SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Philippine National Infrastructure and Urban Planning

2M views 13K replies 737 participants last post by  1691433 
#1 ·
Negros Island

I looked around the forum to see information about this but couldn't find any... so I was wondering: Is there anyone here living in Bacolod? I was just curious about how it looked like and etc because I'm going there for a track meet somewhere in April :D How is it like? What are the good places to eat and go while there? :)

Thanks in advance ;P

#83 ·
wecky said:
Thanks for this info, Chymera ... Aklan is faring very well in terms of tourism .. doubling that of Iloilo City and the province ... Boracay have it all .. Congrats to them! really proud of Aklan.

In terms of Tourism earning in Western Visayas,

Aklan - top/first

Iloilo - second

Negros Occidental - third

on the 4th spot is Guimaras Island .. income is very near to that of Negros Occidental

then ..

Capiz - 5th

and 6th is Antique

With this data, I hope Antique will soon catch up with other West Visayans provinces ... I think Antique needs more promotion, etc.

Anyways, thanks again for all who post about Bacolod and the rest of Negros .. congrats Bacolod! May Bacolod and Iloilo continue to compliment each other for a stronger region 6.

Even though they are lowest in terms of tourist receipts they had the highest growthrate of 87.7%, Iloilo had the lowest with 3.3%

#84 ·
As an Ilonggo from Iloilo, this is what I think of the whole Bacolod pride issue.

:baaa:

just kidding!

:jk:

Anyway, some actual quotes from some Bacolod ladies during our trip:

"You're going to Dumaguete!? Eeeww!"

(They really think of the people on the Oriental side as really kuripot, dry, and no fun, but then that's the stereotypical Ilonggo attitue to Cebuanos as well.)

Answering the question as to why SM hasn't put up a branch in Bacolod yet:

"SM is for the middle class."

#85 ·
Bacolod and Dumaguete looks nice, clean and well organized. The latest survey says Bacolod is the most competitive mid-sized city in the country.

TOP 5 Mid-sized Cities:

1. Bacolod
2. San Fernando, Pampanga
3. Cagayan De Oro
4. Batangas
5. General Santos and Iloilo

source: Philippine Cities Competitiveness Ranking Project 2003

#86 · (Edited)
This thread is funny. I often hear these jokes - Ilonggos are known to be galante that's why naghirap sila. Unlike the Cebuanos daw na kuripot kaya yumaman, hehehe. I heard the Boholanos are more kuripot than Cebuanos, it makes sense kasi mas mahirap ang Boholanos.
Though nobody can beat the stinginess of Panggasinenses and Ilocanos.
And the reason why Suquijor's natural lush environment is preserved; because of the witches there, nnnngggiiii....

#87 ·
JudeD said:

(They really think of the people on the Oriental side as really kuripot, dry, and no fun, but then that's the stereotypical Ilonggo attitude to Cebuanos as well.)
hmmm... this is interesting. though i'm really wonderin' why those Bacolod ladies react that way on Dumaguete. in my opinion, as someone who's not from any of those cities, i don't really see much difference and in a way find their reaction inappropriate hehe. :) btw, whats with the stereotypical Ilonggo attitude to Cebuanos? im not aware of such.. :)

i have an ilonggo classmate and a friend from bacolod and dumaguete pero wala lang, just like any other filipinos. :D

sandrin said:
This thread is funny. Ilonggos are known to be galante that's why naghirap sila. Unlike the Cebuanos daw na kuripot kaya yumaman, hehehe. I heard the Boholanos are more kuripot than Cebuanos, it makes sense kasi mas mahirap ang Boholanos.
by the way, do ilonggos understand cebuano language? hehehe... oops im confused, if cebuanos yumaman because they are kuripot, boholanos should be richer because they are more kuripot dba? hehehe

#89 ·
JudeD said:
As an Ilonggo from Iloilo, this is what I think of the whole Bacolod pride issue.

:baaa:

just kidding!

:jk:

(They really think of the people on the Oriental side as really kuripot, dry, and no fun, but then that's the stereotypical Ilonggo attitue to Cebuanos as well.)

Answering the question as to why SM hasn't put up a branch in Bacolod yet:

"SM is for the middle class."
I'm from Bacolod but I disdain that kind of attitude towards Dumaguete. JudeD, I would assume that these Bacolod girls are not over 24 yrs old right? The older Bacolenas generally have a different point of view on Dumaguete. Dumaguete and her nearby sister city Bais are actually home to old families of Spanish/Basque descent. In fact, if you go to the hip bars in Madrid, you'd be amused to hear some people speaking a funny language other than Spanish. Turns out that they're speaking Bisaya/Cebuano and are actually from Dumaguete or Bais.

The older Bacolenas or Bacolenos love Dumaguete as a perfect summer or weekend getaway.

I lament the fact that the old Bacolena warmth and gentleness is easily being eroded and that an unreasonable amount of pride is taking place.

#90 ·
sandrin said:
This thread is funny. I often hear these jokes - Ilonggos are known to be galante that's why naghirap sila. Unlike the Cebuanos daw na kuripot kaya yumaman, hehehe. I heard the Boholanos are more kuripot than Cebuanos, it makes sense kasi mas mahirap ang Boholanos.
Though nobody can beat the stinginess of Panggasinenses and Ilocanos.
And the reason why Suquijor's natural lush environment is preserved; because of the witches there, nnnngggiiii....
Sands, I think you should quantify which Ilonggo you are referring to. There's the Ilonggo from Iloilo who's known to be frugal, and there's the Ilonggo from Bacolod who's generally waldas and decadent.

Allow me to put things in simple terms regarding the economic/spending patterns of the people mentioned:

The people from Iloilo spend yesterday's money today.
The people from Cebu spend today's money today.
The people from Bacolod spend tomorrow's money today.

We could actually have one whole thread on why/or how the Bacolenos spend tomorrow's money today.

Fortunately, I'm a Bacoleno with the habits of a person from Iloilo. :)

#91 ·
rusty18 said:
hmmm... this is interesting. though i'm really wonderin' why those Bacolod ladies react that way on Dumaguete. in my opinion, as someone who's not from any of those cities, i don't really see much difference and in a way find their reaction inappropriate hehe. :) btw, whats with the stereotypical Ilonggo attitude to Cebuanos? im not aware of such.. :)

i have an ilonggo classmate and a friend from bacolod and dumaguete pero wala lang, just like any other filipinos. :D

by the way, do ilonggos understand cebuano language? hehehe... oops im confused, if cebuanos yumaman because they are kuripot, boholanos should be richer because they are more kuripot dba? hehehe

As mentioned in the other post, I agree that the reaction is inappropriate. Everyone has an intrinsic pride of their home town but to push it to an extent wherein one looks down on other localities is surely uncalled for.
:nono:

#92 ·
sugarboy said:
I'm from Bacolod but I disdain that kind of attitude towards Dumaguete. JudeD, I would assume that these Bacolod girls are not over 24 yrs old right? The older Bacolenas generally have a different point of view on Dumaguete. Dumaguete and her nearby sister city Bais are actually home to old families of Spanish/Basque descent. In fact, if you go to the hip bars in Madrid, you'd be amused to hear some people speaking a funny language other than Spanish. Turns out that they're speaking Bisaya/Cebuano and are actually from Dumaguete or Bais.

The older Bacolenas or Bacolenos love Dumaguete as a perfect summer or weekend getaway.

I lament the fact that the old Bacolena warmth and gentleness is easily being eroded and that an unreasonable amount of pride is taking place.
this is so unfortunate. ive also read somewhere regarding bacolod vs iloilo vs cebu vs davao? which is the queen city, the richer city this and that... each city or province has its own unique identity and our country has so much to offer. We went to Dgte few years ago by the way and i love the place, peaceful and romantic. dolphin watching was an amazing experience, somewhere in Bais i think... it was a long time ago and was still a kiddo, not even sure if it was in Bais! hahaha.. apo island's great too. i hope someone could post photos of that beautiful place. :)

#93 ·
count bacolod out of the "which is the richer city" contest. people just live luxurious and decadent lifestyles but there is not enough finance to back that up. the people are cultured no doubt (at least the older ones) but at the end of the day, you can't eat culture.

i feel sorry for the younger bacolenos who have neither culture nor cash as displayed by the comment made by those girls to JudeD.

#94 · (Edited)
No, those weren't girls who made those comments, but ladies, 45 years old at least. And they're from some of the more prominent Bacolod families, with houses in Silay and all that, and enough money to not know what to do with. Though I'm not naming names. :) Anyway, those comments were said half-jokingly, just between Ilonggos. ;)

The most admirable attitude I picked up from these ladies though is the pride in their province. They've been and lived all over the world. They can go on vacations anywhere whenever they want, but they still believe that Bacolod is the best place in the world to call home.

Also, the idea of Ilonggos from Iloilo being frugal is new to me! We pride ourselves on living well and saving badly. :)

#95 ·
JudeD said:
No, those weren't girls who made those comments, but ladies, 45 years old at least. And they're from some of the more prominent Bacolod families, with houses in Silay and all that, and enough money to not know what to do with. Though I'm not naming names. :) Anyway, those comments were said half-jokingly, just between Ilonggos. ;)

The most admirable attitude I picked up from these ladies though is the pride in their province. They've been and lived all over the world. They can go on vacations anywhere whenever they want, but they still believe that Bacolod is the best place in the world to call home.

Also, the idea of Ilonggos from Iloilo being frugal is new to me! We pride ourselves on living well and saving badly. :)
Ilonggos from Iloilo saving badly? you must be joking! There seems to be an abundance of banks at every corner in order to accomodate the depositors from Iloilo.

If banks in Iloilo exist to take up deposits from depositors, banks in Negros on the other hand exist to lend money.

Re: the ladies who gave those comments, if they said that half jokingly, then I can tolerate that, Ilonggos always love a good laugh :)

I agree that Bacolod is the best place in the world to call home. But living there 365 days in a year gets to be a bore. As it is, I just believe it's great to have Ilonggo roots regardless whether one's from Iloilo or Negros. Tan-awa bala kay grabe maghinugpong di mga Ilonggo bisan sa forum.

