daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 201 votes, 4.84 average.
Old August 25th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #1
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 502

Olympic Stadium Redevelopment | Olympic Park | 60,000 Capacity | U/C

The main features of the design are:

Bowl - a sunken bowl built into the ground for the field of play and lower permanent seating, designed to bring spectators close to the action;

Seats – 25,000 permanent, 55,000 demountable;

Roof - a cable-supported roof will stretch 28m the whole way around the stadium, providing cover for two thirds of spectators;

Wrap – a fabric curtain 'large wrap' will go around the stadium structure, acting as additional protection and shelter for spectators;

Pods – facilities such as catering and merchandising will be grouped into self-contained ‘pod’ structures, adding to the spectator experience around the access level of the stadium.

Site - the stadium is on an 'island site' with rivers and cannals around it.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by jerseyboi; March 13th, 2012 at 07:11 PM.
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 25th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #2
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 502

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 10:29 PM   #3
Jamandell (d69)
Skyscraperholic

Likes (Received): 96

I'm sure there was a Stadium topic in the UK forums somewhere, oh well.

I hope they do decide to go for the video screen wrap around the stadium. They could make it simple like the small LEDS used on the umbrellas in the handover ceremony. I imagine it wouldn't be too expensive and if it was at a huge scale, it would create clear images.
Jamandell (d69) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 12:30 AM   #4
delores

Likes (Received): 189

they have to, we have to be better than Beijing! I'm saying that with some doubt.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 12:35 AM   #5
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 6644

That's a pretty comprehensive and helpful start to the thread, jerseyboi - thanks mate.
Old August 26th, 2008, 12:37 AM   #6
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 332

The white tubular steel frame looks so 'yesterday' & 'Maralan' to me .... I think I've been brainwashed by the Birds Nest!
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 02:39 AM   #7
potto

Likes (Received): 2082

I dont know, just tilt your head side to side rapidly and squint
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 02:52 AM   #8
Tark

Likes (Received): 21

I was interested in this thread until I found it didn't fit my vdu.
Tark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 10:38 AM   #9
Assa

Likes (Received): 4

I like this 'low key' approach - a nice change from the grandeur and huge scale of Beijing. I imagine despite the 91K capacity, the crowd felt quite lost at times in the Birds Nest. The London stadium is much smaller but has a capacity of only 11K less so I would imagine the atmosphere will be fantastic. I'm going to watch this and the other 2012 developments with interest over the next 3.5 years.
Assa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #10
jonnyboy

Likes (Received): 73

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7574608.stm
jonnyboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 02:43 PM   #11
BS1

Likes (Received): 0

Hi guys - My first post in the London/2012 forum, though a long time reader - I'm usually to be found over on the Bristol forum, though I'm so excited by the 2012 village, I wanted to join in here! Hope that's OK.

Thought I'd start with this cool time-lapse video of the stadium from the official 2012 website...
BS1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #12
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1942

London's Olympic Stadium starts to take shape
26 August, 2008
By Sophie Griffiths
New images reveal latest elements of 2012 stadium to be constructed.

Progress on the 2012 Olympic Park was made clearly visible this week in a series of new images revealing the columns of the Olympic Stadium emerging out of the ground.

More than 100 columns, each 5m high, have already been constructed, and act as the support for the podium on the Stadium’s west and south stands.

John Armitt, ODA chairman said: “As these new images show, the Olympic Stadium is already beginning to rise out of the ground and over the coming months, we will begin to see the size and scale of this flagship venue.”

Construction started in May this year, three months earlier than originally planned, and work to create the foundations of the Olympic Stadium is nearing completion, with more than 3500 of the 4000 permanent piles already installed.

“As the eyes of the world turn from Beijing to London, they will see that real progress is being made to create the new venues and infrastructure for the 2012 games,” said Armitt.

DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 03:52 PM   #13
DarJoLe

CABE Design review
Main Stadium for the London 2012 Olympic Games
Main venue for the Olympic and Paralympic Games that will seat 80,000 during the Games and will be converted to a 25,000 seat athletics stadium in legacy.

