search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Under Construction

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 9th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #2201
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 863

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB1967 View Post
No doubt your statistics are right ..... but ....... there is a reason that both the Rams and Raiders left in 1995.

Perhaps what you stated above is actually part of the problem. There is ALOT to do in Southern California and there are many different ways to spend money on sports. Throw in concerts, theatre, the beach and theme parks and you see my point. This doesn't even address the problem of a whole generation growing up with no local team, that has been free to pick and choose (and watch) their favorites from around the country.

I'm not saying that two NFL teams wouldn't work in LA, but I don't think that it's a slam dunk either.
So despite LA having strong sports attendance across the board for it's varying teams, as well as the amount of things to do in this city, we would be unable to support a new NFL team?

Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #2202
BigB1967

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
So despite LA having strong sports attendance across the board for it's varying teams, as well as the amount of things to do in this city, we would be unable to support a new NFL team?
Didn't say that. I was referring to having two teams. And the NFL is a different creature. The NFL wants every game sold out. In advance. Preferably with a long waiting list to buy season tickets.

I don't KNOW that LA can provide that for two teams. Don't KNOW that they can't. Neither does anyone else KNOW. It's a gamble and it's not a slam dunk.
BigB1967 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 10:44 PM   #2203
Marckymarc
Namasté

Likes (Received): 210

Quote:
No doubt your statistics are right ..... but ....... there is a reason that both the Rams and Raiders left in 1995.
And it had nothing to do with attendance. It had to do with neither team having a suitable stadium with lots of suites and other revenue-generating amenities that georgia and al wanted and local governments refused to foot the bill for.

That's why they left...and that's why the 2017 L.A. Rams will sell out every game in Farmers Field.
Marckymarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #2204
Marckymarc
Namasté

Quote:
The NFL wants every game sold out. In advance. Preferably with a long waiting list to buy season tickets.
Hell, even New Freaking York doesn't have 2 teams that fit that criteria.
Old February 10th, 2013, 03:07 AM   #2205
BigB1967

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marckymarc View Post
Hell, even New Freaking York doesn't have 2 teams that fit that criteria.
Which is why the two team thing doesn't make much sense. That's all I'm saying.
BigB1967 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 04:22 AM   #2206
Marckymarc
Namasté

Quote:
Which is why the two team thing doesn't make much sense. That's all I'm saying.
It makes sense under certain conditions. I'm not crazy about the idea of 2 teams, especially right off the bat. I'd rather see 1 team personally, but even well established franchises don't always sell out the season. The Chiefs, Browns, Steelers, Bengals and Dolphins, among others, didn't play to capacity this past season.
Old February 10th, 2013, 04:41 AM   #2207
will101

Likes (Received): 1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Oh, good, somebody has raised the issue of why the Rams and Raiders left. This is usually good for a few heated posts.
It is? I had no idea. Wonder why ...
will101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #2208
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2394

The Rams are going to leave St Louis in 2015 for the same reason the Rams left Los Angeles in 1995. Not much changes in 20 years.
slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #2209
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
The Rams are going to leave St Louis in 2015 for the same reason the Rams left Los Angeles in 1995. Not much changes in 20 years.
The Rams left when they were bought my a Missouri owner, that owner now owns a larger share of the team. They aren't leaving Missouri but they may move to the STL suburbs.
weava no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #2210
will101

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
The Rams left when they were bought my a Missouri owner, that owner now owns a larger share of the team. They aren't leaving Missouri but they may move to the STL suburbs.
Not even. The Rams were bought in 1972 by Robert Irsay, who promptly traded franchises with Carroll Rosenbloom, owner of the Colts. Rosenbloom was already planning the move to Anaheim when he drowned in 1979, and his widow, Georgia Frontiere (who was from St. Louis), inherited his ownership. She moved the team to her childhood home of St. Louis 16 years later, in 1995. But she did not buy the team, and for a number of years worked hard to build a new home in LA. But LA fumbled the ball.
Old February 11th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #2211
pesto

Likes (Received): 3028

I knew we would get into some history. Maybe I can summarize the two sides in advance:

The Rams and Raiders left because: LA sucks; the people are bad fans; it's a baseball and basketball town; SC and UCLA take too much attention; the traffic is bad; it's not super cool like [insert city] which has real fans.

Or, the Rams and Raiders left because: LA refused to put in public money; Al and Georgia found that Oakland/STL were desperate for anything and looted them with deals that basically handed public money to the owners (and are coming back for more public money again).

Last edited by pesto; February 12th, 2013 at 06:26 PM.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 09:09 PM   #2212
blackcat23

Likes (Received): 2964

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
I knew we would get into some history. Maybe I can summarize the two sides in advance:

The Rams and Raiders left because: LA sucks; the people are bad fans; it's a baseball and basketball town; SC and UCLA take too much attention; the traffic is bad it's not super cool like [insert city] which has real fans.

Or, the Rams and Raiders left because: LA refused to put in public money; Al and Georgia found that Oakland/STL were desperate for anything and looted them with deals that basically handed public money to the owners (and are coming back for more public money again).
LOL! This pretty much hits the nail on the head.
blackcat23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 04:29 AM   #2213
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by will101 View Post
Not even. The Rams were bought in 1972 by Robert Irsay, who promptly traded franchises with Carroll Rosenbloom, owner of the Colts. Rosenbloom was already planning the move to Anaheim when he drowned in 1979, and his widow, Georgia Frontiere (who was from St. Louis), inherited his ownership. She moved the team to her childhood home of St. Louis 16 years later, in 1995. But she did not buy the team, and for a number of years worked hard to build a new home in LA. But LA fumbled the ball.
Kroenke bought 30% of the team in 1995, was up to 40% a couple years later and become the full owner in 2010. He lives an hour west of the STL metro and his favorite team is the STL Cardinals. That is who I was referring to as he is the current owner and the one making the decisions. He isn't moving the team.
weava no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 05:22 AM   #2214
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2394

Quote:
Kroenke bought 30% of the team in 1995, was up to 40% a couple years later and become the full owner in 2010. He lives an hour west of the STL metro and his favorite team is the STL Cardinals. That is who I was referring to as he is the current owner and the one making the decisions. He isn't moving the team.
Post noted and screenshot saved.
slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #2215
pesto

Quote:
Well, it does make you wonder why he is repeatedly seen at Laker games, etc., talking to Dr. Soon-Shiong. Maybe they're swapping moo goo gai pan recipes, or trading tips on Feng Shui for his Malibu home?

At the least, he's playing off the possibility of moving to LA as leverage in STL.
Old February 18th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #2216
atypical

Likes (Received): 119

As expected...

No NFL team in L.A. for 2013
atypical no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 06:03 AM   #2217
will101

Quote:
Originally Posted by atypical View Post
Not really a surprise. If a move was coming, it would have been trumpeted far and wide across the land. This is LA, after all.
Old February 20th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #2218
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by will101 View Post
Not really a surprise. If a move was coming, it would have been trumpeted far and wide across the land. This is LA, after all.
Excellent point. It's hard to even imagine how this will be handled, considering that if C list celebs are having a baby it gets at least a 6 month PR campaign, including millions for twitter and other social media. The NFL will want this to do this right.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 01:49 AM   #2219
Jericho-79

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by atypical View Post
So does that mean this project is off?
Jericho-79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 02:43 AM   #2220
Dale

Likes (Received): 5501

I think it means it wasn't going to happen this soon in any case.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
los angeles, nfl