search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Miami

Miami Includes Broward and Palm Beach Counties
» Development News

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 15th, 2017, 08:43 AM   #8761
CalleOchoGringo

Likes (Received): 2636

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
By the way, MDT just missed a big opportunity to add parking to Dadeland North with the TOD apartment tower that is going up on MDT owned land next door. They could have required the developer to include added metrorail parking as part of the tower.
Ooooooor, given everyone in Miami a big opportunity to move INTO one of those ToD buildings so they don't have to schlep from the suburbs park in the garage anymore.

It's all in the perspective.
CalleOchoGringo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2017, 08:46 AM   #8762
CalleOchoGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerxesjc28 View Post

Connection Made: Tri-Rail One Step Closer To Rolling Into Downtown Miami

...Service is expected to begin in the second quarter of 2018...
Ok so I'm going to read between the lines here and guess that "second quarter of 2018" means that's what Brightline told them because that's when THEY expect to be done with the train station and thus, there also won't be brightline service south of FLL before then right?

So, this is our new Augtember?
Old November 15th, 2017, 06:11 PM   #8763
xerxesjc28

Likes (Received): 1187

It will happen eventually. What I am more concerned about is Tri-Rail getting funds to add 2-3 stations in that line, there is more than enough room for some.

Originally Posted by aceflamingo23:http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1108
xerxesjc28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 07:26 PM   #8764
marcvader
not a half-stepper

Likes (Received): 5020

I'm concerned about Brightline not even allowing Tri-Rail to build stations along the FEC. I think they're considering doing local themselves which would mean you'd have to transfer if you lived by a Tri Rail station but then wanted to go to Midtown or NMB. I doubt the pricing would be the same either as Brightline is a more plush service.

Either spend the money to do it right or don't do it at all. These half measures are a joke and setting up for failure down the line.

marcvader está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 11:36 PM   #8765
xerxesjc28

Likes (Received): 1187

That is a big concern. Does the FEC own the new connection that Tri-Rail Built to connect to Downtown? I believe a station could be built there.

I wonder do you think the reason Brightline does not want Tri-Rail to build stuff is not so much that they are going to do their own local service as much as they want no possible competition to develop?

Originally Posted by aceflamingo23:http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1108
xerxesjc28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 02:11 AM   #8766
CalleOchoGringo

Pretty sure you weren't asking me but my opinion anyway:

I doubt they DON'T want (passenger) competition to develop. It's easy to think that there's a limited pie of passengers available and they want all of it but more likely is that they understand the dynamics of ANY population center outside of the NE corridor that becomes excited about train commuting is a win-win for all parties including them.
IOW: the pie is not fixed in size but can grow enormously if car traffic keeps getting worse and worse (like it is) and people warm up to living in ToD and high density areas along any SoFla train station in the years to come (like they are doing).

HOWEVER, it's VERY possible that, because they are mainly a freight company first, they are concerned with other companies passenger trains competing for space on the limited rails with AAF's freight service. That to me is a more likely scenario.

Shrimpo7 liked this post
Old November 16th, 2017, 06:05 PM   #8767
BaybyBoomer

Likes (Received): 1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerxesjc28 View Post
That is a big concern. Does the FEC own the new connection that Tri-Rail Built to connect to Downtown? I believe a station could be built there.

I wonder do you think the reason Brightline does not want Tri-Rail to build stuff is not so much that they are going to do their own local service as much as they want no possible competition to develop?
My $0.02: Brightline wants their local line to be popular because they see more development opportunities with the local stations.
BaybyBoomer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 07:14 PM   #8768
UrbanImpact

Likes (Received): 1501

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaybyBoomer View Post
My $0.02: Brightline wants their local line to be popular because they see more development opportunities with the local stations.
I'd imagine property values would skyrocket near those new stations along the FEC tracks (like mine!).
Old November 17th, 2017, 01:34 AM   #8769
CalleOchoGringo

Oh absolutely... and FEC wants to own as much of that land as possible before the skyrocketting starts happening. Like some of us have said before... they're really a real estate company in disguise, not unlike railroad companies of the 1800's, or McDonalds today (flipping burgers is a thing they do, owning the land underneath, that's their real business).

spellbound, theEmbarcadero, Shrimpo7 liked this post
Old November 17th, 2017, 03:30 AM   #8770
marcvader
not a half-stepper

Likes (Received): 5020

Oh so you saw The Founder? It was pretty good. My first job was at a McDonalds. They definitely painted a different picture of Koch.

Either spend the money to do it right or don't do it at all. These half measures are a joke and setting up for failure down the line.

marcvader está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 07:14 AM   #8771
CalleOchoGringo

Actually I have not seen the movie, though I might watch it. But it's well known among anyone who studied Ray Kroc that that was his strategy.