

Wind farm underway in Starr County

Quote:
By Kristen Mosbrucker
August 22. 2014

More than 88,000 acres of ranchland full of mesquite trees and brush in Starr County will be transformed into what local leaders hope will be the largest wind turbine project within a single county in Texas.

Two phases of the project, dubbed Los Vientos III and IV, meaning “the wind” in Spanish and worth $410 million are underway with 247 giant white turbines capable of powering more than 185,000 homes by the end of the year.

The wind farms will be erected about 20 miles northeast of Rio Grande City on Farm-to-Market Road 490 near Pipeline Road.
http://www.themonitor.com/news/local...tml?TNNoMobile
Old September 2nd, 2014, 10:50 AM   #50
Dariusb

What is the tallest highrise in the RGV?
Old September 3rd, 2014, 05:01 AM   #51
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

If South Padre Island is counted, then it's the Sapphire at 403 feet. Otherwise, pretty sure it would be the Chase Bank tower in McAllen at 223 feet.

Nothing much besides the beach skyline down there. McAllen, Harlingen, Brownsville have stumpy buildings, nothing tall.

source: skyscraperpage diagrams page.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Dariusb liked this post

Last edited by zaphod; September 3rd, 2014 at 05:11 AM.
Old March 15th, 2015, 02:09 AM   #52
Dariusb

Forgive my late response. Thank you. Also, if anyone knows do all the transit agencies (McAllen, Harlingen and Brownsville) work together or no ?
Old March 17th, 2015, 07:23 PM   #53
jonathaninATX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
Forgive my late response. Thank you. Also, if anyone knows do all the transit agencies (McAllen, Harlingen and Brownsville) work together or no ?
McAllen has their own transportation system called Metro McAllen.

http://www.mcallen.net/metro

As well as Brownsville has it's own transportation called B Metro.

http://bmetro.cob.us
Old March 17th, 2015, 07:29 PM   #54
jonathaninATX

UT RGV new $68 million stadium broke ground

Quote:
Feb. 26 2015

Artist’s rendition of $68 million, 8,500-seat Bert Ogden Arena set to open in southeast Edinburg in October 2016.
Graphics Courtesy RIO GRANDE VALLEY VIPERS
The NBA Development League Rio Grande Valley Vipers, along with the City of Edinburg, the Edinburg Economic Development Corporation and Cantú Construction on Thursday, February 26, broke ground on a new, state-of-the-art arena located at Interstate 69-Central and Alberta Road in Edinburg. Bert Ogden Auto Group was also announced as the arena’s naming rights sponsor. With a capacity of 8,500 seats, Bert Ogden Arena will be the largest entertainment venue in South Texas and is slated to open in October 2016. “Today is the biggest day in franchise history for the Rio Grande Valley Vipers. We are excited to break ground and be the anchor tenants of Bert Ogden Arena,” RGV Vipers president Bert García said.
http://www.edinburgpolitics.com/2015...onomic-growth/

zaphod liked this post
Old March 17th, 2015, 10:04 PM   #55
Dariusb

Cool! Looks like a nice stadium/arena!
Old March 21st, 2015, 05:37 AM   #56
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Your post says UT-RGV but AFAIK this will not be used by them, will it?

Though the old UTPA arena is, according to wikipedia, teensy with only 2,500 seats. I could see them moving into this facility at some point.

Old March 22nd, 2015, 06:28 PM   #57
jonathaninATX

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Your post says UT-RGV but AFAIK this will not be used by them, will it?

Though the old UTPA arena is, according to wikipedia, teensy with only 2,500 seats. I could see them moving into this facility at some point.
A qoute for the Rio Grande Guardian.

Quote:
The RGV Vipers will serve as the anchor tenant of the new arena, and will start its tenth season in the facility in the fall of 2016.
http://riograndeguardian.com/mayor-e...ith-new-arena/
Old March 24th, 2015, 10:43 AM   #58
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Okay. The vipers are an NBA developmental league basketball team.

University of Texas Rio Grande Valley's athletic program's are the Vaqueros.

jonathaninATX liked this post
Old March 25th, 2015, 12:14 AM   #59
jonathaninATX

Yes, I believe that is correct.
Old June 10th, 2015, 10:30 AM   #60
jonathaninATX

McAllen breaks ground on new La Quinta Hotel

Quote:
March 2nd. 2015

McALLEN – Construction at the McAllen Convention Center is very much hustling and bustling.
The McAllen Chamber of Commerce and the City of McAllen will host a groundbreaking ceremony on March 4 for the La Quinta Inns and Suites at the convention center at 9:00 a.m.

The four-story building will house 114 rooms and 1750 sq. ft. of meeting space and will sit on the west side of the convention center.

La Quinta is the second hotel to break ground in that location and is within walking distance of the convention center, the Performing Arts Center (currently under construction) and the Palms Crossing shopping center.
https://www.mcallen.net/publicstuff-...a-quinta-hotel

zaphod liked this post

Tags
texas