search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Norway

Norway » Oslo | Trondheim

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 31st, 2009, 12:38 AM   #1
OSL International

Likes (Received): 2

City development in Kongsvinger

City development in Kongsvinger

In 2007 Kongsvinger Kommune (city council) decided upon a new development plan for the city located ca. 85 kilometres from Oslo International Airport and ca. 30 kilometres from Sweden. The development plan includes improving elements such as traffic, streets, green spaces, esthetics and cultural heritage sites in the Central Business District (CBD) of Kongsvinger. In addition to the projects related to the city development plan, there are also other interesting projects going on in Kongsvinger as well. This thread is therefore open to all postings on the general city development in Kongsvinger.

In 2009 Kongsvinger was awarded the "City development price" (Bymiljøprisen) for successfully integrating cultural heritage sites as part of the urban development of the city. The first major project that was completed in the Kongsvinger CBD after the development plan was ratified, was the new community library, which is integrated into the new high school (Sentrum Videregående Skole). Both the library and the high school are located by the city square:

Last edited by OSL International; November 1st, 2009 at 05:53 PM.
OSL International no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2009, 12:42 AM   #2
Þróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2263

Very interesting project(s) though, but would be better if you added some renderings/pictures to the thread. I think it will be more interesting that way.

And fix the links, they have a http:// to much.
Þróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 05:25 PM   #3
OSL International

The following projects are under planning for the Kongsvinger CBD:

Construction of a new hotel, cultural centre and city hall ("Rådhuskvartalet")

Expansion to the city shopping mall (Kongssenteret)

Redevelop the Kongsvinger fortress as a conference centre, including accommodation and restaurant facilities

Construction of a new shopping centre and apartments, called the "Haugekvartalet"

Last edited by OSL International; November 1st, 2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old November 1st, 2009, 06:10 PM   #4
dexter26
BANNED

Likes (Received): 611

Kongsvinger CBD? Lol, does it even have one? Wouldn't it be more in tune with reality to call it Kongsvinger Sentrum/or city center in English?

Personally I'm not even sure if I'd say Oslo has a "CBD," even if it has something starting to look a bit like it. But it's still sentrum or downtown the way I see it.
dexter26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 07:44 PM   #5
kjetilab
YIMBYer.no

Likes (Received): 274

I've even seen the CBD-term used about the "shopping district" in the slums outside Cape Town, so why not?
kjetilab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 07:58 PM   #6
OSL International

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter26 View Post
Kongsvinger CBD? Lol, does it even have one? Wouldn't it be more in tune with reality to call it Kongsvinger Sentrum/or city center in English?

Personally I'm not even sure if I'd say Oslo has a "CBD," even if it has something starting to look a bit like it. But it's still sentrum or downtown the way I see it.
The terms "CBD" and "downtown" are often two names for the same thing. In very large cities, like London, the CBD is separate from the downtown area (known as "the City"), but in Brisbane, Australia (which has ca. 2 million inhabitants) the CBD is what defines the city centre/downtown area. The way I see it, the term "CBD" is not reserved for large cities, but rather defines the city centre in any city/town. That is why I have chosen to use the term.

Last edited by OSL International; November 1st, 2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old November 1st, 2009, 11:31 PM   #7
dexter26
BANNED

Likes (Received): 611

Ok, maybe I just had the wrong impression of the term, then. I guess you may be right thinking about it - central business district = any central area where business is conducted, yeah makes sense
dexter26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 01:20 PM   #8
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 583

Interesting, i'm glad you made this tread If my hometown had any good development i would make one aswell....
Old November 8th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #9
OSL International

New renderings of the proposed "Rådhuskvartalet" project for the Kongsvinger CBD.

Kongsvinger Kommune (City Council) are proposing to build a new city hall, hotel, cinema, theatre, restaurant, "service torg" and kiosk in the Kongsvinger CBD. The Kongsvinger City Council presented renderings of their proposed "Rådhuskvartalet"-project on Friday. The council will make a decision 10 December 2009 as to whether this project will be carried ahead.

Here are some renderings of the proposed project:

Galro liked this post
Old November 8th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #10
Þróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2263

that looks like a very good project, hopefully it will be approved in december. will be looking forward to hear their decision!
Þróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #11
OSL International

Devlopment of the Kongsvinger fortress

Kongsvinger's local newspaper Glåmdalen recently presented the development plans for the Kongsvinger fortress. The plans include refurbishing the existing heritage listed buildings and make them into a new hotel, restaurant and conference centre. The fortress will still be open to the public after the redevelopment has taken place. Any ideas as to which company/chain would be suitable to run a hotel and restaurant of a historic calibre like this?

Here is a rendering of the project:

Here is a picture of the Kongsvinger fortress in winter:

Old November 21st, 2009, 03:25 PM   #12
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 583

^ In Halden we have both hotel and 2 restaurants running in our fortress, the hotel is run by Iss, and one of the restaurants has reputation as being the best in all of Østfold.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:05 PM   #13
OSL International

The Kongsvinger City Council decided on 1 December that they will move ahead with the new "Rådhuskvartalet"-project subject to some conditions. Some of the conditions are that the overall project costs are reduced, that the council shall own the City Hall, that the City Hall can fit all of the council's employees instead of spreading them around in offices around the city as initally proposed.

Apparently the council is in contact with 6-7 potential hotel chains that might want to open a new hotel in Kongsvinger. The outcome of the hotel negotiations is central with regards to the development of the project. Any ideas which type of hotels would be good for Kongsvinger? I personally think Rezidor's Park Inn or Marriott's Courtyard concepts would fit the market in Kongsvinger perfectly.
Old March 26th, 2010, 01:44 AM   #14
OSL International

The Kongsvinger "Kulturkvartal" is going ahead!

Tonight the local politicians in Kongsvinger had a final vote as to whether the "Kulturkvartalet" (previously known, and mentioned here as the "Rådhuskvartalet") would go ahead. 18 people voted for, while 15 people were against the proposal.

A key element to for the project to be economically feasable, is for a hotel chain to develop a new hotel. Does anyone know of hotel chains that would suit Kongsvinger (relatively small town, but with a good flow of people passing through to go to Sweden or Oslo)?

I personally think Park Inn or another 3 star hotel concept would work. A four star hotel concept like Radisson or Double Tree could also work, but I don't think there is a market for a 5 star hotel right now.
Old March 26th, 2010, 01:46 AM   #15
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 872

Rica usually make good, succesful and affordable hotels, in my experience.

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 02:14 AM   #16
OSL International

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCheese View Post
Rica usually make good, succesful and affordable hotels, in my experience.
Yeah, I think Rica would be a good option. As would Scandic. Thon has a hotel just across the Swedish border about 30 minutes away. Otherwise there is only one mediocre hotel in Kongsvinger (Vinger Hotell). I therefore think that any new hotel chain would do well in Kongsvinger, especially since it will be located right down town in the CDB.
Old May 9th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #17
OSL International

Development of Gjemselund Stadium in Kongsvinger

I found some plans for developing the Gjemselund Stadium in Kongsvinger. These plans are from late 2008, so I don't know where in the pipeline this project is right now (May 2010). Nevertheless, very interesting plans, including a high rise hotel / apartment building.

Here is a link to one of the development proposals with a high rise hotel: http://www.kongsvinger.kommune.no/Do...%20rapport.pdf
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #18
OSL International

Business development in Kongsvingers old town Øvrebyen

The Kongsvinger city council) has a strategy to link the fortress and old town more with the newer down town area (CBD). As a part of this strategy they are trying to get more life into Kongsvinger's old town, Øvrebyen. With regards to this, the city council i seeking people to start a business in one of Kongsvinger's oldest houses, the Hultgrengården. The city council is open for people to start a restaurant, a museum, art gallery, café, theatre or other suitable establishments in the house.

Information about the project is located at: http://www.kongsvinger.kommune.no/Do...%C3%A5rden.pdf
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:28 PM   #19
OSL International

Business development in Kongsvinger's old town Øvrebyen

The Kongsvinger city council) has a strategy to link the fortress and old town more with the newer down town area (CBD). As a part of this strategy they are trying to get more life into Kongsvinger's old town, Øvrebyen. With regards to this, the city council i seeking people to start a business in one of Kongsvinger's oldest houses, the Hultgrengården. The city council is open for people to start a restaurant, a museum, art gallery, café, theatre or other suitable establishments in the house.

Information about the project is located at: http://www.kongsvinger.kommune.no/Do...%C3%A5rden.pdf
Old June 1st, 2010, 09:13 PM   #20
Nuriel
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Very intresting article,thank you for sharing it with us!

Nuriel no está en línea   Reply With Quote