Review date: 28 July 2008
Lead designer: HOK Sport
Client: Olympic Delivery Authority
Local authority: Olympic Delivery Authority
Region: London
Categories: Culture and leisure

We also reviewed this scheme on 18 January 2008.

Summary

We support the simple, elegant and efficient strategy for a temporary Olympic stadium structure with a permanent facility that becomes integrated into the Legacy Park landscape. This narrative has been successfully sustained and clarified both in safeguarding Legacy development options and in the logical resolution of the temporary stadium structure. However, we think there is a risk that the potential clarity and simplicity of the stadium concept could yet be lost in the detailed resolution of those elements which fall outside the scope of the Stage 2 planning application and the responsibility of the stadium design team.

Specifically, we are disappointed that our previous concerns about embracing the potential of the temporary wrap and ‘pod’ kiosks and creating an appropriate landscape setting have not been addressed in the current planning submission. These elements will, in part, determine the quality and character of the public realm during the Games and merit the same clarity of conception and concentrated design thinking as the permanent venues. We are equally concerned that the experience of the stadium's 'dark space' is unresolved at this point. The planning authority will need to assure itself that all of the above issues are resolved to its satisfaction prior to determination of the planning application.

Stage 2 planning application

While we welcome the commitment to joint working between the Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) and London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games (LOCOG), we think that urgent decisive action is needed to resolve the design of the temporary elements and the relationship of venues to their landscape setting. Otherwise, in the case of the main stadium, there is a danger that indicative designs will become actual designs by default. We are concerned that submitting a planning application at this stage will fix these key elements of the design before they have been successfully resolved. We therefore think it is essential that the planning authority satisfies itself that a convincing strategy for the design of the wrap is proposed now, rather than deferring the decision to be dealt with as planning conditions.

Superstructure and interior circulation space

We continue to applaud the structural logic of the temporary stadium. The structural solution, including the lighting, holds out the prospect of a memorable experience at night for visitors. We welcome the idea of restringing the roof structure as a memory of the Olympics for the reduced capacity Legacy facility.The design of the west stand pavilion is compositionally well judged and respects the primacy of the main stadium.

We think that further consideration is required on the treatment of the blank interior circulation space. Given the temporary life of this space, it will require a different sort of consideration from a permanent venue. The design team should accurately convey the experience of walking through this space in the planning application material to ensure there is no ambiguity about its character. Based on the illustrations presented, the space appears so constrained by toilet block containers that they may make it uncomfortable for visitors. Furthermore, the area is described as a 'dark space' but there is no indication as to how dark or light it will be. In our view, this internal concourse space must function as an important social space providing retreat and shelter. It is currently unclear whether the space can function in this way. The planning authority should also satisfy itself that the dark treatment of this interior space enhances the visitor experience rather than, at worst, miserably detracts from it.

Wrap

The shift in emphasis from the floating horizontal wrap of the competition winning scheme, to a wall of vertical banners seems to have resulted from a misconceived desire to use figurative images - which continue to appear in the detailed planning application. We warmly welcome the intention to involve an artist in the treatment of the wrap. Through engaging fully with an artist, we believe the project will find the concentration of creative intelligence and design integration with the architecture and engineering that it requires. As the most visible element of the most televised Olympic venue, the wrap has the potential to become a memorable symbol of the Games. Therefore, it is essential that the wrap is treated as an inspiring and evocative artwork rather than a display for Olympic imagery or information signage as shown in the indicative material submitted. The planning authority should assure itself that signage is appropriate for the building as part of a clear way-finding strategy, and not considered as an afterthought.

The detailed execution of the wrap will be essential in achieving a successful outcome; the planning authority should satisfy itself that its technical specifications demonstrate a high level of design quality. It should also be confident that sufficient thought has been devoted to the appearance and performance of the wrap in different conditions over the anticipated two-year lifespan, including the density of the fabric, how it is fixed to attenuate wind noise, its durability and the impact of lighting proposals for it on the quality and character of the public realm at night.