#96 ·
rusty18 said:
Bacolod and Dumaguete looks nice, clean and well organized. The latest survey says Bacolod is the most competitive mid-sized city in the country.
TOP 5 Mid-sized Cities:

1. Bacolod
2. San Fernando, Pampanga
3. Cagayan De Oro
4. Batangas
5. General Santos and Iloilo

source: Philippine Cities Competitiveness Ranking Project 2003

ive heard that bacolod is the cleanest city too among mid-size.

wow davao # 3 among big cities. davao is basically a cebuano city. thats why siguro the style of devt tulad din ng cebu.

im cebuano too & i often hear jokes among visayans like ilonggos daw ang kwarta ginapiko, ginapala. boholanos idja idja, aho aho... also "goodbye philippines, im going back to bohol"

bacolod oftentimes tagged as a city with gentle people and always smiling. ive never been there & i hope its true.

#97 ·
sugarboy said:
Sands, I think you should quantify which Ilonggo you are referring to. There's the Ilonggo from Iloilo who's known to be frugal, and there's the Ilonggo from Bacolod who's generally waldas and decadent.

Allow me to put things in simple terms regarding the economic/spending patterns of the people mentioned:

We could actually have one whole thread on why/or how the Bacolenos spend tomorrow's money today.

I found this amusing....I'm half Ilonggo and half Ilocano! So what does that make me? :lol: BTW @sugarboy, where in Bacolod do you come from? I have relatives in Taculing and Sum-ag (just outside the city limits). :colgate:

#98 ·
sugarboy said:

I guess you are right sugarboy about this matter. There will be few banks in Iloilo if there are no depositors in place. Iloilo, though a literally small city in terms of area (56 sq km) have banks in every corners of its streets, making it the "financial hub" (in terms of depository) of the Southern Philippines. Not all Ilonggos though are frugal in nature. Like Ilonggos of Bacolod, they are very extravagant in nature especially when holding parties, get-together, reunions, etc. It's a part of being an Ilonggo. It runs in the blood .. hehehe.

#99 · (Edited)
rusty18 said:
it's just a flair of an Ilonggo I guess .. it means no bad at all ... i heard so much about it. Rusty, i am not in the position to tell you how an Ilonggo will view a Cebuano as it would spark controversy here in the forum. Let us just say (and stick to it) that we are all Filipinos and our main concern is to help promote the entire Philippines.

that's true ... they are all one and the same.

Frankly speaking, I don't think Ilonggo will purely understand what a Cebuano is talking about. There are few terms we shared but very unlikely that we can communicate with each other using our own dialects. Probably at times, we can put two and two together using sign langauage of things we mean, etc but really, (as we tried it here with some of my Cebuano friends) it is very difficult indeed. Cebuano dialect is more like of Bisaya in Mindanao. But lately I have noticed this that Cebuano and Bisaya dialects are different as wel. Bisaya, spoken by people in most Mindanao areas especially in Davao and Cagayan de Oro used other terms as well to means something. Bisaya dialect if you will also notice is a mixture of Ilonggo and Cebuano in nature. Though Cebuanos are claiming that Bisaya is their own langauage, Cebu itself doesn't recognised so. If you have checked several infos, Cebu people are called Cebuano and Cebu dialect are known as Cebuano not Bisaya. Bisaya dialect is a dialect known by Mindanaonons.

#100 · (Edited)
rusty18 said:
this is so unfortunate. ive also read somewhere regarding bacolod vs iloilo vs cebu vs davao? which is the queen city, the richer city this and that... each city or province has its own unique identity and our country has so much to offer. We went to Dgte few years ago by the way and i love the place, peaceful and romantic. dolphin watching was an amazing experience, somewhere in Bais i think... it was a long time ago and was still a kiddo, not even sure if it was in Bais! hahaha.. apo island's great too. i hope someone could post photos of that beautiful place. :)

what a palabra, indeed .. queen city of the south? richer city? ... it's just so funny, indeed ... things like this title or whatever ... both Iloilo and Cebu are claiming to be the Queen City of the South .. I know, Iloilo was a former Queen City and Cebu is the recent one. Iloilo once hold the title due to sugar boom in the past .. making it the gateway of Visayas and Mindanao in terms of sugar exportation around the globe. You can check almost all the history books about it (even wikipedia.com says so) then. In promotion abroad, Iloilo at times is still recognise as the Queen City however, we must be factual that it was 30 years ago, Cebu dethroned Iloilo as the Queen City around '80s.

With Bacolod City and Davao City vying for the title, I have no idea of it at all. Negros (inc Bacolod City) to me will always be the Sugar Capital of the Philippines. And Bacolod holds the title "City of Smiles" ... it's because of this that Masskara of Baocolod blooms.

Richer city? ... that I have no idea as well. Do you mean in terms of city income? resident's GDP? famous people living in the area? etc? ... very vague .. i don't think this will be of great concern.

Bickering around is one of our habits, isn't it? But you know what Rusty, this competition is okay as long as it is healthy. It will help each of this city to prove their worth in terms of development, income, infras, tourism, etc. Let's make and keep it that way.