daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Leeds Metro Area

Leeds Metro Area Leeds, Bradford and West Yorkshire

Old October 14th, 2005, 10:28 AM   #1
Simon22

Likes (Received): 0

East Leeds radial road, and inner ring road stage 7

Anyone know when this link from Cross Green to the M1 is due to the built? Needs to be done asap IMO to open up the vast area of vacant industrial land in the SE of the city. In terms of creating business/jobs I think it’s more important than the Supertram.
Simon22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 14th, 2005, 05:33 PM   #2
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 425

Do you mean the A63 East Leeds Link Road to J45?

If so:
Cost: £25m
Duration: 4 Years
Length: 8 KM

Work could begin this Autumn (aka any time now) was the last news, from February after securing minor property and financing problems (which were very small). The road should be open by 2009- signposts have already been erected at J45.

M1/M62 in Leeds also have widening plans, and the inner ring road has completion plans. A rumored East Leeds Orbital Route (spurring off the SE Orbital (M1) to the A58) seems to be a while away if plans do exist...
Old October 16th, 2005, 09:45 PM   #3
Antmccarthy

IRR Stage 7

Hi

I can confirm that Leeds Inner Ring Road is well and truely under construction. One major compound which is expanding is the area just to the rear of Hunslet Motor Auctions.

I dare say that major construction work should begin before Christmas.

Cheers

Tony Mac
Leeds Construction Link
Antmccarthy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 11:16 PM   #4
Leeds No.1

get in!
Old October 17th, 2005, 10:28 AM   #5
Simon22

Are they calling it the A63? Surely not as there is already an A63 that runs to Selby.

Anyway that's the road I was on about.

As for that East Leeds Obrital route or Crossgates/Seacroft bypass, the latter doesn't sound as good does it!, plans for that were originally drawn up 15 years ago but were shelved. There was a LOT of opposition from local people at the time. If the plans have been resurrected I would be suprised.
Old October 17th, 2005, 12:40 PM   #6
Stig282

Anything that bypasses Seacroft is A GoodThing(tm)
Stig282 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 05:16 PM   #7
Leeds No.1

A map on the Thorpe Park Website suggests an East Leeds Orbital Route...
Old October 18th, 2005, 09:20 AM   #8
Simon22

Suggesting and building are very different things as you will be aware!

That map map on Thorpe Parks website is not wholly accurate, the road would continue past the A58 to join the outer ring road just north of Roundhay Park.

I've hijacked this from another site:

Looking at the UDP in closer detail, there appears to be a post-2011 housing proposal known as "Phase 2 Eastern Edge" which is roughly in the same area. The area is 215ha, extending from the edge of Manston, to the west of the A58 at Wetherby Rd, and include Grimes Dyke (Supertram terminus?) and Red Hall. It would include housing, employment, green space and ancillary uses.

Leeds City Council will

1) prepare a development framework for the site

2) assess the need for an orbital relief road, hopefully funded by the development

3) provide appropriate highway infrastructure incorporating public transport (supertram/busway)

etc.

I believe the road assessment (number 2) was done October 2003, by their consultants Pell Frischmann.

I quote from the UDP:

"New highway infrastructure will be required at an appropriate level based upon an assessment of the need for an orbital relief road which would not only serve the development but offer an alternative to the A6120 Ring Road and could relieve the main built up area from congestion. The costs involved with a new orbital relief road will be borne by the developer."

So any developer of the land cited above would have to be pay for the new road!
Old October 18th, 2005, 01:18 PM   #9
CharlieP
Prepare to die.

Likes (Received): 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon22
Are they calling it the A63? Surely not as there is already an A63 that runs to Selby.
Diverting an existing "road" is nothing new - the A50 used to run from Leicester to Coalville, it's now the bypass to the south of Derby...
Old October 18th, 2005, 01:23 PM   #10
Simon22

This wouldn't be a diversion, though. If you look at a map of Leeds it would make absolutley no sense to call this new road the A63 as it does not join or go near the existing A63 which is an existing major trunk road.
Old October 21st, 2005, 07:16 PM   #11
Rob
Proponent of Leeds

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmccarthy
Hi

I can confirm that Leeds Inner Ring Road is well and truely under construction. One major compound which is expanding is the area just to the rear of Hunslet Motor Auctions.

I dare say that major construction work should begin before Christmas.

Cheers

Tony Mac
Leeds Construction Link
That's going to have a long raised viaduct portion around the South Accomodation Road area (I think) and link to the M621, should be a really useful new link directly into central Leeds, and should open up some new views of central Leeds.
Rob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 11:36 PM   #12
Skychaser 2005

Likes (Received): 136

Tonights YEP:

We've got it! Cash is secured for link road
£32m scheme will generate 30,000 jobs
By DAVID MARSH and PAUL ROBINSON
CHRISTMAS came early to Leeds today when the city was handed a £5.3m present which will trigger one of the North's biggest regeneration schemes and create up to 30,000 new jobs.
After a five-year wait Government ministers finally gave the city the cash needed to build the East Leeds Link Road, which will open up huge tracts of derelict land in the lower Aire Valley for commercial and industrial development.
The new route promises to bring jobs to the doorstep of some of the city's most deprived communities including Hunslet, Halton Moor, Richmond Hill and East End Park.
And today a delighted Coun Andrew Carter, council leader, said: "At last, we've got it. This road is terribly important to the city's economic future and the Government's decision is wonderful news."
The road will run from junction 45 of the M1 – built but not yet in use – through Cross Green and join the Inner Ring Road at South Accommodation Road.
Leeds desperately needs large sites for factories, offices and warehouses and the developments carried out following the construction of the link road will help drive forward the city's economy for the next 20 years.
Delays
The road scheme was approved five years ago but it has been delayed amid financial wrangling and a series of technical issues raised by the Department for Transport.
The Government originally agreed to contribute £9.5m to the £32m project but the costs rose and Leeds needed an extra £5m from Whitehall.
There was concern last week when a transport funding announcement made by the Government made no mention of the link road.
Hilary Benn MP (Lab, Leeds Central) and the council lobbied ministers and today the Government confirmed it was increasing its contribution to £14.8m.
Work on the road is now expected to start next year.
Coun Carter, who recently joined Michael Howard on one of his last official jobs as Tory leader in visiting the site of the proposed new route, said: "We were very concerned that we might be losing this scheme which would have been devastating for Leeds.
"We lobbied hard and can now look forward to a regeneration scheme which is of crucial importance to the whole region."
Mr Benn said: "I am delighted with the Department for Transport's announcement. It's a great Christmas present for Leeds.
"The road will be a catalyst for a regeneration project which is of vital importance to the city's economic growth. "
Leeds Chamber of Commerce policy director Ian Williams "wholeheartedly welcomed" the funding decision.
He told the YEP: "It's long overdue – now let's get on with building the road."
Today's news follows a series of setbacks which had led some to claim that Leeds was getting a raw deal on transport.
The city's £500m Supertram scheme was axed last month, while plans for high-speed bus lanes on the A65 Kirkstall Road have also failed to win financial backing from the Government.
Boom
Experts have warned that increasing traffic congestion could slam the brakes on Leeds's recent economic boom.
Martin Bowers, chairman of Gipton ALO (Ambertons, Lawrences and Oak Tree Drive) Tenants' and Residents' Association, welcomed the plans.
He said: "If it turns out, as they are saying, people will get behind it, and I don't just mean Gipton people. It could be good for people in places like Seacroft and Halton Moor if they get the transport links they need.
"There has been a lack of investment in a lot of things in east Leeds and transport is one of them.
22 December 2005

Its all good news with this new road getting the go ahead and the final stage of the Inner Ring Road starting next year.
Skychaser 2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2005, 10:16 AM   #13
Simon22

Saw this last night and thought it was excellent news. I guess after the kick in the teeth with the Supertram decision to deny us to extra few million for this road would have been too much.

As well as creating new jobs it should help ease congestion on neighbouring road corridors. Plus it will turn what is a bit of a eyesore into something more attractive to those passing the area on the M1.
Old December 23rd, 2005, 10:53 AM   #14
Simon22

From the BBC:

Planning permission has already been granted for a 1.1m sq ft office and hotel development at Skelton Business Park next to the unopened junction 45.

A planning application has also been submitted for a mixed use development on 40 hectares (98 acres) of land at nearby Skelton Moor Farm.
Old December 23rd, 2005, 06:39 PM   #15
Rob
Proponent of Leeds

Excellant news indeed, this will really help Leeds no end, and all of Leeds as it will help link up a whole quarter of the city and improve links to the motorway network for everyone. Hopefully, as stated in the Leeds Council anouncement, it should commence next year without further delay.
Old January 12th, 2006, 03:56 PM   #16
Metrolink

No1 - I am surprised by you're pleasure at this proposal, I thought your environmental tendencies would mean that you were against this proposal - after all, isn't this the reason that you are against the M6 widening, or do your environmental policies depend on which city would benifit from the new roads?
Metrolink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 06:32 PM   #17
Leeds No.1

Well, the M6 widening is something that really has no other purpose other than to relieve congestion. The route is one where I'd rather see the money put into more rail services. The M6 BNRR though I was for. The East Leeds Link Road however has some obvious advantages- a direct link to the M1, some congestion relief but the major advantage is that it will quite literally open up this whole area of the Aire Valley that could create several new districts to the city. This isn't something so much to do with the environment, instead something that makes sense. The road widenings on the motorways around Leeds I'm against though. Schemes which are pureley to relieve congestion where public transport is available I'm against. The M6 toll was to releive congestion but there is no direct public transport from spaghetti junction up to where it meets the M6. But most of the M6 follows the WCML which could be improved. So thats why, makes sense more than anything.
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:23 AM   #18
Simon22

Further, this road will open up a massive brownfield site with the potential to create up to 36,000 new jobs (the neighbouring residential districts are some of the poorest in Leeds so this will undoubtedly be benficial to these residents). It will reduce the need to build major industrial sites on greenfield sites around the city so could be said to beneficial to the environment.
Old July 4th, 2006, 07:13 PM   #19
Rob
Proponent of Leeds

Found some excellant information on the inner ring road completion, which has now been under construction for two-three months.

If you look on the Leeds City Council web site, in the living section, and in the roads and transport section, there are .pdf files with a detailed drawing plan, a large arial photo with the road marked on (small version below), and other road closure/detours information.

The views from the raised 200m going past Clarence Dock should be excellant.
Old July 4th, 2006, 07:35 PM   #20
Leeds No.1

What a good find How exciting!