Landscape setting

While we continue to support the legible concept of a stadium island, the clarity and confidence of this original idea is not represented in the indicative landscape proposals, either visually or functionally. It is disappointing at this stage not to see the stadium’s immediate setting resolved. It would be unfortunate if this lack of resolution frustrates the stadium’s integration with the larger Olympic Park setting.

Nonetheless, we welcome the London Development Agency (LDA) and ODA acting as joint clients on the Olympic Park landscape, as we understand it, to address key challenges in the shifting formal requirements of the landscape during Games mode through to Legacy. It is incumbent upon both parties to establish a clear strategy and proposition about how the landscaping of the stadium and its environs will be used and/or adapted in Legacy mode.

Pods

It is incumbent on the ODA together with LOCOG to establish, as soon as is practicable, a clear strategy for the design procurement of the pods which will provide visitors' facilities across the Park and beyond. In our view, this programme should be procured separately through a design competition involving young designers.

Sustainability

We continue to support the principle of a low embodied energy solution that embraces the temporary structure. However, given the scale and cost of the steel, the wrap, and the yet un-designed temporary accommodation, we think that further thought is needed to capture their potential re-use in the long term by ensuring they are specifically designed to be re-located or recycled post Games. For example, we think the temporary accommodation should be designed with a specific location and Legacy function in mind, possibly for community use.

Access

We continue to think that the design ethos for the stadium should positively discriminate in favour of disabled visitors during the Paralympics and to ensure that investment in access is carried forward into Legacy. In balancing the demands of an efficient and sustainable structure with inclusive design, we think it is essential that accessibility and choice for wheelchair users is optimised rather than designed merely to meet minimum standards.

Conclusion

The current challenge of designing individual venues before their wider context is determined requires a careful balance between process, construction, cost, and time in order to achieve the necessary level of architectural and landscape quality. The concerns raised go beyond the responsibility of the stadium design team and will require a co-ordinated and urgent effort from the ODA and LOCOG to resolve, in discussion with the planning authority and the LDA. In particular, we think a clear park-wide attitude towards the relationship of the venues to their setting is required. Greater collaboration is needed amongst Olympic delivery partners based on a clear division of responsibilities. CABE and Design for London would welcome the opportunity to discuss this strategy.
Old August 26th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #14
oliviersa
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by delores View Post
they have to, we have to be better than Beijing! I'm saying that with some doubt.
Impossible. The budget of Beijing is 3 times as high.

The olympic stadium comes as a massive disappointment to me.

Sebastian Coe basically said to world medias that it will be useless to compare the facilities in London with Beijing. We know that they will be far below.

The good point is that London 2012 will regenerate an entire deprived area.
oliviersa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #15
london lad

Likes (Received): 507

Webcam of the stadium

http://www.formanandfield.com/fisheyeview
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 06:26 PM   #16
Tony Resta
T-Stays

Likes (Received): 27

the original stadium design was so much better and imo superior to the birds nest, such a high quality design that was.

Tony Resta | Official Website
Tony Resta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #17
DarJoLe

It would have looked nothing like those renders in reality. The internal design is actually a technically inferior layout from the point of the athletes and spectators to the one we are getting.
Old August 26th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #18
Octoman
Just Relax

Likes (Received): 3038

I think the design we have looks fine actually. In fact the island location gives it a setting that is far more beautiful than the giant bus park the birds nest was it. The stadium itself is far from a disgrace and will look great inside with its bowl shaped design. I was unsure at first but the more I see of this the more I like it.
Octoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 07:06 PM   #19
potto

Likes (Received): 2082

yes the island site fit really enhances the architecture, gives it meaning, a bit like the dome on the peninsular
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #20
Manuel

Likes (Received): 15

The pods will detract from the stadium...I'd better be deaf! detract from what?

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympics

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: