search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains

Midwest and Plains MN, WI, IL, IN, OH, MO
» Development News | Chicago| Green Bay | Indianapolis | Milwaukee | Minneapolis / St. Paul

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 16th, 2006, 10:50 PM   #41
The anti-cheesehead

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
so then cali is the king of ****-wits? the east coast the king of douche bags? is that how it works, cheesehead? what's the south, the king of red necks?

your need to sterotype and regionalize everything is embarassing, cheesehead (and i'm not singling you out as the lone insecure, ****-witted, douche in this thread, you just happened to be the first to respond to my post)

do you live in SSC land or the real world?
First of all, I don't even know what "****-witted" means. I guess I'm "****-witted" because I wouldn't mind living in southern California and because I called some midwesterners on their insecurity.....ah...errr....I mean pride. If having an opinion and a preference and recognizing the differences between the different regions in the US is "stereotyping and regionalizing", I'm guilty.

So, if we're not supposed to "regionalize", does that mean that all of the regions are the same? Does that mean that everyone should appreciate them all equally? No preferences? Nobody would fight, nobody's feelings would be hurt, and we'd all be happy, right?

The midwest is not my favorite region. I like LA. I'd rather go to NYC than Chicago. Who else wants to cry about that? I'm flattered that people care that much about my opinion.

Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2006, 11:37 PM   #42
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Likes (Received): 1283

^ all that, and you didn't even answer my question. either way, i can glean enough from that post to conclude that you do probably live in SSC land. that's not the end of the world though, as many people around here are like you.

the funny thing is that you actually believe i would care where you choose to live. trust me, i am not capable of caring about it any less. "live where you want; a place that makes you happy" that's my motto. if that place is so-cal for you, that's fantastic, but at least have the common courtesy to respect the fact that other people prefer other places to live. the midwest may not be your favorite place in the world, but you need to recognize that it is for those of us who love to live here, and you disparaging this place is no better than all the insecure ****-tard midwesteners who feel the need to constantly rip on cali. of course you are entitled to have your preferences, but don't be a jack-ass about it.

btw, ****-wit is a synonym for shit-head or dumb-****.
Old March 17th, 2006, 12:25 AM   #43
The anti-cheesehead

Quote:
^ all that, and you didn't even answer my question. either way, i can glean enough from that post to conclude that you do probably live in SSC land. that's not the end of the world though, as many people around here are like you.

the funny thing is that you actually believe i would care where you choose to live. trust me, i am not capable of caring about it any less. "live where you want; a place that makes you happy" that's my motto. if that place is so-cal for you, that's fantastic, but at least have the common courtesy to respect the fact that other people prefer other places to live. the midwest may not be your favorite place in the world, but you need to recognize that it is for those of us who love to live here, and you disparaging this place is no better than all the insecure ****-tard midwesteners who feel the need to constantly rip on cali. of course you are entitled to have your preferences, but don't be a jack-ass about it.

btw, ****-wit is a synonym for shit-head or dumb-****.
And this ALL started when I jokingly called the midwest a "dump" and said that I hopefully won't live here forever. The "dump" part was half joke, the other part wasn't.

This thread asks a question: "Are you a midwesterner for life" and I answered honestly. Obviously I was too honest judging by the amount of pants pooping that happened afterwards.

Quote:
but at least have the common courtesy to respect the fact that other people prefer other places to live.
That's MY point, not yours! If you don't want honest answers to the question in this thread, don't read this thread.

Funny how you'll respond to my posts, but you ignore posts that claim 99% of LA is crap and it'll make you depressed.

And no, I don't live in SSC land, or narnia as some would call it. I can rip on my home region, I can take criticism, I accept the region's shortcomings, unlike almost EVERYBODY ELSE in here.
Old March 17th, 2006, 12:40 AM   #44
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The anti-cheesehead
Funny how you'll respond to my posts, but you ignore posts that claim 99% of LA is crap and it'll make you depressed.
no, my earlier post about insecure, ****-witted, douches was squarely aimed at the retards making those claims about cali. the part where i was singling you out is an invention of your own mind. you just happened to be the only person who responded to my post. no one else had the balls, because they knew i was speaking the truth.
Old March 17th, 2006, 01:27 AM   #45
The anti-cheesehead

Quote:
no, my earlier post about insecure, ****-witted, douches was squarely aimed at the retards making those claims about cali. the part where i was singling you out is an invention of your own mind.
Oh, OK, as long as I'm not a ****-witted douche, I'm cool.

The midwest is still a trashy dump though, the only redeeming part is Minneapolis...

Old March 17th, 2006, 02:17 AM   #46
Markitect

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
if you want to live on mars, go right ahead.
Pffft...Mercury is way better...and that is an indisputable fact.
Markitect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 02:27 AM   #47
Jeff_in_Dayton

Likes (Received): 1

I'm not sure. For now yes. Should I become unemployed I might move back to California.
Old March 17th, 2006, 03:13 AM   #48
Badgers77
Hi

Likes (Received): 88

Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Madison, Cleveland, St. Louis, none of these cities mean shit to anyone that does not live in the midwest. They are just jokes. Cities in Texas don't really mean shit to anyone either, but I will probably choose to live there. Chicago is the only "real" city in the midwest. You're kidding yourself if you truly think otherwise. A guy from Hong Kong in one of my classes said he didn't even know what Milwaukee or Minneapolis were before coming to college here.

As far as reality is concerned, there are four (or five) "real" cities in the United States.

They are:

New York
Chicago
LA
San Francisco
Maybe Boston

Last edited by Badgers77; March 17th, 2006 at 03:21 AM.
Badgers77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 04:31 AM   #49
Charlie K

This is not directed toward any one person... Why the hell are so many on this thread so down on the midwest? Unbelievable. For God's sake, if you hate where you live so much then quit your job and move away. As someone said earlier on in this thread, it's not that difficult to move. I've done it many times. You might even grow up and realize that where you came from is actually a great place. I happen to think that everyone should move and try new places. It just so happens that I was not happy where I lived, outside of the midwest, and moved to Minneapolis. I'm happy now because I realize that MPLS has a quality of life that can't be beat in most other cities. Additionally, if you dislike where you live as much as it seems from your posts, you must be one hell of an unhappy person and I have to say that it shows loud and clear.

Finally, who cares if one person from Hong Kong has never heard of your city. Does that mean that your city is a dump? Or does it mean that that one person is simply retarded? One person out of 6 billion is NOT enough of a sample to judge a city.
Charlie K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 04:35 AM   #50
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The anti-cheesehead
The midwest is still a trashy dump though, the only redeeming part is Minneapolis.......
and gary. never forget gary.

they've got GARY STYLE!
Old March 17th, 2006, 04:53 AM   #51
UrbanSophist

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie K
I happen to think that everyone should move and try new places.
I agree. No matter what city they're from, people should experience living in another part of the world, different from their own.

Actually, I'd like to suggest a government program that forces everyone to live in each region of the country for at least 2 years.
UrbanSophist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 04:54 AM   #52
Charlie K

Also, I personally can't take anyone's assessment of the region of this country where they live seriously unless I know that they have also lived in another region. I say this because those people that have never moved only have the perspective of other regions by way of either the media (TV, Movies, etc.) or as a tourist. Either way, they are getting a glorified view and the basis for comparison is flawed. Move away, then judge the midwest. In fact, don't judge the midwest.. judge your city or state. The midwest is a large region and every city and state is different. Minneapolis and Kansas City are four hundred miles apart but very different places. Minnesota and Illinois are 'blue states', while Indiana and Iowa are 'red states'. In actuality, the differences among the midwestern states and cities are staggering, when compared to the differences in cities and states within other regions of this country, in my opinion.
Old March 17th, 2006, 04:55 AM   #53
UrbanSophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers77

As far as reality is concerned, there are four (or five) "real" cities in the United States.

They are:

New York
Chicago
LA
San Francisco
Maybe Boston
Oh c'mon... this list of America's "real cities" changes so dang much. It's hard to tell what the actual perception is. Some people wouldn't include Chicago on there. Some people wouldn't include Los Angeles on there. Some people wouldn't include New.. oh... well, I guess that one's pretty universal.
Old March 17th, 2006, 04:55 AM   #54
Charlie K

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSophist
I agree. No matter what city they're from, people should experience living in another part of the world, different from their own.

Actually, I'd like to suggest a government program that forces everyone to live in each region of the country for at least 2 years.
You must live in a 'blue state'.
Old March 17th, 2006, 04:58 AM   #55
UrbanSophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie K
The midwest is a large region and every city and state is different. Minneapolis and Kansas City are four hundred miles apart but very different places. Minnesota and Illinois are 'blue states', while Indiana and Iowa are 'red states'. In actuality, the differences among the midwestern states and cities are staggering, when compared to the differences in cities and states within other regions of this country, in my opinion.
It's true that the term "midwest" is a very broad term. But so is "east coast" and "west coast" and "the South". Technically, some southern states are on the east coast.

I personally think the region titles are too broad.
Old March 17th, 2006, 05:07 AM   #56
Bay2Bay

Likes (Received): 98

With people in the midwest dissing their own region it's no wonder people from other regions pile on. Whenever anyone has something negative to say regarding fashion, style, coolness, or cutting edge they relate it to the midwest. I here this all the time in California and from people I know in the east and even from people in Europe. Many of these people have never even been to the midwest. Years ago it seemed the south had the reputition of being backward, boring, conservative, and unfashionable; but, it seems that the midwest (unfairly in my opinion) has solidifed its hold on that stereotype.
Bay2Bay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 05:08 AM   #57
JivecitySTL
The Jive is Alive.

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers77
Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Madison, Cleveland, St. Louis, none of these cities mean shit to anyone that does not live in the midwest. They are just jokes. Cities in Texas don't really mean shit to anyone either, but I will probably choose to live there. Chicago is the only "real" city in the midwest. You're kidding yourself if you truly think otherwise. A guy from Hong Kong in one of my classes said he didn't even know what Milwaukee or Minneapolis were before coming to college here.

They are:

New York
Chicago
LA
San Francisco
Maybe Boston
You're probably right, but it goes both ways. I doubt many people in places like Minneapolis, Cleveland, St. Louis, Detroit, etc are too preoccupied with the popular cities you mentioned. Sure, they're "sexier" and fun to visit, but what average Detroiter really gives a shit about San Francisco or LA?
Old March 17th, 2006, 05:10 AM   #58
Charlie K

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSophist
It's true that the term "midwest" is a very broad term. But so is "east coast" and "west coast" and "the South". Technically, some southern states are on the east coast.

I personally think the region titles are too broad.
Yep, I agree. That's why when I hear people that live in the midwest, bash the midwest, I have to remind myself that they are probably not truly bashing where I live because where I live is probably very different than where they live.
Old March 17th, 2006, 05:21 AM   #59
Charlie K

Quote:
Originally Posted by JivecitySTL
You're probably right, but it goes both ways. I doubt many people in places like Minneapolis, Cleveland, St. Louis, Detroit, etc are too preoccupied with the popular cities you mentioned. Sure, they're "sexier" and fun to visit, but what average Detroiter really gives a shit about San Francisco or LA?
I agree with you Jive. Living in and loving Minneapolis, I could care less what NY or LA thinks. Strictly from my perspective, all I know is that Minneapolis is flying under the national/international radar in many ways and when people from other cities and countries visit MPLS they are always pleasantly surprised at the urbanity, progressiveness, size and culture of Minneapolis. I'd rather be in this position than in the position where others have a glorified view of my city and then are disappointed when they visit.
Old March 17th, 2006, 05:30 AM   #60
style515
BANNED

I can't believe some of you actually expect people to say they'd rather live in Indianapolis or Cleveland over NY or LA.
style515 no está en línea   Reply With Quote