daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Completed Manchester Projects

Completed Manchester Projects Completed projects in the Greater Manchester area.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old April 21st, 2006, 11:10 AM   #1
BeardedGenius
Clean-shaven and foolish

Likes (Received): 1

People's History Museum | Left Bank | Spinningfields

I thought the £7m refurb deserved its own thread...

I also thought this new render would interest a few people who were decidedly underwhelmed by the design of ASL's extension to the museum - as you can see, it's slightly different:

New render?

Interestly, the same bloke's walking past in both renders - I wonder what his story is...

Old render 1

Old render 2
insane love of football, of celebration and of music."
Eric Daniel Pierre Cantona
BeardedGenius no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 21st, 2006, 11:59 AM   #2
highriser

Likes (Received): 19

That peice of crap dos'nt deserve anything
highriser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:07 PM   #3
Jongeman
van het noorden

Much prefer new render to either old I or 2. It's ok for what is a small niche museum.
Jongeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:20 PM   #4
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

That bloke is a professional render-walk on extra.
I asked b4mmy where they get the figures from on the renders (most notable a really badly dressed fella in an 80's suit in a Piccadilly Place render) and he assures me they hire them to walk about in their computers for the day and they type instructions for where to stand.
Apparently!
Re new PM render - better but must try harder. See me!
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:36 PM   #5
High-Fi
Littlemoss, Shameside

Likes (Received): 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Longford
That bloke is a professional render-walk on extra....he assures me they hire them to walk about in their computers for the day and they type instructions for where to stand.
I could do that, I've still got the bad 80's clothes too. Did b4mmy happen to mention what the rate of pay was?
High-Fi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:39 PM   #6
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by High-Fi
I could do that, I've still got the bad 80's clothes too. Did b4mmy happen to mention what the rate of pay was?
A bottle of Coke and all the Twiglets you can eat!
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:42 PM   #7
High-Fi
Littlemoss, Shameside

Likes (Received): 220

I'll have to steer my lovely career in another direction then...I don't do Coke, I like my teeth too much.

(obscure reference included)
High-Fi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 01:01 PM   #8
BeardedGenius
Clean-shaven and foolish

What's currently there (sans extension):

insane love of football, of celebration and of music."
Eric Daniel Pierre Cantona
BeardedGenius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #9
SleepyOne

Following up last week's news. Taken from World Architecture News.

Quote:
Austin-Smith:Lord apply for planning permission to take the People's History Museum into the future

In January 2006 the Heritage Lottery Fund agreed to grant the Peoples History Museum £7.18m to facilitate its proposed one site project, subject to a Successful Stage 2 application. Based in Manchester, The Peoples History Museum focuses upon an internationally important collection, which includes the National Archive of the Labour Party, collections relating to the TUC, The UK Communist Party, Women’s Suffrage and the Co-op Movement amongst others. The Museum is unequaled in its collection of Trade Union banners from around the world, supported by world leading in house textile conservation expertise. The additional space will be made available through the creation of a new 4 storey extension, providing a new public entrance, galleries, conservation studio, archive and public reading room. The key to the design of the extension is the ability to deliver a building that contains the collections within an appropriate environment, one which ensures a comfortable visitor experience and is both enjoyable and memorable; one which provides a healthy working situation for staff and visitor. The texture of the facade is rich and strong in tonal composition, the visual impression it creates is dependant on time of day and conditions of light and weather, this ambiguity inherent in the material offers a visually tantalizing way of reflecting the disparate yet united elements of the collection within.
Old May 14th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #10
SleepyOne

Further images

Old May 14th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #11
SleepyOne

I know previous incarnations of this project have taken some criticism but I have to say I do like this latest incanation.

It manages to strike the right balance between a sympathetic continuation of the different shapes and masses of the current Pumphouse buildings which line the riverbank whilst also complementing the more slick, monolithic look of some of the blocks in Spinningfields. Its also pleasingly subtle so as not to compete or detract from Manchester's major new civic landmark, the CJC building.
Old May 14th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #12
flange

Likes (Received): 577

ya defiantly is alot better looking than the previous render we have seen and it looks like as SleepyOne has said will sit in the area with the original museum and CJC very well
flange está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 09:51 PM   #13
highriser

Likes (Received): 19

Its much better than the first proposal ,, i hope the cladding is similar to the
3PP that is going up .
highriser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #14
kids

Likes (Received): 172

I think i spoke too soon when i criticised this, this was the side i was worried about, and it's not bad at all. More detailed and as sleepyone mentions, subtle. I like.

Still don't like the curved side facing the CJC, though, still a bit ugly there.
kids no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #15
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

I like it. I would like to hear the pretentious justification for the design - all the symbolism etc if there is any.
I think there is some symbolism going on and its brilliantly different to the building its attached to - which is the way it should be imo.
Old May 14th, 2007, 11:45 PM   #16
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2187

Quick off topic.

Went to Urbis today. Why? What is the point? Oh,and one more thing. Cathedral Gardens is knackered. Get the Piccadilly Gardens hit squad ASAP!

PS. JR looked wonderful this afternoon. Another Manchester gem.
jrb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 11:59 PM   #17
Martin G
Compulsive : Obsessive

Likes (Received): 40

I'm not convinced with this new extension desgn at all. To me it's just yet more unsympathetic modernism simply for the sake of it. It's a similar situation at the recently redeveloped John Ryland's Library: I find the new extension way too jarring and doesn't complement the grandeur of the original building.
The former pump house is such an understated but characterful building that it would almost invariably pose a tough challenge for any proposed extension, but as it's now all but enveloped by the colossal Civil Justice Centre it seems completely out on a limb... Perhaps this is why there is now a need to drag the building screaming into the present.

And I really do fucking hate the way people these days keep limiting themselves to the same words and terms when they're talking about proposed new buildings or infrastructure projects: the hackneyed overuse of cliched phrases such as "deliver", "within budget", "sustainability", "public realm", "affordability", "...in Europe", and most of all, the truly cringeworthy "state-of-the-art", just makes me wanna gag....then hunt down the perpetrators and give them a good and thorough slapping with a large Oxford English Dictionary and Thesaurus.
147 metres: so is this the height of Birmingham's ambitions? The city surely deserves better. Arena Central / Arena Square / V Building The incredible shrinking tower: 245m --> 187m --> 175m --> 152m --> 150m --> 147m --> 143m --> ???m
Martin G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:14 AM   #18
Isaac Newell

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
Quick off topic.

Went to Urbis today. Why? What is the point? Oh,and one more thing. Cathedral Gardens is knackered. Get the Piccadilly Gardens hit squad ASAP!

PS. JR looked wonderful this afternoon. Another Manchester gem.
I've only been in Urbis twice but I've always found it to be a museum of urban culture than anything and even then they seem to employ a very wide definition which seems to include all popular culture.
Isaac Newell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 01:18 AM   #19
dgnr8
Mmm, Danone

Likes (Received): 10

The museum reminds me of the backend of Withington Baths. Wouldn't happen to have a pic would you Longford?
dgnr8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 01:44 AM   #20
Ambitious Amoeba

Likes (Received): 0

Like it except where the roofline of the extension meets the pumphouse on the river's edge. It should be stepped or somehow integrated. I'm all for asymmetry, but this detail to me just looks messy - especially when I really like other aspects of it (the way it addresses the road, the cladding etc.)

Ambitious Amoeba no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: