daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Midwest and Plains > Development News

Old February 2nd, 2007, 11:31 PM   #1
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 0

Milwaukee Suburban Development News

So much is happening in the Milwaukee area, I don't think you could fit it all in one thread! This thread is dedicated to anything happening outside of downtown Milwaukee that will have an impact on the city's growth.

Here are some of the projects taking place recently in the area.

Icon Condo/Hotel/Medical plans near Mayfair (in planning stages)

Crowne Plaza Hotel @ the Milwaukee County Research Park (under construction)

Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare Outpatient Hospital in Franklin (under construction)

Belmont Center in West Allis, near State Fair Park

New construction @ Froedtert Memorial Hospital...
Cancer Center (under construction)

Biomedical Research Center (website says it was supposed to be done in December)

Pabst Farms Residential/Retail/Office/Medical/High Tech Industrial development in Oconomowoc

If more projects come out they will be put on here as well.

Last edited by brewcityfan; February 2nd, 2007 at 11:39 PM.
brewcityfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 3rd, 2007, 02:39 AM   #2
shane453

Likes (Received): 1

The Icon development is very impressive, and the Pabst farms is neat too.
shane453 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 04:16 AM   #3
UWMilwaukeeJay

Cudahy: the turn around continues

Cudahy may get indoor market
Food vendors, other shops could find South Shore home
By LINDA SPICE
lspice@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Feb. 4, 2007
A South Shore indoor market envisioned to attract a butcher, wine store, fine chocolatier, coffee shop, fish monger and other vendors could find a home in Cudahy's downtown under a developer's $4.5 million to $6 million proposal.

Lee R. Barczak, president and owner of Greendale-based MK Realty LLC, has told Cudahy officials that he is interested in constructing 28,000 to 42,000 square feet of retail and commercial space within two buildings on the northwest and southwest corners of Packard Ave. and Library Drive.

Cudahy and Barczak have signed a memorandum of understanding, a good-faith agreement that is not legally binding, in negotiating the formal terms. The project seeks public financial assistance in the form of a $600,000 special tax district.

The concept of an indoor market on the South Shore will likely draw comparisons to the Milwaukee Public Market in the city's Third Ward. The 21,500-square-foot, $10.5 million project was financed with donations and a $2.5 million federal grant.

It drew an estimated 20,000 visitors to its opening weekend a year ago, but the market is still working to attract returning customers and has lost some vendors.

This past week, the market was without a butcher, after Lakeside Poultry & Meats closed up shop. In an interview on the first anniversary of the market last fall, Lakeside's manager, Al Krause, said the business was losing money. Last month, a florist left for the same reason
UWMilwaukeeJay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #4
exit_320

There is no Cudahy turnaround, just a lot of plans and hopes. They have a long way to go before progress is made, and no Jay, I am not suggesting SM is better (but we both know it is )
exit_320 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 07:00 PM   #5
UWMilwaukeeJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
There is no Cudahy turnaround, just a lot of plans and hopes. They have a long way to go before progress is made, and no Jay, I am not suggesting SM is better (but we both know it is )
Point taken. Cudahy still has a long way to go. If the KRM rail line is built they will have a stop right in 'downtown' & so will S. Milwaukee. Some enthusiasts of the rail say it will "boom" the local economy. I find it hard to believe that a rail line will effect an area to the point where its 'booming'. Though it feels as it will take til' the end of my life to build. ?!?
UWMilwaukeeJay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #6
exit_320

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWMilwaukeeJay View Post
Point taken. Cudahy still has a long way to go. If the KRM rail line is built they will have a stop right in 'downtown' & so will S. Milwaukee. Some enthusiasts of the rail say it will "boom" the local economy. I find it hard to believe that a rail line will effect an area to the point where its 'booming'. Though it feels as it will take til' the end of my life to build. ?!?
I could seriously see condo development take place in the areas around the Metra stations and then retail coming shortly to serve the new residents in the area. I think people would be really drawn to local downtown areas that were previously booming and have on fallen on hard times. I know I would be more open to moving to a suburb if I was within walking distance of a metra station.
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #7
brewcityfan

Well also look at all the developments proposed for open WE Energies and lakefront land in St. Francis...its goin crazy over there with some nice stuff.

We also have to wonder what the huge Cousins Center is going to be when its sold off....that accounts to nearly half of that suburb, with WE Energies land included.
Old February 10th, 2007, 01:41 AM   #8
brewcityfan

The Fountains of Franklin retail/office/cultural center in Franklin has got another big boost when Franklin approved its Cultural Center to be located alongside the 2nd largest development on the south side of Milwaukee.

A picture of the Cultural Center, designed by Eppstein Uhen

Pictures of the new retail/office mix (renderings)

Sendiks will be one of the primary anchors

A major upscale department store will be announced soon also.

The website is www.fountainsoffranklin.com

Last edited by brewcityfan; February 10th, 2007 at 05:33 PM.
Old February 10th, 2007, 07:04 AM   #9
D-res
BANNED

That looks nice. I don't know why but i like these 'lifestyle centers'. Bayshore is so-so but disappointing. This looks interesting.
D-res no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 07:26 AM   #10
exit_320

The Franklin project looks like a pathetic recreation attempt by suburbanites too afraid to go into the city. God forbid they have to see what the real world is like
Old February 10th, 2007, 10:14 AM   #11
D-res
BANNED

Quote:
The Franklin project looks like a pathetic recreation attempt by suburbanites too afraid to go into the city. God forbid they have to see what the real world is like

I don't think the city factor has anything to do with it. If this place offers shops not available in the city, its hardly the suburbanites fault. And if there is, why drive to a store a half hour away if there's a closer one. We'll have to see what the tenant list looks like before we can blame the suburbanites.
D-res no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #12
brewcityfan

Quote:
Would you claim that the recent Bayshore lifestyle center and the future remodeled Brookfield Square are also "pathetic recreation attempts"?? I don't know, its a toughy....and you should see the other Franklin development, the Shoppes at Wyndham Village - which looks almost the same if not a tad bit quainter than this.

I feel its the Milwaukee metro area growing and spreading out its new found wealth, and finally the southern half of the area gets something "Brookfieldized" - Franklin, Oak Creek, and Muskego at least deserve that much.

Shoppes at Wyndham Village PowerPoint presentation can be found here: http://www.steveolson.us/html/Shoppe...er%20Point.pdf
Old February 10th, 2007, 07:27 PM   #13
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Yeah, in a way I kinda agree. It's saddening to see projects like this because if all of that money was spent rebuilding the actual city, we could have one functional, productive, safe one instead of one that's dangerous and blighted and one that is on its own self defeating path down that road. On the other hand, if this type of building is going to happen in suburbia anyway, I'd much rather see it in Franklin and Oak Creek which are already in Milwaukee Co as opposed to expanding suburbia into farmland out in outer Waukesha or Washington Counties.
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #14
exit_320

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
Would you claim that the recent Bayshore lifestyle center and the future remodeled Brookfield Square are also "pathetic recreation attempts"??
Absolutely.

Quote:
I feel its the Milwaukee metro area growing and spreading out its new found wealth, and finally the southern half of the area gets something "Brookfieldized" - Franklin, Oak Creek, and Muskego at least deserve that much.
"Brookfieldized"? That is the most disgusting term I have ever heard.. almost made me throw up a bit in my mouth.
Old February 10th, 2007, 07:31 PM   #15
exit_320

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukee-kÝbenhavn View Post
On the other hand, if this type of building is going to happen in suburbia anyway, I'd much rather see it in Franklin and Oak Creek which are already in Milwaukee Co as opposed to expanding suburbia into farmland out in outer Waukesha or Washington Counties.
Agreed
Old February 10th, 2007, 09:50 PM   #16
brewcityfan

Quote:
"Brookfieldized"? That is the most disgusting term I have ever heard.. almost made me throw up a bit in my mouth.
sorry about the near incident there! I just took the term from the Journal Sentinel when they were talking about that McDs across from Brookfield Square during its rehab from a standard one to one that was "Brookfieldized".

I agree with milwaukee-kÝbenhavn on both his thoughts: the city and developers both need to spend more money in the city, although what they're currently doing in the Park East and Third Ward and in some areas Walkers Point is amazing, and I'm very glad that Franklin, OC, etc are getting their fair share of development that would most likely be in places outside of Milwaukee County.

I think that at least Milwaukee County will be benefiting from an increased tax base in business, no matter how big or small that will be.
Old February 12th, 2007, 12:01 AM   #17
brewcityfan

Quote:
New Berlin panel OKs hotel, water park
Some said changes mean project needs another hearing
By BRANDON LORENZ
Special to the Journal Sentinel
Posted: Feb. 5, 2007
New Berlin - Plan commissioners voted 5-1 Monday night to give final approval to a 405-room, 110-foot-high hotel and water park near W. Greenfield Ave. and S. Moorland Road over objections from some city residents who said the plan should have another public hearing.

The Deer Creek Inn and Conference Center, a 1.1-million-square-foot hotel at 1401 S. Moorland Road, would include five levels of underground parking, two floors of mixed retail space, five levels of hotel rooms and a conference facility that would accommodate 1,500 people.

A planned unit development for a hotel had been approved by the city in 1999 and again in 2001. The plan approved Monday had a number of changes, including a taller height, the addition of a third restaurant and an agreement that would allow developer Don Kitten to forgo a $1 million contribution to the city to improve storm-water treatment.

In exchange, the hotel will have all underground parking and a garden roof that traps most of the storm water. The roof also will direct storm water and melted snow into a basement cistern where water is stored and reused to hydrate landscaping and nearby wetlands.

Changes in plans
Plan commissioners debated the proposal for nearly two hours. Ald. Dave Ament, a commissioner, said the building's 110-foot height was taller than allowed under the proposal's planned unit development agreement and would require a new public hearing. Ament also expressed concerns that construction of the five-floor underground parking would disturb the wells of neighboring residents.

"I have a huge problem with the amount of changes that are in here compared to the previous presentations," said Ament, who voted against the move.

Plans submitted by Kitten estimate that the facility would use 1.1 million gallons of water a month. Mayor Jack Chiovatero said the hotel would be served from municipal wells and that the city had adequate capacity.

Kitten said he hopes to begin construction this year and finish by spring 2009.
I'm glad to hear that they found another way of getting water to that site without needing Milwaukee's assistance. Otherwise, that could have led to nothing happening on that site at all, since some Milwaukee aldermen were questioning the usage of Lake Michigan water...
Old February 12th, 2007, 03:13 AM   #18
Oshkosh49

Anybody know the development pricetag on this project?
Oshkosh49 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 03:53 AM   #19
Kyoto

Quote:
BAH! We all know St. Francis is superior to both Cudahy and South Milwaukee combined!!

(No offense meant of course! I live fairly close to St. Francis on the south side of Mke. Im just one of those municipal imperialists lol)

Last edited by Kyoto; February 13th, 2007 at 03:59 AM.
Kyoto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #20
araman0
Purdue U. / Marquette U.

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Agreed.
araman0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote