search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Under Construction

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 1st, 2011, 01:22 AM   #1161
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 856

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Yea. For a few hours I was believing that this new "commitment" by the new Jags owner meant that the Jaguars were likely staying but then I read "verbal agreement" in the write up of it and that pretty much me has me thinking that the Jags are going to be the ones to go to L.A. A verbal agreement without legal stipulations is effectively worthless. IF the new owner got up before a microphone and claimed that he had made such a commitment and was going to stick by it that would perhaps be different but he hasn't.

A non-local owner who could immediately raise the value of his club by a few hundred in the matter of months if he decided to be the one to sign on to L.A. deal. It would also seem stupid not to do it. What does this guy care if he or his non-existent legacy are hated in Jacksonville?
the problem is that the Jags lease is next to impossible to break
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2011, 03:08 AM   #1162
Darloeye

Likes (Received): 84

Could this new guy buy the team then sell a share for a protfit to AEG then move the team ?
Darloeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 07:48 AM   #1163
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2394

slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 08:04 AM   #1164
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 167

I am thinking LA stadium will be done and a team will already be in LA in 4 years.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 08:40 AM   #1165
Darloeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
GRRRRR NOT AVAILABLE IN MY COUNTRY !
Old December 1st, 2011, 09:16 AM   #1166
slipperydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darloeye View Post
GRRRRR NOT AVAILABLE IN MY COUNTRY !
Colin Cowherd works for ESPN Radio and is the main sports radio talk show host in the morning. In the video clip from yesterday's show, he basically says he doesn't buy the widely-reported difficulty of breaking the lease and doubts that the new owner (Khan) really intends to keep the team in Jacksonville, because he can double the value of the franchise simply by "moving his office furniture". Cowherd tends to oversimplify things and really aims to be more entertaining and interesting than accurate, and I do believe he is overlooking the complexity of the Jags' lease, but he makes some good points. That said, I still think it will be the Chargers and Rams.

Here's an article that came out today from Mike Florio, who's specialty is pro football and generally has pretty reputable sources:

Quote:
If Jags move, L.A. may not be the destination
Posted by Mike Florio on November 30, 2011, 10:42 AM EST

For those of you who are as willing to blindly believe right now that the Jaguars won’t move as you were willing to blindly believe Wayne Weaver when he said earlier this month that he isn’t selling the team, save yourself the aggravation and scroll past this story.

For those of you who are willing to be skeptical of an industry that has generated ongoing proof of the value of skepticism, read on.

If the Jaguars move, it may not be a foregone conclusion that they move to Los Angeles. There’s a chance they’ll move to St. Louis, with the Rams returning to L.A.

As one executive with a team other than the Jaguars told PFT on Wednesday morning, “People that I trust think there is a chance [Rams owner] Stan Kroenke moves the Rams to L.A. and [Shahid] Khan moves to St. Louis.”

At this point, no one knows with certainty what will happen. But it would be foolish to rule out anything, even if folks with a vested interest in propping up ticket sales and interest in the team in Jacksonville try desperately to ignore the content of the tea leaves.

Once the minimum spending requirement per team kicks in come 2013, teams like the Jaguars won’t be able to stockpile $32.9 million in salary cap space. When that happens, there will be more incentive than ever to move NFL teams to where the money is.

Folks in the one percent didn’t get there by being too stupid to realize that.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-destination/
Old December 1st, 2011, 06:50 PM   #1167
pesto

Likes (Received): 3028

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
Colin Cowherd works for ESPN Radio and is the main sports radio talk show host in the morning. In the video clip from yesterday's show, he basically says he doesn't buy the widely-reported difficulty of breaking the lease and doubts that the new owner (Khan) really intends to keep the team in Jacksonville, because he can double the value of the franchise simply by "moving his office furniture". Cowherd tends to oversimplify things and really aims to be more entertaining and interesting than accurate, and I do believe he is overlooking the complexity of the Jags' lease, but he makes some good points. That said, I still think it will be the Chargers and Rams.

Here's an article that came out today from Mike Florio, who's specialty is pro football and generally has pretty reputable sources:
Love it! New news brings new rumors. The one I heard was that Jax becomes the SJ Jaguars and moves to Santa Clara to share with the Niners while the Raiders move to LA. Pure speculation as far as I know.

My guess is that the lease is not the problem: you pack up and move and let the city sue you. You defend by showing losses from poor attendance and 5 years later settle for a tiny fraction of what you made by moving.

The real problem is the NFL. I would be curious as to what understandings Khan has with them.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 09:32 PM   #1168
ExWNY'er

Likes (Received): 189

Agreed- that lease will not stand in the way at all. They can twist the math to show a loss or profit as they need. Everyone knows the Jags draw poorly. I think the league will protest slightly (so as not to alienate the fans that the Jags do have) then they will be happy that they don't have to have a stadium on TV that is not full even with blocks of seating covered in tarps. Then they will happily welcome the new LA team and pledge the Super Bowl to the area in 5 years.
ExWNY'er no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 09:45 PM   #1169
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 167

Colin Cowherd is a moron anyway.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 10:44 PM   #1170
Darloeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Colin Cowherd is a moron anyway.
At times he can be but he does make some good points on "Sportsnation" But the shows are made to debate (PTI,Sportsnation & around the horn even rome is burning can be that way too)
Old December 1st, 2011, 11:24 PM   #1171
hubemx
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Any team relocated to LA i hope it gets a new name to make a fresh start. (with the exception of Raiders and Rams)

I like the name of Los Angeles Pumas. Itīs a understandable word on english and spanish and itīs a common animal in the LA mountains.
hubemx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 11:37 PM   #1172
Kenni
Admin♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

wow! if the Rams come back to L.A. I'll strip and run around naked up and down Chick Hearn Court.

The Rams bring me fond memories of when I was a wee little kid, I even had a Los Angeles Rams kid rugby style shirt.
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 11:40 PM   #1173
Kenni
Admin♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubemx View Post
Any team relocated to LA i hope it gets a new name to make a fresh start. (with the exception of Raiders and Rams)

I like the name of Los Angeles Pumas. Itīs a understandable word on english and spanish and itīs a common animal in the LA mountains.
In the past I also thought of the name Los Angeles Knights, the reason is that since we have many Raider fans here, the knights cold use similar dark colors eventually make them fans. maybe black, silver and purle, just like the hockey pro tema the L.A. Kings.

I dunno. No good>?
Old December 1st, 2011, 11:52 PM   #1174
Darloeye

Los Angeles Pumas won't work because Nike are getting the rights to make the uniforms and they won't want to have a rival name on their shirts. Yes I know its not the same thing but companys can be weird like that. But like the Los Angeles Knights sounds good
Old December 2nd, 2011, 01:56 AM   #1175
slipperydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni View Post
wow! if the Rams come back to L.A. I'll strip and run around naked up and down Chick Hearn Court.
And I will join you. Bring 'em home.

Quote:
In the past I also thought of the name Los Angeles Knights, the reason is that since we have many Raider fans here, the knights cold use similar dark colors eventually make them fans. maybe black, silver and purle, just like the hockey pro tema the L.A. Kings.

I dunno. No good>?
What about the Generals?
Old December 2nd, 2011, 02:13 AM   #1176
Kenni
Admin♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

Generals, hum, it doesn't conjure an image of action, youth, etc.

I think of old men with power, barking orders but not actually taking on the battlefield themselves. (sawwie)
Old December 2nd, 2011, 02:35 AM   #1177
slipperydog

Quote:
Generals, hum, it doesn't conjure an image of action, youth, etc.

I think of old men with power, barking orders but not actually taking on the battlefield themselves. (sawwie)
Well I am a huge George Patton fan, and he's from good ole' San Marino. What about Admirals? Trying to keep the military theme going. When I think of "Knights", I think of Renaissance guys with frilly coats, colorful outfits, and chivalry. Those knight helmets with the long hair coming out of the top aren't all that masculine. Not really a good football name IMO.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 03:18 AM   #1178
Franchise646

Likes (Received): 25

I think Gladiators work better than those.
Franchise646 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 04:20 AM   #1179
Jericho-79

Likes (Received): 35

Hey guys. Getting back to the list of potential candidates...

Are the Vikings still on the radar?

I haven't heard anything regarding the Ramsey County, MN proposal and the dreaded half-cent sales tax increase.
Jericho-79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 08:06 AM   #1180
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2755

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
the problem is that the Jags lease is next to impossible to break
What is the hit for breaking it again? I am guessing it isn't prohibiting enough to settle in court with the city of Jacksonville or just shrug your shoulders and go to LA anyway hit given the return on the investment just for moving to LA which I would be willing to guess would still produce a sizable net gain in the franchises value.

Tags
los angeles, nfl