search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains

Midwest and Plains MN, WI, IL, IN, OH, MO
» Development News | Chicago| Green Bay | Indianapolis | Milwaukee | Minneapolis / St. Paul

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 18th, 2006, 05:19 AM   #81
Charlie K

Likes (Received): 0

Expat, I couldn't agree more with all of your posts above.

Cheesehead, I would be curious to know where you have lived in the course of your life. If you are willing to share, I think it might help us understand your point of view.

Last edited by Charlie K; March 18th, 2006 at 05:37 AM.
Charlie K no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2006, 05:23 AM   #82
sargeantcm
Hee Hee!

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by style515
I can't believe some of you actually expect people to say they'd rather live in Indianapolis or Cleveland over NY or LA.
I can't believe not everybody thinks like you. That just might save humanity.
sargeantcm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 05:32 AM   #83
MplsTodd

Likes (Received): 49

Except for 4.5 very enjoyable years in New Jersey, a summer in Wash. DC and a fall in London,UK, I've lived in the Midwest my whole life (Minneapolis and Madison). I like the Midwest and feel very comfortable here (especially the Twin Cities and Madison, which are my favorite places in the midwest). Am I here for life? Who knows? There are lots of places I could see living in--the Pacific NW (Seattle, Portland, Vancouver BC), or parts of the northeast -- I liked New Jersey (lots of towns with interesting little dwtns connected to NYC via NJ Transit), Portland Maine is pretty nice as is parts of Virginia. While I'm a definite urbanist, I also like the terrain around Bozeman and Livingston, MT and liked their nice downtowns.

The point is there are lots of great places to live in a physical sense. But family and friends and a comfort level with my hometown of Mpls keeps me here. Minneapolis isn't as glamorous as NYC, SF, LA or even Chicago (and it's single LRT line is pretty limited compared to most other larger cities), but every place has trade-offs and it does offer a high quality of life (though I'm less than thrilled about our recent governors). I know that I'm a northerner, can't see myself living in the sunbelt (except for California if I inherited lots of money), but I enjoy traveling ANYWHERE.
MplsTodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 05:33 AM   #84
Hecago

Likes (Received): 4

Yes, but it's more of a Chicago thing than a midwestern thing. Chicago will always be the place I call home, even if I move. Whenever I start having doubts about this city, I wait for a nice day, and take a walk by montrose hill, along the bikepath, through lincoln park along the lakefront, and through downtown, I fall in love with Chicago all over again, and I really that this is the place that I truly wish to stay for the rest of my life. If Chicago just happens to be in the Midwest, fine with me.
Hecago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 05:44 AM   #85
Charlie K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecago
Yes, but it's more of a Chicago thing than a midwestern thing. Chicago will always be the place I call home, even if I move. Whenever I start having doubts about this city, I wait for a nice day, and take a walk by montrose hill, along the bikepath, through lincoln park along the lakefront, and through downtown, I fall in love with Chicago all over again, and I really that this is the place that I truly wish to stay for the rest of my life. If Chicago just happens to be in the Midwest, fine with me.
Hecago, this is exactly how I feel about Minneapolis. We got 20 inches of snow over the course of this week and I am over it. However, I know that some of the best summer weather in the USA is just around the corner for us in Minnesota. I will rollerblade around the city lakes of MPLS, work on my yard, swim with my nephews and nieces in my pool, walk my dogs around the lakes and see the new skyscrapers raise from the ground downtown, etc. etc. I will once again be reminded why I love Minneapolis and why I do not want to live anywhere else.
Old March 18th, 2006, 05:59 AM   #86
Hecago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie K
Hecago, this is exactly how I feel about Minneapolis. We got 20 inches of snow over the course of this week and I am over it. However, I know that some of the best summer weather in the USA is just around the corner for us in Minnesota. I will rollerblade around the city lakes of MPLS, work on my yard, swim with my nephews and nieces in my pool, walk my dogs around the lakes and see the new skyscrapers raise from the ground downtown, etc. etc. I will once again be reminded why I love Minneapolis and why I do not want to live anywhere else.
Exactly, that's why it annoys me when people stick around in cities that they clearly don't like, intead of exploring and finding a place that they do. It is incredible to live in a city that you truly love. I have met alot of people who live in Chicago, and are clearly able to move, but the choose to stay here and gripe about it.( Remember Evangelion, Chicago forumers?)

So I say, if you don't like where you are, EXPLORE the world and find your place.
Old March 18th, 2006, 06:07 AM   #87
UrbanSophist

Likes (Received): 44

^ Well, leaving isn't always an option for everyone. I just get annoyed with people who are committed to being dissatisfied with something/someplace.

But that's just how some people are. Whaddya gonna do?
UrbanSophist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 06:13 AM   #88
Charlie K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecago
Exactly, that's why it annoys me when people stick around in cities that they clearly don't like, intead of exploring and finding a place that they do. It is incredible to live in a city that you truly love. I have met alot of people who live in Chicago, and are clearly able to move, but the choose to stay here and gripe about it.( Remember Evangelion, Chicago forumers?)

So I say, if you don't like where you are, EXPLORE the world and find your place.
Yet again, I agree with you. As I've said several times above, I've lived in various places around the country and I 'chose' to move to Minneapolis a few years ago. I love it here. If I get down on the city, which I do in the late winter, I travel or spend more time in the gym, etc. My experiences with other places has driven home to me what I want from a city. Minneapolis gives me what I want. Conversely, my twin brother lived in MPLS and chose to pick up and move to NYC three years ago. He lives in the heart of lower Manhattan and loves it. He can't see himself anywhere else. I absolutely love that he also took a risk and moved. His risk payed off for him as well.
Old March 18th, 2006, 06:43 AM   #89
UrbanSophist

Quote:
Speaking of weather...

This past week I was thinking about how it is already March and still cold. I looked up temperatures around the country and its still cold for everyone. Low 40s in NY, Boston, and Chicago. Mid 30s in Minneapolis. Heck, even L.A. is in the 50s (which would be cold for them... ).
Old March 18th, 2006, 10:36 AM   #90
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

I'm not sure I'll be in the midwest forever. I'd like to make a way to New York.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #91
Hecago

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogen
I'm not sure I'll be in the midwest forever. I'd like to make a way to New York.
TTruthfully New York is the ONLY place I would even consider moving.
Old March 18th, 2006, 11:35 PM   #92
The anti-cheesehead

Quote:
Expat, I couldn't agree more with all of your posts above.

Cheesehead, I would be curious to know where you have lived in the course of your life. If you are willing to share, I think it might help us understand your point of view.
I've lived here almost my whole life. I lived in a small town in Wisconsin (Menomonie) when I was going to college. Right now, I live right on the light rail line and take it to work in downtown M-F. I've worked in downtown for almost 5 years. In the summer, I'm on the Grand Rounds or the Greenway at least 3 times a week on my bike, it depends on the weather. I'm really close to Minnehaha Falls, and I'll ride the path along the creek through south Minneapolis all the way to Harriet and Calhoun. I'm also close to St. Paul, I often ride over the Ford Bridge to my friends near Macalaster. I came back here after college because I needed a good job and a lot of my friends from college and high school lived here. I pretty much know what Minneapolis has to offer. I don't have any kids, and I don't think I'm getting married anytime soon. How long have all of you other Minneapolis forumers lived here?

I've also been all over the US in my adult life, either for work, or visiting friends that have moved. Since I've been out of college, I've have been to San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, New York, Atlantic City, Harford, Boston, Washington DC, ...most more than one time, some for extended periods of time. I spent a lot of time in Chicago growing up because my Mom and her side of the family is from there. I still go down there 1 or 2 times a year.

From my experience, and in my opinion, I think the Northeast and California are more interesting than the midwest.

Now is the time for people in here to tell me that they've lived in the Northeast and California and that they're not that great.
Old March 21st, 2006, 02:38 AM   #93
Hecago

Quote:
Now is the time for people in here to tell me that they've lived in the Northeast and California and that they're not that great.
Actually I agree that The NortEst and California are more interesting, but not necessarily where I would want to live.
Old March 21st, 2006, 05:05 AM   #94
AtlantaGA

I'm in Kansas City on business, as I write this reply. While a nice city and metro in it's own right, it is amazing how different it is here compared to Minneapolis. It seems that everything about it is different... the people, the size, the architecture, the density, the landscape. I could go on and on. My point is that the midwest really is a diverse place.
AtlantaGA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 05:10 AM   #95
STLgasm
Live from red brick mama

Likes (Received): 1

I have tossed around the idea of living in New York to be with my on-again/off-again girlfriend who moved there, but I know I'd miss St. Louis immensely. But my apartment would be so decked out with STL stuff that it would be like I never left!
STLgasm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 05:18 AM   #96
AtlantaGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm
I have tossed around the idea of living in New York to be with my on-again/off-again girlfriend who moved there, but I know I'd miss St. Louis immensely. But my apartment would be so decked out with STL stuff that it would be like I never left!
You do love your STL! I admire that about you.
AtlantaGA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 05:18 AM   #97
UrbanSophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGA
My point is that the midwest really is a diverse place.
Yes. That is true.
Old March 21st, 2006, 08:35 AM   #98
Cincinnatus
JUNCTA JUVANT

Cincinnati for life.
Cincinnatus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 05:03 AM   #99
schreck

Born and raised here in Cedar Falls, Iowa. I feel quite fortunate for the opportunities that I have had here. Quality schools, good people, and barely any crime. I appreciate the lack off bad-ass kids that think they're the shit because they have a hand gun and made up their own gang. Cedar Falls has treated me well and I won't forget the good experiences and people that I have come across here.

With that said, I am 16 years old and in my junior year. After next year I plan on moving to South Florida to attend college. I guess UF isn't out of the question either. I have relatives that live in the Fort Myers, FL (I typically spend around 1 month each year there), and I really appreciate and enjoy the weather. The topography, climate, and totally different life style is what has drawn me there.

Although I feel fortunate for being able to have the opportunity to grow up here, the weather is just too damn cold for me. I love golf and warm weather. I won't forget my roots, though.

Alex
schreck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:20 AM   #100
waynestatekid

For myself I always know I am coming back to Detroit. I would love to experience something different and am looking into studying abroad now. Detroit has so much charm to it and hardocre grit and kick ass attitude that it is too good to leave. But at the same time there is so much wrong and the economy sucks here so why should I stay. I have so much pride for the city that I could not leave it. The little things are cool too like driving to school and seeing the giant tire along I-94, or the amazing skyline over the rouge river bridge. Or looking at the redevelopment in the core along woodward or Michigan.

Ive seen other big cities Chicago is amazing and feels like Detroit in alot of ways so I could see myself living there for a bit. NYC is awesome but so big that I dont see myself there. And DC is cool too which again I could see myself there for a bit. But I will end up back in Detroit, and that is okay with me.
waynestatekid no está en línea   Reply With Quote