daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Speakers' Corner

Speakers' Corner For London related discussion

Old July 19th, 2005, 01:09 PM   #1
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 839

London 2012 - Skybar and News

Seeing as the other thread has gone...

The next 100 days - hitting the ground running

London 2012 Chairman Sebastian Coe has revealed the next steps as the capital begins planning for the the 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games.

The double Olympic champion confirmed that he will take up the role of Chairman of the London Organising Committee for the Olympic Games (LOCOG) and said that the first LOCOC board meeting will take place before the end of the month.

"The last few days has been an emotional period for London and for the whole of the country," Lord Coe told a press conference in Canary Wharf.

"The tragic events of 7 July have affected us all but have also made Londoners and the bid team ever more resilient, determined and united to deliver the best Games ever.

"Nine days into our life as a Host City, we have moved into a different phase delivering a complex multi-faceted project."

The bid leader pledged that work on the London Games would begin immediately and outlined the structure of the LOCOG team.

London 2012 Chief Executive Keith Mills will become Deputy Chairman of LOCOG, and a new Chief Executive will be recruited over the coming months.

And a transition team of approximately 50 people has already been put in place to ensure key priorities are addressed while LOCOG is established.

An Olympic Bill has already been introduced to Parliament, and Olympic Lottery Scratchcards, which will play a key role in funding the 2012 Games, will go on sale within weeks.

The bid leader also reiterated the vision for the Games that London outlined to the International Olympic Committee in Singapore.

"Our plans are about more than just bricks and mortar or financial packages," he said.

"We set out a vision in Singapore and we are now calling on all relevant agencies in the UK to work with us to deliver it.

"This is about inspiring more young people to become involved in sport and giving the young athletes the help they need to become champions of the future."

In the wake of the London terrorist bombings, Lord Coe also addressed the issue of security for the 2012 Games.

He stressed the key role security experts had played in London's bid and said that creating a new Olympic Park would mean secuity measures would be 'designed in' from day one.

Lord Coe also outlined plans for a Cabinet-level Olympic Security Committee, which would be Chaired by the Home Secretary and would include senior representatives from the security services.

15 July 2005

Visit Grantham Linconshire

*Help me feel even more self-righteous, PLEASE SPONSOR ME as I trek Ben Nevis in aid of the Willow Trust.*
eddyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 19th, 2005, 04:42 PM   #2
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

Likes (Received): 32

Good post EddyK,

Re the Rail links:

we have the CTRL due to be competed by 2007
The Docklands Light Railway extension to London Airport competed in December of this year
The Docklands Light Railway extension to North Woolwich has just been started.
The Docklands Light Railway extension to Stratford International (aproval to be granted this summer, construction due to start there after and is due to be completed by 2009.
The Docklands Light Railway will have extended it's platforms and services to carry 3 carriages by 2010
The East London Line, construction is due to start next year (some prep work has already started on bridges etc, it is due to be completed by 2010.
The Jubilee Line is to improve it's signalling systems to increase the number of trains being carried.

So Tranport wise, I think we are on top already.

I also found the following in Saturday's Telegraph, it highlights what needs to be done and what is being done as regards planning etc.

Leading London 2012 to victory may have established Sebastian Coe and Keith Mills as one of British sport's great double acts but they warned yesterday that there will be no sudden transformation of the host city.

On the day it was confirmed that security for the Games would cost £200 million, Mills emphasised that the mechanics of making the Olympics happen will mean that the first six months are taken up with planning and preparation rather than developing and digging.

Mills, who revealed that he will be Coe's deputy chairman in the London Organising Committee for the Olympic Games, said: "We have to make sure no time is lost. All the advice from previous host cities, like Sydney and Athens, is that we will need all of the seven years to 2012.

"But there is a lot of planning to do so don't expect to see Olympic stadiums sprouting up before Christmas or major sponsors being announced before next year."

It is not as if London 2012 is starting from scratch, however. With the Games still to be won, Coe and Mills had already prepared their response to winning and losing before last week's International Olympic Committee vote in Singapore.

"We did have very well made plans and I'm pleased that we are now talking about Plan A because the alternative was very much shorter," Mills said.

The Olympic Games in London will be organised by LOCOG, with an Olympic Delivery Authority responsible for the infrastructure, the buildings, roads and railways.

An Olympic Board, consisting of the Minister for the Olympics, Tessa Jowell, the chairman of the British Olympic Committee, Craig Reedie, the Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone, and Coe will co-ordinate the organisation and resolve any disputes.

The ODA will be established as a result of the Olympic Bill, which began its passage through Parliament yesterday.

Before any of this, however, the organisation of the Games will begin with a transitory board of LOCOG, which will meet for the first time this month and begin operating next month.

Already, 50 key members of the bid team have transferred to the transitory company. These include those in charge of the sports as well as the marketing, commercial and financial operations.

With the Olympic Bill expected to take up to six months before it becomes law, the work of the ODA will be taken up by the London Development Agency.

Immediate tasks include securing the rest of the land needed for the Olympic Park in Stratford and finding new premises for the entire London 2012 operation.

Mills and Coe stressed that the most critical appointment still to be made was that of a chief executive for LOCOG.

A firm of headhunters will be appointed later this summer. Coe said: "We want somebody who is, frankly, of the highest commercial quality. This is probably the most important role in the organisation."

Coe said that security would remain a priority, adding that the work from now on would be dedicated to those who lost their lives in the London bombings.

A Cabinet-level Olympic security committee, chaired by the Home Secretary, Charles Clarke, will oversee the 2012 Games.

Coe said: "We made it very clear in our bid that security would be the most important concept in the 17 themes of our candidate file. Security has underpinned everything to date in our plans."

He said Britain had provided expertise for previous Games through former Metropolitan Police chief Peter Ryan and Sir David Veness, a former assistant commissioner.

"Policing and security in this country has been central to security at the last four Olympic Games and those experts will continue to work closely with us," Coe said. "There has hardly been a major sporting event anywhere in the world in the last 20 years which has not been underpinned by British security expertise."

He said that the security budget for 2012 was £200 million, of which £25 million was specifically dedicated to internal security inside Olympic venues.

He added: "I think we have a good story to tell on security. I still think this is an extremely safe city for any event to take place."

The passion Coe showed in his winning presentation in Singapore surfaced again when he talked of the Games' impact on youngsters, both in Britain and around the world.

He said bid ambassadors, such as Dame Kelly Holmes, David Beckham and Sir Steve Redgrave, would continue their work in encouraging people to get involved in the Games and in sport.

"We made it very clear in our presentations to the IOC that our commitment was to get more young people back into sport," said Coe. "Those weren't just warm words to secure votes. I am determined to deliver on what we said.

"We are organising an Olympic Games and not UK Sport or Sport England, whose role it is to promote sport. But I will be watching like a hawk to make sure we don't slip in our commitment to youngsters. That is a major goal. I want more British athletes on the medal rostrum and more young people into sport, both here and abroad."
Zim Flyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2005, 05:39 PM   #3
pricemazda
King of Wishful Thinking

Likes (Received): 621

did the hacker strike in the original thread?
Old July 19th, 2005, 09:07 PM   #4
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricemazda
did the hacker strike in the original thread?
yah, he must have been French
Old July 19th, 2005, 09:14 PM   #5
pricemazda
King of Wishful Thinking

why don't we know who the hacker was?

Thomas B? Asimov? Who?
Old July 19th, 2005, 09:17 PM   #6
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

Quote:
why don't we know who the hacker was?

Thomas B? Asimov? Who?
I heard it was some loser from Perth.
Old July 19th, 2005, 09:18 PM   #7
pricemazda
King of Wishful Thinking

perth4life?
Old July 19th, 2005, 09:24 PM   #8
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

Quote:
perth4life?
yah that's him, but that was on Sunday night, so I don't know if that is still the case.

Who ever it was, they had a problem with Early Bird, WilJfox, Pobbie Rarr and Gothicform as they had all their posts wiped.
Old July 19th, 2005, 09:28 PM   #9
pricemazda
King of Wishful Thinking

zim do me a favour and help me out in the Manchester BBC sport thread. They have gone mental when they have misunderstood what I said.
Old July 20th, 2005, 12:32 AM   #10
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Im lucky then.

Me and perth4life had some big arguments in the past, some not so pretty moments via PM.

EDIT:
Just had a look, Perth4life is still a registered user.

*Help me feel even more self-righteous, PLEASE SPONSOR ME as I trek Ben Nevis in aid of the Willow Trust.*
Old July 20th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #11
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyk
Im lucky then.

Me and perth4life had some big arguments in the past, some not so pretty moments via PM.

EDIT:
Just had a look, Perth4life is still a registered user.
oops I think I have just slandered someone then, apologies perth4life.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 09:16 PM   #12
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

Found this from the Chinese news agency of all places:

Culture Secretary of Great Britain Tessa Jowell urged the country to ignore "skepticism" around the London 2012 Olympic Games when she outlined measures in the London Olympics Bill on Thursday.

"I am quite sure that in the years ahead we will see...doses of skepticism as the plans for implementing the Games are rightly subject to scrutiny," she said.

"I hope that healthy skepticism will not tip over into unhealthy cynicism because as a nation we have an opportunity we have to seize."

The Olympics Bill sets up the Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) to ensure that the multi-billion pound investment in venues, athlete accommodation and transport links is delivered on time andwithin budget.

"The importance of the ODA to the Olympic project is evident: asingle body with a clear task accountable to Parliament," she noted.

"The Bill we debate today is further evidence of our determination to get moving, to set up the structures to make the Games actually happen and to make sure that the public interest isprotected, that public money is properly spent.

"So that the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games are delivered ontime and on budget.

"Delivering the 2012 Games and the Paralympic Games will be a challenge like no other," she added.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 01:00 AM   #13
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Yeah I was watching it live on the Parliment channel.

Some woman gave a speech on why we should be celebrating winning the olympics and not be put down by the terrorists...we should be out there and party she said.

I was thinking...it all happend 2 weeks ago...bit stupid celebrating now.

Old July 23rd, 2005, 02:50 AM   #14
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 13

We are going to upstage Beijing, Athens, Sydeny, Barcelona etc etc - EVERYONE!!

London will be the first city in the world to host three Olympic games. And wasn't it fun winning the most competitive bid in Olympic history? London defeats arch rivals Paris and New York - I like that....
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 04:18 AM   #15
Medo

Likes (Received): 308

/\ as if they ever had a chance against London
Medo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 12:32 AM   #16
high_flyer

Likes (Received): 9

Only when they start building the Olympic Park will it really sink in that we are hosting the Games.

I think the Chinese are going to put on one hell of a show in 2008, they will want to show off to the world about how great their country is
high_flyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 08:39 AM   #17
dronkula

Likes (Received): 8

By the way, tomorrow they're launching the first of the new National Lottery Olympic Scratchcard Games.

And, 7 years today will be the opening day of the Games!
dronkula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 08:53 AM   #18
potto

Likes (Received): 1315

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_flyer
Only when they start building the Olympic Park will it really sink in that we are hosting the Games.

I think the Chinese are going to put on one hell of a show in 2008, they will want to show off to the world about how great their country is
yeah there will be a nuclear missile parade and architectual showpieces designed in the West!
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 09:43 AM   #19
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronkula
By the way, tomorrow they're launching the first of the new National Lottery Olympic Scratchcard Games.

And, 7 years today will be the opening day of the Games!
Yep, from today's BBC News Online:

The first lottery game to raise funds for the London 2012 Olympics and Paralympics is set to be unveiled.
The National Lottery has the task of raising £1.5bn for the Games - about two thirds of the total cost.

The new scratch card game is being launched on Wednesday, exactly seven years before the London Games start.

Sebastian Coe, Chairman of London 2012, will be joined by Olympics Minister Tessa Jowell and an array of gold medal winners to launch the game.

Danny Crates, who took gold in the 800m at the 2004 Paralympic Games in Athens; Denise Lewis, the heptathlon champion at Sydney; Shirley Robertson, double Olympic gold medallist in sailing, and Daley Thompson, who won the Decathlon in 1980 and 1984 will be among those present.

Internet games

The new scratch card is set to be the first in a series of dedicated Olympic lotteries.

Future games could be internet-based as well as themed around one-off events such as the Beijing Olympics in 2008.

BBC sports news correspondent Andy Swiss said Olympic organisers were keen to introduce the new game while the success of London's bid was fresh in people's minds.

Other streams of revenue will come from International Olympic Committee TV and marketing deals; sponsorship and official suppliers; ticket revenues and licensing.

The Government is spending £800m redeveloping the Lower Lea Valley and £7bn on London's transport infrastructure. But none of this is being funded from the Olympic budget.
Old July 27th, 2005, 11:40 AM   #20
Peyre
Waiting for 122

Likes (Received): 0

I might buy a few as I won't be paying the taxes to pay for it, so tis a nice way to contribute.

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ldntower/
Peyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, olympics